“Basement accommodation”

Ranked #34 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Basement accommodation”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Be very wary if you are allocated a room with access DOWN from reception. These tend to be rooms 100-300. Our room was on floor 1 and the balcony was on a level with the road and only yards away. Passers-by peered in and access for thieves would not be too difficult. We had a view of the car-park, the bottle-bin, and smoke from the nearby Argentine grill found its way into our room.
Access to these rooms is via subterranean draughty passageways with very little natural light. You feel as though you are down a mine.
On a lighter note, the lift floor-numbering system ensures your destination is always a surprise.
Reception agreed to a room change without a problem, but we had to wait a couple of days.

Room Tip: Ask to view your room before accepting it. Avoid rooms with access down from the reception.
1 Thank Robert H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,140)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our 5th stay at Guayarmina. This is rated as Platinum by Thomson which used to offer 1st drop from the airport amongst other perks like hotel check in. Thomson seem to have removed these perks without telling us! I'm not sure what Platinum now means. We have always loved Guayarmina but I am sad to report that it is now suffering from cutbacks which are very obvious to we regulars. Food quality not as good, paying for pool towel change, no champagne at breakfast - small things but noticeable. I think the hotel should also revert to 6.30 happy hour rather than 4pm which is far too early. We are planning to try another hotel next time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank MMRYorkshire
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I had e mailed hotel on advise from other reviewers about room allocation. I asked for high rooms looking out toward marina. It was a nice polite e mail but I did let them know that I was aware they have an average of 7 room change requests a day, and as we stood in line and saw others being allocated low level rooms I became anxious. SO!! I was ready but we were allocated room 3004 which was perfect and very clean, spacious sun on balcony all day.. Did they read my e mail or was it luck? I don`t know The beds!! OMG so hard thought I had slept on the floor. We put blankets under sheets on top of mattress which helped slightly!! but I realise some people prefer a firm bed. Not us my ribs and hips were agony!!.. . Hotel is certainly lovely. Husband used stairs and I used lift. Staff friendly and accommodating .
Now for the uncomfortable experience as well as the bed, the dining room or as so many other reviewers rightly stated canteen. Lines are long to enter but staff are very quick to seat you. Our first meal was good as we were at a table that wasn`t on top of another but they have a long line of tables for two that are awful as we experienced for 2 more nights. If you want to eat and get out fast to go and get on with rest of your night then fine but it is noisy and chaotic at times. we ate out after that as to be honest food wasn't that great for a 4* platinum hotel and it was nice being waited on at different restaurants.
The hotel is in a perfect location, a lift takes you straight on to promenade with bars and restaurants a plenty, try little Italy right on you door step-lovely meal,
. Staff work very hard and dining is overall well organised to accommodate so many guests and there is plenty of food to choose from. Personally , and as others have commented they should provide cold meats, tuna fish at the salad bar in the evenings. That said my husband really enjoyed the food on offer at breakfast and dinner. Public areas and pool are lovely, drink measures are good. We went out most evenings but one night we stayed and the Robbie Williams tribute act was good and the entertainment lounge was packed. We visited sister hotel which is in front of main entrance but didn`t seem to be as atmospheric as guayarmina but very nice all the same. wouldn't like to climb those steps though!. Lovely walks in each direction .All in all a very relaxing hotel and resort. would stay in resort again but maybe not the hotel.

Room Tip: please e mail and ask for level 3/4 high level, as views are good
2 Thank fshannon
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Just come back from two weeks holiday at this hotel, booked through Thomsons. Perhaps we were lucky as we had a room on the fourth floor with a balcony overlooking the harbour and the sea. Everything was very clean with a large bed and an adequate bathroom. The staff were always efficient, pleasant and polite in the dining room and if you took the trouble to smile and say hello to them they seemed to appreciate it. It was self service so there were always people milling around but the food was varied and plentyful. Sometimes it was necessary to queue for the restaurant, as you turned up when you wanted to, but we never had to wait long to be shown to a table. We also thought the entertainment each evening was mostly of a very good standard and quite varied. We had nothing to complain about at all and hope to return.

Room Tip: Higher floor in the main building, on the sunnier side of the hotel, but be aware that the balcony c...
2 Thank BjbWirral
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We went to the Guayarmina Princess in Costa Adeje in March with Thomson. It is a good hotel but could be slightly improved. Its location on the promenade provides level walking and access to shops, bars, restaurants etc.

We negotiated a change to junior suite with sea view with hotel in advance of arrival. Our third floor room was excellent, but we suspect that these rooms might be noisy when restaurants etc. on promenade are in full swing.

Thomson need to improve the way in which room type/availability information is made available on website

Did not match our experience at Riu Club in Gran Canaria as far as half board dining experience was concerned. Issues relate to prescribed service specifications and not to staff who are excellent. The poolside restaurant for lunch is excellent, however, for variety, quality and price.

Housekeeping and maintenance were of a very high standard.

The floor numbering is confusing and the lifts are unpredictable. Internal signage needs enhancing.

