“A piece of Chalkidiki heaven”

Porto Carras - Meliton
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Neos Marmaras
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Our most recent visit at Porto Carras Meliton was a few weeks ago, in August 2014. Needless to say that the resort is famous for its unique landscape of lush pine forestry and crystal clear, indulging beaches that make it an exceptional destination to start with.

To start with, the resort offers comfortable and well-equipped rooms with beautiful views – ours was overlooking the marina, which is really unique! Moreover, a lot of well-organised public space to dine, shop, exercise and relax creates a peaceful yet colourful and fun setting, especially when visiting with young children.

However, what stroke me most this time is the high level in their hospitality services; a great effort is paid in offering a seamless service everywhere – even though it was at the peak of the summer high season, the staff was well-organised, willing to help and working hard so as to contribute to a calm, relaxed environment where one can enjoy holiday time.

Dining in the hotel restaurants around the marina was delicious and enjoyable, much better than expected – mostly, thanks to the friendly and helpful staff that really makes a difference!
There are so many activities to choose from that one can spend the whole day without leaving the resort – if you visit with children, do not miss the horse-riding and golf courses; and, of course, you should definitely take a boat excursion or the short trip to the winery and the surroundings, to really experience the versatility of Porto Carras’ offering.

Room Tip: Try a high floor for amazing views; you should prefer the marina view if you want sneak-pics of the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
PascalousisChristos, Διευθυντής at Porto Carras - Meliton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Katerina001,
Thank you for spending some time to write such an amazing review of the Meliton hotel in the Trip Advisor website. Our guests feedback is crucial for us and we truly appreciate your kind comments. It is true that Porto Carras Grand Resort is located in one of the most beautiful areas of Greece and indeed the peninsula of Chalkidiki is a piece of heaven. We are very happy to know that you appreciate the efforts of our hard working staff and we are delighted to receive such a nice comment regarding our rooms and the restaurants located around the Marina. We hope to welcome you once again in our property during next summer and to have to opportunity to offer you our best services and all the Greek hospitality that every visitor of our Resort deserves.

General Manager of Meliton hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,771)

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Room was very good.
Bed extra large.
The central beach was well organized and service was good.
Some problems with occupied umbrellas, even early in the morning.
Wifi very poor due to development.
It's not free!!!!
Bad impression was the cost of a quick visit to the hotels doctor=50€!!!!
On the other hand at the restaurant all the employees were very helpful, friendly and gentle,
esp. if you consider the mass numbers.
Reception was also very calm, friendly and very quick to solve issues. Very good service overall.
Ex.
-change sheets at baby bed in an inconvenient time, promptly.
-fix stuffy washbasin very quick.
What is really worth is the very beautiful site.
Huge area fully covered with pines with ~ 10 or more little bays with sandy beaches across ~ 9 klm shoreline.
We visited them several times and we were alone.
In the same location it's wonderful to run or bike.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
PascalousisChristos, Διευθυντής at Porto Carras - Meliton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear JohnD,

Thank you for taking some time to write a comment regarding our property in the Trip Advisor website. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the natural beauty of our beaches. It is quite true that you may find some of the best and most clean beaches of Chalkidiki in Porto Carras and for this reason our beaches and Marina are being awarded every year with the Blue Flag. Many thanks for your nice comments regarding the staff of the main restaurant and the reception, as well. I hope to welcome you in Meliton Hotel in some of your next trips in wonderful Chalkidiki!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Visited Meliton last month, had a great time and ought to congratulate the owner and staff for the hospitality and overall experience! Delicious greek food, relaxing environment and great overall service! Looking forward to coming back next summer!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I came back to this hotel in 2014 after a previous visit in 2013. I must say that they are much better! The servicies in general are tending towards what a real 5* hotel should offer. Of course, there is a lot of work to do, but you can see that they are trying their best to improve their servicies and please you. The food was much better. I eat a lot of fish and greek specialities.The beach is great. In the marina you can rent a boat , go on boat trips or just take a taxi boat to the nearest town for a visit. It is true that the rooms needs renovation but everithig was clean during our stay.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I am sorry to say I was greatly letdown by this motel. Thank the heavens for the amazing water at the beach!!!! I cannot see how this motel can be called "world-class", "five star", or "top rated" My fiancé and I actually checked out a day early. I am going to list from the time we arrived the issues I felt were serious and frankly unacceptable for prices charged and the quality you say is offered.... I walked around for three days saying to myself "REALLY???"
- No check-in or check-out line. We were standing there waiting to be called by next available reception employee, when from behind a woman just strolled up and started her check-in process. I figured that this being a top resort that the person behind the counter would say something that there was a line (normally I would have spoken up), but that did not happen. A free for all... REALLY? (We were upgraded free of charge to a junior suite at check-in)
-Room was fabulous. However, there were no bathe towels. I called the front desk (no house keeping phone extension listed on phone) and was told that towels would be brought right away... thirty minutes later still no towels. We went to front desk and was told it will be done right away. Upon returning to our room about an hour later the towels were there.
-Lunch at the Café was nice and tasty. However the service was very poor. We waited 15 minutes to get a menu while the staff was folding napkins. We ordered and then waited another 15 minutes to get the bottle of water we had asked for. REALLY?
-We began exploring the property by walking to where the restaurants were located. I was taken aback when I saw the sign regarding dinner service. I should have taken a picture of it to keep. "NO SORTS or VERMUDAS ALLOWED FOR DINNER" I don't know if the terms sorts or vermudas are actually words or something spelled phonetically, but I can assume it meant shorts. REALLY?
-I was somewhat surprised that there were only THREE sit down menu styled restaurants on the whole property and that the main meals were buffet style. Would have thought that a top rated resort would have more options.
-We were told that the buffet dinner was from 7-10 PM but that we should not expect food to come out of the kitchen past 9:30PM and they were right. The last thing I expected from a top rated resort is for clean up to start while dining area was still open. Does 7-10 PM not mean what it says? REALLY?
-The dress code at dinner was not enforced AT ALL!!!!! Why bother with the sign if no one was going to say anything about it? Guests were in sorts or shorts. Guests were wearing flip flops and tank top t-shirts. There was no dress code. REALLY?
-At dinner we found a table out on the veranda with a great view. The manger came over and said he would have table cleaned up right away and set for us to sit. He then walked over a set up table and started folding a stack of napkins with a staff member. My fiancé and I stood there by the table in disbelief for approximately 7 minutes while they folded away. REALLY?
-On the beach my fiancé witnessed a young child going to the bathroom (not urinating but releasing feces) while the mother stood there. She rinsed him off and threw away the feces. No one ever said anything to them. REALLY?
We checked out the next day, a full day early. Is this what is called "world renowned" "five star" or "top rated"??? I seriously don't think so. You lost a customer for life and I will tell anybody who ever says to me that they want to go to Greece for a vacation (being that I am a Greek-American) that they should avoid Porto Carras at all costs. The strange part is that I am a mild mannered person, I usually never get stressed or upset over things like this. However, this motel pushed me to the point that I am writing reviews on Booking.com and Tripadvisor.com. My expectations were very high for this property. Finally a place in Greece that did not have that "care free, we have rules but don't follow/enforce them" attitude.... Alas it was not so. I am so very sorry to say that I got the same attitude as I had in Greece in all my travels, but its my heritage so I will always be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank L9366OOjamesp
PascalousisChristos, Διευθυντής at Porto Carras - Meliton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear James P,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Porto Carras Meliton Hotel for your summer holidays in wonderful Greece. It is always a great pleasure for us to host Greek people living abroad, because we know that they really appreciate the Greek hospitality and the unique beauties of our country.

I was really sorry to know that we didn’t manage to meet your expectations of a perfect stay in our hotel and you didn't find the perfect conditions to enjoy and relax during your holidays with your fiancé.

However, I would like to inform you that in Porto Carras we do take the comments of our guests seriously, and I am going to put all my efforts in order to improve the services you pointed out in your review below.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Porto Carras Meliton hotel has all the infrastructure of being a 5* hotel however the staff service/hotel management and the need for major renovations classify it as a medium 4* hotel.

We just returned from a one week stay with our 2 kids. Although we paid for a sea view room we were given a side marina view room and when complained at the reception the first morning we were informed that it was a sea view room(if you hang off the balcony gates) and that the hotel was full and they could not change as rooms!

