“Great Holiday !”

Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
DUblin
“Great Holiday !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 10 nights in February. We were upgraded free to a suite which was fantastic, two rooms and the biggest bathroom I've ever seen with a massive jacuzzi bath! Room was cleaned spotlessly everyday and a turn down service every evening. My only problem was the balcony which was a big L shape had no sun at any time of the day which is a bit disappointing but saying that can't really complain when we got such a fantastic free upgrade ! Plus a free bottle of champagne on ice was sent to our room with some chocolates which was just so lovely of the hotel, we really apprappreciated these personal touches.

The hotel itself it in an ideal location, thats if you like to be away from from all bars and restaurants but close enough to walk. The beach is on your doorstep and in my opinon its the nicest beach on the island. It is a very up market area but saying that you're only a walk away from other areas (the coastal beach walk is lovely with all bars and restaurants along the way)

We were on a B&B basis and found the choice was plentifull and the staff were really lovely especially with our two little girls.

The Pools are exceptionally cold, probably the time of year, and lots of areas to sun yourself, some more private than others, then is you want a change of scene the beach is 2 minutes away!

My only slight complaint was being asked to pay in full on arrival. I have travelled all over the world and have never ever been asked this but the reception staff were quite convinced that this is the normal practice. I am so glad to hear other people staying here were asked to do the same because to be honest I really felt I was the only one being asked and that there was trust issues but I see now they ask everyone and this is how they do business. I really think they need to re-evaluate this point because first impression is everything and being asked to pay upfront before you even get the service isn't normal or proper practice! That said when I explained it would be a few days before the funds are in my account to pay, they were totally understandable and I was allowed a few days.

Our room had 2 massive flat screen TV's but no english channels, so we hired a dvd player for the kids and we also needed to hire a buggy inwhich the reception looked after this straight away and we got the dvd and buggy within an hour.

The bar has shows everynight, not a great atmosphere in the bar, they could really do with re-arranging the stage and seating and maybe all in all making the hotel more child friendly with more for them to do.

The Spa was amazing and we were given 2 free entries which was super.

I would totally recommend this hotel, so much so that we are returning this year and as loyal returning customers the hotel has offered us a brilliant price to return which we will be taking up.

Ideal quiter location with everything on your doorstep. Wonderful staff great selection of food and beautiful surroundings. Well done Gran Tacande.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sun on the balcony, alot of the rooms don't !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank celinag79
DreamplaceHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Tacande Wellness & Relax Costa Adeje, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you very much for your good comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate a lot that you enjoyed your time so much and that you would totally recommend our Dream Gran Tacande 5*. We are happy that you liked your room and especially the big bathroom with the Jacuzzi. Our staff works hard to enable you an amazing stay in our hotel, like they did to you with the upgrade for free, the champagne in your room and the dvd player and buggy for your kids. We are glad that you really appreciate that. It is also nice to hear that you like the area of our hotel including the Playa del Duque, one of the best beaches in the south of Tenerife, the Plaza del Duque, an exclusive shopping centre, and a lot of really good restaurants and bars. It is good that you tell us the atmosphere in the bar so we can take care of this problem. We are happy that you enjoyed our Spa Vitanova so much with its high quality treatments to relax and that you, especially your girls, liked the high quality and variety of our food. We are looking forward to seeing you again this year in our Dream Gran Tacande 5*.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Well I have just returned from this hotel and had a great time as usual.The staff were very friendly and the food and rooms extremely good. At the time we were there they were repairing a number of floor areas around the pool which they needed to use a rather loud drill. i went to see the manager who explained the situation and said it would they would only use the offending device between 9.30 and 11.00 in the morning which was ok as we just went for a walk after breakfast.
The manager also offered to pay for an excursion or transport us to any other hotel in the group to sun bathe which i thought was good I didnt bother. if they had told people what was going to happen I would not have even complained may be a little fault there
All in all great time had by all the area around is fantastic and not quite as busy as Las Americas which is what we like
Finally just booked to return in April for my wifes retirement

Room Tip: we like to look into the hotel Del Duc grounds which are extemly green and plush even in the hieght...
2 Thank scunnyLincs
Thank you very much for your good comment on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you extremely liked our friendly and professional staff and the high quality food. We apologize for the trouble with the noise; we had to renovate the pool area. But as you said, all clients who felt uncomfortable with this matter received an voucher from us to enjoy their time there. We are glad that this did not affect your opinion about our hotel and you still enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our Dream Gran Tacande 5* in April. We also offer a special 5% discount with extras for repeaters who book directly with us.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed at the Dream Tacande with my wife for 7 days in Feb and we had a very good time. We have stayed in Adeje on numerous occasions and we have utilised numerous hotels. Check in seemed a bit laboured as the receptionist was intent on selling us an upgrade to deluxe service which we eventually agreed to . For €17 per day per person we were promised upgrades to a la carte meals and spa access. We were not advised that the restaurant is only available on Tuesdays and Fridays.Our room was spacious and comfortable and was spotlessly cleaned.My biggest complaint was the channels available on the room tv .Although there were over 100 channels they were all sSpanish German etc and only Sky news and Bbc news in English.The spa service was good and food was veried well cooked and plentiful.Staff were very efficient and helpful. We ejoyed our stay but we prefer the Iberostar Anthelia located a short distance away

