“Not 5-star for sure!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Neos Marmaras
Brooklyn, New York
“Not 5-star for sure!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I am sorry to say I was greatly letdown by this motel. Thank the heavens for the amazing water at the beach!!!! I cannot see how this motel can be called "world-class", "five star", or "top rated" My fiancé and I actually checked out a day early. I am going to list from the time we arrived the issues I felt were serious and frankly unacceptable for prices charged and the quality you say is offered.... I walked around for three days saying to myself "REALLY???"
- No check-in or check-out line. We were standing there waiting to be called by next available reception employee, when from behind a woman just strolled up and started her check-in process. I figured that this being a top resort that the person behind the counter would say something that there was a line (normally I would have spoken up), but that did not happen. A free for all... REALLY? (We were upgraded free of charge to a junior suite at check-in)
-Room was fabulous. However, there were no bathe towels. I called the front desk (no house keeping phone extension listed on phone) and was told that towels would be brought right away... thirty minutes later still no towels. We went to front desk and was told it will be done right away. Upon returning to our room about an hour later the towels were there.
-Lunch at the Café was nice and tasty. However the service was very poor. We waited 15 minutes to get a menu while the staff was folding napkins. We ordered and then waited another 15 minutes to get the bottle of water we had asked for. REALLY?
-We began exploring the property by walking to where the restaurants were located. I was taken aback when I saw the sign regarding dinner service. I should have taken a picture of it to keep. "NO SORTS or VERMUDAS ALLOWED FOR DINNER" I don't know if the terms sorts or vermudas are actually words or something spelled phonetically, but I can assume it meant shorts. REALLY?
-I was somewhat surprised that there were only THREE sit down menu styled restaurants on the whole property and that the main meals were buffet style. Would have thought that a top rated resort would have more options.
-We were told that the buffet dinner was from 7-10 PM but that we should not expect food to come out of the kitchen past 9:30PM and they were right. The last thing I expected from a top rated resort is for clean up to start while dining area was still open. Does 7-10 PM not mean what it says? REALLY?
-The dress code at dinner was not enforced AT ALL!!!!! Why bother with the sign if no one was going to say anything about it? Guests were in sorts or shorts. Guests were wearing flip flops and tank top t-shirts. There was no dress code. REALLY?
-At dinner we found a table out on the veranda with a great view. The manger came over and said he would have table cleaned up right away and set for us to sit. He then walked over a set up table and started folding a stack of napkins with a staff member. My fiancé and I stood there by the table in disbelief for approximately 7 minutes while they folded away. REALLY?
-On the beach my fiancé witnessed a young child going to the bathroom (not urinating but releasing feces) while the mother stood there. She rinsed him off and threw away the feces. No one ever said anything to them. REALLY?
We checked out the next day, a full day early. Is this what is called "world renowned" "five star" or "top rated"??? I seriously don't think so. You lost a customer for life and I will tell anybody who ever says to me that they want to go to Greece for a vacation (being that I am a Greek-American) that they should avoid Porto Carras at all costs. The strange part is that I am a mild mannered person, I usually never get stressed or upset over things like this. However, this motel pushed me to the point that I am writing reviews on Booking.com and Tripadvisor.com. My expectations were very high for this property. Finally a place in Greece that did not have that "care free, we have rules but don't follow/enforce them" attitude.... Alas it was not so. I am so very sorry to say that I got the same attitude as I had in Greece in all my travels, but its my heritage so I will always be going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank L9366OOjamesp
PascalousisChristos, Διευθυντής at Porto Carras - Meliton, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear James P,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Porto Carras Meliton Hotel for your summer holidays in wonderful Greece. It is always a great pleasure for us to host Greek people living abroad, because we know that they really appreciate the Greek hospitality and the unique beauties of our country.

I was really sorry to know that we didn’t manage to meet your expectations of a perfect stay in our hotel and you didn't find the perfect conditions to enjoy and relax during your holidays with your fiancé.

However, I would like to inform you that in Porto Carras we do take the comments of our guests seriously, and I am going to put all my efforts in order to improve the services you pointed out in your review below.

Kind Regards,
Christos Paschalousis
General Manager of Meliton hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Limassol
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Porto Carras Meliton hotel has all the infrastructure of being a 5* hotel however the staff service/hotel management and the need for major renovations classify it as a medium 4* hotel.

We just returned from a one week stay with our 2 kids. Although we paid for a sea view room we were given a side marina view room and when complained at the reception the first morning we were informed that it was a sea view room(if you hang off the balcony gates) and that the hotel was full and they could not change as rooms!

The staff is not trained adequately and have no knowledge of the items on the menu. When we asked whether the burger at the News cafe is spicy the waitress laughed and said of course not, but guess what it was indeed very spicy and fortunately the order was for us and not the kids.
The staff service especially at the News cafe is slow, you might be searching for a waiter for 15mins!!!

The Pefkos restaurant at the sea front is very expensive and the food quality is below average. The beach bar again has very poor staff service, things that run out are not replaced on time (we found unacceptable the fact that for 4 days there was no vanilla ice cream for them to prepare a milk shake!!!!) and the prices are ridiculously high!€5 for frappe, €5 for milk shakes and €4 for fanta! We visited many 5* (well deserved) hotels in Greece and prices were not as high as this.

One day our kid spilled our coffee on the beach towel and when we went to change it the member of staff at the towel's kiosk refused to change it as you are only allowed one towel every day!!He did change it in the end when he saw how furious my husband became but he warned that this was the one and only time he did as such a BIG favor. This kind of attitude certainly does not much a 5* star hotel!

The rooms are spacious, clean and furniture is new and nice. However the fitted carpets need to be removed both from the rooms and from the corridors as they are not clean and they smell. Although we were 4 we were provided with 3 sets of bath towels almost every day and had to call reception for an extra set. The first 3 nights the mattress in the baby cot was bigger than the bed and did not fit properly. Surprisingly enough this was changed without us asking after the 3rd night.

The resorts's own prepared wines are very nice and should be tried as they are sold at reasonable prices.

The breakfast quality is below average and this is due to the mass production needs as it is a very big hotel. Again here when things run out they were not replaced promptly. The coffee pots served at breakfast are either broken or dirty and are in desperate need to be changed.

Overall the sea is extremely nice, we found sun beds easily and we had a good time. However, the price paid for this hotel was way too high for what we received ( for the room type, staff service and breakfast quality).

We would go there again only if the hotel is renovated and staff/management changes!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DespiCos
Dear DespiCos,

Thank you for spending few minutes to write a review of the Meliton hotel in the Trip Advisor website. It is very important for us to have feedback from our guests and we always find it as an opportunity to improve our services.
I am very sorry to know that we didn't manage to fulfill your expectations of a perfect stay in our hotel, despite the fact that Porto Carras is one of the most comprehensive and complete resort in Greece. I would like to assure you that I am taking your opinion into consideration and that all the necessary measures will be taken in order to improve even the last detail possible regarding the hotels facilities and services offered.

Kind Regards,
Christos Paschalousis
General Manager of Meliton hotel
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was nice, clean and on the beach. However, for a 5* hotel it is not satisfactory at all. After a long journey we arrived at the hotel at 1 am and discovered that there was no baby bed for our 2-year old. We notified reception and they told us that the person responsible had gone home! (What 5* hotel doesn't cater to basic needs 24/7?). So, we had to sleep the baby on the sofa bed and of course, he fell off and cried through the night.

We were on half board and the buffet was big but, again, for a 5* hotel, the quality of the food was not satisfactory. Example: on "Italian night" the only pasta was Napolitana and Bolognese. No lasagna, no risotto etc. I might be slim-picking but you'd expect that from a luxury hotel that charges accordingly.

After having consulted the Hotel Service Booklet in the room, which said that dinner ended at 10pm, we went down at 9.30 only to have the trays taken away from us so no food for us. We complained and the reception lady said: "Oh yes sorry, someone has to change that"!