Although charging extra for Wi-Fi is currently understandable, making safes and fridges extras is somewhat incomprehensible when fridges are necessary to keep any drinks cool and the hotel itself asks you to use safes!

Perhaps Thomson should get ahead of the game and ensure that all three services are provided inclusively in room. Surely everybody understands/accepts that nothing is free!

Thomson staff were very helpful and understanding when we had a problem.
Local bus services were good and inexpensive.

We enjoyed Panoramic Teide with an excellent guide and Northern Delights trips, La Caleta and the quieter parts of Los Christianos. Los Gigantes will not be everybody's cup of tea.

Overall a good holiday that matched its promise. It is pity perhaps though that mid-range hotels rarely offer B&B.

2 Thank bb420309
Scotland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I always write a review after our holiday, as I think it is important for people to be forewarned at least. I was very wary after having read the reviews before we left, and as it happened they were correct! We were given a dull, musty, room with a balcony overlooking the car park (busy car park!) complete with the (busy) bottle bank! Like everyone else I e-mailed ahead some time ago requesting a high up room with a nice balcony, but instead has been 'upgraded' to a junior suite with 3 double beds plus, and this awful view, for just the two of us. We eventually got moved to the first floor which was much better, but it is another day lost in changing the room.

I read an awful lot about problems with chargers, What is all this about? there are no problems with chargers, you can even hire an electric kettle from the Thomson reps if you want one! We had our own one with us and no problems. I do wish people would Stop putting things like this on Tripadvisor!

The comments regarding trying to eat/sit/hear/walkthink in the dining room are certainly correct though! Our main concern was that NO ONE USED THE HAND SANITIZER. Why? It was provided at the dining room entrance - we actually counted (sad!!) over 50 people going into the dining room, and out of that number only 3 people used the stuff. Strangely enough, some people used it ON THE WAY OUT! I had to stop two rather grumpy 'foreign' 'ladies' from cutting the fresh bread at the breakfast time, with their hands all over the loaves, whereas there are plenty material napkins to hold the bread without their 'grubby paws' all over the loaves. Yuk! Having done cruises recently we are well aware of the potential problems of people ignoring the fact that hand washing and sanitizing is becoming essential because of those few ignorant people. The dining room was indeed chaos, but the food, especially the freshly cooked food was fantastic. There was no water provided on the tables. Their House Red wine was really very good indeed. I think one of the problems in the dining room is that they have tables seating 4 people - but each table actually having only 2 people seated. With 513 rooms (approx 1,026 people), you really need two, or even 3 sittings to cope with the numbers.

Hotel situation is good,with the sun-lounger availability problem they think they have got over it by having them so close together that you just cannot turn them round to face the sun! If 1 sun-lounger has to change direction, they all have to- whats that all about?

Also the smokers area was very strange - inside the front of the hotel? Smokers were also using their balconies to smoke, and flinging the cigarette ends out over the balcony to the rooms below.

We only had a 'tester' week at this hotel, and I do not think I have the energy to cope with all the hassle involved in the lottery of getting a half-decent room or taking part in the 'rugby scrum' that is the dining room experience.

Room Tip: The chances of getting a good room in this hotel I imagine are very slim, I think it is a bit of a l...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked 2 rooms for 2 adults and 2 children for a week in February at a cost of £2367 through Thomson Platinum. We have travelled with them before and not been disappointed by the quality of accommodation. Having read reviews re rooms I emailed Thomson and the hotel to ask for rooms on the higher floors. After a walk along dark dingy corridors we came to our rooms which had balconies directly opening onto the street, a bar and Italian restaurant. I immediately went to see the Thomson rep and reception staff to be told that we could join a waiting list for a room change half way through our holiday. I was informed that requesting a room was no guarantee. Another couple who had just arrived had a room overlooking the car park and were added to the list too. I was frequently told by the rep that Thomson couldn't be expected to meet my expectations. She did however inform me when I asked, that they frequently got complaints about these rooms and she would be upset too at having paid what we did to be allocated a noisy room on the street level. I followed Thomson protocol and completed the complaint form on their lap top. You need to double check that the rep types exactly what you say. Thomson ask for feedback and state in their room guide that they will come up with a solution within 24 hours. The rep asked me how much it would take for me to satisfied. I asked what compensation Thomson had offered previous guests and was told none! So why ask in the first place!
That night as predicted we were kept awake until 2am with street noise and music. At 0730 the drilling work started in the restaurant opposite. You couldn't sit out in the balcony as you were level with the street. Curtains had to kept closed in the room for privacy. You could see straight through the thin net curtains. We had paid for a balcony we couldn't use.
We were unable to go out for the day on the Friday as we had to pack up then move at 1400 to our new room on the second floor which was directly above the hotels delivery area and rubbish collection. The receptionist had an A4 piece of paper full of names of people changing rooms that day. Whilst we could sit out and enjoy the balcony we woke at 0400 each morning to the sound of bottle and refuse collection. One advantage of early wakening was that we avoided the queues for breakfast as we were up so early.
I had hoped that Thomson would follow up the complaint on our return but to date they have not.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family