“5 star lodge”

Nyungwe Forest Lodge
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This lodge is nestled in rolling tea plants. Very tastefully planned and decorated. The rooms are large, and comfortable. Large bathroom with all the amenities. Nice balconies with monkeys in the forest to keep you company. Although some of the other reviewers didn't like the food, we thought it was wonderful. The service was impeccable, servers very nice. We were immediately greeted with a drink, which was welcome after our long drive. They offer a tea service every evening that provides an education on how tea is grown and cultivated. Our gal was very sweet and knowledgable. The staff was very helpful, providing early breakfast for us as we went chimp trekking. Our guide had advised us to bring our luggage to the lobby prior to going chimp trekking, but on our return, the staff allowed us to return to our room (even though it had been cleaned already) and take showers, get cleaned up. Then we had a wonderful lunch prior to our departure. We only stayed one night, but I could have stayed longer. It's a very peaceful setting.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I knew what to expect as far as the service, the location and the quality of the rooms were concerned but I had low expectations of the restaurant judging from other reviews and word of mouth reports. However, as my friend and I sat at our first meal we immediately wondered how people could have been disappointed. The food was beautifully presented and tasted absolutely delicious - certainly worth a five star rating anywhere in our opinion. We mentioned the quality of the food as we checked out at which point the chef himself appeared to hear our compliments, telling us how happy he was with our judgement as he only started there two weeks earlier! Well, that explains the discrepancy between earlier reviews and the wonderful eating experiences we enjoyed three times a day - plus the five o'clock tea time treats!! I really hope I can manage to spend more time at Nyungwe Forest Lodge at some point in the future, having never before experienced such high quality service in such beautiful surroundings both inside and outside the Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnP-VSO
Reviewed 4 June 2013

When the lodge came into sight, at the end of an hour's transfer from the Kamembe airport in Rusizi / Cyangugu, my memories of the first visit came rushing back. The early evening had turned chilly already and the hot towels were a welcome gesture to wipe the sweat and dust of the travel off. I asked to have a cup of tea instead of a glass of chilled juice and yes, of course that was immediately arranged.
By the time the pre- printed check in form was handed to me, signed and returned, it had turned dark outside but staff was at hand to walk me to my cottage room and my bags were delivered at the same time.
The superbly appointed bathroom, offering a large tub and a shower cabin, stocked with a range of top of the range cosmetic products, shampoos and shower gels, again surprised me with a heated towel rack, most welcome considering the falling temperatures outside. Isn't there anything better than stepping out of the shower and having a warm towel at hand?
I still think that the furnishings would fit better into a city hotel and hope that when the first major refurbishment comes due, a more indigenous line of fabrics can be introduced, as the modern style, in my humble view, clashes with the setting and the ambience of the cabins.
The bedding quality remains top quality, pillows and duvet, and the internet connection was fast and accessible without much ado.
The food and service have matured too and if I had one issue, pasta should be served immediately when ready and not wait under the salamander until everyone else in the party I travelled with had finished their starters ... It was a night of a full moon when I stayed at the Nyungwe Forest Lodge this time and the tea plantations were illuminated in the silver light of the moon, with the dark outline of Nyungwe Forest surrounding the lodge's cottages.
There are now several hikes along well prepared trails available into Nyungwe Forest National Park and guides from the nearby Gisakura park sub headquarters will take visitors for chimpanzee tracking, to see the Colobus monkey colonies, other primates, birds, trees, shrubs and orchids galore of course. For visitors flying into Kamembe, the lodge, at a cost, arranges transport which can also be hired to drive to the canopy walk jump off point.
Overall once again a great visit, but again, too short. Three nights at the least are needed, four would be better even, to more fully explore the forest before returning to the lodge and enjoying pool and Spa, food and hospitality. Until we meet again!

Room Tip: All rooms face the forest and have their own balcony but those who can afford it, should opt for one...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This is a beautiful developing area of Rwanda. The Nyungwe National Park has a canopy walk, chimp tracking possibilities and beautiful hikes around waterfalls. This hotel is just steps away from the entrance to the amazing waterfall hike. It is actually on a tea plantation, and tea is promoted here. It's such a healthy and natural place to be, and it's hard to tear yourself away from a deck where you are "taking tea!"
Each guest has their own cabin, and each cabin has a back entrance with a deck that opens out to the rainforest, so monkey sightings are possible right from your room. The food service is pretty terrific, and there is a spa and pool there if nature isn't offering you enough respite.

Room Tip: It's a long walk to some of the cabins from the reception area, so request a close one if that p...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Not only is this hotel spectacular it's an amazing bargain. I don't know how long they can afford this kind of pricing. I didn't want to leave. The food was a tad boring bit you could certainly order up your own custom meal to solve that. I recommend meeting the chef to spell out what you like or don't like to give him time to prepare it for you.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This was our top end experience, we ve saved money to stay here and it was the best decision. The place is amazing, lots of wildlife that you can see from the balcony of your room. Setting is unbelievable - on the tea plantation overlooking Nyngwe forest. Food is really good although probably not up to 5 star standards. Staff friendly, service bit slow but overall experience suppresses all expectations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stayed at Nyungwe Forest Lodge for two nights and loved every moment! The rooms were beautifully situated, and we often saw a slew of monkeys (Colobus and Blue) from our balconies. It was incredibly peaceful and we spent hours sitting outside by the pool just reading our books. While the food wasn't incredible, it was still some of the best food that we ate in Rwanda. The staff was incredibly helpful, especially Christine and Umar, and genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay.
We weren't overly impressed with the spa's services. My facial was adequate; however, my sister was disappointed with her massage. While on the subject of disappointments, we did find our room to be a tad musty so we kept the door open often.
Rather than drive from Kigali, we took the short plane ride to Kamembe and then hired a driver to drive us the one hour to the lodge. The lodge wasn't great about helping to arrange this part of our trip--we had to make all the arrangements ourselves which was tricky trying to communicate with the driver using my basic French.
I would head back to this lodge in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank HKGal059
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gafunzo
Panorama Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gikongoro
Emeraude Kivu Resort
Emeraude Kivu Resort
#1 of 7 in Cyangugu

Been to Nyungwe Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!