“IN NEED OF REFURBISHMENT”

Iberostar Torviscas Playa
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Solihull
“IN NEED OF REFURBISHMENT”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We have been to this hotel at least 6 times and have always found it to be good.

However, this time we must say it has deteriorated - the the corridors on the bedroom floors are very depressing, the wallpaper is rippling and coming away from the walls. The bedrooms/bathrooms are also in need of an update. We and many other customers refused rooms which were not what we booked or which were below standard ie. cracked tiles, poor grouting etc., in the bathrooms. The towels are hard and old. Some of the pool towels are threadbare.

The food as always is good and varied and the pool area is ok although the grouting around the tiles both inside the pool and on the steps is black in places.

The TVs in the rooms show only News channels for British customers - no BBc or ITV but plenty of Spanish & German programs. Its nice to have an hour relaxing in front of the box before going out for the night.

This hotel is in a very central location but is in need of tender loving care to bring it back to its former glory and it needs to focus on the needs of the British as a majority of the guests are British.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want to be comfortable
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Had an enjoyable holiday. Reasonable hotel in ideal location near to beach/promenade (150 m), bars, restaurants, shops.
HOTEL: Clean, comfortable, spacious. Had emailed several days prior to going to request a pool/sea view and a balcony in sunshine (as on reading review most were in shade). However, the room I was given wasn't as requested and was a side pool view without the sea, the balcony didn't see sunshine.
The hotel's reception, lounge and bar had many comfy chairs but I found that all were occupied of an evening, so I wasn't able to sit and have a drink following dinner, unless I went in to the entertainment/discoteca (more later on entertainment).
I love my cocktails and only drink them abroad on hols. However, my favourite a Pina Colada wasn't made up properly-think just a bottled mixture and tasted awful. Didn't have another in this hotel!
Very child friendly with lots of entertainment throughout day and evening and an amimation/entertainments team of about 5/6 staff members who were very bubbly and enthusiastic.
ROOM: Room 388. Spacious, room looked over road and balcony was in shade, despite requesting otherwise. View wasn't unpleasant and looked over pool area of Esmeralda Playa on other side - (they had a much smaller pool area that seemed to take a while for sun to shine in it), with mountains to the left and a small piece of sea in the far distance on the right.
I moved to this room as previous offer didnt have much of a view at all. However, I was just above the hotel's entrance so heard buses coming in and out all of the time. Also, noise from people coming out of the lifts and children running down corridors. Was next to stairs though, which is what I requested (not being able to take a lift due to claustrophobia).
Bath tap ran very slowly so was disappointed not to be able to have a soak in bath. Didnt report it as didn't think they'd be able to fix it easily - so took showers instead.
No radio alarm in room. TV was just the usual CNN News channels and only ?Bravo English channel with old repeat programmes on. No music channels either.
ENTERTAINMENT: Good selection to suit everyone. The Discoteca isn't what we know as a disco though- its basically an entertainment room with bar, many of the hotels locally call it this. If you're not in there, there's a small dance floor out near to reception area in an open lounge with an organist and older songs which a lot of elderly people enjoyed dancing to. Some nights they do blackjack and poker for an hour. Entertainments team are very good, especially with the children.
STAFF: Most spoke good English. Welcoming.
RESTAURANT: Went half board and had lunch at bars locally overlooking beach. Very disappointed with food and I'm not a fussy eater. At breakfast there were vegetables from night before including, broccoli, peas, sweetcorn and BRUSSEL SPROUTS!
Dinner was a buffet which I usually enjoy. However, this buffet I found to be very poor. Most food isn't labelled correctly. Iberostar tend to label whats in their dishes ie salt, flour eggs, so its often a guessing game. The food was repetitive, monotonous and unappetising. I got to the point where I even dreaded going in for dinner! Not me at all as I love my food. Couldnt even make up a salad to my liking. This would put me off returning.
POOL: Spacious, lovely to be in and clean. Didn't go in water though as I had 2 days of torrential rain and strong winds, reducing temperature on these days (March 9th) and gets dark at 7.30 pm. There's a pleasant sunbathing terrace away from the pool area up some steps (just near toilets) which could easily be missed if you don't go looking.
SURROUNDING AREA: Perfect location on the promenade which you can walk left for several miles and right the same. Lovely calm, clean, beaches around the area.
There are plenty of seats along the prom for those who have difficulty walking and some are in shaded areas. However, as a whole, this resort has lots of hills and steps, which was good for me and I like to walk and there were some lovely areas to walk to via these. Those in wheelchairs or less mobile may find it hard work.
At night I either stayed in hotel, or one night ventured into a bar right next to hotel, think the Moonlight bar (have their own website), accessible down path to the beach from the hotel pool area. This was a nice pub with cocktails at E5, a karaoki and after there was a Beatles Tribute band which were good.
I also went into the Esmeralda playa opposite a couple of times when they had the Eagles tribute on which were very good (love their music).
TRIPS: Didn't do any this time as there were many areas for me to walk and I'd seen Mount Teide many years ago when visited Tenerife. However, the Viages shops which they call travel agents seem to have good prices for the trips-probably cheaper than the hotels. Worth checking around for prices.l agents).
Think I've covered everything! Have a nice holiday. Any further questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank bubblychick51
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We switched to this hotel at last minute from Los Gigantes Hotel - if you read the reviews there you will know why! On arrival we were met by 2 friendly receptionists and check in was very quick and efficient. We were told meal times (we were half board) but never told where the restaurant or pools where, we just followed the other people!

