“Majority of previous reviews 'quite' inaccurate.......”

Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Costa Adeje
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 July 2007

......or at least as far as we were concerned!

When I say that I did my research prior to booking this holiday, it would be one of the biggest under statements ever! I was really concerned about the amount of negative reviews I had read here and the only thing that I kept in mind was that most were written between Christmas - Spring.

Previous reviews seemed to be written by people who deliberately went to this hotel looking to write a review, not by people looking for a cracking hotel on a chilled holiday! (In my opinion anyway.)

The facts according to my Gospel are as follows - if you're planning a trip to Tenerife and decide to stay somewhere else, you'll realise the extent of your mistake when you get there! This hotel is quite simply outstanding - in every sense of the word! From the moment you arrive in the grounds, to it's commanding appearance from afar.

Yes if you look for problems, you will always find them - but these people will next be complaining that the sun didn't 'set' properly! Everything you've read previously about staff falling over themselves to help you and just how polite they are is completely true. So is the Cava at check-in, the amazing views, the cleanliness of the hotel and the quiet location. A previous reviewer is completely right when he said that the so-called "dreaded hill" to the hotel wasn't all that bad! I was expecting Everest, what I got was a gradual climb not even worth mentioning (unless there's a disability to take into account.)

There must have been additional staff taken on for the peak season as all bar one day, we had no problem with the service. Bear in mind that some Spanish come down to the hotel for a treat on weekends (subject to availability of course) so it can suddenly get busier around then.

I do have two cons in my opinion. (1) Although incredibly quiet around the pool and with an assistant there to keep the noise pollution down, things got increasingly louder as our holiday progressed. I'm not a moaner, but I didn't appreciate being woken from a surprising 'nod-off' at the pool by a bunch of noisy kids shouting and screaming! (2) The Restaurants.......we stayed well clear of the buffet, as adise from previous reviews - several people we met said that it wasn't great and was very expensive. the A La Carte restaurant is a joke, seriously! The menu is highly over-elaborate and the 'proof in the pud' is that it is completely empty almost every night.

As other reviewers have said, La Caleta (best fish & Calzone in the world - about 20 min walk along beach front) and Los Cristianos (fab restaurants - about 10 min taxi ride away) are your saviours here! I could honestly go on and on about the place, but you'd be reading this article forever.

It's an unforgettable holiday and I'd be happy to give you any info you need, just drop me a line.

18  Thank Well_Travelled_Dubs
VincciHotels, Community Manager at Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

To our esteemed guest:

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate knowing that your stay with us met your expectations. Without question, our guests’ satisfaction is our raison d’être.

Reviewed 17 July 2007

I stayed at the Plantacion del sur for two weeks in June with my husband, son age 6 yrs and daughter age 2.5yrs. The hotel itself is beautiful and pool areas fabulous however I have stayed in a lot nicer and feel the 5 star rating is not accurate.

The hotel is located on a steep hill which is fine walking down but terrible coming back up especially with a buggy!!

Mini Bar and all drinks and food very expensive in the hotel compared to outside bars & restaurants. This spoils the holiday as if you pay to stay in a nice hotel you shouldn't feel you need to leave it. Most people staying there were purchasing their drinks & snacks from the supermarket which I might add is a 10-15 min walk away.

I was disappointed as their was only one restaurant to eat in the hotel at night which served all buffet food and cost 100 euro each night for 2 adults & 2 Kids and that does not include any drinks. However Taxi's are only about 3 euro so we ate out most nights in La Caleta or the centre of Adeje.

The staff are quite helpful when asked but this hotel has a serious lack of staff. One girl tending the bar inside and outside on the terrace every night to cater for 100+ people. A lot of the time we were waiting 10-15 mins for a drink.

The food at the pool bar was good, however again very expensive and too much food for lunchtime! Service at the pool bar was better than in the buffet restaurant and the bar but it closes at 6pm!

Unfortunately we spent so much money on this holiday and I have to say I would not go back to this hotel.
There is so much better out there for your money! Maybe for a couples holiday it would be fine but very quiet there and in my opinion there's nothing there for the kids.
If you want 5 star luxury and a great holiday check out the Hilton in Malta, we stayed there last year - now that deserved it's 5 star rating!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank Sylvs
Reviewed 16 July 2007

