We had great weather, the staff are indeed very helpful, and the buffet food was excellent (we were thinking we'd use the gourmet a la carte restaurant but never felt the need). But we came away with "that was ok" rather than "wow!" .
On arrival we upgraded to a solarium villa. Our original room 019 was fine but the balcony was tiny and overlooked 5 lanes of traffic. Sure it wasn't exactly spaghetti junction but there was plenty of road noise outside. So we ended up in 732 which was still overlooking the roads, but had the outside space to relax in the sun. The room itself was just ok - but apart from a splendid multi-directional shower nothing special, and the floor tiles were scratched and need repair.
The biggest irritation was the number of maintenance problems. We moved in and there was no plug for the jacuzzi. No plugs of the right size were available. Eventually the staff member went next door and gave us their plug. I hope he found one for them! Then we discovered the Russian roulette called "opening the door with key cards". We just couldn't get them to work and neither could the staff. This is a luxury small hotel of the world, and we're repeatedly standing outside unable to get into our accommodation. It's not the end of the world when the English TV channels don't work for several days, but couple that with the above - to say nothing of the erratic wifi on top - and at these prices its starts to grate. Our safe locked us out and again we're on to the maintenance team. By this stage it felt like I was co-ordinating an entire repair programme.
I now have a thing about luxury hotels and wifi. Just fix it so it works for everybody all the time. Period. Its the way of the world that some of us have to do some work when we're away and supposed to be on holiday. I expect to be able to do that when I want and not have to stop what I'm enjoying doing because the wifi has kicked in. If it doesn't work we don't go back. It's as simple as that.
We used the gym quite a bit and the norm was that either the towels or the water or the cups needed replenishing; its not the end of the world for sure but in a proper luxury small hotel of the world (and we've been there) that doesn't happen.
Don't get me wrong. We still had a good week. We went for warmth, sun and a break to recharge and that was delivered. We hired a car and got an upgrade so we were exploring the magnificent Teide in a Mercedes SLK. It had done 185,000km but it was still an SLK. And we had a lovely afternoon on a yacht with attending dolphins and pilot whales. Despite the concrete jungle of South Tenerife we'd go back for a warm week and a relatively short flight......if there was a hotel that fully lived up to the luxury billing.
So overall despite the lovely staff, for the 5 star billing and the prices, for us La Plantacion has a bit to do.
PS We're around 60, and the hill wasn't an issue, even in heat of the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This wonderful hotel is located in the privileged zone in the South of Tenerife, Costa Adeje. Given it offers privileged views. It is of Colonial Canarian style, with tropical gardens and has an exquisite decoration full of harmony and elegance in each corner. Located only 500 meters from the Bahia del Duque Beach, it is in the proximity of the best Golf course on the island and is only 20 minutes from the Airport Reina Sofia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Prestigia, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion Del Sur Hotel Costa Adeje
- Seleccion La Plantacion Vincci
- La Plantacion
- Vincci La Plantacion
- Vincci Playa De Las Americas
- Vincci Plantacion
- Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion Del Sur Costa Adeje, Tenerife