The room was very nice and comfortable, the only complaint I would have is that there was no full length mirror and being a typical female I would have liked to check my appearance from below the waist as well as waist up! But I managed! Bathroom was very clean and plenty of supplies given, even cotton buds! I must say the beds must have been the best we had ever had in a hotel, very very comfy and slept like logs every night! Maids cleaned and tidied room every day and we found them very friendly when we past and where very impressed when we came back one afternoon whilst they were cleaning and they wouldn't let us in the room until they had checked our "door keycard" confirmed we were entering the correct room. Fantastic security so really pleased. Towels were changed daily and were very large and perfectly adequate.

We hired pool towels and paid the 20euro deposit, but as long as you kept your receipt you got this back, helpful at the end of your holiday. We never changed our towels but other people changed them everyday with no further charge so not sure where a previous reviewer had to pay 10 euro's per day per towel.

Our only gripe really was the food. Breakfast was very varied and cold selection was huge. The hot selections left a lot to be desired and where tepid even if you jumped in as soon as the dish was brought through. Eggs where cooked by a single member of staff who had great difficulty keeping up and if someone ordered an omelette she stopped frying eggs until this was done so queues where huge on some occasions, so much so I had boiled eggs every day after the first day. Still not quite sure where cauliflower came in on a breakfast selection.

Evening meals where very similar to breakfast, some wierd and very non appetising soups on offer but salad selection was huge and very nice. Cheese and desert selection was great every night, the chocolate roll was worth at least 2 visits! The problem with nights was the meat selection, only one meat choice on the grill every night and only had veal on our first night, other than that it was chicken strips twice, pork chops twice and lamb chops twice (although we still have to find the lamb!) They gave you one piece and you had to ask for a second.

The pool areas were very clean and we had no problem getting a sunbed, though we do have to admit we did put our towels out when we went down to breakfast but we did use them all day so didn't feel too bad! Entertainment around the pool was very varied, always something going on and although we never joined in, watching the water antics was hilarious.

The location of the hotel was great and we were very impressed with Costa Adeje and would certainly consider returning to the resort again, but probably not to this hotel. We walked several times along the promenade and Las Americas was about a 40 minute steady walk.

On our last day we booked the courtesy room and it was ready for us on time with clean towels and shampoo etc were supplied if needed also.

