“RETURN-OH YES”

GreenLeadersGold level
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“RETURN-OH YES”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

With 7 A'la Carte retaurants and no line to join to book, it is wonderful. The whole Hotel,staff,food,entertainment,beach, are all spot on, I could not fault anything. I made the mistake of going to the Jolly Beach Resort in Antigua three weeks ago, never again. Seaside Suites in Riveria Mayo, Mexico was good, but the Dreams has the edge I can't praise it enough.

Room Tip: The room we were allocated was fine, no complaints.2nd floor with balcony.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,253)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Painesville, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2012

When we started planning our trip to the Caribbean we had a variety of things to consider. My wife wanted an AI so we could relax, I wanted a place not as commercial as Cancun or Punta Cana, plus we were taking our 2 girls, 7 and 4, and finally, of course price. This place was the perfect combination for us. The grounds were absolutley beautiful and the staff were wonderful. Since we were taking the kids the Explorers Club was important to us and they were amazing! I have to mention Joly and Georgi as being the sweetest girls (the other girls were great too, but we got to know these 2) and our girls loved them and couldn't wait to go to it every day. It freed us up to go snorkeling together, chill on the beach and allowed us some quiet meals at the nicer restaurants.

The beach was beautiful and the water a wonderful shade of blue and calm (again good for kids) and there are a couple of places to snorkel right off the beach, which was really cool. It's adjacent to the public beach and it was an easy walk into the village of Bayahibe for some local flavor.There was, however security there, so no one was allowed onto the Dreams beach unless a guest. For some reason, one day several boatloads of cruise ship passengers invaded the resort. It was like Jersey Shore with a bunch of loud spring breakers there to see how much booze they could swill getting very obnoxious. I have no idea what management is thinking allowing that.

The food was good, but not great. We didn't care much for the buffet but there are other options. The Seaside Grill is good for breakfast and lunch, the burgers by the beach OK (needed more side though) and the pizza by the pool not bad. We liked the ala carte restaurants in the evening, Bordeaux was very good and the Asian place Himitsu was surprisingly good (didn't expect good Asian in the DR).

The daytime entertainment was there if you wanted to participate, however we were there to lay in the sun, swim and snorkel so we didn't do much and they didn't pressure you to do so. The evening entertainment was not that great, but again we didn't go there for that. One of my few complaints is how loud the music was in the evening. I didn't need to hear them lip synching Michael Jackson (or other bad music) at 1000 decibels until 11:00 at night. A good reggae band or some steel drums would have been much more appropriate.

I don't know that we would come back, just because there are a lot of other parts of the Caribbean we want to visit. If we do, we'll wait until the new freeway is completed or fly into La Romana. We knew it was a long trip from Punta Cana to Bayahibe, but it was worse than I expected. I would however reccomend it, especially if you're bringing children. Just know what to expect, beautiful grounds, wonderful staff, great beach with easy access to snorkeling and plentiful, decent (not gourmet) food at a good price.

4 Thank Jason P
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Hola! March 03 to 18/2012! I would like to start by saying that ALL,ALL of the staff are hard working,joyful,proud and genuine people.Reception Desk: Victor Baez- hard working and very helpful.Concierge Desk:Mario and Food Manager: Juan Pierre for making my birthday very special! Lobby Bar:Mary,mi amigo.Beach Bar TEAM:Antonio,Claus,Ariele,Donna,Carolyn,Evelyn.Spa:Jose, Again,Congratulation!You will find Jose dress in white shirt and creme pants going up and down the beach NOT the all creme dress people that are standing around all over.Gri-Gri divers/water sports Ricki look for him around beach bar area for tours and ask him aout AQUANAUTUS or take a 3-5 min walk down beach and visit Gri-Gri for yourself and see video for Aquanautus ask for our very dear friend Pedro!Entertainment TEAM:Pablo Picasso,Carmello,Eddie Murphy,Andy,Coca-Cola,James Bond,Yonilka and the rest of the TEAM!!!Wedding CoordinatorTEAM:JennyGoicechea/Yanna Guzman put your trust in them!Being our 4th time at DREAMS we have seen alot of weddings but this time we got to experience one and has my son says Magical!! THANK YOU ALLLL! for making it another EXCELLENTE! Experience!!!

Havant, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have just returned from a week at this resort, in our group was my wife Hazel, our two boys aged 8 and 5 and myself. We have travelled extensively as a family and have been lucky enough to have at least one sometimes two exotic holidays a year together, so we consider ourselves quite well travelled and able to give an experienced review.

I can honestly say that the Dreams La Romana is by far one of the nicest resorts in every way we have ever visited. The whole experience was a delight made perfect by the ever helpful and pleasant staff.

The resort is maintained to the highest standards and the grounds, beach and pools are all immaculately cleaned.

The food choices are superb with choices for all tastes, but could do a little more for younger guests.

The entertainment tem top off a wonderful resort and all do so much to ensure the guests are kept happy, even if you don't want to join in they respect your space.

Overall a top resort, we have never returned to a hotel or destination we have ever visited, but have agreed Dreams La Romana is a place we will go back to.

A special thank you goes out to Alex "Capachinlo" one of the entertainment team, just a great person with time for everyone.

Thanks to you all.

Room Tip: Take a mask and snorkel for the sea as you can get them from the resort free to hire, but limited ti...
3 Thank Neil_and_Hazel
Abergele, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We honeymooned at Dreams La Roma for 2 weeks in August/September, and it was pure relaxation! Bliss! My husband had surprised me by booking us into the preferred club - and I'm really glad that he did if only for the use of the separate pool as the activities and noise at the main pool and beach just aren't our cup of tea and not what we want from a honeymoon.

Arrival - Glass of bubbly and wet flannels on arrival and an extremely quick check in - in our room after 10 minutes of arrival. Bottle of bubbly and a plate of fruit in our room waiting for us.

Room - Lovely room. Comfortable bed, lovely bathroom and amenities. Nice décor. Fantastic air con. Safety deposit box which you can choose the password. Fridge stocked with beer, coke, sprite, fanta and water and is refilled daily. Laundry service - we used to clean a few items before coming home. Very fast service. Daily newsletter which explains the activities planned for the following day and which restaurants are open and the cocktail of the day!. Our room overlooked the preferred pool.

Food and drink - We really enjoyed the food at the restaurant - it was much better than we had expected. Our favourite was La Patio Mexican, and we liked having lunch at the Seaside grill. We enjoyed the food at all the restaurants we visited (the only one we didn't go to was the Jungle). The breakfast at the buffet was really good and plenty of choice. We had Champagne breakfast in bed on one occasion which was a lovely treat. We ordered room service on a couple of occasions - on one occasion the food was cold.
We liked visiting the coffee shop to take a break from the heat.

Staff - The staff at the hotel work extremely hard and we always had excellent service. We arrived just after Hurricane Irene had visited and the beach was closed while the staff worked on getting back up to scratch - cleaning etc. The hotel is very clean, there are always people cleaning and the staff are always friendly and happy to help. The bar staff were excellent, and we enjoyed the waiter service at the beach.

Pool - We only used the preferred pool, but it was a very relaxing area. I'm very fair so shade is important to me and we had no problems getting an umbrella. The waiter service at the pool was a nice touch.

Preferred club area- We liked the snacks and enjoyed drinks at the preferred area. We had breakfast here on a few occasions if we didn't fancy a big breakfast. We also enjoyed the games they supplied. It was nice being able to use the internet for free although it was temperamental.

Trips - We only went on one trip as we found them to be quite expensive. We went to Santa Domingo. I'm glad we went, it's not one of my favourite cities but it was nice to get out of the resort 'bubble' for a day.

Hotel location - although i had a fantastic relaxing honeymoon I found that after a week I was itching to get out of the resort. This was the first resort type holiday that we have been on so wasn't sure if we'd enjoy it.

Spa - we had a full body massage. Not the best I've experienced but was still very relaxing.

All in all we had a fantastic time and the hotel is and staff were excellent. The weather when we arrived was a little overcast which I really liked as it wasn't scorching. As the week progressed it got a lot hotter!! We saw a couple of storms, quite impressive and a few rain showers that never lasted long and were quite refreshing. A couple we met said that during hurricane Irene they had a few days of non stop rain so we were lucky to have missed that.

Great hotel perfect for a honeymoon - but push the boat out and book the preferred club!!

Room Tip: preferred club!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Curly82
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

There are a lot of very critical reviews on trip advisor about this hotel, but hey you cant please everyone!!The hotel is often described as a 5* but it is more like a 4* and this is reflected in the price. Me & my boyfriend stayed here in september 2010 for 2 weeks and absolutely loved it, so much that were going again in august 2012!!
The hotel is about an hour n half from punta cana airport which is a great drive as you get to see the real dom rep, not just the all inclusive resorts. But there is a airport in la romana for those who arnt bothered. We arrived at the hotel and were really impressed everything was modern decor, light and open. Check in was super quick - we were in our room within 20 mins of arriving. We were really happy with the bedroom (we stayed in one of the renovated blocks) the decor was lovely, spacious rooms, lovely bathroom etc etc cant fault the room. A nice touch is that daily you get a news letter with weather forecast, activities, restaurants open etc which was a great.
The hotel itself is really clean, big and well maintained. All pool areas are clean and have really comfy sun loungers and plenty of them!!the grounds have beautiful plants and flamingos etc making it a really pretty resort. All the restaurants were beautiful and the food we ate whilst there was all gorgeous (no sickness) , you must try the la romana fish fingers from the seaside grill!we always ate at the restaurants rather than the buffet for main meals although the buffet is excellent. even the room service is great and quick.The drinks are great all brand drinks and they are never shy on the measures - malibu cocktail is the best. Staff at the hotel were always helpful and made sure you were always having a good time both day and night whether thats aqua aerobics or shotting mamajuana :). The beach isnt huge but a beach is a beach and its a beautiful one at that.
Overall this is one of the nicest hotel i have been to and we had a great time (hence going back) and i would advise and reccomend anyone to go.

Room Tip: Pick one of the rennovated rooms
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Gemma C
Westwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We just returned from one of the most relaxing vacations we've ever taken (and we travel a lot!). Spent a week at Dreams La Romana with my husband, two children under 6 and my parents. I was immediately impressed by the warm welcome at the resort, friendliness of the staff and the quick check-in. The reason for the family vacation was to celebrate my mother's 65th birthday and I mentioned this to the reservations manager when I called to confirm my vacation plans. I was so pleasantly suprised to find that my parents' hotel room was decorated with dozens of balloons and a "happy bday" banner on the door --- what a nice welcome!! Thank you, Federico!!

The rooms were nice, the beach beautiful, the pools clean and very well serviced, the grounds immaculate! We tried ALL 7 restaurants and had a pleasant experience in all of them. Each restaurant is uniquely decorated to match the cuisine is represents, the menu is varied and the food great! It was nice to have such a variety of dining choices every night with no wait and no need for reservations.

The best part about the resort, though, was the Kids' Club! I don't have enough words to thank all the amazing ladies working at the Explorer Club (Joly, Yaya and Clary) for the great care they took of my two boys! They had an amazing time, filled with a lot of fun activities (cooking lessons, tennis lessons, movie nights, camping on the beach, etc...) and we got to relax knowing they were in great, capable hands.

The resort activities were also quite diverse and readily available, the nightly entertainment excellent, the water sports on premises many to choose from.

We honestly have no complain about this resort, other that it was a bit far from Punta Cana, where we landed. Yet from what we gathered, there's a new highway under construction, which should be ready by this summer and that might make the airport transfers much quicker and more direct. That, in itself, will ensure our return to this resort!

6 Thank Ralu_Minea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#13 of 112 in Punta Cana
Now Larimar Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!