Single mom of 9 year old daughter and 14 year old son went for Spring break in April. We opted for this resort over the more mainstream ones in Punta Cana for a more relaxed, authentic Dominican Republic experience. It fit the bill – my kids felt immersed in a different culture and even though the staff spoke excellent English, were motivated to attempt to speak Spanish to the staff. Some of the Americans felt frustrated by the lack of clear, centralized communication but seasoned travellers or those wanting to experience a new culture will appreciate the low-key, relaxed feel.
The resort and grounds: Utterly beautiful, immaculate and well-designed. It sits right on the ocean with palm trees and calm turquoise water that is great for snorkeling and swimming. There is a main large pool and an infinity swim-up pool. Beautiful grounds and layout. The resort is adjacent to a local seaside village for those wanting to experience local life and shop at beach market stalls. Security is very tight and I felt safe at all times. We opted not to do Preferred upgrade and I am glad we did not. The area was out of the way and the pool was average. The only reason would be for couples who want to stay away from kids.
The Staff: The staff was lovely and friendly and particularly nice to my kids. And can they dance! The male staff was amazing with my teen son and his friends – they were cool and fun and had quite the following.
The Guests: A nice friendly group of couples and families and older people. Not too many young adults or rowdy folk here. Met several nice families who took me in even though I was single.
Activities/entertainment: Lots of offerings available in a low-key way. I took yoga and salsa dance lessons on the beach, and aquatic fitness classes in the water. Played bocce ball and pool games with my kids. All were well-run and enjoyable. My daughter and I had an exquisite spa --grounds and services are great. We used the wonderful GriGri Dive Shop on the beach regularly for parasailing, kayaks, snorkeling and Scuba Do. The Scuba Do is an underwater vespa-type machine that allows you to submerge in the water and see the sealife if you don’t dive. Also enjoyed the nightlife entertainment --magicians, dancers, circus. Very good for all ages.
Childrens/Teen Programs: The teen center was a highlight. Kids could hang, play pool, basketball, ping pong, video games and it was a great central meeting place for them behind the main pool. My kids found lots of friends to hang with and because it was All Inclusive, they could grab burgers by the pool (they did an afternoon grill), order virgin frozen fruit drinks at the swim-up pool and otherwise feel very independent. They loved it and I loved the fact that I could have some free time. The younger kid center was disappointing and really needs to be managed better. My 9 year old did not want to go there and we had some unfavorable interactions with the staff, who seemed bored and checked out. Definitely could use improvement. The teen center and nature of the resort worked out for her, however, as she met lots of great kids. Younger kids probably fare better.
Food: The good news is that there are many restaurant selections offering beautiful décor and ambience. The ones facing the beach that offer open air dining were heavenly. The bad news is that other than the special cooked-to-order special offerings , the food was disappointing. Other than the Mexican restaurant, and the main dining room that cooked to order, there were many so-so meals. The main dining room offered a wide array of offerings to please all palettes and is a good safety when needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst a world of pristine beaches, lush tropical jungle and turquoise sea on the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic, Dreams La Romana is the perfect resort for singles, couples and families. Unlimited Luxury Enjoy the many amenities of Unlimited-Luxury at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, where nearly everything is included. Every gourmet meal, every fine wine and cocktail, and so much more. At Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, these amenities include: •Elegant accommodations with incredible views •Gourmet dining at eleven specialty restaurants •24-hour room service •Unlimited top-shelf spirits at seven festive bars and lounges •All day and nighttime activities and entertainment •Option to upgrade to Preferred Club privileges •Free WiFi and international calling with Unlimited Connectivity (coming soon) •Full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks •Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks •Unlimited international and domestic top-shelf spirits •Complimentary mini-bar refreshed daily with soft drinks, juices, bottled water and beer •24-hour room service •Specialty restaurants with no reservations required •Themed parties, oceanfront bars and entertainment venues •Pristine swimming pools •Pool and beach wait service •Endless daytime activities and live nightly entertainment •Explorer's Club for kids with supervised activities •Core Zone Teens Club with teen activities •Fitness center •No wristbands required •All taxes and gratuities Unlimited Top-Shelf Spirits Enjoy international and domestic top-shelf spirits, fine wines and ice-cold beer at any of our seven bars and lounges. Then keep the party going with 24-hour room service and your own complimentary mini-bar. All of your favorite drinks are served without limit or expected gratuities at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa. World-Class Spa Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the Dreams Spa by Pevonia. Spanning more than 21,000 square feet, the on-site spa at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa offers a la carte treatment options ranging from the traditional to transcendent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travelbag, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams La Romana Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Hotel Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa Dominican Republic/Bayahibe