The staff is not trained adequately and have no knowledge of the items on the menu. When we asked whether the burger at the News cafe is spicy the waitress laughed and said of course not, but guess what it was indeed very spicy and fortunately the order was for us and not the kids.
The staff service especially at the News cafe is slow, you might be searching for a waiter for 15mins!!!

The Pefkos restaurant at the sea front is very expensive and the food quality is below average. The beach bar again has very poor staff service, things that run out are not replaced on time (we found unacceptable the fact that for 4 days there was no vanilla ice cream for them to prepare a milk shake!!!!) and the prices are ridiculously high!€5 for frappe, €5 for milk shakes and €4 for fanta! We visited many 5* (well deserved) hotels in Greece and prices were not as high as this.

One day our kid spilled our coffee on the beach towel and when we went to change it the member of staff at the towel's kiosk refused to change it as you are only allowed one towel every day!!He did change it in the end when he saw how furious my husband became but he warned that this was the one and only time he did as such a BIG favor. This kind of attitude certainly does not much a 5* star hotel!

The rooms are spacious, clean and furniture is new and nice. However the fitted carpets need to be removed both from the rooms and from the corridors as they are not clean and they smell. Although we were 4 we were provided with 3 sets of bath towels almost every day and had to call reception for an extra set. The first 3 nights the mattress in the baby cot was bigger than the bed and did not fit properly. Surprisingly enough this was changed without us asking after the 3rd night.

The resorts's own prepared wines are very nice and should be tried as they are sold at reasonable prices.

The breakfast quality is below average and this is due to the mass production needs as it is a very big hotel. Again here when things run out they were not replaced promptly. The coffee pots served at breakfast are either broken or dirty and are in desperate need to be changed.

Overall the sea is extremely nice, we found sun beds easily and we had a good time. However, the price paid for this hotel was way too high for what we received ( for the room type, staff service and breakfast quality).

We would go there again only if the hotel is renovated and staff/management changes!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DespiCos

Dear DespiCos,

Thank you for spending few minutes to write a review of the Meliton hotel in the Trip Advisor website. It is very important for us to have feedback from our guests and we always find it as an opportunity to improve our services.
I am very sorry to know that we didn't manage to fulfill your expectations of a perfect stay in our hotel, despite the fact that Porto Carras is one of the most comprehensive and complete resort in Greece. I would like to assure you that I am taking your opinion into consideration and that all the necessary measures will be taken in order to improve even the last detail possible regarding the hotels facilities and services offered.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was nice, clean and on the beach. However, for a 5* hotel it is not satisfactory at all. After a long journey we arrived at the hotel at 1 am and discovered that there was no baby bed for our 2-year old. We notified reception and they told us that the person responsible had gone home! (What 5* hotel doesn't cater to basic needs 24/7?). So, we had to sleep the baby on the sofa bed and of course, he fell off and cried through the night.

We were on half board and the buffet was big but, again, for a 5* hotel, the quality of the food was not satisfactory. Example: on "Italian night" the only pasta was Napolitana and Bolognese. No lasagna, no risotto etc. I might be slim-picking but you'd expect that from a luxury hotel that charges accordingly.

After having consulted the Hotel Service Booklet in the room, which said that dinner ended at 10pm, we went down at 9.30 only to have the trays taken away from us so no food for us. We complained and the reception lady said: "Oh yes sorry, someone has to change that"!

The hotel will charge you for ANYTHING. There is no free water at dinner (there is some at breakfast) so you have to buy it for 3 EUR. A glass of Coke? 4 EUR. A plate with a piece of fish fillet and 5 pieces of potatoes? 20 EUR. A slice of watermelon? 6 EUR.

There is no free wifi, not even at the lobby! Of course you pay 25 EUR for the week.

All in all, a good, clean hotel on the beach some of the staff (not all of them of course) is at best ineffective

1  Thank Andreas3579
#5 of 9 in Neos Marmaras
Lagomandra Hotel & Spa
Lagomandra Hotel & Spa
#4 of 9 in Neos Marmaras

Been to Porto Carras - Meliton? Share your experiences!