“Top class hotel,the best I have stayed at in Greece”
Review of Eagles Palace

Eagles Palace
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Ouranoupolis
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Have just had two weeks with my wife celebrating our 46th wedding anniversary at the Eagles Palace(23 September to 7 October).We have had holidays in 5 star hotels in the Greek islands(Corfu, Rhodes, Crete and Skiathos) and this was far better than any of them. All the staff were friendly and polite and did everything they could to make our holiday as enjoyable as possible.
I am not a fan of buffet meals but the breakfast and dinner buffets had massive choices of very well prepared dishes, in fact the choices were so extensive they did my waist line no good at all.
The welcome (with the sparkling wine) was very friendly and signing in etc was not a chore. The room was very nice and adequately furnished with a sea view as promised. The weather in the second week was not as expected in fact it was so cold my wife had to buy a fleece but obviously that was not the hotel's fault. They arranged several ad hoc entertainments to help keep the guests happy including wine tastings, ouzo tastings (8 different types) and an informative lecture/tasting on coffee, plus guided tours of all the different room/suite types and film shows (all in English). We were informed that 80% of the rooms/junior suites/ suites were to be refurbished/redesigned between the hotel's closure at the end of October and the reopening next April. My wife and I hope to go back next year to see the results of the refurbishment, that in itself is unusual because we like to visit new locations and in fact have never gone back to a hotel in 46 years of marriage.
As I have said all the staff were friendly (and efficient) but special mention must be made of Olga in guest relations who appeared to be the instigator of the extra events arranged and did everything in her power to make up for the unusually poor weather. In addition manager Christos and bar manager Dimitros made the tastings extremely enjoyable and Christos's knowledge of the wines, ouzo and coffee was amazing.
We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Kamares restaurant and had a first class (Michelin star equivalent) meal in the open air with a fabulous sea view.
Several reviewers have commented that drinks etc were expensive but as far as my wife and I were concerned the prices were what we expected in a 5 star hotel and in some cases much lower than we expected.
The spa facilities were first rate and the stress relieving massage I had certainly lived up to its name.
AS mentioned previously, my wife and I hope to return to this excellent hotel.

3  Thank rodNorthYorkshire
There are newer reviews for Eagles Palace

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This hotel ticked a lot of boxes. The staff were very helpful and sorted out our problem very quickly. We had to move rooms due to an excessive crying baby in the next room - not the baby's fault - the walls were not thick enough. We did really enjoy the location, the water sports on the beach and glorious weather. A buffet style restaurant is not what we expected in a 5 star hotel although another restaurant was available at extra cost.

Room Tip: Just make sure you are not next door to a young child!
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My fourth time to visit Eagles Palace did not disappoint. This time I travelled with my sister (I'm usually with my family). The welcome was so friendly, as usual, and we were made feel very at home immediately on arrival. The hotel is amazingly well designed with different views and aspects in different areas of the hotel. You can never tire of sparkling sea, blue sky and wonderful gardens. The decor is modern but still cosy. Other reviews have complained of the cost of eating here but I disagree - this a five star hotel with five star food and service. Of course food in the local village is less expensive and is worth a visit but the hotel food really is exceptional. The chef is ever present over seeing everything and it certainly shows. The staff are what really make this hotel and in the three years I have visited, the majority of staff have remained the same. A special mention must go to the following: Olga for always having time to help, Nina for her warmth and welcome, Yiannis and Georgina on reception always ready to help, Nikos plus his great team in the Kamares restaurant for their polite and polished service, Stanoudis, Michaelis and Carina for their friendly efficient service at breakfast each morning, Kristina for her amazing massage in the Spa, Despina for her Pilates classes each day and the lads on the beach including Dimitris. Sounds like I have been pampered at Eagles Palace? I certainly have and enjoyed every minute of it. I have no doubt I will stay here again. I can't wait.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter, sea view is a must
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We are always nervous when booking a holiday on the spur of the moment, we like 5 star luxury but have two children under 5 years old so we don't want stuffy staff and child restrictions. This hotel gets 10 out of 10.

We had a bungalow for the week which was perfect in size, the children's arrangements weren't perfect when we arrived but they were changed without fuss. The two bottles of water and the beach towels delivered during the day for the FOLLOWING days beach and pool activities was a fantastic benefit and stress free. The pools were quiet even during the school holiday period with a wonderful view, there were plenty of sunbeds yet you never felt on top of the next people.

The hotel complex has so much space to wonder around, so many places to sit and drink or just relax. The restaurants were very good indeed and the excellent wine list was extremely good value.

Service throughout was first class and very friendly, somehow the manageress managed to remember my name when passing by, how does she do that.

Will we return, yes, do we recommend this for a relaxing week in the sun with a small family, 100%.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnMorgan
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We are just back from a weeks visit to this friendly hotel; they obviously choose their staff with care and it was very much appreciated. As we were staying for a week, this included the transfer from the airport, which was very efficient (it takes about one and a half hours).

The rooms are reasonably sized and clean and there was an evening "turn down" service with chocolates and an itinerary for the following day. Only downside is that the beds are very hard! A softer mattress would make a lot of difference. We had an issue with noise on our first night and they were very quick to move us to a quieter room.

Olga, from guest relations, was particularly very helpful and gave us ideas about what we could see and do in the area. We chose to only have breakfast included, so we had more flexibility. The restaurants are varied and the meals we had at the hotel were delicious and creative. Yes, the prices were expensive but the portion sizes were good. The beach front was well cared for, with a sandy beach although it could be quite rocky to get into the sea. Once in, there was an amazing assortment of fish to be seen - we bought snorkels to make the most of it. There were lots of beach loungers and the option to have beach service from the pool bar was great.

Do not be fooled by online maps making it seem that Ouranoupoli is only a short walk away! We did the walk twice and each time it took approximately an hour - it's about 4km, one way.The walk can be started on the beach but you do have to transfer to a busy road, so it is not for the faint hearted. The hotel provided, at certain times per day, a free transfer bus into Ouranoupoli. This meant that we were able to do a boat cruise along the coastline to Mount Athos, with the hotel transfers included. In the evening, the bus times gave you two hours in which to eat at local restaurants in Ouranoupoli or to wander around the small town. There was also the option to pay for the bus to go at more convenient times. In Ouranoupoli, the Kritikos restaurant was particularly good - very good food and friendly staff, though it does get busy.

Although we were not able to do the kayaking trip over to the islands (it could only be done as a group), we still had a lovely and relaxing holiday.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

It is worth mentioning at the start, that this booking was found through Secret Escapes.com and from the way the information was delivered and its detailed content, I felt that my holiday would be good and not be a disappointment. We were met at the airport by our driver for a private transfer to the hotel, which was a relaxed 100km drive from the airport at Thessaloniki.
On arrival at the hotel we were given complementary drinks while we registered. The room we were given was described as a Superior sea view, which I would suggest was a garden/sea view, and not superior. That said the room was fine and cleaned daily very well, with turn down service as one would expect. The hotel, its facilities and its staff are all 5 star. The public spaces are comfortable with sofas and armchairs arranged to take advantage of the beautiful views. Our late lunch, which we took in the Kamares Restaurant has stunning views out to sea. The food, while simple was excellent, and the service impeccable.
Unfortunately I can only say that the food in the Melathron Restaurant did not measure up to that. It is mass catering, with many mediocre dishes. However within the mass there were little treasures, mainly fish and sea foods, which could be indulged at will. As we had half board, our meals were to be in this restaurant unless we chose to pay at the other restaurants. Again, the staff were friendly and efficient.
Our daily visits to the beach were fabulous, with clean beaches, clean towels and crystal clear sea water. There were no problems with sun loungers, and waiter service was prompt and efficient.
As we were on a relaxing holiday we had lunch at the beachside Armyra restaurant, a few steps away from the sun beds. Here again the menu was simple but delicious and the staff, ever efficient and friendly.
We were greeted by all members of staff whenever we met them from reception, to bar staff, to cleaners and I felt it was genuine. In all a very enjoyable stay, and would visit again.
On closing, be aware that the Greek airports are not efficient and it would seem that having one security baggage check open with a huge line up, is some type of Greek humour, lost on me

2  Thank localboyRomsey
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I've been to a few resorts in Greece: big ones, medium sized ones, from Thessaly to Crete, and this one is the best. The accommodations are great, with full bathrooms and balconies and there are special suites and rooms. The service is outstanding, from front desk to customer services. The food is out of this world, with both Greek specialties as well as cuisine from other parts of the world and the buffet offers something for everyone, from vegetarians to carnivores. The prices are great. I was there in September 2013 for a course and found lots to do outside of class sessions, from water sports to hiking, biking, shopping, and visiting nearby historical sites. And there is a wonderful beach with all beach services provided. The location, just north of Mount Athos in the Halkdiki region makes it a bit out of the way but at the same time, this ensures that the area doesn't seem like a tourist area but "real Greece." And if you are interested in a spiritual outing, you can shop for products from the holy mountain in Ouranoupolis or maybe even a visit to the sacred area, available only to men.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the G level.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mystes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ouranoupolis
Alexandros Palace Hotel
Xenia Ouranopolis
Xenia Ouranopolis
#2 of 10 in Ouranoupolis
Acrotel Athena Pallas Village

Been to Eagles Palace? Share your experiences!