“Great Hospitality - Location Not So Much...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Milena Hotel

Milena Hotel
Ranked #23 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
New York
“Great Hospitality - Location Not So Much...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

THE OWNERS/HOSTS: I would LOVE to be able to give this hotel 5 stars and an EXCELLENT review just for the hospitality but I cannot base this review only on hospitality. I cannot say ENOUGH great things about the owners. First off, Giannis is AMAZING...what an awesome guy! He would drive us into town on the nights we wanted to go there (since traffic and finding parking is so bad during peak season, we didn't want to take our cars). We also got a free pickup and drop-off at the port. I really do agree with other reviewers when they say that they would go back JUST for the owners.

THE LOCATION: The location for me was not so great. I know that technically you don't spend that much time in the hotel, but this hotel is on a SUPER BUSY trafficked road with cars coming up and down at high speeds. There is nothing close to this hotel walking distance except a supermarket and bakery. Once you open the front gates of the hotel, you are literally stepping on the side of this very busy road and you have to be VERY careful crossing the street to go to the parking lot where your car is parked. The walk to town is NOT 15 minutes as another reviewer mentioned - I disagree and would put it closer to 20-25 minutes and most importantly IT IS NOT SAFE to walk on this road from the hotel, especially if you have kids in the group. Truth is, when you are in Mykonos, you are going to go to a different beach every day so regardless of where you stay, you will need to drive. So why not stay in a better location?

THE ROOMS/HOTEL: It is a very very clean hotel, the rooms are quaint, each one with a different color scheme (ours was the pink room). The rooms though are fairly close to each other, and our room had one window that looked out to nothing but the communal passageway and all the doors of the other rooms. And of course, you can hear every conversation happening outside of your door.

People tend to say: It doesn't matter what the hotel looks like or where you stay since you don't spend THAT much time in the room. To be honest though, it does makes a difference. Being in such a beautiful place like Mykonos, isn't it nice to wake up, eat breakfast, sip your morning coffee on a balcony or terrace either facing the beach or a beautiful view?

This, of course is just my personal take on it. If you don't care about views or walking to town, or busy roads, then of course, this is a great place to stay. And again, I wish I could be happier with the location to give it 5 stars only because the hosts were absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, though, if I were to go back, I would stay in a different location - somewhere by a beach or at least somewhere walking distance to town. Somewhere that if I walked out of the hotel, I know I could find some "life" and do something. And I know that there are people out there who probably want the same.

I have to say, I feel terrible even writing this because I loved the hosts and wish I could say the best things about this place but it would be dishonest and a disservice to whomever reading this to give it 5 stars based on hospitality alone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Chrysma

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

The hotel is designed all white in Greek style. Traditional and tidy. I am sure you will like it.The owner is excellent as he pick up us in the airport punctually in the early morning. We felt so safe someone take us to the hotel. I am sure he is a responsible guy and you will enjoy the stay in his place. By the way, thanks for the little souvenir. Every time we see it, think of the unforgettable moments in lovely Mykonos!

1 Thank Connie C
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Was truly a fantastic experience staying at the Milena Hotel! Was told upon our arrival that Gianni actually went down to the port and hotel in the morning to try to find us and pick us up! However he could not locate us as he did not have our flight details and we only flew into Mykonos in the late evening. By the way... for those flying into Mykonos airport, Milena Hotel is located only a short walking distance away. After checking in and freshening up, Gianni offered to drive us to the city centre for dinner and also gave us a detailed map of the island and adviced on where we can get good food/ place to take the bus back to the hotel/ what to do. Milena Hotel is within walkable distance to the city centre but for those who prefer to have a relaxing holiday, you can just rent a 4 wheel ATV at around 20euros (for 24hrs) and you can drive it anywhere around Mykonos island to do your exploration! Parking of the rented ATV is free just opposite Milena Hotel as advised by Gianni. Everything was just wonderful and I really love the hospitality which Hotel Milena provided... especially to Gianni as he arranged for his cousin to be pick us up from the city centre with our luggages in the car and then fetched us to the port to wait for our ferry to Santorini. We were also really surprised that Gianni appeared at the port soon after just to bid us farewell and hoped that we enjoyed our stay in Mykonos. I am honestly truly impressed with his sincerity and hospitality which he had rendered throughout my stay there!!! :) Thumbs up and would really recommend this hotel to my friends!

Room Tip: Rooms are cosy and very clean! =)
2 Thank lingyu_teng
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at hotel Milena for a long weekend in Mykonos in September.
The hotel itself is very clean and quiet pretty. It is located about 15 minutes walk from the centre of Mykonos town or a 2 min drive. On arrival the owner pick us up at the port. He often went out of his way to help us and on several occasions drove us into Mykonos town.
Great place to stay with amazing owners.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank auroraSydney
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Only stayed one night before returning home. Chose it because of its proximity to the Airport, but could have stayed here longer. It is on a good bus route to town although Giannis seemed always willing to drive us. Nice reception and welcome from Giannis and his mother and very clean accommodation throughout. We would stay again if in Mykonos.

Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Very nice and comfortable hotel, very polite and friendly personnel. My girlfriend and I loved this hotel, the owner Giannis and his mom were so helpful, he drove us a couple of times to downtown and to airport. Definitely would go again and recommend to anybody. The hotel is perfectly located. If you rent a bike , an atv or a car there is a very handy large parking area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel was brilliant. Family owned and managed. the staff were lovely and very helpful. The location was perfect for us. it was half way between the beach and the town. There was a bus stop right outside the door. The hotel was clean and the rooms were simple but spacious. Free transfers to and from the ports and airport. Really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
#55 of 82 in Mykonos Town
Hotel Gorgona
Hotel Gorgona
#35 of 82 in Mykonos Town

Been to Milena Hotel? Share your experiences!