We had no great complaints about the hotel, apart from the hotel food, but felt it to be more a 3+star hotel, definately not a 4 and if you fancy a beer, avoid the hotel. The cost was more than 3 euro and they weren't even a pint! We returned after our first night for a night cap and never bothered again! Especially when we saw the barmaid opening a carton of milk with HER TEETH!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The pantry coffee shop is well worth a visit
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We returned for a second stay at the Torviscas Playa - and much enjoyed it.
This time we had booked a 'sea view' room which was good and we felt it was worth the extra cost. It was just a standard room with a balcony and good sea view.- it was plain and getting rather dated - ready for some refurbishment. The empty mini-bar was useful for the storage of our own drinks etc.
The evening mewals were good - meat and fish options always available. However we were disappointed by the breakfasts. You had to put the bread thro' the toasters at least twice which meant some waiting and queueing. Only one person cooking eggs meant that long queues built up particularly when anyone wanted an omelette. Then in an attempt to catch up undercooked fried eggs were delivered - not satisfactory.
I mentioned these points to the manager but he shrugged them off and walked away. Come on Iberostar management - you can do better than this!
Overall a good holiday at a very convenient location and we would consider returning - but will have a close look at other options first.

1 Thank Greyontop
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We booked a last minute holiday via Thomas Cook. On consulting Trip Advisor, ( after we had booked), we were concerned that we had made a bad decision based on recent reviews. On arrival 25-3-2011, we can only say that the opposite was true and the hotel was a good 4 star.
The food was exceptionally varied and of good quality, on a buffet system with very helpful catering staff. Portions of "on the spot" cooked food were very generous.
We asked for a seaview room if available. It wasn't , as they were fully booked. However when we saw our room it was a side on with views of the sea looking over the resort with a pleasant quiet outlook.
The reception / restaurant / maid service etc was great.

Room Tip: Playa del Duque quality beach.
2 Thank Escapees2_11
London
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My Wife and I stayed here for a week in March 2011 on a bed and breakfast basis.

Location
Good. Short walk to lots of resturants (typical Spanish resort pizzeria type places), supermarkets,shops and bars. Nice beach 2min walk away with beach bars and sunbeds (15 Euros a day for a pair). Crazy golf, watersports and bike hire available along the promenade. Would recommend walking about 15mins up the coast (not towards Playa de las Americas) one evening to eat in the La Torre Del Mirador restaurant.

Hotel reception
Ok but not the best. Wasnt told where breakfast is served. Main issue we had was when I asked for a bottle of water in the middle of the night as my Wife was ill, I was told they couldnt help. They do have a vending machine but I didnt have any change - upon tellng them this, I got directions to the nearest 24hr supermarket - not very helpful and rubbish customer service!

Hotel room
Very clean. Only one power socket in our room which was in the bathroom.
Mini bar was completely empty despite having a pricelist in the room.
Airconditioning only cooled the room, no ability to heat. Not a huge problem but did get chilly at night.
Towels were rough and hard. Beds were like slabs of concrete!

Breakfast
Goods, big buffet style. Had everything. One thing we noticed was, the waiting staff dont seem to clear your tables after each course. You end up with a table full of dirty plates.

Evening entertainment remined us of a cross between the TV program 'Benidorm' and an old peoples home! We went out for dinner every night so cant complain.

Have to agree with previous reviews about the money making aspect of the hotel. Had to pay 12 Euros for the safe in the room plus a 5 Euro deposit. 10 Euro deposit per towel per day required to use around the pool - take your own out of principal! Extra cost for room upgrades advertised everywhere etc.
Would recommend requesting courtsey room on check out day if you have a late flight home. This is free for an hour.

Overall a decent hotel and good location.

cardiff
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Stayed here in May 2010,and on arrival asked if I could have a Sea View on the opposite side of Hotel to Main Road. Reception very helpful and I was gine a room on the second floor with a Great sea View, Noticed in the Lift a notice that there was an extra charge for the sixth floor.
I went to book with First Choice ( Thomsons) for this year and was told that there was a £5 charge for a Limited Sea View or a £7 charge for a Sea View, Per Person Per Night.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what view that you get and which FLOOR/ROOMS , and are they the opposite side of Main Road.

Travel Agents have no idea. Should think that they should have a ROOM PLAN.

Thanking you