“Do I really have to go back to Poland?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vasilaras Hotel

Vasilaras Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Angistri
Williamsburg
“Do I really have to go back to Poland?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

We just returned from our Easter holiday in Greece and had a wonderful stay at the Vasilaras. We felt like family during out entire stay, which made it all the more difficult to depart - my daughter was almost in tears after saying goodbye to Maria and Patrick (owners of the Vasilaras). Here is some info that we thought others might find helpful:

Email communication leading up to the trip - excellent considering that the island is just now slowly getting "connected" via a high speed service. Entire stay, with a few changes, were easily confirmed along the way (worst case took a day to get a response).

Room - get the Massionettes! We were in #4, which had a great view of the water, and a private balcony, whirlpool tub, mini-fridge, iron/board, hairdryer, 2 T.V.s, mini-stove with plates, cups, etc., and two showers. Some of the appliances leaked/sprayed water a bit, but nothing tragic. Floors creaked rather loudly (both levels), so my heart went out to the folks who stayed below us. Water was always hot when needed. Overall, a slightly above average room with a few quirks, but you don't come to Agistri to stay in your room all day, right?

Security - felt rather safe on the island, and in the hotel.

Bugs - bring your insect repellent. The mosquitoes are out, but we only had one in the apt. during our 9-day stay. Other local "mini-bugs" seem to find their way in during the day, but that happens everywhere on the island.

Food/Breakfast - OUTSTANDING - best octopus on the island! Reasonably priced for the island as well. We had less expensive food at other restaurants, and we chuckled that we "got what we paid for." Breakfast (included) was simple and convenient, and you could always "beef it up" if you wanted to pay a little extra.

Service- Absolutely wonderful. If we needed an extra towel, extra sheet, extra anything...Maria and Patrick helped instantly. Staff always had ferry times listed too which helped plan out our days. Hotel is "green conscious" as well, so if you hang up your towel, you most likely wont get a replacement. Toss them in the tub, and there is no question you want them replaced.

Pool - looked great/clean, but was too cold to use in April.

Relaxation factor - if you are going to Agistri, stay at the Vasilaras and let your troubles fade away.

Distance to Orthodox Church - 5 min. walk along the shoreline.

Internet - none, and I could not pick up a wireless signal either. But, there are a few tavernas (5 min walk) that offer free wireless.

Nightlife - the island wasn't in full swing in April, but there were a few places along the shoreline that had potential during the busy summer months.

We loved our stay and would recommend the Vasi to anyone looking for the same experiences listed above. Have a great time!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

I almost don't want to tell you about this hotel, it is so good that it really should be kept a secret!
We spent the first three days of our holiday on Agistri in a different hotel in Skala, with which we were a little disappointed, so we decided to search out somewhere else to stay. By great good fortune we found The Vasilaras, where we were instantly made very welcome.
We had a room in the main building, which we liked although other people seemed to prefer the newer rooms in the building opposite.
The staff couldn't have been kinder, or more helpful, and the whole place has very much of a 'club' feeling about it, with most guests returning year after year. Despite this it is not at all cliquey.
The food is great, although there are also a good many restaurants within walking distance.
The beach is also a very short walk away, although it is pretty small and slightly scruffy. We found the hotel pool much more inviting.
Do stay here - but don't let everyone know about it!

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Herlev
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

I don't think I've ever stayed at a place where so many things lived up to my expectations. In just about all the hotels in this price range that I've stayed at before, I've expected compromise in some way. I didn't have to worry about that at Vasilaras.

We stayed in a maisonette with a lovely balcony with a great view over the sea, small harbour and ferry port. The arrival of the ferry a couple of times a day, signalled by the loud sounding of its fog horn, just added to the special atmosphere. The comings and goings, which were really quite limited, did nothing to disturb the tranquil atmosphere. It was perfect sitting out on the balcony, which was in shade for most of the day.

Although we tried several different restaurants in Scala, we didn't really have to. The food at Vasilaras is just excellent. So if I were you, I'd just go and sit in the beautifully planned glade by the pool, and enjoy a well prepared meal right in your own backyard. Save your money for other activities!

A review wouldn't be complete without mentioning the hoteliers. I've been to Greece several times, and friendliness and helpfulness are definitely not traits I associate with the country. However, the owners at Vasilaras were very helpful and generous. It was a pleasure spending time with them. Even when they were very busy.

So, I'm sure you can see that my impression of Vasilaras is 5 star. I'm really impressed with the place and the concept they are developing there. I most definitely recommend it.

• Liked — The high standard of the rooms, and the spa baths!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Reading, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

This is our second visit to Agistri and the second time we have stayed at the Vasilaras Hotel, Skala. Both times we have stayed in the very comfortable suites which are separate from the hotel. This time we stayed in one of the masonettes, upstairs the bedroom has an on-suite with a shower and jacuzzi, there is also a toilet/showeroom off the large lounge/dining/kitchen area, on the first floor. The ample balcony has lovely views across the sea to Aegina and the beaches of Agistri.When we arrived at Milos port in May, Maria ( the owner of both the hotel and appartments),was there to greet us and take us to Skala in her little car. She really did make us feel welcome.It felt like we were 'coming home' (hence the title) . There is no doubt we have fallen in love with the island and couldn't imagine staying anywhere else but the Vasilaras, when we visit! Maria is such a lovely person and there is always a surprise on the menu when eating in the evenings, the food is delicious too! In fact we are booked again for September this year and also next May09!

• Liked — Position and views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
North Walsham Norfolk UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We had a wonderful holiday at the Vasilaras Hotel on Agistri. The staff could not have been more helpful or pleasant and the hotel was of excellent quality. We have stayed in lots of hotels on many islands in Greece but this one was definitley the best we have encountered and were so impressed we are going back in September and would not consider staying anywhere else! Thank you and well done to all concerned.
Martin Jennings.

• Liked — Close to the beach and superb staff, Superb food and sevice
  • Disliked — I could not stay longer!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reading, Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

This was our third time to the island and we didn't want to leave!

As you step off the ferry you immediately relax - the island is typically greek which makes for a very relaxed way of life - just like the Greece portrayed in the movie Shirley Valentine.

We have stayed in the Vasilaras Hotel on each of our stays and would not think of staying anywhere else. We were welcomed by Maria as if we were part of her extended family, which made us feel at home straight away. The rooms were clean and spacious and the food in the restaurant was excellent. All amenities are close by and the beach is a short walk away, but with a pool onsite there's no need to go anywhere if you just want to sunbathe and relax in the sun.

If you want a relaxing holiday, with a warm welcome and excellent food try the Vasilaras Hotel in Agistri - we would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Warm Welcome and Great Food & Drink
  • Disliked — Having to come home!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Athens
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2008

I wanted to write my experience of my stay in this hotel in order to prevent others from being victims.
Vasilaras hotel is really beautiful - as the most of the hotels-apartments in Agistri. (The competition is really hard). Unfortunatelly we have to deal with a chain of problems, some of them big and others smaller.

First of all, although the owner (Maria) of the hotel had ensured us (via e-mail) that the room will have sea view, the view was not like that. The room was on the back of the building and its view was another house.

The second one was that the bed was full of ants. When we informed the owner, she just sent a man to change the sheets and spray. (They didn't even tell us an apology or ask if we would like to change room!!!).

Unnecessary to mention that we stayed there for three days and nobody changed the towels!!!Hotel's restaurant (tavern) is very expensive relatively to the other restaurants.The pool is small but good enough if you have children.

The motions are contradictory. Although the stuff tried to serve us, the way was wrong on the majority of the cases. My opinion is that the problem is the management. The lady that manages the hotel is alone and the rooms are so many. She has many responsibilities and she can't go through.
A good proof of the above is that after receiving her mail where she confirmed the availability I wrote back in order to proceed with the reservation. I never got an answer so, after some days I wrote again and then she called giving me a back account. On the telephone I asked her to let me know whether she received the money. I payed the first night and wrote her again, but still I got no answer. One day before the trip I had to call her again and she said yes, sure, it's no problem, don't worry about the money. I understand she is a very cool and relaxed person but one wants to be sure everything is in order before they go on holiday.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple