“Staff Make Dreams La Romana a Dream Indeed.”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is my fourth stay at this property- the three others were when it was Sunscape Casa Del Mar. Fell in love with the location- the beach, the food- and the staff. Some things have changed, some are still why you love this place and will make it tough to venture out to other AI properties.

Emailed the lovely concierge Louise Coley before arrival with a few requests and were not disappointed. I've been in building 2 on each stay and love the location. Received a nicely refurbished room 2208, complete with balloons and some welcome gifts of fruit and a bottle of rum. Nice view from the room. Quiet too.

Really enjoyed the BBQ lunch party Saturday afternoon. Lots of fun, great food, and a nice way to meet the new staff and say hello to the old faves IE. Pablo Picasso. This place is just not the same without him. Trust me- I was here when he briefly left. There's no-one like him.

Went to every restaurant but Oceana. Food was as good as ever, however... every single one of us ended up sick at some time during the week. My friend missed our Saona Tour. I was sick on my Birthday and for days after leaving the resort. I read all the reviews with people complaining about illness, and thought, poor them, until it happened to us. That being said, I don't know what more the resort could have done. They gave you a squirt of anti-bacterial gel before entering the restaurants, the bathrooms and everything else was immaculately clean. Was being sick fun, absolutely not, but did it ruin my holiday- no way.

The Staff- what else can you say about them.
Louise- you are a doll and I consider you a friend. Thanks for everything- the lunch, the talks, the B-Day dinner in the Wine Room! Can't wait to bring you some more S&V chips & Cadbury chocs & catch up on more stories.
Darling the Apple Rep- so friendly and really went out of her way for us in more ways than I can count. Total sweetheart.
Ditto for Iris in Food & Beverage. Such a character! Enjoyed the VIP treatment including a special menu one night @ Bordeaux. Spoiled!!
Hector in the Pool bar in the Preferred Club- Best drinks in the resort- Anything and everything.
Indiana at the Infinity Pool- never without a smile, or an empty cup.
Belkis at the fruit boat- refreshing treats from the widest smile in the DR.

Snorkeling has been better as the water was pretty stirred up during our stay. This was disappointing for me as there's nothing better being able to have great snorkeling right from the beach. Speaking of...

Seems like the beach is receding- hope it's still there by my next visit- or they keep bringing in more sand. I also found it harder to find a chair this time too than in seasons gone by. The resort is certainly getting busier. And why not- it's a gem. I just hope too many people don't discover it or I'll never get a chair!

If you like quiet, go Preferred as it gets VERY loud at the infinity pool later afternoon. I found the resort had a rowdier crowd than I've ever seen there before, but there were two very large wedding parties there at the same time, so maybe that skewed things.

Absolutely hate the new theater in the conference centre. No comparison with the wonderful open-air one they used to have. Shows were decent though. Didn't set foot in the Casino.

I'm sure I'm missing something, so feel free to ask!

Would I come back for stay #5? Sure, as long as the staff continue to take such good care of me. They have earned my loyalty not only at this property, but the entire AMResorts chain. 10 stays and counting!! :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank work2travel
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest

As a repeat visitor to our wonderful resort may we extend our gratitude to the continued loyalty that you have shown to us.

We are delighted that once again your stay with us exceeded your expectations and we thank you kindly for all your wonderful feedback, we will certainly pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned who helped to make your stay even more enjoyable.

We look forward to your next visit!!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

awesome resort. Staff was very friendly, always there for you. Beach was great and clean. Alot of entertainment activities, we never got bored. However, only me and my sister went, we went in beginning of June, and there were not that many singles; more couples and families. However, we still had a great time. I have no complains at all. Very recommend!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Oksana K

Dear Oksana

We are so pleased you rated your time with us as 5 stars, and we thank you kindly for all of your feedback, we are so happy that your stay at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we hope we are able to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Food terrible.
Entertainment a joke.
No hot tub.
Apple vacations lied about 200 room credit.
Goat burgers
Old
Bottom shelf drinks
Do not go
Most of staff rude.
Lookie lookie was nice
Bull riding is a joke
Pools close at 7
Casino a tiny room with nothing inside

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Dennis H
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that your experience here at our wonderful resort did not meet with your expectations, we would have loved your review to have been more in depth so that we could make improvements as per your suggestions.

Please allow me to clarify some of your points,

We do not serve goat burgers here at our resort.
We have a Jacuzzi located near our main pool
The main pool closes at 8pm
We offer top shelf liquors here at this hotel along with local brands.
We present nightly entertainment shows 7 nights per week amongst various other activities that take place through the day
Our Casino has slot machines inside as well as roulette tables.
We cannot comment on any other 3rd parties (Apple Vacations/resort coupons)

We do apologize if this did not reach out to you as expected.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was our first time staying at a Dreams resort as well as visiting La Romana. We spent 7 nights there. We booked through Apple and I would certainly recommend booking through them. The hotel itself is nicely tucked away, almost on its own private beach (if you compare to the hotels in Punta Cana).
Beach/Pools: If you’re searching for clear blue water and a beautiful beach this is a great place. The beach is one of the best features at the hotel. There are plenty of chairs and places to sit. I especially liked the dedicated places for shade and all of the palm trees. The water was very clean and calm. A nice feature was not having vendors trying to sell you items while you sun bathed. This is common in other parts of the DR, so this was a nice change. There are 2 large pools for guests, one with a swim up bar which is an infinity pool. This was nice & had a beautiful view of the beach and ocean. The other pool was also nice, with a surrounding hot tub and kiddie pool.
Food & Drink: I wouldn’t rate the food at the resort excellent, but it was not bad. The buffet had a good breakfast and lunch, never made it there for supper. The majority of the restaurants were good, we enjoyed French the most. Seaside Grille had by far the most beautiful setting. The view made up for the okay menu. A great spot to have a relaxing lunch also. One perk of booking with Apple Vacations was being able to make reservations at the restaurants. We certainly took advantage of this! Each evening we never had to wait, and we were always seated at the nicest table they had! We found the drinks to be delicious. The bartenders were always willing to make whatever you wanted which was nice.
Rooms: We had a garden view room, with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and a bit of the beach. Rooms had everything you needed including a mini fridge which is re-stocked daily. I would say the room could have used a few upgrades, more so in the bathroom. Our housekeeper kept the room exceptionally clean each day, even leaving us beautiful flowers (thank you Saona).
Staff & Entertainment: The staff at the resort were top notch. These people were there to please, each and every day. They were always extremely friendly, making sure that all expectations were being met. The activities team was amazing. There was always something going on, from water aerobics to painting on the beach. Eddy Murphy always made an effort to come over and say hello each time he saw us. This made us feel like we were very welcomed at the resort. The shows offered each evening were always quite good. The circus event was very impressive. Casino was nice, never too busy. The girls at the Apple vacation desk were very sweet and very accommodating, always making sure we were enjoying our stay. The serves at the restaurants were always very friendly, and made sure our wine glasses were always full!
Excursions outside of the hotel: We booked the 4-Wheeler tour AKA the “Buggy” tour. We booked through Apple. The tour was about 4.5 hour’s total. It began driving through the villages where people work and live. It was an eye opening experience. My advice to someone if you take this tour, don’t bring valuable items as there are children in the village that will beg and want your sunglasses, etc. The rest of the tour took us through the sugar cane fields where we stopped and tried the sugar cane. The guides were very interesting in telling us about the lives of the sugar cane workers. I would recommend this tour, as it certainly was an experience! FYI, prepare to get quite dirty!
Our overall experience was a good one, we certainly felt relaxed and welcome. The resort was beautiful and I would recommend to someone looking for a getaway to the DR.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time here at our beautiful resort and we are grateful that you decided to share your experience.

We are so happy with all of your feedback, and it is great to know that your time here met with your expectations, and it is a great honor that you would recommend our resort to others, thank you!

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked this trip with my girlfriend and another couple because we wanted a quick getaway. When I heard how much everything would cost for all inclusive and airfare(all together less than $1500 for two) I was a little skeptical. I actually went on Trip Advisor to see reviews. I wasn't at all disappointed with Trip Advisor reviews and I definitely wasn't disappointed when we actually arrived at the resort. It was enormous, very clean and full of activities. The staff was very very friendly and helpful. My suggestion for the best food on the resort is the World Cafe and look for a waiter named Bienvenido. At the pools you should look for Ariela and Yudelka. The wi-FI connection needed some strengthening, but I was chastised by my gf for wanting to go online during vacation anyway. Overall, I had a terrific experience.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank RaSherrod

Dear Guest,

We are so pleased that you have taken the time to leave your 5 star review and we are delighted to learn that your stay with us exceeded your expectations, we thank you kindly for all of your wonderful feedback and we hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My company organised a Mktg & Sales seminar with 30 executives from all Americas and as responsible for that training I enjoyed the installation and the service: they were top quality.
I definitely recommend DREAM's facilities.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank GuyPaulMarieB

Dear Guest,

It is with great pleasure to read that you and your colleagues enjoyed your time here at our wonderful resort, and it is a real honor that you have rated your experience with us as 5 stars, we thank you for your feedback, and hope we have the chance to welcome you all back in the future

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We recently returned from a 7 night stay at Dreams La Romana. Having scoured photos on here and ready lots of reviews, I felt confident we were in for a good break - and aware of the bits and bobs to avoid (the time share/sales pitches, too much coconut/pineapple, etc).

I wrote to the e-concierge in advance and asked for a quiet room - my partner and I do not get the opportunity to go away very often so we were keen to have a nice quiet break.

Arrival/check in:
We were greeted with a glass of bubbly and a smile - the porters took our bags and we did not have to queue. Reception advised that our room was not ready - which was frustrating as it was 630pm but they offered us an alternative room in block 4 (the main, noisy block). We declined as block 7 where we had been allocated was reputed to be the quietest - they said it would be 30 minutes til it was ready.

30 minutes later we were issued with keys and a map - and it was very easy to get around the resort and find our block.

The room:
The room we had been allocated was on the top floor - it was dated but large and airy and we felt happy it would be a good place to lay our heads for a week. Within a few minutes it became clear it had not been fully cleaned after the last guests had checked out - there was hair in the shower (on the floor and on the walls) and make up all over the duvet, with a blood stain on the pillow case. I called reception and we were advised they would move us - I did feel they were irritated and I felt uncomfortable having had to explain why I was unhappy. We were moved to the ground floor - to a smaller/less impressive room but it appeared clean. The bathroom was very dated and tired looking but was clean. The bedroom still had clothes in the drawer from a previous occupier and the sheets were quite stained but I did not want to ring and ask to be moved again - so we accepted it and settled in. Frustratingly neither of the bedside lights worked and we were advised someone would come and repair - but they never did. The maid kept the room very neatly. Sadly we were next to and adjacent to crying babies so no peaceful week for us - but at least it woke us early each day!

The resort:
Spotless and kept to a much higher standard than the rooms. There were constantly people cleaning and gardening, and the buildings and grounds were immaculately kept.

Pools:
Excellent and always plenty of beds - we were very lucky to have no issue getting a bed in our favourite spot every day and we did not get up at the crack of dawn to do so! The lady who served drinks at the pool with the bar was the most impressive member of staff in our mind - friendly, always remembered our order and always with a genuine smile.

Beach:
Again no issue getting beds. Stunning beach - the sea was crystal clear and super warm. We swam each day and enjoyed spending time here. There are lots of activities going on but they are at one end and if you prefer peace you can lie at the opposite end.

Staff:
Disappointingly we actually found the majority of he staff to be unfriendly. We were not greeted with smiles - despite us both being smily, polite, friendly people. The staff were all programmed to say 'excellente' whenever you asked how they were - yet their faces told an entirely different story. They also all repeat on cue 'it's my pleasure'. It felt a little staged and I felt many of them were fed up in their jobs - which is a real shame as we spend so much of our lives working.
Benson and Juan Carlos were the only waiters who were friendly towards us and provided excellent service - as such we tipped them both and they were very friendly whenever we saw them throughout our stay.
As I mentioned our pool side waitress was excellent - and a good representation of customer service.
The bar staff at the beach bar and the main lounge bar barely acknowledged us.
The staff in the Coco Cafe were excellent - here is where customer service is at its best - we went here every day for breakfast and they welcomed us with warm smiles and good service even helping me learn Spanish in my ordering!
The entertainment staff did not really interact with us at all - they seemed to just approach people they knew - but that suited us as we were happy to lounge by the pool, reading books. My partner did play water polo on our second to last day - they had a staff v guests tournament and I have to say, in my opinion, the staff took it far too seriously. They were quite aggressive and the (from here) infamous Lookey Lookey actually jumped out of the pool, in a rage, shouted at his manager and hit a wall before storming off. The entertainment team did all appear to work long hours though and were committed to their jobs - with their choice of guests.
The spa staff were all polite and had good customer service.
The photographer who walks around with the man who carries a monkey and some parrots was a disgrace quite frankly - he made sexual references to guests, and when I asked how old the monkey was he made a racist comment which made me feel quite disgusted and insulted.
On our last day we witnessed the worst case of staff service - the gentleman on reception was so rude to us i actually complained and intend to write to his manager this evening too. We had asked to extend check out by 1.5 hours til 1330 (1200 is usual check out) - they said this could be accommodated and when they said it would be 30 dollars I politely asked if they would consider waving it light of the fact our room had not been ready on arrival until 7pm. He smirked and laughed and said 'this isn't the hotels problem... you were offered another room and turned it down'. I explained that we had decided to wait as we had re requested a quiet room and the alternative offered was in block 4 overlooking the entertainment arena and pool. I remained polite and said not to worry but I was disappointed at his response - he then followed this up by saying 'are you going to complain again - you moved rooms 4 times you must like to complain'. We had in fact moved rooms once - and despite having a room which was still not fully clean and with 50% of lights not working we said not a word - as we hate complaining! I was so shocked at the way he spoke - all the time sneering. When I asked for his name and to talk to the manager he laughed and said 'whatever'. Disgusting behaviour. He ruined our last day.

Food:
The choice of food was excellent - and bearing in mind this is an all inclusive resort where mass cooking occurs, it was of a good standard. We had breakfast every day from Coco Cafe - an iced coffee and fresh fruit - perfect. At lunch there are three choices to best of my knowledge - the buffet (with a large range of food items), the pizza bar and the beach grill (with burgers, nachos and hot dogs). It would have been good to have a salad bar option outdoors but overall choice was good and food well presented.
There are 7 a la carte restaurants plus the buffet for the evening meal - I imagine in high season when resort is full they are all open - but during our stay there were 3 choices open each evening. We enjoyed having a different 3 to pick from each day. During our stay we ate: 1 x room service (my partner ordered food - I was sick in bed and didn't eat), 1 x buffet (again lots of choice), 2 x French (the beef was excellent - good cut, well cooked and immense flavour - we had it on both visits), the Italian (average - lower standard than other restaurants), the Japanese/Chinese (excellent front of house concierge and food) and the Mexican (tiny portions and worst choice of the week). Overall we thought the range of food choices was superb and we had no complaints about the standard of what was served.

Bars:
Range of drinks excellent. The champagne good quality - the red wine was acidic though so I avoided, The cocktails were to die for. I intend on making Banana Dori's at home all summer long! The discos was hysterical - we had free entertainment in the form of our co guests who had way over indulged on the free booze and danced like baffoons... never laughed so much!

Medical facility:
I was devastated to be one of the few guests who got ill - I woke with appalling stomach cramps and then had severe upset stomach including vomiting for about 30 hours. After about 12 hours I felt so unwell we decided to seek medical advice - I was concerned as I could not stop being sick and my stomach was very swollen. The clinic advised they could not offer advice and I had to pay for a consultation. It cost $125.00. For that price I expected to be examined and treated - however it quickly became apparent this is yet another medical company abroad simply interested in exploiting you and more importantly your insurance policy. The 'Dr' (I am confident she was not a Dr of GP/hospital practice level) did not examine me - she was cold and impolite. She listened as I went through my symptoms and then said ' we must get an ambulance and take you to hospital. You will need to stay thee for about 24 hours. It's a private room - you will be safe. How much money does your insurance cover?'. I asked what my diagnosis was and why I needed to go to hospital - she said because we need to do lots of tests and it is a sensible thing to do. I explained I felt I had reacted badly to something I had eaten/drank and wanted to know if a. I could be treated there with anti sickness, rehydration and bed rest and b. if it required antibiotics. She said 'yes yes some antibiotics'. She asked if I was allergic to anything - and when I said yes and told her the medication she said she didn't know what it was so 'no antibiotics just in case and you don't need them anyway'.She kept pressing to know how much my insurance policy would cover and refusing to tell me what treatment she would be giving me at this hospital, what she wanted to test me for and how long it was going to take to get better. My partner and I told her we wanted to pay for the consultation nd leave - I did not trust her judgement and it was absolutely clear she just wanted to make a small fortune and not actually treat me. At that point she relented and gave me an anti sickness injection, buscopan and rehydration fluids. Low and behold she said I could go back to my room - after completing a form where I had to write down where I had been eating and everything I had eaten - and would be fine within 24 hours. I was charged $280 for the misery and medication.

So - I have been very honest about the negatives. Those aside we had a lovely week (well 5 days - I lost 2 to sickness). The views are to die for and the atmosphere is chilled. Go and relax and have fun - if you get a good deal this is a lovely, basic hotel to spend a week in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Lou G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#14 of 112 in Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!