“Lovely resort, lovely staff, wonderful place”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed in This hotel January 2012, it was a long flight from London due to the plane having to land in the Azzores to drop off a disturbing passanger. So with delayed flight into punta cana and the 1.5 hour drive to the hotel it was after 1 am when we checked in, overtired and overheated,. The reception staff were excellent, and all went very smoothly. Our room was a little small for a family of four and we decided to wait until morning to sort it out.
We contacted reception early the next morning and Mr EVO, was so helpfull and nice, he organised a lovey room for us just beside the infinity pool, it was actually two interconnecting rooms but it shared a balcony so it was perfect for our family. From that moment on we were very happy.
The food is good, service was good, and the over all apperance was excellent.
The beach is not man made, as I had seen here on the TA reviews, it is coral that is under the sand that sometimes comes through, this is to be expected. The Privilaged club does seem to have a little man made beach because it is at the rocky part of the resort. Most people seem to collect near to the barefoot grill, and that part of the beach is usually fairly crowded, ( it seems alot of people are afraid of walking) If you go to the beach down by the fruit boat and further down it is less busy, and this is where we liked to sit.
The pools are all lovely, we liked the main pool, because sometimes the infinity pool got very noisy with large groups there together and the swim up bar , so we rathered the quieter atmosphere at the main pool.
Some people will reserve beds at the poolside, there is no need to do this as there are plenty of pool beds, . The hot tub is lovely too, altough again some people would get in and just not get out for the day,.
The entertainment is quite good, we didn't go very often as our little girls would be very tired after spending the day swimming , playing and going to the kids club which is excellent, they wanted to stay in the kids club all day everyday however we insisted they only got a few hours there as we wanted to spend some time with them. In the evening they adored the movies on the beach and would have us rushing around getting them ready so they wouldn't be late,. This gave us a great chance to go have dinner in one of the many resturaunts. I loved the seaside resturaunt, some complain service is slow, but really why are people rushing in a place like this?.
All in all I would reccomend this hotel , you get great value, as it isn't an expensive hotel, and if you hire a car and have a tour around the area it is a wonderfull base. I would also reccomend taking a walk down along the beach to see the village of romana, not a very pretty village, but there are some lovely spots to have a beer and enjoy the atmosphere. We also booked a local guy to take us to sanoa Island, he brought a bbq, and took us to a part of the island away from the other tourists, so it felt like paradise all to ourselves. ( huge area of beach with only four others there it was bliss)

Room Tip: Try and avoid the ground floor rooms as these have a very small balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Biddypat
Write a ReviewReviews (11,929)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We went to Dreams last year & mainly due to the Explorer kids club & lovely comfortable beds we decided to brave the flight again with our 4 yr old and go again, we wished we hadnt bothered. not that the hotel is awful, it isnt, it just isnt our cup of tea
i will list things as i think of them as i dont have much time (due to 4 yr old ;) )

Rooms....our biggest complaint was about these. We upgraded to prefered and a garden view suite. We had a problem last year with the same, noisy rooms. Being put in front of the infinity pool...which had an amazing view but i specifically asked if it would be noisy as it was overlooking the pool bar and was assured that it wouldnt. my daughter was 3 at the time and still having a sleep in the afternoon. It was a problem, a big problem (see my other review).
so this year they showed us a block over from that one. We figured it would be far enough away to not have the same problem, we didnt have the same prob we had a different one. The restaurant in front of our room holds wedding receptions. Despite asking if this room was a quiet one we were not told about this. And despite standing there with a 4 year old child who would clearly need to be in bed early.
To be fair, if we were still a couple it would probably not have been a problem, the reception finished at around 11pm, people had dispersed completely by 11.30pm, but considering we were going to be up at 6am with our little girl we were not pleased. We asked to be moved.

The thing that made me really cross was that when we went to preferred to ask to be moved there was no apology. Moving rooms takes a while, packing everything up again. you have to look at your watch all day to remember the time they say that you can move, then when you go to move they say the room is not ready and that the couple in the room have decided to stay another night! So we have to live out of a suitcase for a night. Then the next day we clock watch again and eventually they say the room is ready. despite our old room being right across the other side of the hotel they insist that he must go across and identify his luggage, in our locked hotel room, rather than just do it so it is not inconvenient to us further, presumably so that the bell boy can collect his tip ggrrr! he didnt get one
Once in our new room, above the preferred lounge, we didnt want to unpack straight away in case this room was noisy too. after all, if they think a room positioned next to an area where they hold a wedding reception is quiet they clearly dont think along the same lines of what 'quiet' actually means. we came across another couple who we had made friends with and without us saying anything about where we had been they said they walked past the room and mentioned how glad they were that they were not in that room...i said that was our room, preferred think its quiet! Maybe they all have a hearing problem there.