1 Thank kimmyt62
Thank you very much for your comment on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you had a very good time in our Dream Gran Tacande 5*. We really would like to know, why you prefer the el Anthelia, this is really interesting for us. With half board deluxe you profit advantages like daily newspaper in your room, daily Thermal Circuit and 15 min. DOSHA massage, traditional Spanish Tapas, late check out on the last day (until 16h), a DREAMPLACE gift and more. We apologize for the amount of English channels; it is good to let us know that, so that we can take care of that. It is really nice to hear that you liked your room and the cleanliness here, our food and that you appreciate our efficient and helpful staff. We hope there will be another opportunity to attmept to satisfy all your needs completely in our Dream Gran Tacande 5*.
Frydek-Mistek, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Yes it was definitely the worst holiday ever for me and my family... We wanted to go by travel agency to Jardines de Nivaria hotel but working duties changed our plans so we decided to go individually and instead of coming to the airport Sur we landed in Tenerife Norte. First problem started with car which was to small for me but willing staffer in the rental cars agency helped me to solved this problem. Finally we went to the hotel in Nissan.We arrived around midnight and first surprise came in the reception when I had to pay all stay in advance...They had my credit card and I´ve had pay the deposit......It has never happened to me to pay in advance when I had reservation and it showed big distrust to Czech tourist....And this is 5 star hotel??? Not.

Ok we came to the room. The room itself was very uncomfortable with hard beds. I had to call for extra blanket because it was cold and humid. After two days of stay my wife and me got some intestinal problems from food may be poisoning. I felt quite good but my wife got a fever and we had to call for doctor. First visit was Ok he prescribed antibiotics and she felt better for a while. In the afternoon we went to the Loro Park with my son and it was the only good while of our stay.
After return my son got a fever as well and we had to call for doctor again. This time came quite good doctor and looks profesionally.

On Friday my wife was getting worse and we called for doctor for the third time. And the nightmare culminated. He recommended hospitalization and called for ambulance. We refused it but ambulance arrived and we went to the hospital. I have to say that I had travel insurance but all times I had to pay cash and I felt like a thief....In the hospital bad behaviour continued and we decide to stop this suffering and escaped..After critical night we went to the airport and my wife with problems held out the flight and on Monday morning we came to our doctor at home. All treatment was bad in the island and it confirmed my feeling of bad and unwilling people there...

Let me say a couple of words about other things in hotel. The breakfasts were ok but the dinners were really bad with lack of choices. Tha spa was may be the only positive thing of hotel...The pool area was small with plastic beds (5 star Hotel???). The areas in hotels were unpleasant looked cold and dark. The management showed the lack of nterest every time.

Fortunately we are at home now and I will never go to this hotel and unfortunately I will never go to Tenerife..Please avoid this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank DoctorCube
Thank you very much for your comment on tripadvisor. First of all we are happy to hear that you liked the breakfast and the Spa Vitanova in our Dream Gran Tacande 5*. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay on Tenerife so much. We cannot influence the flight, when you book with a travel agency you should talk to them about that problem. In all four hotels of Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts it is normal to pay the stay at your arrival, normally the clients a fine with this matter. We are sorry that you did not like the bed and that you did not like the dinner. Our hotel also has two other restaurants besides the Zurrón: The Restaurant Bocana (a la carta) and the Restaurant Portofino (Italian). We are sorry that you wife and you son became sick there, but we have not heard from another client who ate in our restaurant any sickness. Maybe the change of the temperature caused the sickness. We also do not have any influence on the doctors’ treatment. We hope there will be another opportunity to demonstrate the high quality of our hotel without any trouble.
Hertfordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

The Dream Hotel Gran Tacande is situated in a cluster of 5-star hotels in the Playa del Duque area.

This is at the coast, north of the busy Los Cristianos and Play de las Americas resorts and just south of the village of La Caleta.

It's a relatively quiet and upmarket sort of area, generally populated by well-heeled and older visitors. 20 minutes' drive from the South airport gets you there. We found the area was perfect for our holiday requirements.

The hotel is most notable for its staff who were unfailingly pleasant and helpful. Underground parking is provided and there were plenty of spaces. The parking entrance is next to the hotel front door but you need your hotel swipe card before you can drive in or out. You therefore have to find somewhere to leave your car and check in, before you can park, then on departure you have to extricate your car and park it before you can check out and return the swipe card. Trivial problems, but it might help someone to know this in advance.

We were offered a free drink at check-in, which was lovely and a bottle of water was provided in the room, which is always appreciated.

Free WiFi is provided. After the rather laborious authentication procedure, it worked faultlessly for the week and there was good coverage all over the hotel. There is an in-room safe which is free to use during your stay (as it should be). The mini-bar fridge is unstocked by default - so you can keep water or other drinks in there, though I don't think this is encouraged.

We had a half-board deal and so had breakfast and dinner at the hotel every day. Food was of excellent quality, you can eat inside or out, there is a superb buffet selection, to satisfy all tastes, and again the restaurant staff were very pleasant and helpful and very good with any child guests.

It has been said about here - and is often said about hotels on Tripadvisor - that "it's not a 5 Star hotel". This is partially true of the Gran Tacande, in our experience. Our room suffered the pan-European hotel curse of twin-beds-instead-of-a-double. The beds are also poor - cheap frames and mattresses and very firm. Having said that, Reception called us not long after arrival to ask if everything was OK and when we mentioned the twin beds, they sent someone around to fasten the beds together and make them up as a double. Good service, though still not a proper double bed. The toiletries seem sub-5-star standard and such "amenities" are among the items you are invited to "upgrade" by means of daily extra payment, which also buys you several other privileges which should really be part of a 5-star package anyway. You are provided with a single "thermal circuit" of the attached spa facility, which is good, but free use of some of the spa facilities throughout your stay would not be unreasonable in a 5-star establishment and we've certainly found this elsewhere.

Our room had one of the connecting doors which admit too much noise from the next room. This was exacerbated by the fact that our, neighbour was apparently the 2012 Olympic Snoring Champion, which is hardly the hotel's fault, but the connecting door issue did not help.

I would certainly consider using the Gran Tacande again, but I would also look at some of the other fine hotels in the area. Tenerife itself is very much worth a visit and the National Park is a world class attraction.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comment on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you had a perfect holiday in our Dream Gran Tacande 5* and in this area. This matter with the parking place is to make sure that just the clients can get into the parking place, so that nobody else take the parking lot of our clients. It is really nice to hear that you liked the food so much and that you enjoyed the service of our staff so much. Their aim is to enable you an amazing stay in our hotel and they appreciate a lot that you mentioned that. We apologize for the misunderstanding of the double bed. For your next visit in our hotel, you can send us an email 2 weeks before your arrival, and we will note alls your requests in our system so that the reception manager can take care of it. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our Dream Gran Tacande 5*. We also offer a special 5% discount with extras for repeaters who book directly with us.
Killyleagh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

The mood was definately elevated when my husband and I were given an upgrade to a junior suite on our second night. There wasnt much "junior" about it in my book! HUGE with 2 balconies.One had loungers,the other ratten look comfortable armchairs.The bathroom too superb with enormous jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. Really lovely toiletries replenished every day.This room also had a sofa bed so would make a very good choice for a family with 2 kids.I checked out the cost of a room like this and it would work out fairly reasonable for a family as opposed to the Sheraton for example.
I really was impressed with all aspects of the place. Cleanliness,comfort,location and food quality were all exceptional.
I have stayed in both la plantacion and the Sheraton and would rate this hotel higher and alot less expensive.
The most remarkable attribute of this hotel is,as others have mentioned,the staff.
All were pleasant,hard working and clean and tidy in appearance.
Very well done.

Room Tip: Be certain to get a high floor room. Ours suite was 355 and was well located for a decent sea view...
4 Thank sheknowsyouknow
Thank you very much for you really good comment on tripadvisor. We are happy that you liked the Junior suite with the big balconies and the big luxury bathroom. It is really nice to hear that you and your family enjoyed the cleanliness, comfort, location and high food quality so much. The hotel is placed next to the Playa del Duque, one of the best beaches in the south of Tenerife, and also next to the shopping centre Plaza del Duque and a lot of nice restaurants and bars. We appreciate a lot that you highly recommend our Dream Gran Tacande 5* more than other hotels here. We also appreciate that you mentioned that our staff are pleasant, hard working and clean and tidy in appearance. They always give their best to enable you an amazing and comfortable stay in our hotel. We hope to see you again in our Dream Gran Tacande 5*.
Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

Just returned from a week's stay.
On arrival we were treated to a glass of Cava, and our cases taken to our room by the porter. Our room was large, well furnished and very comfortable.
All of the staff we encountered were very pleasant, well-trained and professional. Special mention for Toray and Brahim in the dining room. The dining room was very well equipped and the range of food extensive and of a high standard. I did notice however that a number of guests would handle food without using the abundant serving utensils. So the next time you catch a tummy bug on holiday, before you blame the hotel - look to your fellow guests.
We travelled with Jet2 and I would recommend them - the leg room is certainly superior to Thomson or Thomas Cook

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JBWales
DreamplaceHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Tacande Wellness & Relax Costa Adeje, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you very much for your really good comment on Tripadvisor. Our management is really happy about your opinion about our Dream Gran Tacande 5*. We appreciate a lot that you mentioned the professional and good work of our staff. They do everything they can to make you feel as comfortable as possible in our hotel. We are also glad to hear that you really liked your large room and that you enjoyed the food and the service in our restaurant so much. We put a lot of serving utensils in our restaurants to keep the food hygienic as possible. We hope we will see you again in our Dream Gran Tacande 5* again.