Just returned from Tenerife, and from a wonderful Holiday at this Hotel.
Me and my husband are 36, and were looking for a Boutique Hotel, that was in easy reach of bars, and good restaurants, but was also far enough away from the typical british karaoke bars.
Had I have listened to some of the reviews about this Hotel, we would never have gone, which would have been a shame.
On entering the Hotel, the reception area is spotlessly clean, and the reception staff are all very friendly and willing to help.
We were very lucky and were upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was fabulous, and had a view to die for, which was a bonus for our 2 week holiday!! (there are a FEW rooms without a proper sea view, if you get one, ask to be moved, youll be glad.)
There are in total 7 pools, and loads of sun loungers, though if you want a double, get up early!! Also at weekends the Hotel is busy with locals and families, but Monday to Friday was blissfully quiet. Buffet restaurant is good for breakfast, although the tea is like dish water.! In the evening the buffet restaurant has live music till about 10pm, and there are themed nights, although we only ate there twice.
There are also 2 other restaurants, one is Gormet Canario, expensive, very quiet, but very good food, the other is La Jaime (which by day is the pool bar), and at night is turned into a fab chilled out restaurant that is surrounded by candles, and plays very chilled music, (closed on Monday and Tuesday night), which is perfect for a romantic meal, and is not at all pretentious, youll love it, this restaurant only opened the second week of July, it is seasonal, and is open till about 1am.Outside of the Hotel is an area called Playa Del Duque, which has about 3 restaurants, 1 of which is great, (as mentioned before by other reviews )La Torre Del Mirador, the setting is great, as its right on the beach, and the staff are very friendly. Afterwards, just a few minutes away there are a few very relaxed bars, but the best being a Acanto, which has loads of couches outside, and does a great Sangria with cava, but as its so nice, be careful how much you drink!!! Elsewhere we tried La Vieja, in La Caleta, a fish restaurant, that the Hotel recommended, but to be honest wasnt much good, and if you were lucky enough to get a seat outside, the view is great, but it really is in the middle of nowhere, so is not much use if you want to go to a bar afterwards.We also tried a few restaurants in Fanabe,(10 mins walk away) which were nice, but this is Karaoke land I must warn you. We were lucky enough to find a bar right next to Mc Donalds, which is right on the beach, called in and Out, and every night they have the best rock band on called Sound Chaser, who do everything from bon jovi, Led Zeppelin, to Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones.... and is Full every night, full of families, couples, singles you name it, they are great, and even if your not a rock fan, go and see them, at least once. We avoided the Veronicas, but did go to Playa Las Americas, as there is a nice side, which is a world away from what we all know!!! The Hotel bar is quiet at night, but is open till 1am, but personally we prefered to go to La Jaime instead for late drink.
This place is stunning, the rooms are great, and I am not biased as we were upgraded, because I had a show around, and saw a standard twin, a villa and a royal Suite. The standard twin, was smaller, does not have a dressing room, but would be great for a week, the bathrooms in all of the rooms are the same, separate shower, bath, Toilet, and are spacious, and very clean, the villa that I saw was one on the bottom,(there are 2 on the bottom, and 2 on the top) I thought it smelt damp, and was quite dark (the junior Suites are better), but has a big four poster bed, and again lovely bathroom, and the Royal Suite was stunning, the bathroom was bigger than a studio flat in London!!!
So in conclusion, if you are 18, and want to go clubbing all night, you probably wont ike this Hotel, but if you are a little bit older, but are too young for bed at 10pm, there is plenty to do, just go out and find it, like we did.
The only negative of the Hotel was the lack of advertising, for things going on within the Hotel, Ie the wellness programme that is run by a polish lady called Aga, and she is great, doing Pilates, yoga, Aqua Aerobics, etc, all free of charge, also La Jaime has live music sometimes, but you will have to ask when...
I hope this has helped, I am a hotellier, and have been for 15 years, and so is my Husband, and by all accounts this really is worth going to visit, if you really do need to just chill out, and get away from the rat race, but to also have a great time!!

10  Thank Angela E

To our esteemed guest:

We appreciate your comments. We will pass along your praise to the hotel’s entire staff. That you had a good experience at our hotel is our greatest pleasure, and it’s the reason why we work so hard every day.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 16 July 2007

We have just returned from a 10 day holiday at this Hotel. The facilities were 1st class and the double room was spotless, spacious and had a sea view as requested. To be honest, we could not fault anything about the hotel and the staff were very helpful. For breakfast, there was a wide variety on offer e.g. fruit juice to cava, various cereals, salmon, prawns, bacon, omelettes and various cheeses with bread and rolls. Pastries and coffee to finish with. All in all we had a great vacation with the perfect base to stay in. I would recommend this hotel as one of the best I have ever visited.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank davied1967

