“Jekyll & Hyde”

Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Jekyll & Hyde”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel for my girlfriend and I was completely Jekyll & Hyde. Our room was of a very poor standard with cracked tiles, dangerous socket points, awful decor and quite possibly the hardest mattress I've ever experienced. We also found the reception staff difficult, unapproachable and slightly unhelpful. We requested a mattress topper at 1pm on our day of arrival and didn't receive one until the following day at 11am.

The final complaint I have about the hotel is that one evening after returning from dinner in town we found a man in our room. I'm not sure if it's just me but an electrician working at 10pm in the evening without letting us know is ridiculous and we both got a bit of a fright. After asking the reception if the electrician was sanctioned by them to go into the room at that time they looked as confused as us and didn't really say much.

Based on our impressions of the room and the reception we would have graded the hotel 1 out of 5 however the rest of the hotel was fantastic and easily of a 4 star plus standard. The facilities, in particular the pool area are brilliant. Lots of space, great views, excellent pool bar, and always lots of sun beds to choose from with options to lie next to the pool or more privately in an elevated area a bit more out the way.

Also a huge positive was the food. We were half board and were never disappointed with the food. The selection and quality are amazing.

Finally I have to say that the staff in both the restaurant and on pool side were 1st class. Polite, welcoming and very professional. At pool side the staff worked very hard to entertain and Danni in particular was very well received by a lot of people we spoke to.

Overall our experience of the hotel was both up and down. The rooms really let down what is otherwise a fantastic hotel.

Would we go back.... I really couldn't bare that room again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CR1285
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Torviscas Playa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing pour IBEROSTAR Torviscas Playa hotel for your visit to Tenerife and for the time you took out of your day to review your overall holiday experience for us to keep on maintaining, and indeed if necessary, improve the level of services that we provide to our future visitors.

We would like to take the opportunity to explain that our hotel offers a 24/7 maintenance assistance; it happens that an alarm rings for a specific room and the IBEROSTAR technician has the authority to enter the room even if guests are not in; in case guests are in the room, of course we contact them by phone from reception and inform them prior to the visit of the maintenance team.

Moreover we lament reading your comments on the room we accommodated you in and not being informed about your dissatisfaction straight away as we would have looked for a solution; for future occasions, we strongly encourage you to contact our reception desk for anything we may do for you to fully enjoy your holidays among us.

On the other hand, we loved reading your praising comments on our restaurant; at IBEROSTAR we have a true passion for gastronomy and strive to make it one of the highlights of our guests’ stay among us; it is very rewarding to read you enjoyed every dining experience among us.

We also are very glad to read your lovely comments on our pool area and overall hotel’s facilities as well as on the waiting and animation team; their great attitude and full commitment to ensure that all guests are having a quality holiday time at our hotel is undoubtedly one of our main strengths and we will forward your compliments to all of them.

Once again we would like to thank you for your feedback which gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service. We hope to see you again soon ensuring you in advance of our utmost commitment to offer you a very enjoyable holiday experience with IBEROSTAR.

Kindest Regards,
IBEROSTAR Torviscas Playa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My partner and I arrived at the hotel on Wednesday 23rd April and got checked in OK but more information should be given. There was no written information given to us so we basically had to memorize everything or to keep returning to reception which has gotten very tedious. After an uncomfortable nights sleep we requested toppers as the bed was like a plank of wood and we were pleased that the toppers were put on the same day.

The following day we arrived back from the pool at around 5pm and were getting ready to go out for a meal. My partner was outside hanging the towels out to dry whilst i was putting some make-up on and as I leaned forward towards the mirror the whole granite sink unit collapsed and smashed on the floor. I tried to move as quickly as possible but got injured as a large piece of granite landed on my foot which was so scary and i was in total shock. My partner rushed in after hearing the loud crash of all the smashed granite, glass and toiletries.We were totally surprised that the rooms next to us didn't rush to see if we were okay as anyone could of heard it as it was so loud! my partner checked i was okay and then rushed to the phone to call reception to get help to find out our phone wasn't working! so he had to leave me ALONE in total panic so he could find help. At this point i realized i was injured from this accident as my foot was in agony swelling up with cuts. my partner came back and he thought the staff were very slow to react not realizing how serious the situation was. We were both in the room waiting for some help while my partner took some photographs of what had happened. Two staff arrived only to think a slight mishap had occurred they were astounded by what had happened. The lady rushed to me as i was very upset and helped the other staff member pick out our belongings from the rubble. The male staff member asked if i wanted a doctor but i decided not to as i was so worked up from all the shock and adrenaline that i didn't realize how much pain i was actually in. My partner had to leave with the members of staff as he needed to organize the room situation with the staff at reception. We were obviously told that we could move to a different room which turned out to be of the same standard and not upgraded in the slightest. No assistance was given to us to move rooms and I could barely walk so my partner had to repack and carry all of the luggage upstairs by himself. As the pain was getting worse i asked my partner to get an ice pack (which you would think a hotel would have) however they offered him a glass of ice, to which he replied 'are you serious' and they ended up giving him a carrier bag of ice.

The following day we got the reception to call a doctor and thankfully nothing was broken, however we initially had to pay 70 euros for his service which the hotel refunded us in the end. The only compensation we have had from the hotel is a free tray of fruit which is frankly a complete joke as this injury has ruined our holiday.

There have also been other problems at this hotel such as the keys not working, TV has been without signal and the walls in the room are so thin you can hear people above us and beside us. hard to get correct information from staff as one person tells you one thing and the other tells you something totally different!

Overall we have been completely let down by this hotel and we are very disappointed. Just lucky the injury didn't put me in hospital and i would advise anyone staying here not to lean on the sink unit.

8 Thank Annamariedungey
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Torviscas Playa, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We were very disappointed to read your experience during your stay at our IBEROSTAR Torviscas Playa hotel, whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, we do extend it with all sincerity and hope that you are completely recovered as we speak.

Our hotel undergoes regular audits from external companies checking that all the installations are functional and most of all, safe for our valued guests; this kind of accident is of course highly exceptional and your comments have been forwarded to our management so as to ensure this never happens again in the future.

As per our standards, our reception desk at time of check-in, other than explaining where the restaurant, bars and rooms are, handles a welcome letter reporting all the relevant information for our guests to fully enjoy their stay as from the very first minute, including the opening hours of our restaurant, bars, use of the safe, phone, beach towels service, minibar and house rules; we commit to revise why you didn’t receive this important information sheet at your arrival.

Please be assured that we took your comments into consideration and that they will help us to improve our services. We really thank you for your time and despite the issues you have raised following your stay, we hope that IBEROSTAR will remain an option for your next holiday and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company in the near future.

Sincere Regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here the first week in April for a short break and had read all the reviews so knew what to expect. The food and drink selection was better than many other hotels. All the staff were very helpful and attentive.I asked for a mattress topper and it was on the bed within two hours. Also reported the air con not working properly and this was also fixed promptly. We were in room 126 and it wasn't the best. The bedroom was acceptable but no plugs for charging anything except for one in the bathroom. The bathroom was of poor quality with cracked and broken tiles and the enamel was worn off the bottom of the bath. Every night we were wakened at some time between 2am and 5am with lorries and delivery men shouting outside. If we had been staying for longer I would have asked for another room but after the first two nights it wasn't worth all the bother of having to re-pack. The large pool was freezing, as was the sea but the smaller heated pool was ok. Location was very good. All areas of the hotel were very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor .
4 Thank blackteddycat
Dear Guest,

First and foremost we do apologize for the less than perfect experience in our IBEROSTAR Torviscas Playa hotel; we are always trying to improve our service and we want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved

Therefore we took good note of your comments related to the noise you experienced at night and would like to extend our sincerest apologies lamenting not being informed about it immediately as we would have looked for a solution; nevertheless we understand that for a two nights ‘stay, losing quality holiday time to repack is never pleasant; we encourage your for future occasions to contact our call center from where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance and help you choose the accommodation type that best meets your holiday needs and wishes, bearing in mind that depending on the view, the price may be higher.

Moreover and due to other comments here on TripAdvisor, we have ordered new bathtubs so as to guarantee spotless bathrooms in all accommodations.

On the other hand, we thank you for pointing out the professionalism and genuine helpfulness of our staff and for mentioning their prompt reactivity when reporting imperfections in your room; their great attitude and full commitment to ensure that our guests are enjoying their stay at our hotel is definitely our main asset; we will certainly not fail to congratulate them on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing throughout your stay among us.

We also appreciate your praising comments on our gastronomy offer because in IBEROSTAR we know that meals are a very important aspect of our guests' overall holiday experience, this is why our professional Chefs strive on a daily basis to prepare a wide variety of typical local dishes as well as the best international delights in order to please all palates, it is very enjoyable to read that we could conquer yours.

Last but not least, thorough cleaning being an absolute must for IBEROSTAR, we thank you for highlighting the cleanliness of our hotel; we strive to give total confidence in this area, being fully aware that this is the base for a comfortable holiday experience in any hotel.

Once more, thank you for making us your choice hotel and for the courtesy of your time; we remain at your entire disposal for any request you might have regarding coming vacations to help you choose your next IBEROSTAR holiday among a wide range of beautiful destinations worldwide.

Warmest Regards,
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is my second time at this hotel and it was just as fab as the 1st time. The hotel is extremely clean although some décor needs updating. Somehow this doesn't seem as noticeable abroad as it would in rainy England. The staff are very helpful without being in your face. The food was great, except the overcooked vegetables. I am lactose intolerant and still had plenty of choice, they even have soya milk, I don't have any children but they had lots to do for children and yet had a sunbathing section for adults only.
The position of the hotel is perfect. Very close to beach and there is a lovely promenade. You can walk one way for a quiet walk towards La Caletta and the other way if you would like a busier atmosphere .If you are arranging your own transfers from the hotel to the airport I would book a taxi once there. We arranged our own transfers and were on the coach for a long time as we picked lots of families up.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank pitstop307
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The location is very good. I would say the rooms are a 3*, the reception, pool and other areas are 4* and the food is more like 5*!

A big thank you must go to Indre Mikelaityte who was very helpful and all of the restaurant staff who were fantastic!

2 Thank AJG1986
Preston
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed in room 515 and our daughter in room 516 from April 8th to April 18th 2014. We have previously stayed in this hotel before.
We have nothing but praise for the desk staff from start to finish of the holiday for their kind assistance. The rooms are cleaned meticulously every day, the cleaning staff make a point of greeting us with a Hola when passing them. The bar and waiter staff are very obliging and friendly , all the staff there work extremely hard for their guests. Every guest should be able to find something they like regarding the meals, there is a decent selection, and the english breakfast is very good.
The rooms we occupied overlook the road and there is some noise but, and this is speaking for myself I am hard of hearing so no problem there, and if there was I would just use Boots ear plugs as I have done when in some other other hotels, anyway my daughter in room 516 who has excellent hearing said it didn't bother her, in fact when we come again we would ask for the same rooms.
Normally we would not come over the school holidays, and although the hotel was busy and I'm sure the staff must be under some pressure they did not show it. Really I'm just echoing other peoples review of this hotel.
Now, just about the weather, we have a friend in Adeje and has lived there for 12 years, and says that don't come just for the weather, because it can be cloudy and sometimes raining and sometimes people may be disappointed. Hey! coming from England is that so much a problem it hasn't stopped us from going and we haven't used our pack-a- macs yet or whatever they are called now.
We would use this hotel and recommend it to our friends, it is nicely placed in the area we like and suits us perfectly .

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side of the hotel we are told are quieter, they overlook an adjacent hotel and th...
3 Thank JamesPreston
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is positioned to enjoy the beach, promenade and facilities in Costa Adeje. The pool area has plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas but does not feel cramped. The entertainment team always have a smile for everyone and organize activities for all ages in and around the pool area. You can watch the beach below from the covered pool bar or take a short cut down by using the hotel gateway using your room key. The hotel is spotless clean in all areas. All the staff work hard to make sure everyone has all they need. The main area of excellence is the food. There is such a variety of choice and the quality and presentation is the best We have experienced at a 4 star hotel. We did not attend the evening shows but they looked to be aimed at the family audience which was ideal for this family suited hotel. We preferred to take a stroll out to the bars in the evening. Previous reviews comment about certain areas looking tired and in need of some TLC : corridors and bedrooms. This is a minor issue and should be put into context with the overall facilities and excellent service the hotel provides. This was a return visit and is our first choice of hotel in Costa Adeje for future visits to Tenerife.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar