“Back again for the new year”

GF Gran Costa Adeje
Ranked #17 of 59 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Ashington, United Kingdom
“Back again for the new year”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is our 4th time at the Gran, and this time we travelled out on the 28th December for a fortnight. The hotel was full to bursting, and we stayed half board.
As usual we swapped our evening meal for lunch time - we like to go out at night to eat, and teh dining room is really busy. We noticed that lunch was busier this year due to an increase in the all inclusive customer numbers.
The hotel is the same - impressive reception, and a few sopts here and there that could do with a makeover and a lick of paint. New mattresses and televisions in teh rooms, and it looks like they are embarking upon a renovation starting with the suites.
For our first week, we had to put up with a complete ignoramous who seemed to think it was acceptable to play the television very loudly, night and day, early in the morning until late at night. The hotel were very helpful, even going ito the room with a master key and switching it off when it was apparent that he had gone out and left it on. Not the hotel's fault - we were offered a move, but luckily he went home.
No problem with the staff - we found the pleasant and helpful at all times.
We used the roof top sunbathing area as it is quieter with no kids. It seemed very quiet, and the policy of removing towels from sun beds really makes a difference. No reserving means exactly that and rightly so.
There were a lot of Russian guests, as they celebrate Christmas on the 6th January. They are an acquired taste - the fat middle aged guy with a permed mullet sunbathing in a thong nearly had me in tears - not laughter, it just made my eyes burn.
We really enjoyed our holiday - the weather was nice (only one cloudy day), and the hotel is conveniently placed for either Fanabe or Del Duque. However, the 'vibe' of the hotel is changing. There are more all inclusives guests than ever, and some of them bring a different set of expectations and behaviour. This may cause us to rethink another stay here at this time of the year. The all inclusive deal are alos killing the resort - I have never seen the pubs and restaurants so empty. Puerto Colon was like a ghost town.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool have quite a view, but there is some noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Agammemnon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,603)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We booked a double room with sea view and breakfast, we had dinner included for free.
The hotel was very good, spacious and well appointed, the pool areas were well equipped with beds and parasols, if you want to avoid children use the roof top pool, very quiet and relaxing.
We ate breakfast and eveing meal at the hotel on 2 occasions, in our opinion the food was a good standard, lots of choice and well presented, unfortunately we did not like the buffet style way of serving due to the crowds of other guests, so we decided to eat out for the rest of the holiday (just our preference).

The nightly entertainment was very good, the area around the hotel was interesting and nice to stroll around the beautiful shops in El Duque plaza, the beach is approx 10 minute walk.

The hotel was immaculate ans the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Had a lovely stay at the Gran. Couldn`t fault it other than breakfast was hectic to say the least. Lovely clean spacious room with good views. 90% of the bar/dining room staff were very friendly. 2 lads in particular were very nice and new how to treat the punters well. Lovely heated pool and plenty of sun beds. Very good entertainment at night apart from the we will rock you act that was poor. Food was plentiful and of a good standard. Plenty of fresh fish for you. We went all inclusive and for £672 was value for money without question. Got home late last night and all we have done today is think i wish i was still there. 9/10.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Not wanting to be to unfair but it is streets off a 5 star hotel,while it is a nice hotel i think it as sold out to the all inclusive mob,while breakfast and lunch were acceptable dinner was crazy as if it was the only food for days,so uncomfortable we only eat there 3 times out of 7 and went to local restaurants even though we had paid for dinner.Rooms were fine,entertainment was between excellent to rubbish,as they used their own staff in different guises who mimed and couldn`t dance.I just think this hotel as got to choose what market it wants and it seems between both at the moment.

Room Tip: looked at other hotels nearby which were also 5 star but you could see the difference soon as you wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank geoffreyt
scotland
Reviewed 22 January 2013

this hotel, being the last to stay in for 4 nights, having stayed at the sandos san blas, barcelo Santiago,and the playa la arena (check out my other reviews) for the previous 8 nights ,was intended to round off our trip to Tenerife before we returned to the uk for xmas, .my daughter, who had organised and booked the entire trip for myself and my wife as a surprise after losing a close family member and myself suffering a serious illness, had thought it would be a great idea for us to get away and have a break and some winter sunshine. when we arrived we were impressed with the grand entrance to the hotel, checking in was a pleasure with a very friendly french girl. having given passport details etc I asked whether anything else was required, credit card details etc as I did not wish to be disturbed to which she said no and directed us to our room which was on the 3rd floor overlooking a main road. the room was tastefully furnished and very comfortable. there was even a choice of three different pillows that could be ordered from reception, so we phoned down to order 2 extra ones which were said to be forth coming. first day was relaxing round the lovely pool area .the pool bar was great with waiter service . in the afternoon we went to the flea market directly opposite the hotel ,while walking round I discovered I had my wallet stolen ,although there was only a small amount of cash it was credit cards that were taken as well ,so, shaken I went back to the hotel and phoned to cancel them , reluctantly we went for dinner. dining in the restaurant was a bit chaotic but the food was good . the evening bar area was very spacious ,again waiter service ,in our room I noticed no extra pillows were delivered. next morning a note was put through our door ,asking for us to get in touch .when I phoned down ithought it was about the pillows but the chap said it was something about money to which I thought we had to pay for the pillows,so I left it at that . next day another note from reception came through .I had told them I did not want to be disturbed . at midday I went back to the room for my medication ,only to find our key wouldn't open the door .the maid was cleaning next door and I asked her to open our door which she said she couldn't and I would have to go to reception. when I went down to find out what was wrong with my key a certain MS JUDIT DAVILA RODRIGUEZ came up waving an invoice about. and demanded we pay her 120euros in a very aggressive tone SHE HAD LOCKED US OUT OF OUR ROOM!!!!!! , . not fully understanding what this was about and now desperately needing my medication I explained what was ever due I would sort out on checking out , but no she would not have any of it she wanted payment NOW .I told her about being robbed the day before so I couldn't pay now but she either didn't believe me or didn't care .I told her I must get my medication from the room , to which she replied YOU HAVE ONE HOUR THEN YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT OF YOUR ROOM UNLESS THIS IS PAID!!!! I have never been threatened in any hotel ,least of all a supposed 5*. so after going to the room and realising we had no cards and a little cash, we had to borrow money from a couple we had met before . how embarrassing! so ,I went down and spoke with MS JUDIT DAVILA RODRIGUEZ and paid the money to her . I asked if this was how she treated all the guests and she just smirked .she basically accused us of trying to cheat them out of a promotion they were running but as it was my daughter that had booked the whole holiday I was totally unaware of the situation. I do not know whether this is company policy to treat guests in such a shabby way or that MS JUDIT DAVILA RODRIGUEZ is just a loose cannon, but I do know that for the sake of a few miserable euros no guest should be subjected to the kind of treatment we received .i would have liked to have given the hotel a proper report but to be quite honest we were just glad to get out of the place. being treated like scum isn't our idea of a 5 star experience .result-4days holiday ruined and£700 down the toilet. you have probably noticed that all the other hotels in this chain are 4* so they probably do not know how to properly run a so called " 5*hotel" .this, is definitely NOT a SHERATON LA CALETA or a JARDINES DE NIVARIA EXPERIENCE .take heed ,you have been warned!!!!!

Room Tip: yes, before booking phone the Sheraton la caleta and ask for walter for a true 5* experience
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank sonbuff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

we stayed jan 13 for 1week ,more like a 4 than a 5* but a pleasant hotel ,very nice area no rif-raf more suited to mature couples, we stayed half board ,breakfast was the usual with a few twists like chips carrots and cheese sandwiches ,dinner was ok except the sweets were very poor .

Room Tip: pool or sea view
6 Thank Rhymers2141
staffs
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, lovely grand entrance, huge rooms , 1 lovely large warm pool rest are freezing , but the warm one is very big.we stayed here 22nd dec-5th jan. Staff all very polite, just the odd tip gets you plenty of nice drinks , the only thing I would say Is as we were all inclusive there was plenty of choice of food breakfast & lunch time, just a pain to get a table of an evening, not enough staff to clear the tables & set back up quick enough, so ended up walking round looking for tables. No gala dinner Christmas Day?? This is a 5* too. Go gala dinner New Year's Eve ??? Buffett, and you had to que to get in and wait in ques for food ridiculous ! So we ate out quite a lot of an evening. Ghandi was a nice Indian restaurant 5 min in taxi, recommended by first choice rep(tall blonde hair bloke always at hotel & his table is by reception desk) he was very helpfull in choosing restaurants to eat out at..shopping centre just down the hill Amazing,wicked designer shops ! Very expensive though. Market opposite thurs &sat. We chose to take a train ride which comes past hotel every half hour, daughter loved that. Also day before we came home went to Siam park, best day ever, wish we'd have gone every day! You can hire a towel there for 5E and a wetsuit for 5E if you wish, but we didn't. Ohh New Year's Eve was wicked party all night with animation staff ! Best night ever :-))

• Stayed December 2012