“Great holiday”
Review of GF Fanabe

GF Fanabe
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our second visit to this hotel and we were just as impressed as the first time. We emailed the hotel in advance to request two rooms close together, a high floor and preferably a pool view. All requests were met and we had adjoining doors which was really handy. The hotel is nice, quite basic but it's very clean. The rooms were a decent size and the beds were comfy. My only complaint was there was not enough coat hangers! It was my birthday during our stay and they brought a bottle of fizz to my room - a lovely touch (nobody mentioned it was my birthday). The food was of a high standard - with the fresh made pancakes at breakfast being my favourite. Always something to choose from and always a big selection. We stayed all inclusive and rarely went in for lunch but instead opted for a burger or a hotdog by the pool. The pool area was clean however the lining of the pool is starting to come away - they had to close the kids pool for several days to fix it so there was work going on. The whole pool will need fixed - sooner rather than later. The entertainment team were friendly and lively - would recommend the sangria making! The drinks on AI were fine - plenty to choose from although the cocktails seemed to be watered down. The spirits were local versions but they tasted very similar. The location of the hotel is ideal - close to shops, the beach and the market (Thursday and Saturday) there is also a bus stop nearby for Siam Park which was a great day out. The staff were all very helpful but we did notice that a few staff in the restaurant were rather grumpy, every request seemed to be an effort. The blonde hostess never stopped smiling so it was a shame that some of her co-workers were so miserable!! We stayed for 11 nights at the start of July and we were a bit disappointed with the weather but there is nothing anyone could do to change that! Overall, a great holiday and a lovely place to stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lovethesunshine
Write a ReviewReviews (4,110)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

we travelled out on the 1st of July for 2 weeks on a half board basis,having had a look in the hotel a couple of years previously.The rooms were comfortable with very comfy memory foam mattresses,decent sized bathroom with 2 sinks and a nice balcony,we had previously requested a pool view when we booked but were told when we got there that you have to pay extra and thomson is the only holiday company that takes bookings like this.We were given 341 road facing and also facing the little stage at the front where the singers were on at night so it was actually better than the pool view we had been looking for.The pool area does not open until 9.30 so this is quite good instead of the usual 7.30 sunbed rush although if you put towels down at 9.30 and then leave them even to get a paper or go to the toilet they are removed,we witnessed many angry clients who were either doing a double run back upstairs to get lilos and other family items only to find out their towels were in a pile next to the lifeguard station.The person who collected the towels found it extremely funny which i thought was disgusting for a person who we were paying his wages by going there.The pool area was tidy and the kiddie area was being relined and a small chute installed for a few days.No problem with the staff who all work very hard ,especially excellent animacion team Kevin,was a real people person who always stopped to speak and s really helpful..Sam loved his sporty activities and Greta was a good all rounder,.would i go back to this hotel,yes we would,we did have the chance to book for next year but booked the Jacaranda purely because at the time we hadnt been to this hotel, but if we had been booking after we had been, we would probably have returned . We will definitely visit at night as i always prefer half board, as being a frequent visitor to Tenerife so that if an act you have seen before is on you can go somewhere else. Nice to see a decent kids buffet area with piiping hot food and generally good variation, not always the usual rubbish on offer.The hotel ingeneral has a good feel about it and makes for a good family holiday for whatever length of stay. Just watch out for the fashion shows around the pool! The clothes on offer can absolutely be bought cheaper further along in various local shops DESPITE the sellers offering you a deal such as 1 item for .. and 2 for ..! Don't be fooled! Would highly recommend this hotel. Close to most amenities too. supermarket just across the road. really handy.

Room Tip: 341 road facing was a good one if you like listening to a singer while getting ready for dinner
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bigkevPolmont
Reviewed 20 July 2014

After reading quite good reviews on trip advisor we decided to book the Fanabe Costa Sur Hotel however after staying there I really do not understand how this hotel is getting good reviews.

Don’t get me wrong there were a couple of this that were good about the hotel like some of the staff especially the bar staff really go out of their way for you, and I also received a free bottle of champagne on my birthday however the bad things really do outweigh these things.
We are lucky we got a cheap deal paying around £350 - £400 each however if we would have paid anymore than this I would be feeling totally robbed right about now, knowing what I know. We were really surprised how different the hotel is compared to how it is advertised. My reasons for this are below....

I wouldn’t say this hotel has the best location, it was ok but not there are other hotels that were more central.

The rooms were ok, quite dated but I personally don’t spend much time in my room on holiday I use it literally to get changed and sleep. There were no English channels, and no wifi.

The food was the worse food I have ever had! It was the same stuff every day, there were only 2 live cooking stations, one for fish and meat but besides from that it was the same stuff.

Every day we would go in to see what was there and end up leaving, we ended up eating out breakfast/lunch and dinner for the rest of the holiday we couldn’t stand the food. I never get when you see fussy reviews about the food but I can only write what I saw and it wasn’t good.

Never in my life have I seen opening times at a pool. The whole pool area is closed off, people are queuing waiting for the area to open, for me if you are on holiday you shouldn’t have to be queuing to get into the pool area. They allow people in the pool area around 9:30ish but the pool does not open till 10am! It then closes at 6pm, which I again do not understand. There were some days we wanted to take a afternoon nap by the pool and then get ready a bit later but you literally feel kicked out at 6pm.

Half of the pool is also in the shade in the morning, the side nearer the restaurant is the side that is sunny from the morning.

There is a rooftop pool which was one of the positive things about the hotel; however this was supposed to be adult only. Every time I was up there, there were kids running around , I don’t think it is policed very well, there were staff we saw this but never said anything.

There is absolutely no wifi in this hotel, so if you are thinking of travelling here for business or would like to use ipads etc while you are here this is not the place for you.

We couldn’t get Wifi in our rooms, we assumed it was because we were on floor 4 but this wasn’t the case, we couldn’t get it anywhere. I don’t go on holiday to sit on my ipad but I like to have the option so I can check local things like restaurants online while I am there and also just to drop an email to loved ones to let them know we got there etc. One night there was 5 people at reception complaining about Wifi, like us one guy said he hadn’t had wifi the whole week he was there.

I got the feeling reception knew the wifi didn’t work but acted shocked to everyone who complained, when we first arrived they said they would get the engineer to take a look to see why we wasn’t getting it in our rooms but never heard anything after this.

False advertisement – should defiantly not be advertising WIFI

The guys on reception were generally really helpful, and so were the bar staff however the lady in the shop was SO rude! She never said hello, she just grabbed your money without saying goodbye. It was really uncomfortable I stopped going in there. The main daytime entertainment guy was lovely and often went round the pool to get people involved, even though there wasn’t much to get involved in.

This has got to be the WORSE thing about this hotel. It was absolutely shocking; I was in shock how people were actually sitting there watching this stuff. The first 2 nights we had a guy with a guitar, he was just making up the words to the songs. Then the next 2 nights was a man sitting on a keyboard and trying to sing. It was so bad! The songs were UN recognisable!

We ended up going to other hotels to see their entertainment, the surrounding hotels had much better entertainment, tribute acts etc but this hotel just literally had 1 man and his instrument. It was laughable, no words can describe!

Don’t get me wrong I come on here and often think that bad reviews are from people who are just being fussy, but I really am not a fussy person but this holiday has made me see that it sometimes is the smaller things that make a difference. I defiantly am I person who likes to try places themselves rather than taking some ones opinion on things, so feel free to try the Fanabe Costa Sur Hotel, I just wished this time maybe I did listen to the bad reviews. You only get certain amount of holidays a year so make sure it’s worth the saving! I can honestly there are better hotels in the area.

Would not recommend and would not ever be returning, so disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Taylor53
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a lovely 10 days at this Hotel, Food and hotel was lovely, very clean place and we had previously upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi bath. That suited my husband but I did miss my shower. Although there is a shower attached to the bath it doesn't have a hook on the wall so you really have to stand and shower yourself, bit awkward. Other than that the place was great. Animation Team for the kid were 1st Class, all the kids loved them and they went out of their way to make the kids feel really welcome, and the adults too. One other problem though was we did not realise that men need to wear long trousers to dinner in the evening, so please remember to put a couple of pairs in as most men just had the trousers they had travelled in,then changed after dinner. The hotel itself was very central and there were some lovely restaurants just down the road if you fancy a change from all inclusive one night, We would definitely come back to this resort and maybe even this hotel again, delightful stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Carol H
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We a family of 6 stayed here in July 2013 for 2 weeks all inclusive. The hotel looks a bit drab on the outside, but don't let that put you off. Inside it is super clean, and really smart looking! The rooms are nice and clean. the beds are really comfortable. The food is great.. anyone that says the food is bad, is either talking out of their backsides, or are really picky! there was always a great selection of hot tasty food to choose from. the only negative is the bacon at breakfast. There was a nice selection of cakes for deserts, or Ice cream with sprinkles and sauce and sometimes they had them waffle tubes.
The pool area, is a little small and it can be really difficult to find sun beds, unless you stand in a queue for the fanabe derby! *I have it recorded* that said, the pool itself is great!
We did go up on the roof top once. we had a couple of children with us that weren't making any noise. they were having a little splash around in the roof top pools. we spent a few hours sitting across from a snobby bloke and his missus. he sat with a book, but spent the entire time staring at us, instead of reading his book.. I felt like asking if he wanted to take a picture, it'd last him longer. they had a kid as well.. but he spent his time playing in the main pool unsupervised. Seems like even people with children go up there to get away from them.
Anyway if you're thinking of booking this hotel then go for it. it won't disappoint.

Room Tip: If you want a perfect view of the sea, and the beach, including the lights at night, then ask for...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DavidL L
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We spent nearly 2 weeks at this hotel end of may and it was lovely. The lication of the hotel was excellent, 5 minutes walk from the sandy beach of Costa Adeje ( El Duque). The service was great, friendly people, nice room. The furniture and painting all over the hotel a bit old, could do with an upgrade. If you mind the noise and want to have good sleep don't choose the sea wiew rooms, a lot of noise to be heard from the surrounding terraces. Four us as family was a great accomodation at affordable price, if u want something more luxurious u should go one star higher.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Andreea E
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from a week in the Fanabe hotel in Costa Adece. We chose half board and having already been at the resort new where we were going. The resort itself is perfect for families. The hotel didn't disappoint. The hotel is very well run, the staff friendly , the food fresh and tasty. The pool area was managed well, and the entertainment varied and not over the top. My daughter enjoyed mini club. The room was a little bit dated but clean and spacious. All on all a very pleasant and value fir money holiday. One piece of advice unless you have very small children don't bother with the Moana Truck as over priced and uninteresting. Quicker walking !

Stayed: July 2014