“Live hotel Tagoo”

Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Live hotel Tagoo”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I was positive that when I went to Greece I wanted a family owned hotel where I could get a wonderful Greek experience. At hotel Tagoo I got even more. We were greated every breakfast by the owner who helped point us in the right direction for beaches, restaurants, and various activities. The rooms were clean with a wonderful view. They are not equipped with many tv channels or technology but I found thats what I needed to unwind in Greece. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marini5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I would strongly recommend staying at Hotel Tagoo for anyone traveling to Mykonos. It is an amazing value for many reasons. It is a nice clean hotel that is fairly simple in it's rooms which allows them to offer a great value in terms of room rates. The best part about Hotel Tagoo is the staff. Every morning Anna, the owner, would come around at breakfast and ask how everyone's day was and what you were planning on doing that day. She helped orient us to the town and guide us to some of the best spots we would not have discovered on our own. She guided us to amazing restaurants and most importantly helped us plan what beach was the best for us to visit given our interests and the wind conditions. It was very windy during our trip but Anna helped us make it to sheltered coves that allowed us to enjoy the beautiful beaches. The hotel location itself is also perfect. It is about a 5 to 10 minute walk to town- up a hill that offers absolutely amazing views of the sea and Mykonos town. My wife and I were initially hesitant to go to Mykonos given it's late night party reputation but Hotel Tagoo is located perfectly. We were able to go and have fun in town when we wanted but still be able to go back to the hotel and get some rest while the rest of the city was partying all night. We knew how lucky we were with our experience in Mykonos given the insight we received from the hotel staff; however, on the way home talking with fellow travelers we realized how truly lucky we were. Some were disappointed due to the weather or felt the town wasn't all they expected, With Anna's advice, we were able to explore the island over our 6 day stay and see much more of it than a typical visitor would. A few other perks are, a shuttle that will pick you up once you arrive in Mykonos or drop you off as you depart, Greek night with demonstrations by the staff on Greek culture, and a free breakfast buffet each morning. If you are looking for a great value in your stay on Mykonos, then I highly suggest Hotel Tagoo for it's location and amazing staff.

3 Thank Mark M
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently stayed at Hotel Tagoo and it was everything we had hoped and more. Their motto is " Come as guests, leave as friends" I cannot state our stay better. We were very well cared for and the owners take a personal interest in making sure all of your needs are met. All of their recommendations were first class. We were there for Greek night and learned to make Tzatki and learned two Greek dances. We unfortunately only stayed 4 nights. Wish we had been there longer.
Don't mistake for Cabo Tagoo - this is Hotel Tagoo - Gianni and Anna are wonderful hosts and will make you feel like family!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If you are looking for a traditionally Greek hotel with amazing rooms, amazing staff, amazing sunset views and you want an amazing holiday then Hotel Tagoo (just a 10 minute walk or 5 euro taxi ride) from Mykonos town is the place to stay. This was our first visit to the island and we couldn't have selected a better place to stay. Being greeted at the airport to take you to the hotel then on arrival all the staff welcoming you, providing you with all the information you need to make the most of your trip and Anna & Yannis (our amazing hosts) inviting guests to a complimentary Greek night all made for a wonderful visit. In all my years of travel I can't recall a hotel which not only exceeded my expectations but with such genuinely friendly staff - all wanting to ensure your trip isn't just a holiday but a truly memorable experience - all add up to an amazing holiday and plans to return sooner than later.

Room Tip: Hotel Tagoo has a good range of rooms to suit all budgets and needs - just ask.
2 Thank David P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel, the view and the family that run it! It was in a perfect location (10m from wherever you want to be). The hotel owner Yanni picks you up from the airport, allows you to settle in and come back for an orientation of the island. Things to do, maps and recommendations. A great hotel to be at for the sunset. Breathtaking and surreal!

There is daily breakfast and a full service rooftop bar overlooking the Aegean Sea! The family (staff) is friendly and polite. In fact, they ate the best and I can't say enough about them! I was blessed to find a great place, with great people, great view, great location, in such a beautiful island!

Thank you to Hotel Tagoo and the family!

Mona

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mona F
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the best hotel I have ever stay. I never receive an VIP service in any hotel like this one,even I was booking a normal rate room. Due to the boat delay, I was an hour late to the hotel, but the owner waited for me and drive me to the hotel without complaint. I never need to carry the the luggage after I arrive. The owner give detail description of Mykonos and introduces us to other people. The owner gives us a wine as gift for our honeymoon. The hotel view is very nice, with a sunset view on the pool. Balcony in the room so we can have a private place to enjoy the wine and sunset. Basically I treat the owner as friends and we even talk about other good vacation spot in Europe. I can go on and on. The bottom line is the owner strive for a family style hotel and the owner treat us very special just like a VIP not an ordinary customer like other hotel do.

3 Thank Ezgundam
Toronto
Reviewed 30 April 2014

When I reviewed Hotel Tagoo after staying there for the first time back in September 2007, I called the hotel "terrific" and praised its staff for their warm and generous hospitality. I also described Hotel Tagoo's energetic and affable manager, Anna, as "the best hotel host we've ever had the pleasure to meet on any of our travels."

I never expected to return, since we usually (but not always) stay at different hotels if we re-visit a destination. But in the seven years since that first visit, I have been drawn back to Hotel Tagoo four more times -- in 2009 and 2011 with my partner, in 2012 by myself during a solo trip to Greece, and in 2013 with my partner once again.

Over that passage of time, the hotel that impressed me so much in 2007 made an even bigger positive impression, and played a lead role in making each visit to Mykonos better than the one before. I'm absolutely certain we would not have enjoyed our Mykonos holiday experiences as much if we had we stayed somewhere other than Hotel Tagoo.

What we appreciated most about the hotel during our first visit turned out to be the exact same features we enjoyed each of the other four times:

* The convenient location -- Hotel Tagoo is a reasonably short walking distance from the vibrant commercial center of Mykonos Town, but just far enough away to provide peace and quiet and an escape from all the hustle and bustle.

* The wonderful views of the sea, several nearby islands and the fabulous Mykonos sunsets

* The complimentary transfers for guests arriving and departing by airplane or ferry (this is not just a handy convenience but a significant money and time-saving service, particularly for people visiting during the peak travel months of July and August, since there are only 31 taxis on the entire island)

* The sea-view swimming pool terrace and pool bar areas, which are great places to meet and mingle with other guests, or to simply enjoy some private time soaking up the sunshine, reading, or enjoying the beautiful scenery and sunsets.

* The comfortable and exceptionally clean rooms and common areas

* The hearty breakfasts (included in the price of the room)

* The budget-friendly room rates (which are surprisingly reasonable for a hotel with sea views and a swimming pool on an expensive island like Mykonos), plus

* Anna and her superb group of employees. Although some staff have moved on and a few new people have taken their places in the last three years, the newcomers have blended seamlessly into the team and have maintained the tradition of excellent service that has become a trademark characteristic of the hotel.

The afternoon/evening receptionist Rouli is interesting and fun to chat with and, like Anna, has been an excellent source of information about Mykonos beaches, attractions and nightlife. The pool boy & general helper, Baggelhs, speaks limited English, but is friendly, outgoing and helpful (and amazingly manages to keep a straight face whenever I mangle the Greek language while trying to practise basic conversational phrases and sentences.)

Meanwhile, it has always been a pleasure to arrive and see the familiar faces of the core group of people that make Hotel Tagoo happen -- Anna and the members of her immediate family. Anna's husband, Yiannis, is usually the first and last member of staff guests will see since, as the shuttle bus driver, he picks them up at the ferry port or airport when they arrive and takes them to their departure point after check-out. (How he manages to keep his composure coordinating all the arrivals and departures from three different locations, particularly during the peak season heavy traffic on the island's narrow, busy roads, is beyond me!) Anna's brother, Jimmy, is the cheerful, good-natured chap who tends the popular bar on the swimming pool terrace from late morning until the last guest has called it a night -- however late that might be. Anna & Yiannis's sons Theodori and Arguris help out at the hotel from time to time as well.

Together, the family and their staff create a remarkable ambience that I haven't encountered at any other hotel or resort anywhere in my travels. Although management and employees at most hotels we've stayed at in Greece have generally been pleasant and helpful (particularly at small family-run accommodations on the islands), and though we'd be happy to pay a return visit sometime to most of the places we have been to, none can compare to Hotel Tagoo. None even come close to offering such an enjoyable holiday environment.

What I think makes Hotel Tagoo so unique and special is Anna's immense spirit of philoxenia (hospitality), which sets the overall tone for all the staff and fosters a wonderfully warm, relaxed and friendly atmosphere throughout the hotel.