Reviewed 14 July 2007

We stayed at the hotel for two weeks, half board, which we booked through a travel agent, at a good price for a luxury 5 star hotel. We can't fault the hotel in any way.
The hotel is located in the quieter Costa Adeje area of Tenerife, pleasantly removed from the tacky, cheap and noisy Las Americas. It is set atop a hill, however this allows for great views and more privacy - ie. no-one wandering past at all hours.
The room which we stayed in was amazing, it was large, modern and extremely luxurious, with a great sea view. Every day our room was thoroughly cleaned to a very high standard by our maid (Angela, who was amazing). It came equipped with bathrobes, slippers, and a hairdryer. We also experienced the "turning down service" at night, with fresh towels and chocolates on our pillows, which we felt was a very nice touch.
As we were half board we dined in the buffet restaurant for both breakfast and evening meal, and felt that both met the 5 star rating. The choice was overwhelming, as was the standard of service at these times.
Each member of staff, whether that be the bell-boy, cleaner or waiter were extremely polite, well trained and welcoming.
My girlfriend used the spa for a massage, which was cheaper than the UK and of a higher standard. They offer a wide range of treatments.
We lounged by the pool every day, and never had to fight for a lounger! And never saw any incidences of this. There was plenty space and four pools to chose from. We swam every day, and the temperature of the water was fine.
The only bad points would be that drinks were expensive at the poolside bar, as were ice creams.
Overall, if you are looking for a 5 star, luxury, relaxing experience then this hotel has it all. We spent two weeks there and did not feel the need to leave the hotel once! We would definetly go back.

3  Thank broxybluenose

To our esteemed guest:

It was such a pleasure reading your comments. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotels are enjoyable ones. We would love to see you again soon at any of our establishments.

Reviewed 14 July 2007

First things first, this hotel is luxurious and beautifully decorated throughout.

The swimming pools are as beautiful as they look on the website and the walk to the beach that everyone complains about really is not that bad.

On the downside, as many other posters have noted, the lack of staff does let the place down. While generaly the staff are very helpful, getting the attention you would expect from a 5* hotel is dificult.

We stayed in a villa with private jaccuzi - it was a lovely room and the jacuzzi had superb views of the beach - very nice. What was not so very nice were the numerous dead cockroaches that appeared in the room every morning. At least they were dead I suppose...

The 4-poster sunbeds are lovely and if people think they can reserve them by throwing a towel on them they soon find their towells in the towell bin - quite right but this lead to some some angry (albeit comedy) exchanges pool side.

If you are looking to the "internet room" to keep up with business -forget it. The connection is terrible and was seldom up in the two weeks.

Overall, very nice indeed, but dont expect the service you may be used to at other 5* hotels.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crowgen
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Travelled to this hotel with my chum - two yummy mummys looking for a luxury escape and well deserved rest!

In terms of luxury, this hotel is second to none, and we found the majority of staff very pleasant and helpful. On arrival, like the previous reviewers, we were greeted with a glass of bubbly. Check in was prompt and we shown to our room by one of the many delicious porters. Our room was a superior twin, with a generous sized bathroom which is standard in all the rooms. Our view however, was of a rather fetching building site which was a great disappointment to say the least. Undeterred we asked at reception about the possibility of changing rooms to one facing the front and after much umming & ahhing we were advised one would be available in a couple of hours. VERY glad we asked, our 2nd room was identical to the first however the view was spectacular. We stayed for a total of 7 nights and were on a Bed & Breakfast Board. Breakfast was fantastic, great choice, and omelettes, pancakes etc cooked to order. We ate dinner only once at the hotel, and whilst there was a fair selection, many of the dishes were fish based. We enjoyed our meal, found the food tasty but did not feel the cost, 40 euros, to be value for money. Another point on the dining front is that there is no provision for ordering food or snacks at the bar area in the evening. We had been out one evening and had a very poor meal at the Hacienda Restaurant on the beachfront at Del Duque. We returned to the hotel still a bit peckish and decided to go to the terrace and order some port and a cheese-board. Unfortunately though this is apparently not allowed! The restaurant manager although very apologetic stated it was not possible and if we wanted to have any food then we would have to return to our room and order from room service. The restaurant was still open at this stage so we asked whether it would be possible to go in there and order. Again we were informed that it was not possible and if we wanted to eat in the restaurant then we would have to pay 40 euros each for the buffet.
In addtition there was very little in the way of entertainment at the hotel at night and therefore it lacked a little atmosphere, in fact it almost seemed deserted at times. During the day however there was a range of activities and the female fitness instructor was very friendly and enthusiastic! We also sampled the spa, where we opted for the full body massage which, pricewise, was comparable to the same treatment back home.

As for the hill, yes it was steep, but the road to the beach was not too long. My friend went for a 4 mile run each and every morning and still was able to run up the hill afterwards. I daresay though the knowledge that a handsome porter was waiting at the top for her with a bottle of cooled water was a great incentive!!

All in all a very pleasant break with a few minor hiccups which did not deter from our holiday. In fact, we're planning a future trip to the hotel, this time with our husbands!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends