Firstly I must say that as a hotel in the area it is probably one of the finest. It is indeed grand and luxurious with a very unusual design in that the reception is 2 floors beneath the swimming pools on the majority of ground level and the rooms above, flank the sides and rear of the pool complex.
Service was friendly and impeccable. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable and trimmed with marble. I have stayed in many hotels and none comes much better than this.
We chose an all inclusive package because we had not been a holiday for a long time and just wanted to relax and be waited on. The package was not cheap. However, we are vegans and double checked with the travel agent before booking if the hotel would be happy to cater for us. But on arrival the concept of 'vegan' was not understood. It was presumed we were just vegetarians. If we had been then there would have been lots to eat, even though many of the possible vegetarian dishes had prawns or ham mixed in, completely ruling them out for even vegetarians. It clearly stated on a notice at the door of the restaurant, that if anyone had any dietary requirements or allergies they would be happy to help. We attempted to explain a few times but gave up in the end. They just didn't get it and we ended up eating pasta with a tomato sauce for 4 nights in a row. Even the stand alone vegetables several nights were sautéed in butter.
We ended up eating out for the last few evenings and wish now we had done that from the beginning. The hotel restaurant was just like a school dinner hall and to sit out in the evening sun, looking over the sea, with proper food and a nice glass of wine was by far the better option.
As for the drink? .. well we drank our share but not as much as some. Not all of the drinks were inclusive, in fact it was just the house brands that were. The house cocktails were pretty rubbish too and the ones we had whilst out and about were far superior. I also realised, the 'all inclusive' deals are damaging the surrounding businesses so that's something else to think about too when booking our next holiday.
The entertainment staff were friendly and tried hard to keep things moving. However, apart from a Magician act and an Elton John tribute, the evening entertainment was very poor indeed. Mostly keyboard players, playing along , unnecessarily with full backing tracks and fumbling the words and melodies of the most sickly and over worked songs ever written. .... truly awful !! They were the kind of acts that in a club, would not even make the end of their first set before being booted off the stage. For a hotel of that standard I'd have expected a little more effort.
Even at reception when I asked when the shuttle transfer would collect us on our departure, in stead of helping, they just pointed to a display of tour operator books and said, 'your departure time will be in one of those books' and instructed us to find it ourselves.
I'm sure there was more to single out but overall, I have to understand that being a vegan in this world can be a tricky business, but it can also be for other people with allergies. I am also a musician and very critical of any entertainment, but the other guests clearly had similar opinions ..... I just know how to voice mine. So if you are what is considered 'normal' .. that is you eat anything and want to have a few beers and sing along with Brown Eyed Girl and Lady In Red then the package was great. If you are not 'normal' , have allergies or a taste in music, sleep in the hotel, use the pool and leisure facilities and don't book an all inclusive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COSTA ADEJE GRAN Hotel, a 5 star hotel located in Costa Adeje area in the south of Tenerife, has 485 rooms (double standard rooms and suites). Free WIFI access in all Hotel areas, and a huge variety of services and installations, as restaurants, bars, pools, sun terrace, shops, mini market, etc. Perfect for your family holidays as well as for couples and friends. We are also a perfect option for conferences, events and weddings, as our Hotel counts with several conference rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Onthebeach, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your GF Gran Costa Adeje reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Hotel Adeje
- Adeje Gran Tenerife
- Costa Adeje Gran Hotel Tenerife
- GF Gran Costa Adeje Tenerife