Morning has always been my personal favourite time at Hotel Tagoo because of the lively interaction that takes place between Anna and guests during this busy part of the day. The breakfast area is situated off to one side of the reception room and lounge, so there's a steady stream of people coming and going -- dropping in for a bite to eat or a coffee; checking in or out; obtaining Mykonos directions and information from Anna; and so on.

In between answering questions and fielding phone calls, greeting newly arrived visitors or saying farewell to those who are leaving that day, Anna takes time to chat with her guests to hear how they've been enjoying Mykonos, to get their feedback about restaurants, bars, beaches and island attractions, to help them plan a memorable day of activities, and to introduce them to other people staying at the hotel. We have had delightful breakfast conversations about travel and other topics with people of all ages from the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the United States, Brazil, France, Singapore, Taiwan, the Philippines, Spain and many other countries. It's a good place and time to hear first-hand feedback about other travellers' experiences and exchange tips and information about Mykonos and other places. Best of all is that there's a refreshing, easygoing ambience that we've never experienced at other hotels, where people tend to pass their breakfast time whispering or speaking quietly to their spouses, kids or travel companions only, while giving everyone else a cursory nod or a gruff "good morning" -- if they bother acknowledging other people at all.

My next favourite time at Hotel Tagoo is early evening, when many guests head to the swimming pool terrace and bar to watch the sunset or enjoy a drink and some conversation before going into Town or elsewhere on the island for dinner. The atmosphere is casual and light -- not stuffy and uptight like the pool bar scenes we have experienced at four- and five-star hotels on the island on previous vacations. People chat about places they went to and things they did during the day while newly-arrived guests get treated to glasses of ouzo during an informal orientation meeting at which either Anna or Rouli provides information about Mykonos and the hotel, and answers any questions they may have. On occasion, Anna and Yiannis host Greek Night parties that feature delicious home-made appetizers, Greek music and traditional Greek dancing demonstrations and lessons. Evenings at the pool bar offer a no-pressure, no-attitude opportunity to socialize with other guests and chat with Anna and Yiannis, who often drop in for awhile. Guests who prefer some privacy or alone time can enjoy that, too, since there's plenty of space on the pool terrace or upper sundeck -- or even the terraces outside their rooms -- to relax with a cocktail or a glass of wine.

My least favourite time? Checking out and leaving for the airport or ferry terminal. It's tough saying goodbye to people who have offered so much generous hospitality and helped me enjoy Mykonos to the fullest. The hotel motto is "Enter as strangers, leave as friends," and on each of my departure days I have honestly felt a touch of sadness bidding farewell to people who made me feel like they had been close long-time friends or family.

As for what has changed at Hotel Tagoo over the past seven years, we have noticed some significant improvements along with some minor changes, all of which have been positive and have greatly improved guest comfort and enjoyment of the hotel:

* The breakfast buffet has been enhanced with the addition of several hot food items, including eggs, bacon and sausages, to accompany the selection of breads, pastries, cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, cereals, coffee, tea and juice.

* Umbrellas have been installed next to lounge chairs on the swimming pool terrace, and a new upper-level deck with a sunbathing terrace and a shaded sitting area has been created.

* New accessories added to each of the hotel rooms include a kettle with cups and saucers, an iron and ironing board, and good quality beach towels (items you won't find in most Greek island hotel rooms -- and especially not at budget-class hotel properties). Wi-fi service also has been extended throughout the hotel property.

* The beds have recently been upgraded with the same high-quality mattresses and pillows you will find in suites at some of the expensive 5-star resorts on Mykonos. (A common complaint travellers make about Greece is that hotel beds tend to be far too firm and pillows too flat for comfort -- not a worry at Hotel Tagoo, where the soft cozy beds guarantee a good night's rest.)

The end result is that, after five visits in seven years, I can honestly say Hotel Tagoo continues to be a great place to stay, and Anna is still the consummate hotel host. We have stayed at more than 30 different Greek hotels during that same period of time, but none has had the same special atmosphere as Hotel Tagoo, and none has had a manager as helpful and outgoing as Anna.

Hotel Tagoo may be just a budget hotel, but it has a 5-star heart and soul.

Some additional comments, tips and observations:

* Photos on the Hotel Tagoo website accurately show what the rooms, common areas and views actually look like.

* Although most rooms have either a direct sea view or partial sea view, a couple of rooms do not. If a good view is crucial, be sure to inquire if sea view accommodation is available at the time you make your reservation.

* As is the case with most hotels in the Greek islands, only a few rooms at Hotel Tagoo have a totally private terrace or balcony. Most have a table and chairs in a sitting area that is situated next to a common walkway, meaning that other hotel guests may walk past only a few feet away while you're sitting outside your room. If utter privacy is essential, be sure to inquire about the availability of a room with a private balcony. If you can't stand the thought of people being able to see you while you're on your balcony or terrace, Hotel Tagoo probably isn't the right place for you.

* The nearest minimarket or convenience store is in Mykonos Town. If you need bottled water but don't feel like making the trek into Town and back, you can purchase water (and other beverages) at the pool bar. If you don't feel like leaving the hotel for lunch or dinner, you can order hot and cold snacks like pizza and salads at the pool bar, too (the salads are delicious, by the way). Alternatively, you could order in from one of a number of Mykonos restaurants -- including Oregano -- that offer delivery service.

* The walk from the hotel to the commercial center of Mykonos Town takes around 15 minutes and is on a downhill slope much of the way with pleasant scenery the entire route. Coming back takes longer because much of the walk is uphill. This particular hill isn't anywhere near as steep and as thigh-burning difficult to climb as most of the hills surrounding Mykonos Town -- it's just a long, gradual incline. If you're out of shape, or you ate or drank too much in Mykonos Town and dread the thought of walking back to the hotel, take a taxi! It's a short ride and will cost only several Euros.

* Hotel Tagoo is not situated on or close to a major beach. The best beaches are scattered along the southern coast of Mykonos or on Panormos Bay to the east, accessible either by rental vehicle or by bus service from Mykonos Town. If you don't have a vehicle and don't feel like walking into Town to catch a bus, you could walk to Agios Stefanos beach instead. It's a short distance past the Mykonos New Port, less than a 25-minute walk from the hotel (roughly the same amount of time it would take to walk from Hotel Tagoo to the Fabrika bus depot on the south side of Mykonos Town to catch a bus to Paradise or Platis Gialos beach). Agios Stefanos beach is perfectly fine for sunbathing and swimming and has several good tavernas and bars.

* If you're a first-time visitor to Mykonos, be sure to attend the hotel's orientation meeting. You'll receive lots of helpful information about things to see and do on the island plus places to eat, drink and party -- all based on recommendations passed along by other Hotel Tagoo guests. And if Anna and Yiannis happen to host a Greek Night while you're staying there, don't miss it! I have been fortunate to attend two Greek Nights at Hotel Tagoo, and had a blast both times.

* If you're travelling solo, this is a fantastic place to stay! Thanks to Hotel Tagoo's laid-back, easy-going atmosphere, it's easy to meet other people at breakfast or in the evening. On my solo trip I met a number of people of all ages who invited me to join them for lunch, dinner, beach trips or sightseeing. Several times, various guests gathered informally to go out for dinner or drinks together (one night 18 guests from the hotel went to Matthew Taverna in Tourlos for an impromptu group dinner followed by a fun night on the town.) And there's always someone to talk to, whether it's other guests or some of the personable staff like Anna, Jimmy, Yiannis or Rouli. Should you prefer to do your own thing and not mix and mingle with others, no worries -- though the hotel has a social atmosphere, anyone's preference for alone time will be respected.

* The hotel appeals to visitors of all ages and backgrounds, from people in their 20s to senior citizens. We have met singles, couples and families, as well as honeymooners, groups of friends, straights and gays, and people from all walks of life. Everyone enjoys the hotel, as you will note if you read through the hundreds of other laudatory reviews. I have spoken to dozens and dozens of other guests over the course of our visits to Hotel Tagoo, and have never heard any negative comments (except people saying they were sad to be leaving because they had such a good time staying there). The feedback about the hotel has always been overwhelmingly positive, and the considerable number of annual repeat visitors confirms that this is a good place to stay.

* Finally, if you have any concerns or any kind of problem with your accommodations (whether at Hotel Tagoo or any other hotel), bring it to the attention of someone on staff immediately. Don't just stay silent and stew about something you're not happy with -- the hotel can't change things if you don't tell staff what's wrong. Our experience has been that the Hotel Tagoo staff have always responded promptly and efficiently to correct any problems or address any worries we may have had.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple