“fantastic hotel”

Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Costa Adeje
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 December 2007

We got back from Tenerife yesterday, and well what can i say, we had a fantastic time, the hotel was just great, our room, was lovely, we had a jacuzzi villa, overlooking the sea, with a view also of the volcano. The food at the hotel was very good with lots of choice. the staff were very friendly and wanted to help out always. We also recieved free daily newspapers of our choice. We would definatly go back to this hotel without hesitation. very lovely.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank Lisilooloo
VincciHotels, Community Manager at Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

To our esteemed guest:

It was such a pleasure reading your comments. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotels are enjoyable ones. We would love to see you again soon at any of our establishments.

Kindest regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,818)

Reviewed 10 October 2007

We had been recommended to stay at the hotel by someone after staying at the very pleasant Sheraton Hotel down the road the year before.

We booked and paid quite a considerable sum (based on Sheraton costs) for a room with a Jacuzzi on the balcony overlooking the ocean. On arrival at the room in the evening 8.00pm we where faced with a view of the ocean but first you have to deal with the main road and a car park that is in front of you! Room was ok and nicely set out although the drains in bathroom had a really bad smell about them even after complaining the situation had to be lived with and was never resolved. We asked for an alternative room the next morning but were shown a room which was not as good as the one we stayed in the night before, so we stayed put, no other options where put forward for the rest of the week.

The hotel restaurant staff where very friendly however the quality of the food was sometimes indifferent and when in the restaurant on the day we left, we asked for a salad only to be told Salads are not available even though they are on the menu!

If you want to iron your cloths when you unpack them take an iron with you, this is the only hotel I have ever stayed in which would not or did not supply an iron in the rooms and their answer was to have your cloths laundered (as if everyone goes away with dirty cloths)

Had to badger the staff for the replenishment of shampoo conditioner etc

You are a long way from the ocean, you have good views of it from the Hotel but you need to have good walking legs to get to it and especially back at night as it is all up hill.

Pool area is nice and loungers and beds are plentiful however not once where we asked if we would like a drink you have to go seek a waiter which is not in my view 5 star treatment

Health club and spa are very good

We had an Ok stay but we would not return the Sheraton is much better in our view. This hotel has a long way to go to make 5 star status in my view, buyer beware is the only tip I can give you

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Coverdale63
Reviewed 1 October 2007

after returning from the palntacion in tenerife i thought i would let others know the overall dissapiontment i have experienced recently
the hotel grounds and some rooms are amazing but this was my second stay at the palntacion
we booked a superior room with sea view at a cost of around 220 euros a night on arrival we were put in an extra small room facing the building site and road at the back we then asked reception to be moved (usually i would have left it but considering how much we paid and what we had booked)
we were then told there is no garuantee when you request a sea view!! we were then moved to the front to another small room with an extra small balcony and felt like we were on show in the servants quarters !!
the hotel is very spanish and they tend to cater for their own the food is absolutly horrendous for evenig buffet its 40 euros each and at breakfast you can have fish fingers cauliflower and peppers probably from the night before
the hotel is gorgeous and relaxing until you have any problems with food or your room and the rest of your stay will difficult and uninviting
i was blown away when i first stayed there last year but after this year would never go back

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank gareth l
Reviewed 26 September 2007

If you are looking for a true 5 * hotel then this is the one for you. We have just got back from La Plantacion and had a fabulous time. We booked through Soverign and flew with First Choice who to my surprise were great. We arrived 20 mins early and were met at the airport by Sally our rep who directed us to our taxi transfer which was very quick. On arrival we checked in hassle free and were taken to the Villa or Jacussi suites as they are also called. Now a word of warning on these suites there are ground floor ones which have a very small garden and jacussi and uppoer floor ones which have a normal balcony and then a set of stairs that take you onto your own roof terrace. Without a doubt you want one with a roof terrace and jacussi. On the terrace you have your own sunbeds and can have a fab time watching the sun set in your own jacussi. The insides of the rooms are the same and are really nice and well appointed. The only critism of the hotel is the cost of meals and drinks to be honest. We stayed on an B&B basis and to eat a buffet meal in the restaurant was €80 for the two of us which I think is very steep. Breakfast was fantastic with lots to choose from and the grounds and pools are great. I have read some reviews about the staff not being that great but I can honestly say that was not our opinion, they could not have been more friendlier and helpful.
From a location point of view there is a supermarket 10 mins walk away, which is really handy, and lots of restaurants to choose from within a 10 min walk. The beech is a 10 min max walk from the hotel and there are a couple of great places to eat here as well as a fantastic Chinese called the slow boat in the main town, again a 5 mins walk. Overall a great holiday which I would really recommend.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sherlock8700

