Hotel Ambar Beach
Melia.com
US$151
US$134
  • Pool
Iberostar Playa Gaviotas(Playa de Jandia)
US$273
US$139
US$180
US$160
H10 Tindaya(Costa Calma)
US$192
1,641 results
All reviewsmorro jablesnack baranimation teampastathe air conditioning unitsoft drinkssea viewbus serviceambar beachfood on offerkids poolplenty of sun loungersbuffet stylebad pointspuddingfussy eatersteep walk
Reviewed 25 December 2012

very bad hotel service and localization. the people working in hotel are not sympatic. the food is very bad and the kitchen note cleaning all days. very bad :S. I don t understand why the hotel have 4 star wheb can 2 star. and the buffet closed anytime

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank jose a
Reviewed 5 December 2012

The buildings are nice and clean. The animation program and food are lacking in variety.
After 4 days we got bored of the (typical spanish - oily, salty, fishy and beefy) buffet. Doesn't matter how pretty the complex may seem, the location is one of the worst. Without a rented car, you'll have to pay a lot for transport or just hang around, serve time.
Unfortunately there aren't any interesting places around, which you might be able to reach within walking distance. (Without sweating like a horse and getting sunburned.)
The best part about this hotel is the beach nearby. You'll only reach that beach by taking a walk for roughly 10 min (if you're fit). The way up the hill is more strenuous in the heat.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carolina W
Reviewed 30 November 2012

just got back from ambar beach resort very nice hotel clean staff are very freindly was a bit afraid before i went after reading some of the reviews but no need to worrie it was nothing like what some people have said dont no what they want for there money 10 stars i think the food was great different lunch and dinner everyday although only warm but there is a microwave there if you like your food hot as i do but no hardship my only 2 moans are there are no tea/coffee in your room itsjust nice to get a drink when you 1st wake up but i am a tea bellie and the other moan is the entertainment sorry it was just so rubbish i will go back the staff can not do enough for you 28.11.12

Room Tip: seaview are very good
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2012

It was my first visit to Fuerteventura, as well as the first time I had stayed at an all-inclusive hotel, and on both counts I was very pleased with my choice.

My week at Ambar Beach Hotel was the first of two weeks on the island, the first being in the south and the second in the north. I had specifically chosen the location as I wanted to be close to the beach but away from the busier tourist areas.

On arriving at the airport, I collected my hire car and, not much more than an hour later, I arrived at the hotel. I received a very warm welcome at Reception, checked in, and went to find my room. From Reception, you go down the stairs to the back of the hotel where a path meanders down the slope towards the beach; the accommodation is in blocks on either side of the path. The rooms upstairs have sea views but I was on the ground floor with a garden view.

My room was spacious with twin beds, a sofa, a desk and another small table; there was plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom had a large basin, toilet, and a bath with a shower as well as a walk-in shower. The room was equipped with a television which could be controlled manually or a remote control could be hired from Reception for 10€ deposit. There was a safe for which a code could be purchased from Reception for 2€ per day. The room had air conditioning, a small fridge, and there was a hairdryer in the bathroom. The ‘garden view’ provided a patio with a table, chairs and a clothes-dryer. The room was immaculate and cleaned on five days out of seven.

On entering the room, the key card is used to activate the electrics. Initially this didn’t work as expected so I reported it to Reception. By the time I’d collected my bag from the car and returned to my room, the engineer was there to fix it and a few minutes later it was working properly. I was impressed with the response and generally found the staff to be very helpful throughout my stay.

Having settled into my room, I headed down the slope and five minutes later I was on the beach. To the right, you can walk to Morro Jable in about an hour; to the left you can walk to the magnificent Risco del Paso beach in about an hour, and beyond that to Costa Calma although I didn’t venture quite that far. Risco del Paso is a vast beach with a huge sand bar and a great view from the cliff-top. I walked there but later found I could drive and park the car right by the beach. The coastline is a mixture of sandy beaches and some rocky patches so some footwear is advisable in places but it’s a pleasant walk in both directions and there are a few places to eat and drink along the way. The beach by the hotel is sandy and there are sunbeds and parasols for hire if you don’t want to venture further. At various points there are toilets, showers and changing cubicles. The walk back up to the hotel requires a bit of effort; for me it was five minutes but only about ten at a more leisurely pace.

Hotel meals are all self-service and there’s a wide selection to suit all tastes. When they’re catering for many hundreds of guests I wasn’t expecting ‘haute cuisine’ but I was more than happy with the range and quality of food on offer. For breakfast there was a selection of cereals, fruit juices, cold meats, hot food and pastries; lunch and dinner comprised a range of salads for starters, about a dozen hot dishes for the main course, and various cakes, jellies, ice creams and fruit for dessert. Drinks included wine, beer and soft drinks on tap as well as hot drinks if required. There was always plenty of food, even towards the end of service, and I didn’t find a problem with the food temperature. My only problem, in fact, was the efficiency of the staff in clearing tables as I sometimes found that when I went for the next course, my table had been cleared and someone else had taken my ‘empty’ table! I could have made it more obvious that the table was occupied but I didn’t mind the occasional change of scenery.

The main bar is next to Reception and has a terrace overlooking the pools with a view towards the sea. I discovered that this was a good place to relax with a glass of wine before dinner, on the assumption that many people would head to dinner first; I went down to dinner later, after the initial rush. The bar provides entertainment later in the evening but I usually preferred to relax elsewhere.

The hotel provides a couple of outdoor pools, one with bubble jets, which were an ideal temperature. They were well-maintained and I saw the water being checked on several occasions. Surrounding the pools are sunbeds where many people seemed to spend their days. There is also an indoor pool, gym, games tables and a small shop but I didn’t make use of these. Internet access is provided via wifi and there are some computers, all of which are subject to extra charge.

Away from the hotel, the nearby town of Morro Jable is worth a visit, and if you have a car then I can recommend a drive to the end of the Jandia peninsula where there’s a lighthouse as well as a rocky coastline to explore. The drive takes about an hour along a dirt road beyond Morro Jable but it’s straightforward if you take it steadily and an ordinary car is sufficient. For the more adventurous, I can also recommend the walk to Pico de la Zarza, the highest point on Fuerteventura at 807m above sea level. Start from Morro Jable and follow the well-marked path to the top. It’s a 10 mile round trip with a typical walk time of about 5 hours, although it took me about an hour less including stops. The view at the top is well worth the effort because you have a magnificent view of the Cofete coastline, as well as a view back to Morro Jable. I set off at about 8am so that I completed the climb up before it got too hot as there’s no shade, whereas people I passed on my way down seemed to be struggling with the heat.

I had heard that the Jandia region is German-oriented but I need not have worried as the hotel staff and others around the town all spoke very good English. Maybe it was the time year but while there were a number of Germans, I felt the majority were Spanish and Italian with a handful of British. Hence, language wasn’t a problem although it does no harm to learn a bit of Spanish!

I very much enjoyed my week and I would definitely return to the area and the Ambar Beach Hotel as I’ve realised there’s a lot more to explore.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have garden views although some are next to the path down that meanders between the accommodation blocks. Upstars rooms have sea views. The path slopes down from the hotel towards the beach so those nearer the top means less walking to and from the main building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TheTravellingThinker
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We arrived at hotel @ 1:30am. Greeted by a very friendly receptionist whom we followed to the dining room for an prepared meal of carrot, ham, cheese, bread roll, fruit etc (very much appreciated). Afterwards clear instructions were given on how to get to our room.

Our room was on ground level and the terraced faced a small garden. Later on we went to reception and hired the room safe. Only 2 euro a day and no deposit required as the safes are electronic, so no key to return. The safes are large. The rooms are airconditioned. You cannot set the air temperature but you can adjust the air flow speed. The large patio door has an sensor on it to turn the aircon off if you open it (so you don't damage the air conditioning).

There are plenty of draws, hangers and cupboard space. The mattresses are hard but we slept ok. There is an bath with shower and seperate shower in each room. The fridge is big enough to hold our drinks in. We had fresh towels every other day and they were shaped into various animals by the maids. The rooms are not cleaned on Sundays (day off). We decided to upgrade to the room above as you get an sea view. There was nothing wrong with the room or view we had though, we just preffered to see the sea every day. There was an extra 10 euro a day charge to upgrade the room (very reasonable).

Pool and beach towels are available with an 10 euro deposit and 1 euro to clean/change the towel. You do not need to reserve a sunbed. There was no mad rush to grab sun beds while we were there. Very easy to get one if you wanted, although we were on the beach every day. Sun beds can be rented for your terrace for 2 euro a day each. There is an table and 2 chairs on the terrace already.

Breakfast is from 8am to 10am. There was plenty of seating inside and a few seats outside on a terrace next to the pool, overlooking an volcano and sea view (will never forget that view). We got to breakfast 8am every day and the seats outside got taken up fairly quickly. Huge variety of breakfasts. Bacon was very thin, looked like bacon but neither smelt or tasted like bacon. No sausages but mini hot dogs instead. Four differently cooked eggs. Waffles with chocolate sauce were very nice. Tried cereal once but did not like taste of milk. Toaster was very slow and hit or miss how dark toast came out as guests vary the toaster settings. Overall breakfast was nice.

Lunch is 1pm to 2:30. Lunch was very nice. An large buffet style selection. Food can get cold fairly quickly once you have left the counter but i am a fast eater! We only had luch twice as we were on the beach every day and the walk back in the heat would be too much every day. Instead we made rolls @ our breakfast table everyday and took these with us to the beach as we were not having lunch.

Snacks are from 4pm to 5pm. Cannot comment on these as we never got back in time to try them. Would like to have seen a longer length of time to get snacks (possible all day?).

Pool bar is open from 10am to 6pm. Salon bar open from 6pm to 1am. Coffee is 1 euro. An voucher has to be obtained from the reception first though. The coffee at breakfast is free and very nice ( good selection).

The entertainment for the children at night is virtually the same every night as mentioned in an previous review but the kids did seem to enjoy it. The songs are still going over in my head now aggh! We started to get to the salon bar later so we did not hear the same songs every night. Some of the entertainment was good but a few acts bought in were not so good (a few people got up and left). You queue for drinks at the bar and can take 2 at a time. Drinks in the salon are served in glass and drinks at pool are served in plastic. Drinks in the restaurant are all on tap (self serve) and you just grab a glass off the counter. Tip the beer and wine run out fairly quickly at dinner so get there early. We had coke or orange juice most nights as we got there a bit late.

The spa and gym are spacious and reasonably equipped. Took my gym gear but too warm to work out. The temperature gauges dotted around various roads read between 32 and a whopping 42 degrees during our 2 week stay. It was usually 36 degrees by 10am. There is an squash court, football pitch (on roof), dance studio, table tennis (in basement), pool, jacuzzi, steam room, showers/changing room/ toilets and 2 saunas. Sauna 1 is clearly marked nude (although i did'nt read sign until after i came out in my trunks, oops!), no one was in there though. Sauna 2 is clearly marked not nude. Steam room is also not nude and signs are up clearly saying do not walk around naked.

We never saw anyone around hotel nude as stated in previous reviews and we never saw anyone get too merry or drunk. Everyone just had a very good time there. There were around 6 nationalities staying at the hotel. There were only us and another English couple on our first week there. On the second week, i heard another English couple at breakfast (never saw them again). The rest of the mix was German,Spanish,Italian,French,Polish. Every nationality were very friendly to us and it was very enjoyable not to hear English voices for 2 whole weeks.

There is an bus stop outside the hotel but beware some construction was started on land opposite hotel around 2006 and the footings are fairly deep, you need to negotiate these as the bus stop is the other side. The bus stop to Costa Calma is the other side of the road (with no crossing), costs 2.6 euros each to get there. The bus stop to Morro Jable is just above the footings, right opposite the bus shelter to Costa Calma. The sign has fallen down into the footings though. Costs 1.3 euro to get to Morro Jable each. The buses do get full as they are few and far between. There are various other bus stops about around the island but all have "bus service temporarily suspended" written on them (probably spanish economy).

The receptionist will call you a taxi if you like. They turn up very quickly (no waiting). Costs 7 euros to Morro Jable and 11.25 euros to the port at Morro Jable. The taxi to the airport is 88 euro plus extra to take luggage. Prices are in reception. It is an 2 hour coach journey to Ambar beach from the airport although in reality ours was 5 hours (just don't ask. No fault of the hotel. It was the seperate bus company we booked with). Tip, get the taxi!

The staff make Ambar beach an excellent holiday destination. The receptionists are brilliant (all of them. Very good English spoken and nothing was too difficult for them. The bar staff work so hard. I have never seen drinks poured so quickly and every time with a smile or joke, very impressed (watch out the alcohol is fairly strong, beer was lovely!). The staff in the dining rooms clear the tables amazingly quickly and are very polite and friendly. Saw a few people get told off by the chef though for picking sea food out of prepared dishes, so don't annoy him, (although i found this funny). The pools are cleaned regularly by the staff who discretely work their way round. The gardens are well maintained by the gardeners. The maids keep Ambar beach absolutely spotless. Like a small army, they start at reception every morning, cleaning everywhere, all round the pool and eventually the rooms. The place was spotless, probably why we saw very few cockroaches about, ok we saw 3 but these are probably due to guests leaving food about. There are signs telling us all not to take food/drink to rooms but everyone did. Not forgetting the animation team who clearly work very hard and have to say everything in about 5 languages, good job girls!

The beach can be accessed at the bottom of the hotel premises by your room card. It takes 10 minutes to walk down and about 15 back up. We are in our fourties and are fairly active and found the walk no problem at all. We saw chipmunks, hedgehogs, gekos, canaries, donkeys, goats all along the way. When you get to the beach there are new vandal proof toilet/ open air shower facilities. If you walk right you can sit on sunloungers for 3 euros a day each, although this went up to 4 euros each in the second week. So for 2 sun loungers plus an umbrella it was 12 euro a day in week 2 and you can only use them until 5pm now. Most people are in swimsuits although there are a few nudists about. Walk a little further and there are mainly nudists. If you walk left instead, you will see the water sports centre, just past this is Amelios beach restaurant, very lovely, (i never got tired of asking for 2 big beers!). Walk past Amelios and nearly everyone for quite some distance are nudists.

Departure at Ambar beach is at noon but you can extend your room use for 15 euros.

You have to check out the view from the upper floor of reception, looking out of the huge glass windows across the pools and out to sea, wow!!!

A huge thank you to all the staff working at Ambar beach, you made our holiday very memorable and would definately return!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms just below pool can be looked into from above by pool users.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple