“Fabulous trip, especially for my kids - 6 & 3 years old!”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The resort was beautiful & clean with a great selection of restaurants. The good was delicious and the kids menu had a lot of variety. 2 employees made our stay excellent....Emmanuel Mercedes was a phenomenal waiter who went out of his way to cater to us. Lino Kelvin Berroa was on the entertainment crew and ensured that our kids were included in all activities. Both employees should be commended for their work ethic as they took great pride in making our stay a pleasurable one!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank LED202
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest

We are thrilled to discover that your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations and we thank you kindly for all of your feedback, we will certainly pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned who helped make your stay with us even better.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon

Chief Concierge

Write a ReviewReviews (11,727)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We travelled to the Dreams La Romana from 9/8/2014 to 23/8/2014 as a family of threeWe had a lovely relaxing holiday in the resort . We have travelled to the Dominican twice before staying in the Iberostar Punts Cana 2 yrs ago and then The Royalton this Feb.

The positives about this resort as follows:

Beach

The beach was lovely , calm water , where you could walk out quite far (just watch for the occasional sea urchin), there were plenty of loungers on the beach.

The beach waitresses were very attentive and worked really hard to cover the whole area

We felt there was a good mix of full sun and shaded areas on the beach

The gardening team and general cleaning team do a great job raking the sand and removing cigarette ends and general litter, even using a small tractor to rake and clear the beach everyday

Great mix of beach and pool activities daily

The fruit boat was great being able to get fresh fruit each day

Entertainment team are excellent they work exceptionally hard and put on great shows......the day time they work tirelessly to encourage young and old to get involved...with all sorts of different activities from water polo to darts and a great painting competition, what I also thought was great if you took part they gave prizes which I've never seen before and also funny money for kids joining in which they can exchange in daily auctions as they build up the money which was really innovative and fun for the kids

The following staff stood out for me , as I work in customer service you have really got to embrace what great service should look like and the following demonstrated exceptional service, Ronnie in the buffet in a morning nothing was too much trouble , a lovely young !an with a great attitude, Benny in the buffet really lovely man who worked really hard, Yubaris and Maria C pool waitresses were lovely and friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble....they represented their employees exceptionally well and I hope that the management read this review and reward them accordingly

The staff 99% of the time were fantastic with just a couple letting it down...Eva the room maid did an exceptional job

I thought the singers ,pianist,live band,circus did a great job and of all the Caribbean resorts Cuba,Dom Rep and Cuba this was by far the best

Opportunities

Unfortunately the the swallows nesting in the palm shades on the beach frequently defecate on the beds and sometimes you...not really nice

The toilets near the beach are very busy and can be quote dirty....the staff work hard to keep on top but it is a mammouth task for them...with unfortunately some guests not being very hygienic

The reception desk staff overall were a different story to the buffet,beach and entertainment team, they were unhelpful and on occasion rude....we like to tip for great service and like to share it around average 3 to 5 dollars however the staff at the desk were exceptionally rude to my husband when he asked for change of his 10 dollars....which was uncalled for.I also observed one or two of the buffet female hosts making derogatory comments about what some of the guests were wearing...how I know I do not need to speak fluent Spanish to know when someone is being inappropriate...so this really is quote off putting

The rooms were outdated but to be honest we do not spend a great deal of time in them however are quite old and some fixtures hanging of the walls... The other thing there were small bugs coming out of the walls behind plugs ...I am not niave enough that we would not experience some encounters but it was quite bad.

The room towels are very old and not that sparkling.

The main pool is a great size nice depth....however nowhere enough lingers with security having to take loungers from the beach, and on occasion some more selfish guests were placing towels on the pool loungers and also at the beach which reduced availability for everyone.

The food was cooked well but we were really shocked to find that steak and prawns were a rarity and having to pay for a lobster dinner I thought was a cheek.

The service in the a la carte can be a little hit and miss particularly the Asian...the food at the sea food grill was very good......

The pizza at the pool was cooked fresh and was excellent
The burgers though were cold ( please do not think we are maoning we are trying to write an honest review to help people when they go to this resort to help make choices)

The landscaping and grounds are immaculate and the general cleaning team do a fantastic job....

We did a couple of trips quads/buggies this was tea?my good but we went through a couple of villages and to see this I did get really upset...seeing the conditions and refuse discarded everywhere

Outback safari was OK but felt we were being pumped for money at every stop and felt a little pressured to buy their goods.

In summary

Great beach.....excellent entertainment

Need to invest in more loungers at the pool , update the rooms/towels Retrain the reception staff
Reward the pool /beach waitresses Benny and Ronnie
Look at the buffet improve meat selection
Paying for WiFi is a big no no...we will not stay in a hotel in future where you pay for wifi

Room Tip: Some rooms flood with torrential rain...if weather poor so check it out 3 or 4rooms on our row on ou...
6  Thank deb23610
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to be your hosts during your recent vacation with us and we are grateful that you have taken the time to share your experience with us.

We are so pleased that certain aspects of your stay with us met with your expectations, we are happy you enjoyed the use of our stunning beach area, and we are happy to hear that our excellent entertainment team helped make your stay even more enjoyable.

However, we are disappointed to hear that other aspects of your stay with us did not meet with your expectations, we are very surprised to hear that certain members of our team did not offer you the level of service that we endeavor to provide, we thank you for bringing this to our attention and will certainly pass on these comments to the relevant departments.

We appreciate all of your feedback, both positive and otherwise as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just back from 10 days here! From the moment we arrived we were greeted with champagne and whisked through to the preferred club for canapés! The staff are amazing, particularly Dorka on the preferred beach, Locero our concierge, Willian at breakfast and David in the French restaurant! There is plenty of food choice and a different buffet theme each night. French was definitely our favourite restaurant, but all were pretty good, although we didn't try the Dominican one.

The maids do a fabulous job cleaning the rooms changing towels day and night.

Would definitely recommend upgrading to the preferred club as pool and beach were much quieter here and it was lovely to have the afternoon canapés in the club area and breakfast over looking the sea instead of in the buffet! Also free wifi in the rooms, however this was a little hit or miss, however it was great for our two teenagers!

Bavaro splash were an amazing company we used for a day out (booked through the tour office on site)$99 p person for a day of snuba(like scuba but no licence needed and from 8 years plus), snorkelling and driving speed boats, fantastic!

We also spent an afternoon in the spa having massages which were great.

All in all apart from a delayed flight home, our holiday was great and I would highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Upgrade to preferred club and don't forget your mosquito spray!
3  Thank Jackie20056
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Jackie

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us, we are so pleased to discover that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations,

It is great to know that you enjoyed being a member of our Preferred Club and we are pleased you enjoyed your spa treatments, '

Please come back and visit us soon

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just had an amazing holiday with my family! The entertainment team were fantastic especially, Edward, Treasure, Eddie Murphy and Campbell who I miss loads! The food was really nice and all the staff were attentive and hardworking :) There's loads to do from sunbathing and snorkeling on the beautiful beach to exciting nighttime entertainment! Thank you so much Dreams La Romana for giving me one of the best holidays EVER!:D

Room Tip: Block 5 garden view is lovely
2  Thank Georgia B

Dear Georgia

We are delighted that you have rated your experience here at our wonderful resort as 5 stars and we appreciate the time you have taken to tell us about your vacation.

It is wonderful to learn that our excellent entertainment team helped make your stay with us even better and we will certainly pass on your great comments, please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just got back from an amazing experience at Dreams La Romana with our party of 33. Everyone in the group were extremely happy with the resort. There were plenty of options for dining and activities for all. Our kids are a bit depressed to be home:(, and so am I. I would highly recommend staying at the preferred club, as I enjoyed the private pool, beach, bar, and lounge. What made our experience the most enjoyable was the friendly staff throughout the resort. Everyone we encountered were attentive, gracious, and always asking if we needed anything. I was pleased to have met the leadership team during my stay and understand why everyone was so friendly... Thanks Angel, Jorge, and Juan Pierre for leading by example! I would like to recognize Carlos Livio F&B Asst. Mgr, Marcos from La Bordeaux, and Julissa from preferred club who most certainly went above and beyond during our stay. Looking forward to sharing my experience with all and coming back shortly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jeff C

Dear Jeff

We are so pleased to hear that you and your party of 33 enjoyed your time here at our wonderful resort and we are beyond delighted that we managed to exceed everyone expectations, we appreciate all of your great feedback, and it would be a pleasure to welcome you all back again in the future

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend had an amazing time at this resort. We went for my friends vow renewal for 6 days and 5 nights. The staff was so friendly and they went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. We had a garden view room on the 3rd floor which at first we thought the stairs would be irritating, but our room had a vaulted ceiling since it was on the top floor, and it made the room seem so spacious. Our balcony looked over the garden but we could see a glimpse of the ocean and the smell of the ocean was so amazing. The swim up bar was an obvious hit. The nearby beach was so beautiful as well. A plus is that the drinks were truly all inclusive and the buffet was surprisingly good. We enjoyed walking past the flamingos everyday. The $7 daily charge for WiFi was a little disappointing, but we quickly realized that being disconnected for a few days in paradise is not bad at all. Please make sure you book transportation in advance from the airport to the resort and back if you are flying into Punta Cana Intl Airport. Its about an hour drive from the airport to the resort, and the taxis will charge up to $100 for a one way trip. We used Liberty Travel and they booked us transfer services through Olympus. They were also very friendly and their vans were new and very clean. Carlos Gil, Mario Morales and Jonathan Berroa worked at the bar in the main lobby of the resort. These gentlemen were so friendly and exemplified true customer service. We are definitely going to return to Dreams La Romana.

Room Tip: Bldg 3, on the 3rd floor looking over the garden were affordable and spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joseph R

Dear Joseph,

We are delighted to hear that your recent vow renewal at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we are so pleased you decided to share your experience with us, we are thrilled with all of your great feedback and we hope to welcome you back again in the future

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I booked my "four star" resort vacation package via cheapcarribbean.com for about $1600 pp which included flight, rt private transfer to hotel / airport , seven nights stay in dreams la romana resort . I anticipated a a lot for this price considering it was more than I normally spend but when we arrived to the hotel it was nothing but aggravation and disappointments up until the last day. When we arrived we slipped the front desk some cash to possibly get an ocean or pool view. We were given room keys and when we opened the door we were immediately disappointed with the look of the room...old tile flooring, window coverings had holes and were outdated and then the bathroom shower looked like something from a two star hotel or city motel. But worst of all the musty smell hit me but I figured maybe if I turn up the ac and open the window for some fresh air that would go away. In the mean time we went back to concierge to see if there was an updated room or at least one without the musty smell. We were given room keys to various buildings and spent what felt like hrs roaming around going from building to building looking at different rooms...each one looked and smelled worse or equal to my room, not to mention the dead cockroaches in other buildings. Anyway we complained the last option was to upgrade to VIP for an additional $60 per night ! We already spent enough they were not getting another $420! I stuck it out and said I would try to make the best of it. The next morning my hair and clothes smelled like mildew...I worked up and looked around and began to notice there was black mold on the curtains, wall, lamp shade and I was to afraid to take off pillow coverings so I shoved the pillows in the closet and demanded to be moved. After complaining to every person they kept pushing us off to different people. I was finally moved to another room that didn't smell on Wednesday ...five days later. To sum things up...food took over 30 minutes in most restaurants a nd food was under cooked. Everything is gluten free which tastes very different than what I'm used to. Don't leave the resort...please do not waste your money. we booked an trip to shop for $65 we were taken to what looked like the apocalypse and were ushered to shop at dollar store like places .we got out and then quickly got back in and asked to be taken back the hotel ...not before they he held his hands for us to tip him for the tour of the ghetto. We didn't want to pay but the hotel and driver insisted we pay and frankly we were afraid of what might happen to us if we didn't. I can honestly say Dreams was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and I will never return to another dreams resort or Dominica republic. after this trip I'm hesitant to leave the country ever again.

Room Tip: The updated rooms are in the honeymoon suite and VIP however another couple was complaining about th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dflip21
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Guest

We are very sorry that your recent stay here at our wonderful resort did not meet with your expectations, this was certainly not our intention

Please allow me to clarify that room allocation is done depending on information from your tour operator, they stated you had a garden view room reserved, which is what we allocated to you, unless an upgrade to partial ocean view room was arranged and confirmed, then this room type would not have been possible.

For clarification purposes please allow me to inform you that the hotel does not offer or deal with any excursions directly, so it is difficult for us to comment on your feedback, however as always we appreciate your feedback.

We are grateful that you have brought all of your issues encountered to our attention as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future

Kind regards

Chief Concierge

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Catalonia Royal La Romana
#2 of 16 in Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!