To our esteemed guest:

We appreciate your comments. We will pass along your praise to the hotel’s entire staff. That you had a good experience at our hotel is our greatest pleasure, and it’s the reason why we work so hard every day.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 28 July 2007

Went to tenerife with my girlfriend for a relaxing romantic beach holday. We decided to try a couple of hotels in the Adeje region so we wouldn't get bored!!

Spotted this hotel on Expedia and decided to have a closer look. The photos looked nice and the tripadvisor reviews good, so the lure of the villa with outdoor jacuzzi proved too much to resist.

We arrived by hire car late at night. The resort is high on the hill overlooking costa adeje in front of the golf course. The entrance was very grand with flaming torches to guide our eyes to the doors (one of which i promptly fell over....) The bell boy sorted our luggage immediately and valet parked the car for us. Check-in was efficient & courteous so it wasn't long before we were being taken to our room by golf-cart.

We had booked a villa which were arranged in blocks of 2 around the edge of the resort. We initially had a lower villa with a large terrace and lovely sea view from the terrace & outdoor jacuzzi......The room was massive with a vast bedroom and corridor leading to a cloakroom and enormous bathroom. However the room was far from ideal. We were immediately struck by the smell of damp, however it was very late and we wanted to rush to the restaurant for a nice drink and some food so we said nothing. When we returned we had a shower before bed........initially it was great....I have never seen a shower with as much power. There was a rain shower plus a hand shower and 3 jets in the wall. On full power the experience was akin to standing in a waterfall! However standing within the cubicle we failed to notice the rising water level which would not go down......after a while we had no choice but to open the door to step out resulting in a huge flood. Reception were quick to send us someone to clean this up and the following morning the drains were unblocked. We thought this must have been the source of the smell and hoped it would improve. However the stench within the room got steadily worse and by the end of our second night in the room we felt sick. I really think something was rotting somewhere. We asked to be moved and after waiting got a top floor villa which turned out to be infinitely better. The top floor villas have their outside jacuzzi's on the roof with lovely views although i must point out that you can see into next doors jacuzzi area very easily......We were witness to our neighbours getting somewhat intimate with each other....a situation you might not want to have to explain to young children ;)

The pool area was lovely.......well maintained with comfy sun-loungers. At busy times it could be difficult to find a spot and there was the age old problem of sunbeds being reserved all day with no one using them......The hotel supposedly had a policy about unattended sunbeds having their contents removed however i never saw this applied. The pool staff were very good though. Jonathon in particular found us a parasol when we were burning for which we were very grateful. The pool bar was a little disappointing with a fairly limited selection of drinks and some of the staff were a little confused when i asked for a mojito or a daiqari. It could have done with serving some light snacks....there was a restaurant poolside but it was serving full meals far too heavy following a big breakfast.

Which leads me neatly onto dining.....Breakfast was busy but we never waited long for a table. The selection was excellent and we always left stuffed. Other than the buffet restaurant there was only really a posh gourmet restaurant on site so we tried both. The dinner buffet was excellent with a walk-up grill as the main feature. The sirloin steak was lovely!! The gourmet restaurant was a more formal affair and sadly deserted. I enjoyed our dinner but it had the same menu every night so i felt unable to return to it.

You are on the edge of the costa adeje resort here so a taxi is probably essential but cheap. We went to the beach one evening and had a lovely time drinking at a couple of the sea front bars. It has a typical "med" atmosphere but was still pleasant. I can recommend a restaurant just back from the beach front called the Gran Reserva.....near the guyarmina princess hotel. Very popular, nice food and plenty of it.

In conclusion we had a lovely time here.......Looking back at my review it looks like i have been moaning a lot, but really nothing spoiled my holiday and any concerns we had were dealt with quickly and courteously. This is the mark of a good hotel. Would recommend highly to anyone looking for a luxurious bit of peace and quiet in Tenerife!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Technog0at

Reviewed 17 July 2007

......or at least as far as we were concerned!

When I say that I did my research prior to booking this holiday, it would be one of the biggest under statements ever! I was really concerned about the amount of negative reviews I had read here and the only thing that I kept in mind was that most were written between Christmas - Spring.

Previous reviews seemed to be written by people who deliberately went to this hotel looking to write a review, not by people looking for a cracking hotel on a chilled holiday! (In my opinion anyway.)

The facts according to my Gospel are as follows - if you're planning a trip to Tenerife and decide to stay somewhere else, you'll realise the extent of your mistake when you get there! This hotel is quite simply outstanding - in every sense of the word! From the moment you arrive in the grounds, to it's commanding appearance from afar.

Yes if you look for problems, you will always find them - but these people will next be complaining that the sun didn't 'set' properly! Everything you've read previously about staff falling over themselves to help you and just how polite they are is completely true. So is the Cava at check-in, the amazing views, the cleanliness of the hotel and the quiet location. A previous reviewer is completely right when he said that the so-called "dreaded hill" to the hotel wasn't all that bad! I was expecting Everest, what I got was a gradual climb not even worth mentioning (unless there's a disability to take into account.)

There must have been additional staff taken on for the peak season as all bar one day, we had no problem with the service. Bear in mind that some Spanish come down to the hotel for a treat on weekends (subject to availability of course) so it can suddenly get busier around then.

I do have two cons in my opinion. (1) Although incredibly quiet around the pool and with an assistant there to keep the noise pollution down, things got increasingly louder as our holiday progressed. I'm not a moaner, but I didn't appreciate being woken from a surprising 'nod-off' at the pool by a bunch of noisy kids shouting and screaming! (2) The Restaurants.......we stayed well clear of the buffet, as adise from previous reviews - several people we met said that it wasn't great and was very expensive. the A La Carte restaurant is a joke, seriously! The menu is highly over-elaborate and the 'proof in the pud' is that it is completely empty almost every night.

As other reviewers have said, La Caleta (best fish & Calzone in the world - about 20 min walk along beach front) and Los Cristianos (fab restaurants - about 10 min taxi ride away) are your saviours here! I could honestly go on and on about the place, but you'd be reading this article forever.

It's an unforgettable holiday and I'd be happy to give you any info you need, just drop me a line.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Well_Travelled_Dubs

To our esteemed guest:

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate knowing that your stay with us met your expectations. Without question, our guests’ satisfaction is our raison d’être.

We hope to see you again soon at one of our hotels.

Reviewed 17 July 2007

I stayed at the Plantacion del sur for two weeks in June with my husband, son age 6 yrs and daughter age 2.5yrs. The hotel itself is beautiful and pool areas fabulous however I have stayed in a lot nicer and feel the 5 star rating is not accurate.

The hotel is located on a steep hill which is fine walking down but terrible coming back up especially with a buggy!!

Mini Bar and all drinks and food very expensive in the hotel compared to outside bars & restaurants. This spoils the holiday as if you pay to stay in a nice hotel you shouldn't feel you need to leave it. Most people staying there were purchasing their drinks & snacks from the supermarket which I might add is a 10-15 min walk away.

I was disappointed as their was only one restaurant to eat in the hotel at night which served all buffet food and cost 100 euro each night for 2 adults & 2 Kids and that does not include any drinks. However Taxi's are only about 3 euro so we ate out most nights in La Caleta or the centre of Adeje.

The staff are quite helpful when asked but this hotel has a serious lack of staff. One girl tending the bar inside and outside on the terrace every night to cater for 100+ people. A lot of the time we were waiting 10-15 mins for a drink.

The food at the pool bar was good, however again very expensive and too much food for lunchtime! Service at the pool bar was better than in the buffet restaurant and the bar but it closes at 6pm!

Unfortunately we spent so much money on this holiday and I have to say I would not go back to this hotel.
There is so much better out there for your money! Maybe for a couples holiday it would be fine but very quiet there and in my opinion there's nothing there for the kids.
If you want 5 star luxury and a great holiday check out the Hilton in Malta, we stayed there last year - now that deserved it's 5 star rating!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
#1 of 5 in La Caleta
Iberostar Anthelia
Iberostar Anthelia
#2 of 60 in Costa Adeje

Been to Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur? Share your experiences!