“historic luxury”

Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Cangas de Onis
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“historic luxury”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a superb parador nestled in a valley. The Parador itself is split between the historic monastery and a modern wing. The modern wing is well appointed with spacious rooms and the larger rooms work well for a family of 4 on a stop over. However, the rooms in the monastery look superb and full of character so probably worth asking for a room in the historic part.

Our only disappointment was the evening meal let the experience down. I will give the parador the benefit of the doubt as a large wedding was going on and the food that we witnessed being taken through was much more of the standard we had been looking forward to. So I think we were just unlucky and our waitress was probably rushed off her feet which would explain her less than welcoming demeanour. The breakfast in the morning saved the day as it was varied and plentiful that cheered my family up.

Also a 12 check-out as standard was very welcome to ensure a relaxing to start to the day.

Room Tip: Do ask for a room in the monastery for what looks like a wonderful experience.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ignacio B, Gerente at Parador de Cangas de Onis, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Scotdavis

Firstly, let me thank you for taking part of your time to evaluate your stay at the Parador de Cangas de Onís.

Surrounded by the environment where the Monastery of San Pedro de Villanueva lies, it is hard to find such a beauty placed together, because just a few miles long you can enjoy the National Park “Picos de Europa”, plenty of special trails along the Rio Sella.

I am pleased to know you found perfect our romos, historical building and our breakfast; our team works hard every day to provide our customers feel so.

I regret you did not enjoy with the dinner in our restaurant for your next visit we hope we’ll be
better in this point.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights recently and had an absolutely fabulous time! The hotel, which is a former monastery with additions, is situated on the banks of the river Sella on the edge of the Picos de Europa. Our room was in the new annexe but was very comfortable, with a huge bathroom and lovely armchairs to sit in. The food in the restaurant was excellent and we dined in on 3 out of our 6 nights, simply because the food was so good. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous and really set us up for days of walking in the Picos. Service was first class and we particularly enjoyed having a drink in the bar before dinner. The building itself is fascinating to wander round - make sure not to miss the free guided tour which takes place every evening at 7!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room in the old, monastery part of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Clive B

I am pleased to know you found perfect our services; our team works hard every day to provide our customers feel so.

Vigo, Spain
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Another wonderful Parador experience.

The Parador de cangas de Onis is a former monastery situated in the beautiful Picos de Europa area of northern Spain. My room was very comfortable and the service first class. Dinner and breakfast were very good. I cannot recomend the Paradores enough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Ignacio B, Gerente at Parador de Cangas de Onis, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Stephen C

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

What a beautiful setting for this parador surrounded by mountains on the river Sella near Cangas de Onís and in a wonderful monastery building. Service excellent and food outstanding. Ideal for a quiet break in the countryside away from the tourist centres. Cangas de Onís just a couple of kms away and we enjoyed a lovely walk there along the river, finishing with a cool paddle in the Sella below the Roman bridge. Also a great base for a trip to the lakes. We loved it in spite of getting soaked in low cloud!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ignacio B, Gerente at Parador de Cangas de Onis, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Tom R

Firstly, let me thank you for taking part of your time to evaluate your stay at the Parador de Cangas de Onis.

San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Cangas de onis is a little jewel in the picos de España! A charming to,wn with lots of activities and a great beauty.
The Parador is a perfect place to visit Cangas. The best rooms are in the cloister, be sure to ask for those.
The new rooms are nice but regular.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ninfa L

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were booked into this Parador on the first night of a week long driving tour of northern Spain. The location was about 90 minutes from the Santander ferry and we arrived at about 9.00pm. Our room was extremely spacious in the new part of the hotel, the old part being an old monastery complete with cloisters and chapel. as a first stop within easy reach of the ferries I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tcichris

I am pleased to know you found perfect your room. Our team works hard every day to provide our customers feel so.

VALENCIA
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The Location of this hotel is lovely. The old building is great and really interesting. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room was fine. The only negative was the sound proofing room to room is not very good and you can hear your neighbours. Wether this only applies to the new section I am not sure. The food we had was good and the aura of this old monastery is wonderful. I would recommend it but perhaps if I go again I will ask for a room in the old building not the new section.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EXPATMAN
Ignacio B, Gerente at Parador de Cangas de Onis, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear EXPATMAN

I regret you had problem with noise in your room we try to resolve as soon as possible. For your next visit, we hope we’ll be able to assign you one of the rooms from the Monastery, so that you can know and enjoy the different kind of rooms we can offer you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cangas de Onis
Puebloastur Eco-Resort Wellness & Spa
Gran Hotel Pelayo
Gran Hotel Pelayo
#2 of 3 in Covadonga

Been to Parador de Cangas de Onis? Share your experiences!