The food,
i will start by saying i am vegetarian and used to not having much choice. But this was a new low. i had a roast dinner when i got home and nearly made myself sick from eating it so fast it was so tasty after 2 weeks at Dreams. My husband is a meat eater and agreed. The problem for us was that it was pretty much the same food every night. No chips, i think we saw them once or twice for the whole visit. not that i live on chips but it is a varient. i had a salad roll for lunch every day and pizza in the evening, pigeon stew seemed to be on every night if you like that. my husband said the food was very bland and repetitive. the last time i had food like this was cuba. They do have fruit and veg, and the soups seemed to be the best they had. The mexican we didnt go to as they had nothing vegetarian at all. the italian the service is very stuck up for service which amounts to what you get in mcdonalds. they had limited vegetarian again so i asked for a starter as a main course. after waiting for an hour i got a starter, wouldnt feed a mouse - i laughed it was so funny i mean - really.... are you serious?! despite asking for colouring pens and a sheet of paper the woman said that they dont have them anymore (they did last year) funny that - as when we went to another restaurant we were given them. Again i reiterate about the lousy staff.

The world cafe...had to wait an hour for our food again, so bored with this theme. chips (hurrah we found them) were cold & similar to mcdonalds. setting is lovely here tho, the only reason we would go

The beach.... this year - MILLIONS of sunbeds, i mean how many do you really need on the beach? no-one on them - just gives a feeling of a smaller beach and more people than were actually there.

The infinity pool, beachside service....oh i wish id got his name! i was standing in a q of people all waiting for dilly daydream to fill the waitresses order so we could get ours. eventually he does. when he gets round to me he takes the order for the drinks, does 2 of them in record slow time, during which i am reading the entertainment itinerary sheet and realising its old so i fold it up and tuck it under something on the bar. he brings 2 of my drinks back, picks it up and starts to read it, he must have had 6 people looking at him rolling their eyes thinking what IS HE DOING? so i say in a firm voice to him 'AND A DIET COKE PLEASE?' (ffs get on with it) to which he looks at me like what is your problem

The beach toilets, women - there are 2, if one gets blocked or dirty only one left for the whole beach. if you are up the mexican end of the beach use the mexican restaurant toilets they are better and no queues.

Drunks....even the prefered pool this year had loud drunk people at the weekend.

this hotel is trying to please everyone and failing. it says that it is a spa hotel and yet at times has far from a relaxing feel to it. the best time for this is the week. but by the weekend the feel of the place completely changes, it becomes more like a singles place with drunks being helped up the corridors at 5pm while i am walking along with my little girl. More like my magaluf holiday when i was younger.
im sorry but i dont feel this is appropriate for what they call a family hotel more like /spa/wedding/ singles/conventions with groups of colleagues out to get drunk on a weekend away/locals weekend breaks......these things just dont mix. what family wants their child around drunk adults? i think it is why there is such a difference in the reviews on here. you may well go and wonder what im going on about as its a beautiful hotel but its just one complaint after another grinds you down in the end...
oh forgot to mention the variations in the prices of the spa ladies braiding hair at the beach. The prices varied from day to day. Eventually i got cross and demanded to know why i had been charged more than i had been quoted on other days for a single braid for my daughter and i. she took me to the spa and refunded it, but on the way told me there was no need to get cross, i said well ive been 3 times and each time been charged a different amount, wouldnt you get cross?

she also told me 38 dollars for a full head (thinking that was what i was asking for initially) i said no, but then another family had their daughters hair done (8 yrs old) paying out of her own pocket money, she came back and told us they had charged her 49 dollars. they make it up as they go along.
Well thats it thats all ive got this time, we wont go again as this is not a family hotel.....

but funnily enough - They have the most amazing Explorers club, with fantastic staff, particulary Joly, Clary & Geraldine.......what a shame they are wasted here....they were outstanding. The entertainment staff were also fantastic....i feel sad that they are so badly let down by the hotels faults.

Room Tip: all of the restaurants have wedding receptions we said we would consider a room at the back of the b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank rcmt76
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We decided for our honeymoon, of which we had saved for 2 years after our wedding to go on, we wanted the holiday of a lifetime....and we got our wish!
As we walked in we were welcomed by well dressed and friendly staff. Never have we stayed in a 5* hotel, let alone all inclusive. The room had been decorated specially for our honeymoon, which was a welcome surprise after the long journey. The views from our partial sea view room were beautiful over looking the infinity pool and beach. Just as we had requested.
The resteraunts were amazing, the world cafe being a favourite purely for the variety. No matter what type of food you fancied it was there. Saturday nights with the Gala Buffet was incredible, the amount of deserts on display were phenominal. However we did try the other resteraunts and they were all fantastic, it was nice that some of them had more of a dress code, for that special occasion (in our case our honeymoon and valentines day). The seaside grill was amazing for having a romantic meal at sunset. The food was fantastic no matter which resteraunt, and all the staff were incredibly friendly and kind.
The managers cocktail parties on the pier were fun and meant you got to mix with so many people which was nice.
Lazying on the beach each day was great Dora was always there to get you a drink whenever you fancied it and you could just sit back and relax.
The entertainment team were great and although we didn't always take part they were fantastic and again always very friendly and would stop for a chat.
Overall this truley is a fantastic place to stay, and deserves its rating. We were so happy to have chosen Dreams for our honeymoon. There is so much to say that I would recommend you get yourselves there to experience it yourselves!!!! :)

One small down side was people trying to sell us trips/spa treatments we didn't want but as soon as you have told them no, they tend to leave you alone which was good. I wouldn't let this put you off!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor will be quieter for you!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank steff1_2
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just got back from 10days here and it was totally amazing could not ask for more. The entertainment team made us feel welcome from our first night there and felt totally safe and welcome. The food was lovely especially the French resturant was amazing. The staff at breakfast want to help with your every need my coffee cup was never empty. the night time entertainment was just wonderfull the dancers are great and no matter how tired will come to the disco and still keep going to make sure your happy. I can not fault this hotel at all and we are already looking in to going back :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Happy27-12
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This was my first ever all inclusive vacation and it was a great first impression.I am 30 years old and my wife is 28. I planned this trip mainly based on reviews on trip advisor and I am glad I chose Dreams. The instant you wall into the lobby it seems everyone is there to make you happy. You are greeted with a glass of champagne and for us a very quick check in. I put in a room request via facebook and all requests that I had were fulfilled.

I stayed in building 4 garden side based on reviews that the pool side may be noisy. This room was perfect since it it was centrally located and it was a quick walk to everything from there.
The room was very clean and the maids kept it very clean during the week. Room was cleaned in the morning then a turn down service in the evening and sometimes we were brought gifts like small statues and 2 bags of coffee wrapped up as a gift. Plenty of hot water for showers and the AC worked great. I stayed on the 3rd floor so I guess my only room complaint if you can call it that is that the balcony are very small.

I am a beach person so I never was at the pools but they did seem very nice with a good amount of loungers around them
The beach is a smaller one and a few areas are not sand with a rocky shoreline but it was all sand in the water. The sand was nice and soft. Like in other reviews it does seem like the area about 30ft from the water is just concrete with a small layer of sand on top but was not a big deal for me. The water is very clean and very clear. If you enjoy snorkeling head over to the small reef on the right side of the pier. There is plenty of shade and plenty of loungers for everyone.
Overall the grounds were kept very nice. Always work being done to keep everything trimmed and looking its best.

Food at the buffet is your average buffet food and shouldn't expect much more than that. Only ate dinner there once, had lunch once and breakfast a few times there. Breakfast at the buffet was to me above average.

Seaside Grill : we ate lunch here one day and dinner another. Dinner was very good and the portions are very nice for an all inclusive. Lunch was excellent and it was nice to sit at the deck overlooking the water while having lunch. This is the only sit down option for lunch at the resort so if you not into buffets then its really your only choice besides the Barefoot Grill but they only server hamburgers and hot dogs with rice there everyday.

This by far was my favorite choice, ate there 2 times during our stay. Very nice decor and was an air conditioned restaurant.

Ate here once and was very pleased with the food. This also has very nice decor and was air conditioned.

Was definitely the most unique restaurant. You eat outdoors in a small little jungle setting. We ate here our last night and they gave us a nice table up in a little tree stand. It is more of the Dominican style food but was pretty good.

Pizza/Ice Cream
Pizza is not that great at the little pizza hut at the main pool. They don't use much cheese at all but was still edible. Ice cream was very good soft server at the main pool bar.

There were 3 other choices, Patio(Mexican), Himitsu(Japanes/Chinese) and Oceana(seafood) that we did not eat at so not much for me to say about them.

Room Service:
We did decide to do room service 2 times. Once for dinner were we felt like relaxing and once for lunch right before we checked out. Both times they told us 35 minutes and it only took about 20minutes. Food was ok, pretty much your basic food like chicken fingers and some sandwiches/hamburger.

We did a 50 minute Swedish massage and it was fantastic. We were given some resort credits upon check-in and pretty much got them half off. The spa is very nice and the staff inside was great also.

Daytime activities are endless. The nice thing I liked was they did a little bit of something for everyone. From dancing to aerobic, beach volleyball and some random games. They would start at about 9am and go until noon. Would take a break and start back up at about 3pm until 5-6. I personally just like to relax and the beach and was hoping they would not hassle you to participate. They do ask but do not hound you to do so. Once you say no about 2 times they remember you and dont ask anymore. They do give you "funny money" to participate and they have auctions to use that money to buy things like 2 times a week.
Evening activities/shows was nothing really impressive. They do have something every night but some shows are very lacking and we didn't stay long. We did enjoy the dance show were they dress in tribal outfit, the circus was very good, its similar to cirque du soleil shows but no were near the quality but still entertaining.

They are all so nice. Not one time did someone act mad or ignorant at any request. There answer is always "it is my pleasure". I read so many reviews from other resorts while researching and often found that the staff was not friendly. If you enjoy being around pleasant people with a smile this is the place for you. You see people mention names of staff members alot in reviews and I know that some feel they are fake because of that. I always questioned it myself but after meeting the staff here and seeing how nice they are you would understand once you visit. They really do try to make friends with you and like to have a conversation with people. The language barrier was not too bad. A few employees were lacking understanding of english but nothing that caused any major issues.

Apple Vacations:
If you book through apple vacations for Dreams they seem to give you a little extra since the same company owns them. You are given a robe and slippers that are normally only given to proffered guest. You are also given beach towels in your room and dont need to go to the towel hut if you dont want too. There are no reservations at restaurants but if you visit you apple rep they will have you a table ready for whatever time you want. This comes in handy at certain times so you dont have to wait 30min to an hour to get a table.

Time Share/ Souvenir Sales People:
We were not hassled by anyone to buy into there Vacation Club. We were asked once by a rep when we went to receive our resort credits and I said no thanks that I would never be interested. She said ok and if we changed our mind to visit them in the lobby.
They do let vendors in around the main pool 2 days a week. If you are not into bargaining or a hard sale I recommend you stay clear of this area from about 5pm to 10pm. You can get some really good deals if you are willing to bargain with them. If you dont like it just keep walking, dont stop or they will start by giving you a free gift and then the sales pitch starts. Most say offer 1/3 of what they want but I was offering 1/5 and they were going for it.
There are some small shopping shacks on teh public beach also next to the dive shop. It is the same way. They all sit on the border of the resort and are just waiting for you to cross the line to shop. They will also be very aggressive but I found them to be all very friendly. If you do get sucked into one of there sales pitch just tell them your best offer is 2 dollars and insist on it. They will then leave you alone and try to grab the next person.

All the bartenders were great, some more entertaining then others but drinks were made very well. If you dont like alot of liquor be sure to tell them to take it easy because they were making them very strong. You can also request top shelf liquor, but if you dont say it they will use the cheap stuff.

Nothing that would prevent me from visiting again but its more of a suggestion than anything.
The fact that the Barefoot Grill on the beach only servers hot dogs and hamburgers with rice every single day and has no variety.
I think they could do better on the night time entertainment. Some shows were lacking and we found ourselves bored at 9-10 at night.
Drink service inside the casino was terrible, I saw a waitress a few times but was never offered a drink.
The photo booth near the main pool is way overpriced. We were given a free coupon for a 4x6 picture so we figured we would go for it. They said ok but they will do a 30minute photo session around the resort then if we liked more we could buy some. The photos were ok but we really only like 5 of them. The cost to get them on a cd was $70 which was a rip off if you ask me. Was also offered the have all photos he took for $500.

Overall I would highly recommend this resort. I will definitely go back!!!!!

Room Tip: Building 4 Garden side, centrally located and new renovated rooms. 3rd floor has vaulted ceilings.
11  Thank boog22
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The love of my life was the trip planner for this get-a-way and I was so surprised upon arrival! Our stay was magnificent! We stayed in the preferred club and our room was partial ocean view, which was nothing less then gorgeous. Upon arrival our luggage was taken and 2 glasses of champagne were poured for us while we checked in. Mary checked us in at the Preferred Club office and she was so helpful and friendly during our entire stay. Calixte and Francisco were also so kind and helpful during our great stay! We enjoyed a day at the spa, a romantic dinner for two on the beach and much more! The romance, family fun and more is all within Dreams La Romana! Everything is gorgeous from top to bottom! It was so romantic and welcoming. I can honestly say this resort in one of the Top 5 Best Resorts I have travelled to!

4  Thank Kristi P
Reviewed 17 May 2012

There is not one thing that I could fault about this hotel - the staff are all really friendly especially Alexis, Pepe, Kenya Elizabeth and all at the swim up bar. Food is lovely - lots to choose from at the buffet and the restaurants are lovely too (The only one we didn't try is the jungle) Rooms are nice, clean and spacious, nice bathroom and balcony. Ipod docking station and DVD in the room which is a nice touch.

The Entertainment wasn't bad - there was always something going on.
Named drinks in the lobby bar (You have to actually ask for them or you will get the local brand) Cocktails are fabulous - my personal favourite is the Sammy Sosa and the dirty Banana!
Only downside is its a 90min transfer from the airport!

All in all an amazing hotel - we will defiantly be back!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#13 of 16 in Bayahibe
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!