“Excellente... as they would say :D”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Essex
“Excellente... as they would say :D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

On arrival we were greeted with champagne and our luggage was taken by one of the bell boys, we checked in and were shown to our room. As soon as we entered the dominican republic all we saw was happy smiling faces, the receptionist were lovely and friendly.
We were a bit worried after reading some negative trip advisor reviews but honestly there is nothing to worry about as the hotel is amazing and the grounds are very well kept and maintained.

The cleaners were brilliant they kept the room tidy everyday, they even lined our shoes up in a row and folded our t shirts we left on the bed all nicely for us. we went down to the beach bar who we met a fantastic guy called Alexis who is absolutely funny he does a good donkey impression and he does tricks with the drinks before he serves it to you hes a good laugh during the day. For the entertainment team i cant thank enough at how good these guys are at thier job. there is never a day that goes by were something is not happening. There is loads of activities to take part in during the day and evening. If you like to take part its good because you can take part in the auctions on Monday, Wednesday & Friday to win prizes with the funny money they give you.
You can win bottles of rum (Brugal) champagne, t shirts, caps, and santo domingo coffee great presents to bring back home. La Foca, Caramelo, Picasso, J bond, Eddy Murphy and Coca Cola are all so friendly and funny these guys made our holiday and we really miss them alot i can not thank them enough for making our holiday a little bit more special.

we never got bored of the food as there were many restaurants to choose from with us being fussy eaters there was plenty to choose from. our favourites were the Himitsu (japanese) Sea side grill for both lunch and dinner, the El Patio (mexican) portofino (italian) and the jungla Restaurant (dominican food)
for breakfast we ate at the world cafe, so much choice and the omlettes are so good. We went to the buffet (world cafe) for dinner 2 times it was good but we much prefer a sit down meal rather than helping ourselves, main reason as you can over eat.
As for room service is fantastic, good choice on the menu and the chicken fingers and chicken burger are amazing. I would advise given a small tip as they work around the clock and a small tip to any of the staff goes a long long way as they really appreciate it and they dont get paid alot. Also if you tip they remember and give you a fantastic service.

Our room we was given when we stayed was in block two on the third floor. The best choice of rooms in the hotel is either in the middle or up top as they are in a quite location. Thr only downside about the hotel is the walls are paper thin and can hear everything your neighbours do, we had two really bad neighbours next door the first week we had a arguementative couple but they never woke us up, on the second week we had a foriegn couple that liked to play musical chairs at 6am and also a screaming child who woke us up on our last 2 to 3 nights at ridiculous hours of the morning. If this ever happens to you ring up the Concierge and they will sort out the problem for you as with what we did.
Also the rooms are very clean, i wouldn't bother upgrading to preffered club as the rooms are not worth it you dont get much extra apart from free WI FI and a yellow towel. But i would recommend upgrading to a junior suite we saw our friends its lovely its like a mini apartment with two bathrooms a bath jacuzzi, walk in shower and a lovely lounge area, they start at $200 Per night but you can haggle them down to around $110 as i tryed. But the standard rooms are perfect as all you do is technically sleep in there and the beds are really comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone we miss it soo much we are planning to go back next year.

Room Tip: Try and choose a room on the 2nd floor or third as they are more quiter and preferebly in the middle...
5 Thank nismojames

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,156)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon at Dreams La Romana. The hotel is fantastic made so by the wonderful staff that are all so friendly and really cannot do enough for you. There is a great choice of restaurants and the food in all of them is to a good standard.
We opted for a nice quiet break but there is loads to do if you want to keep occupied with beach games, dancing classes,volleyball, water polo etc and the entertainments team again work so hard and are so friendly. Our favourites were James Bond, Cappucino and Eddy Murphy.
We would go here again and can't recommend this hotel enough!

1 Thank Paul E
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a 2-week holiday at Dreams La Romana, booked through Thomas Cook. The hotel was lovely: it looked and felt expensive, particularly in the lobby and bar area. The gardens are beautiful and green, and the rooms are comfortable - especially the massive king-sized bed - we slept like logs! I have been on other all-inclusive holidays, and the food has usually been of average quality - however, at Dreams La Romana, there are, I think, 7 a La Carte restaurants, where you don't have to book, and you can go as often as you like! I thought this was brilliant - and the food at these restaurants was amazing - I highly recommend the tenderloin steak! The staff were mostly attentive and polite (think we caught a couple of the bar staff on a bad day maybe!) and there were a lot of activities going on throughout the day if you get bored of lying on the white-sand beach or by the gorgeous infinity pool. If you go, look out for "Hello my people" man - who will try and encourage you into all sorts of adventures! The coffee bar was good for getting out of the sun/rain for a while. We also went to the spa for a couples massage which was lovely and relaxing - the staff there were fantastic, and you can negotiate all sorts of deals! As for the evening entertainment, we only saw some of the shows - but the circus show was the best. They also have films playing on big screens, and entertainment throughout the day as well. All in all, we had a fantastic first holiday together here at Dreams La Romana, and we would both go back in a heartbeat. The only problem we had was that we took $ travellers cheques - and in order to get them changed into actual $s at the hotel's bureau de change, they had to be changed into Pesos first, then into dollars - thus we would have to pay 2 charges for 2 transactions. For $200 of cheques, we would only have got $155... Fortunately our holiday rep sorted us out. So don't take travellers cheques unless you want a lot of your hard earned money disappearing in bureau charges!

1 Thank monkeysocks1985
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I recently visited Dreams La Romana for my wedding. My wife took care of all of the details for our family and friends, which turned out to be about 50 total guests. From the moment we arrived at the resort we were promptly greeted by the welcome team and escorted to our rooms. The hotel wedding planners took care of everything up to and including the night of our wedding. Thank you Jenny !!! My wife and I always dreamed of a destination wedding and after planning it for a year, I can not express how happy we were with our choice to use Dreams La Romana. The staff is amazing and attentive, they do not hold back on the drinks, which was a huge plus for some of our guests, and the . The World Cafe has everything you need for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some of the restaurants are good but we did not visit all of them. Our package with the hotel included a spa day, and an amazing romantic dinner by the water front (FYI - best Lobster Ever!!!). The club had a great choice of music and the decor was very chic and trendy. The casino could use an expansion, along with a service training for their tea., but otherwise the rest of the hotel staff was AMAZING!

Overall this hotels name describes what they do perfectly. The made our dream a reality and if you are looking for a destination wedding location, this is the place to be.

Thank you Dreams La Romana for making our wedding weekend a huge success and the talk of our friends and family.

Room Tip: Some of the restaurants could use some improvements on the menu, but world cafe is great !
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank candleTS
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We travelled to Dreams as a couple and stayed between 10 -24 May and had a wonderful stay. Firstly I’ll get the negative out of the way and the reason this is a 4 star review and not a 5 star and that is the room. At best the room we had was more fitting to a 3 star resort and in hindsight we maybe should have asked for a change of rooms. The main issue was exposed live electrics that took more than a day to fix and the noise of the A/C that sounded like it had seen better days. Additionally the room despite being one of the renovated rooms looked tired with cracked tiles, broken wardrobe and rusty bathroom fittings. I would also recommend that if you do like to get an early night then it is best to avoid block 5 facing the main pool as the entertainment that runs several nights a week can be intrusive but this wasn’t a problem for us. I’d also add that the Unlimited Vacations staff can be mildly annoying but most will accept it if you politely say you aren’t interested except for the one persistent one who followed me several hundred metres back to my room block telling me I was crazy for not wanting to take him up on his Spa discount he was offering and just wouldn’t take no for an answer.

On arrival at Dreams we were met with sparkling wine and were in our room within 5 minutes of entering the complex and our bags arrived minutes later.

We spent our days lazing round the main pool where we had no problem finding sun loungers and shade no matter what time of day we arrived. The pool bar was great and all the girls that work there always greeted you each morning. I spent many an hour in the hot tub at the main pool and there is no better way to spend the evening than relaxing with a drink in there as the sun goes down. The beach is narrow but plenty big enough for the resort with more sun loungers than I have ever seen in my life. One disappointment for me was the quality of snorkelling during my stay. I can see that it could be okay on a good day but during our stay the water was always cloudy with visibility down to around 1 metre on most occasions. I did manage to see a ray buried in the sand just off the pier and this went someway to making up for the otherwise poor conditions. The infinity pool has a much different vibe to the main pool and at times can get very lively especially around the swim-up bar. The loungers are packed in tightly and we found the towel game in full swing around this pool with loungers having towels down and then going unused for vast periods of the day.

Entertainment staff around the main pool are superb and everything other reviews say about them is true. Whilst we didn’t take part in that many activities the staff are fun to watch and certainly don’t pressurise people to take part in activities if they don’t want to.

For lunch we used the pizzeria located at the main pool or the excellent Barefoot Grill on the beach most afternoons. We used the World Café buffet and Seaside Grill once each for lunch and enjoyed both.

We ate at every restaurant other than Jungla. The Seaside Grill was okay but all the others were excellent with our favourite being Bordeaux where we ate 4 times as we enjoyed it so much. The steak here being better than we have had in most UK restaurants and much better than I’d expect from an AI resort. El Patio is good and allowed me to get my fix of ice cold Corona but I would say that anyone expecting a typical spicy Mexican dish might be a bit disappointed as all the dishes were very mild (they do have so Tabasco if you want to spice it up). We had no upset tummies for our two week stay and food hygiene standards looked high.

Service at all restaurants was good with attentive staff that never let your glasses run dry and quick service. We choose to dine around 7PM each evening and mostly managed to walk straight into our restaurant of choice without a wait. The longest we did have to wait was just over 1 hour on our last night for the Bordeaux but we just relaxed in the Veranda bar with a drink until our pager buzzed. It is worth mentioning that dress code of long trousers and close toed shoes for men is enforced at both Portofino and Bordeaux and there were many guest being turned away during our stay due to not meeting the dress code. We did witness the only unpleasantness of our stay at Bordeaux one evening with one drunken guest being rude and aggressive towards the front of house lady demanding to be let in in his shorts or a table be set up outside as he had paid $1000’s for his vacation. Happily staff sent him on his way! Other restaurants seemed much more relaxed allowing dress shorts or ¾ trousers.

At night we generally hung round the lobby bar which again is manned by a great bunch of guys who greet you with a smile and hand shake each day. It can get busy in here at night and several times seating was at a premium. Entertainment in here consisted of the odd low key live music performance but generally it was a very laid back place to end the evening. On one evening we did venture into the nightclub and had a really good night and it is a bonus that the AI package is carried over in the nightclub unlike some resorts where drinks are chargeable. We didn’t take in any shows but heard good reports from people that did.

The coffee shop is also worth a mention and we used its services on a daily basis and particularly enjoyed the frozen coffee they offered.

I think some of the unsung heroes of the resort are the general cleaning staff and gardeners. The communal areas of the resort are equal to or better than some high end resorts we have visited and are always spotless and where ever we turned during our stay there always seemed to be someone with a dust pan and brush cleaning up.

We only went on one tour and this was via Thomas Cook and was the speedboat tour. This tour was amazing and worth every penny that we paid although I’d advise against anyone doing it who gets any bit travel sick as it can be a bumpy ride.

In summary Dreams is a wonderful resort and reading some of the negative reviews I wonder if I went to the same resort as they did. For the price paid it exceeded our expectations and would happily recommend it and return in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the main pool if you like an early night.
2 Thank woody2384
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed at the hotel because a friend got married there in May 2012, but I would not stay there again. The food is absolutely awful. I love to eat and I never looked forward to a meal during my stay. The food is my biggest complaint about the place and is why the hotel only gets an average score. I read some reviews beforehand and saw similar complaints. I came in with an open mind, but found the food bland and not well prepared.
The beach is very nice-the water is gorgeous. If you stay by the main area you will have nice sand, but if you venture to the beach/infinity pool area you will notice the concrete on the ground, which can make it difficult to walk when one is barefoot. If you are someone who enjoys long walks on the beach, this is not the place for you. The service was fine. Everyone seemed attentive and any issue I had was addressed promptly. If you need wi-fi, you will need to pay $60 for 5 days. I believe if you upgrade, you get wi-fi for free, but I am not sure how much that is. Also, as others have said, if you fly in from Santo Domingo, you will have a two hour ride to the resort. If you do decide to go the hotel, I recommend flying to La Romana. Overall, the experience was ok, with the food being a huge disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Stranorlar, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Where to start...Dreams La Romana is just paradise..from the moment I walked it the front door you stand in the lobby and look out are the main pool area and Sea with a glass of champagne in your hand. Check in was fast and bags brought to room in a few mins.Took the 1st night to walk around and find all the restaurants and bars and enjoy the views of the Caribbean sea. The grounds are perfect so well maintained (daily) just a pleasure to walk the path. The staff are EXCELLENTE and I would highly recommend Dreams to everyone.

Restaurants.
We ate in all restaurants bar 1 the Jungla(only because I got insect bites) all the food was amazing we ate in the buffet everyday for breakfast where the chef made me an omelet every morning with a smile on his face(the guy on the left hand side)
Lunch was either in the sea side grill, Barefoot or buffet also BBQ on the beach. Buffet caters for everyone all selections and delicious deserts to try. Barefoot and BBQ was just burgers, hotdogs and chicken. Sea side grill had simple yet great menu where you could enjoy the 3/4 course meal (lovely pizzas here) steaks, chicken, burgers, salads etc. Waiter where excellent always filling you near empty glass with water or other beverage we where drinking.
Evening meals..We lets just say 3/4 course meal every night(arrive before 7 to get seated right away) or after that and sit back in the near by bar and wait 30 mins for a table either way works fine. As I said the food is excellent. Each place has its own theme and you will not be disappointed if you like to try French, Italian, seafood, Japaneses or Mexican but they also cater for the picky eaters who don't care to try this great food. Highly recommend trying them all.
Room service was good..not a great choice but to be fair why eat there as the restaurants where less than 50 yards from our room.

Bars..No matter where you are seating for the day enjoying the Caribbean sunshine there is a bar less 50 yards with staff who can not do enough for you..be patent as they make each cocktail fresh and with so many ingredients it can take time. Each one is made with a smile. We spent most days at the main pool 10 out the 14 days there where Leydai, Evelin and Katrina took great care of us. Bring us water, cocktails and beers when ever we where ready and special thank you to them. Lobby bar and Veranda bar are great for a drink before and after dinner. A most try is the moijto in the hot afternoon sunshine.

Entertainment - Staff Member - CAPPUCCINO EXCELLENTE
Each evening a itinerary for the next days activities is slipped under your door and from 10 - 12 and 3 -6 the entertainment staff organize each activity, now its up to you wheter you take part or not..they only ask but there is a lot to choose from either on the beach or main pool, when you go you decided what to do and get your funny money for taking part where you cab spend at the auction ( need around 20K to get something).
The staff try so hard to please you always joking around, stopping for a chat or doing the dance each afternoon at the main pool. Also at the main pool there is music playing all day where as the infinity pool just has loud drunk people shouting at the bar area. We preferred the main pool where you could jump in the jacuzzi or pool to cool off.
They also put on shows at 5.30 or 9.30 each evening and you can enjoy them all or choose which one you go to. We went to Magic show, Acrobat man, circus and Managers Cocktail. The managers cocktail is a real nice touch, you get to meet all the managers and they also bring you champagne and appetizers with the words "Welcome Home" I only wish it was home :)

Samoa Island Trip
A MUST - Great day away from resort - Where you will go to the national park, Catalinia Island (Where Atlantic and Caribbean sea meet) Snorkeling, Sand bank, then of to the island for lunch and more rum and on the way home stop to get more photos with star fish. The photographer takes plenty of pictures and are excellent value at $40 particularly if there as a couple where is hard to get many pictures together..No pressure into buying them but would recommend getting them..we got about 50 pics.

Sales people and Stalls set up at main pool area.
This is tricky..my advise is to yes sit with the guys in the lobby for 10 mins get your $200 worth of vouchers for SPA and Massage but dont bother going to the sales pitch the next morning.
The guys in the stalls are nice and are only trying to make a buck..a simple No works but what ever price they say its 1/3 of it or less if you can manage. You can simple avid them if like as well they are only at the main pool 2 nights a week Monday & Thursday.

Grounds - Well kept and the staff are out every morning to clean up the falling leaves from the beach. A joy to walk around.

I travel with my girl friend for 14 night and we both thought it was great and will return again as its just paradise.
Tipping - We tipped simple as that..its up to you but when you have great service a dollar is not alot to say thanks with. Think we spent $200 in tips and had brought it all in $ bills..A money clip is useful to hold the bills and room key.

A little advise bring plenty of sun scream and if you are prone to mosquito bites be prepared with spray and itch cream. My girlfriend got none but I did. Drink loads of water at least 10 bottles a day to avoid any dehydration or sickness also helps to keep you awake in the evening.

To all the Staff in Dream - It was My Pleasure and Thank you.

Room Tip: Block 2 was great 2344 was our looking out over infinity pool and could see the ocean, note its hard...
3 Thank John M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ocean Blue & Sand
#13 of 25 in Bavaro
4.0 of 5 bubbles 12,724 reviews
Now Larimar Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!