“Wonderful Upgrade”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful Upgrade”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had originally booked at a sister resort of Dreams but upon arrival we were upgraded to Dreams due to overbooking at the resort originally reserved. The staff was wonderful and the resort was absolutely gorgeous. Upon arrival they great you with champagne and Leo Cabrera helped us with the luggage and throughout the weekend we were there. They had fun activities throughout the day and 7 awesome restaurants to choose from every night. No reservations required so a small wait was sometimes to be expected. The one complaint I did have is 1 of the restaurants was closed one night due to a wedding reception so we couldn't eat there. We were only there 4 nights so we ended up not getting to eat at this one at all. The music and atmosphere was relaxing and beautiful. Would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: The wifi is good through out the resort but only on 1 device and you pay by the hour.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tonya B
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Tonya

We are delighted to hear that your recent vacation here at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and it was a pleasure to be your hosts, thank you very much for all of your great feedback and we hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon!

Chief Concierge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,192)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited Dreams La Romana from 8/5-8/11 I will start with the positive. The resort is gorgeous, very well maintained and the beach is clear, clean and very calm if you have children. All the rooms and facilities are clean. The public bathrooms are immaculate and I love the fact that when you want into the buffet they give you a squirt of hand sanitizer. The pools are well maintained, the only issue I had was there were way too many kids hanging around at the swim up bar pool (which had the best drinks at the resort). Overall, we enjoyed our stay. We met so many nice tourists and made a lot friends during our stay. The girls in the gift shop were very helpful, and for the most part the wait staff in the World Cafe were friendly, as well as the people who worked in the Preferred section. The food was hit more miss on some nights, but that comes with staying with an inclusive resort. The asian and seafood (Oceana) restaurants were pretty good. The beach grill was perfect! Great burgers, grilled chicken, etc and there was even a fruit boat where you get fresh fruit chopped right in front of you. This made it very convenient to spend the whole day at the beach without interruption. I highly recommend the beach water aerobics.

However, overwhelmingly (other travelers we spoke to felt the same way) the staff seemed disinterested in their jobs. If you asked someone a question they simply pointed, and we were not sure where they were pointing to without saying a word. The whole pool/beach towel policy is ridiculous. I am not sure why a card is needed to obtain a towel. This is the third Dreams property I have stay at and I have never experienced needing a card to get a towel. The check out policy held us up as well because no one explained to us that you needed to give your check out card to the bell hop upon leaving the resort. One person in our van did not do this and it held us up for 20 minutes because the front gate person had to verify with the driver and the front desk that the person had actually checked out. It is not like we were trying to break in…I didn't understand it. Additionally, if you did not give the card back for the towel then you have to find it before you can check out (this happened to one of the people we were traveling with).

If you call the operator be prepared to be transferred several times before getting an answer. The day we arrived I asked for extra hangers and was transferred to no less than 3 people before getting to the right office (I did get the hangers though).Room service was ridiculously slow one night. We called a few times to see where our food was, after 45 minutes, then one hour, then around 1 and 15 minutes we decided to get to a restaurant before they closed at 10pm. When we asked to speak to someone in charge we kept getting transferred and had to tell the same story at least 3 times. Finally, when we were dressed to leave the food showed up, very cold with no apology for being late. We opened the door, the waiter walked right past us, put the food on the table and then left without a word.

I know the Apple representatives are independent of the resort, but the two that were working that week were not that friendly. They did their job, but I have done many apple vacations and they were the most insincere. Do not waste your time going on the free shopping trip to Punta Cana..it is only four buildings with one regular gift shop-the prices are a little cheaper than the resort gift shop but you lose 4 or 5 hours out of your day for nothing. The Apple reps should have been more forthcoming in describing the trip. We lost half a day of beach time. Additionally, instead of you going to them to find out what the excursions are they make you sit through a 40 minute presentation telling you about the excursions available. In my opinion, this should be optional, I can determine what excursions I would like to take on my own. It was under the guise of setting up our return transportation, which normally takes about 10 minutes. Two of my friends who arrived a few days later than us were scolded by the representatives because they did not sit through the presentation. They only had three days and spent 1.5 days on excursions that I had previously planned-why do they need to sit through the presentation? When I shared with the Apple representative this was the first time we had to sit through a presentation, she swore to me that everyone likes it and it was the best way to distribute information. Not when you are taking away from someone's vacation.

We are pretty seasoned travelers and very independent when comes to finding our way around, but if a staff cannot take the time or interest to answer the simplest of questions…they need to be informed-the tourism industry is based on good customer service. This is the third Dreams property we have stayed at and I am little disappointed at the service. When I see the brand name I expect to the brand service no matter what country I am in. Overall would I recommend the resort? Probably, just be prepared for periods of rudeness and disinterest-it should not take away from your stay because the resort is lovely, and there are some friendly people who work there and take their jobs seriously.

I give the resort a 4 overall and I would give service a 3 if I could.

p.s If you choose the Santo Domingo excursion, its nice to the see the capital and history of the country, its about 1.5 hours from the resort but its on a very nice bus. An authentic DR lunch is included at a very quaint restaurant. However you only get to go one gift shop-and you cannot bargain the prices are set and in some instances higher than the gift shop prices. My friend and I snuck into the gift shop next door and she purchased a pair of earring for $15 US that they were trying to sell for $60 US in the assigned gift shop.

Room Tip: Just make sure you give your check out ticket to the bellhop. Preferred guest rooms have free wifi w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank natinmd
Dear Guest

Thank you for the time you have taken to tell us about your experience and we appreciate that you chose our wonderful hotel as your holiday destination.

We are very sorry to hear that you were not happy with the level of service you received whilst here at our resort, that was certainly not our intention, in fact this is something we are consistently praised for so this is extremely disappointing to hear, but we do thank you for bringing this to our attention as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future.

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family and friends had a great time,I have to say Dreams La Romana resort and spa is an excellent all inclusive resort. The resort is well looked after very clean and grounds well maintained by the hard working staff. The food was excellent we ate most nights at the World Cafe Buffet Restaurant where our waiter JUAN LAPPOST gave us great service. The entertainment team work long hours but always good fun many thanks to TREASURE. Thankyou to all at DREAMS LA ROMANA for an excellent holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Calcraig
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for rating your experience with us as 5 stars, we are thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and it has been great to read your review, we sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived home a week ago from this resort and are missing it terribly. Considering there were 12 of us in total we found that your resort was very accommodating and extremely friendly. Sometimes we had a wait for tables in restaurants but that was to be expected. My family and I came with a 1year old and found the staff at the resort could not do enough for us you were outstanding. Special thanks to La Bomba and Genisis who he absolutely adored and as a mum travelling long haul with a youngster it was wonderful to have such help and friendliness we were sad to say goodbye to you. Thank you. The entertainment team on the beach all day are brilliant. My kids loved it and to be honest so did the adults. Food in some restaurants better than others but on the whole fab. The spa is outstanding and well worth a visit at an extra cost but offers are good. Would definitely visit resort again. Huge thank you to the whole team for a beautiful holiday.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank LisaHarris7
Dear Lisa

We are so happy to hear that your recent vacation here at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we will most certainly pass on your great comments to our entertainment team who helped make your stay even better!

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were there in May for our Grandaughter wedding(It was wonderful)and then again in July with our Daughter and family.Cannot find a single thing to complain about,The Staff the Food the Rooms and the weather were excellent.We have been to the Dominican Republic 16 times now and this hotel was one of the best we have stayed at.I would like to mention Louise Coley at (e. concierge)for helping us out with our requests as my wife was in a wheelchair. Diomedy in the Lobby bar she was an excellent waitress.Wilson and Lenin in the Seaside grill.and Treasure the entertainment staff.Would hope to return again in the future.

Room Tip: Block 5 and block 7
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank roy1921
Dear Roy,

It is great to hear that you visited our resort twice in such a close proximity of time and we thank you very much for your loyalty, we are so pleased you enjoyed both stays with us and we will most certainly pass on your great comments to Louise, who helped with your requests.

Please come back and visit us soon!

Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were so pleased by choosing this resort, It had everything to make our vacation even better than planned. Kids loved it, they had plenty of things for the kids to do with all the activities. The gym staff was also very friendly and Rene Guiller specially made our stay and workouts fun and wanting to come back for more. Restaurants had great choices of food and were beautiful decorated. Great place to have a great vacation!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Luz H
Dear Guest

We are so pleased that you have rated your experience with us as 5 stars and it is great to know that we exceeded your expectations, we thank you kindly for all of your wonderful feedback and we hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My family and I had a fantastic time, from our room all the way to the beachs, I have to said the Dreams La Romana resort and spa is one of the best all inclusive resort. No hassels Relaxing from the beginning to the end. The service is Amazing. Beautiful and Friendly people are all you'll find. I have to also add Juan Pablo Nunez was one of the best staff members at the world Cafe. He was always on top of our service. Awsome time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tarsh L
Dear Guest

It is great to know that your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, we thank you kindly for all of your wonderful feedback and we will certainly thank Juan Pablo on your behalf, we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Chief Concierge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ocean Blue & Sand
#13 of 25 in Bavaro
4.0 of 5 bubbles 12,868 reviews
Now Larimar Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!