The hotel will charge you for ANYTHING. There is no free water at dinner (there is some at breakfast) so you have to buy it for 3 EUR. A glass of Coke? 4 EUR. A plate with a piece of fish fillet and 5 pieces of potatoes? 20 EUR. A slice of watermelon? 6 EUR.

There is no free wifi, not even at the lobby! Of course you pay 25 EUR for the week.

All in all, a good, clean hotel on the beach some of the staff (not all of them of course) is at best ineffective

1 Thank Andreas3579
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel durning a golf tournament last October.
Stayed for 5 nights.
Hotel was very nice with many activities.
Loved to take boat ride to the village nearby with my wife where we usually had our dinners and shopping :-)
Rooms were very well kept and service was up to standards
Will stay there again whenever we visit Porto caras again

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I fell in love with a moment in time when the driver turned from Marmaras village to enter the Porto Carras Grand Resort, the picture was amazing, the sea tranquil with the breathtaking view of the entire resort. We feel blessed to have had the chance to spend a week at this magical place. We were overawed by the vineyards and the mythical experience with the wine tasting which one can see so much tenderness and love in this family orientated wine and olive grove planting. My husband and 4,5 yr old son and I spent endless hours in the sea water lagoons and I daily visited the thalassotherapy, whether it was to get a massage or detox treatment that helped me unwind and take in such beauty. My husband and son played soccer , sea sports, horse riding and spent quality time together. We took a stroll every evening at the marina which was rich in a nautical atmosphere bringing fond memories of Sydneys little marines and later sitting at the restaurants to indulge the glorious food in this fantastic marine setting. All the staff are helpful, with a smile that made our stay feel at home. Everyone was extremely generous and extremely polite. Congratulations to all , Porto Carras Grand Resort is by far an exceptional place to get away, relax, spend quality time with your loved ones. A place respected by the owners which is in perfect harmony with its beautiful landscape. We wish everyone here at the Grand Resort well and great health, we thank you for an amazing time. Dr P

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

5 star??? Maybe once a long time ago but certainly not now. The first room stankand was filthy, the next room had loose shower head which sprayed water everywhere when we showered and flooded the bathroom. The bed in both rooms were singles pushed together and hard as nails. When we complained no more rooms were available, certainly not ones that matched the description we that we booked In to have. They did put a layer of sponge over the mistress which I assume was supposed to make it better. It didn't! The food was the poorest I have eaten in Greece. They couldn't offer a decent tea or coffee. Everyone left towels on the chairs while they swam or went to have their outdoor lunch near the pool. Ours went missing while we had lunch. They wanted to charge us even though they might have collected them themselves the pool guy told us. Great scam!, WHERE is the service?? The grounds are the only thing going for this place. The view is beautiful but it takes more than view to have a relaxing time. Yes the winery makes great wine. The manager only gave us his attention as we were leaving to say he hoped we had a lovely stay ! Even though he was aware of our problems, as we were told to come back at a certain time and he would see us, only to find he didn't turn up and the person on reception now had no idea we needed to see him. They have 'no service' down to an art. Very poor. On top of everything the young lady at the desk who on our arrival said she would look after us and make sure we had a lovely stay, turned out to have a temper that she didn't mind showing you. She would raise her voice and not stop talking to listen to us. I am astounded that the hotel seems to think you should be grateful for staying there and not because you pay to stay there.
I can see review that report very different experiences, maybe this is because those on packages are looked after to spread the word about the packages. Still I don't understand this sort of management! I will not and do not recommend it to anyone. Don't pay for you room until you see what you are getting. Shame on you Porto corrals melting!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GinnyP1706
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Unique location, we loved the beach, pools, breakfast, great facilities. Food experience ...in marina restaurant with famous chef. We had a free family room upgrade with beautiful view of sea and marina(thanks Meliton Porto Carras)! My family spent great moments, your family will love it!

Room Tip: Family room with a sea view!!