“Wish I Was Back Already!!!”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wish I Was Back Already!!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Great time from the time of us landing and only a 15-20 min ride to the hotel. I'm in my mid 20s n went there as a family vacation, though the hotel is more family oriented still had a great time. The staff is absolutely wonderful and just a phone call away. The wonderful Mrs. Darling made our check in an absolute breeze and always made any accommodations possible. Also I would like to include LA Bomba, joy I, Iva, and James Brown who are all part of the entertainment team always having fun activities and amazing shows every night. Overall I can't wait to get back only this time just going with my girlfriend. Thanks again to the staff at Dreams, great time

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Alexander D
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Alexander

We thank you for choosing our wonderful resort as your holiday destination and we are so grateful that you have rated your stay with us as 5 stars!

We are so pleased that we have exceeded your expectations, and it is wonderful to know that you would like to return, we do hope that happens as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Chief Concierge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,181)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We traveled to Dreams La Romana from 19/7/14 to 3/8/14,as a family with two teenage girls aged 16 & 13.And i must say it was one of the best holidays we have taken.we flew with Thomson on their new Dreamliner.I Wasn't looking forward to the long flight but the excellent TV entertainment system made the flight very enjoyable,by the time you had something to eat and watched a few films you were there.The only issue i had with the flight was that i think you should be given at least one free drink,with it being such a long flight.Apart from that it was a very good flight.
The transfer from Punta Cana airport to the hotel was about 50 minutes.On arrival we were handed a chilled glass of champagne which was lovely.We checked in but was told our rooms weren't ready and we had to wait 20 minutes.we did request two rooms next to each other or adjoining,which we were lucky enough to get.
Our rooms were clean and spacious,the beds were very comfy.Yes the rooms and bathroom are a bit dated and are in need of a facelift.But the room served our needs.My only negative was i wish there was a full length mirror in the rooms.And maybe some lights in the wardrobe,as there wasn't enough light to see your clothes.
The pools looked lovely but we never used them because it was easier to find sun loungers on the beach.The beach was beautiful,very clean.And the sea was clear and very warm.The beach waitress service was ok.but it was noted that if people were tipping them,they served them more and we were overlooked on many occasions.
The breakfast in the world buffet was very good.A lot to choose from,something for everyone.We did have our evening meals in the world buffet for the first few nights.The food was ok but found it to be a bit repetitive.We tried the Italian but we had to wait 45 minutes for a table.But it was well worth the wait.The staff,the service and the quality of the food was amazing.We found if you dined early about 7pm there was no waiting for tables.We always had our order taken by David,he is such a lovely man and made us feel very welcome and so did all the staff in Portofino.We were that happy with Portofino that we dined in the for 8 nights.We would like to say a massive thank you to David for looking after us very well.And to the rest of the staff as they work so hard.
We dined at the seaside grill a few nights mainly when the Italian was closed.The food was very good too and the service.Apart from one night we were invaded by 20 plus American kids that had been dumped by their parents.And we think they went to the french restaurant as it was adult only.They got there big order of main meals out and it was like feeding time at the zoo.We felt so sorry for the waiters as they tried their hardest to please everyone.But it was hard for them to do their job with demanding and very rude kids asking for stuff all the time.Was so glad when they left and service returned to normal.I had the rib eye steak and it was cooked to perfection.It was one of the best steaks Ive had in a while.Overall the quality of the food was very good too.The evening entertainment was ok but we found the entertainment in the conference centre a lot better than round the main pool.
Overall this is a beautiful resort and the staff are really friendly,and will do anything for you.The only disappointment for us was no free WiFi.In an hotel of this standard you would expect to not have to pay for it.
All in all it was an amazing holiday and I cant wait to maybe come back one day.I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Guest

We are so pleased that you recent stay with us exceeded your expectations, and we are so happy that you rated your time with us as 5 stars!

We appreciate such an in depth review and we are certain this will be a great help to our future guests, we certainly hope we have the chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Is there ever a good time to get robbed? It just sucks any way you look at it; especially the day before you are about to leave for a big trip to the Dominican Republic staying at the DREAMS La Romana. But we got robbed, handled what we had to do and our recovery time at the DREAMS La Romana was OUTSTANDING....

Not being in my best shape, I decided to hit the gym regularly, where I met Rene Guillen. He was excellent with helping me and my kids during our workout. He encouraged me and at the end of every workout, would always shake my hand and say "see you tomorrow..." He made me commit and with all the other stuff on our vacation, he helped me have a better outlook on getting back in shape...Thanks Rene!! When you go, please tell Rene I said hi... .and he will look forward to seeing you the next day too.

The view was excellent. I highly recommend with a family of 5 to get the suite that connects. You are overlooking the pool and sea and everyone can be together. That is better than opening one door, knocking on another door to see who is awake (or worse, waking them up!!). Get the rooms that connect so you can all feel like it is still like home; whoever is up can go get breakfast or whatever.

What I like about DREAMS La Romana as well is that you can plan to "do" or "not do." I would strongly recommend the Maritarium and the Zip Lines. Both staffs for each event were not only looking to make sure everyone felt comfortable, but was also entertained.

Hey, you come to this place and you want to relax and that is exactly what you can do. But with a family with a 13 year old,boy, 11 year old girl and a 9 year old, you are not hitting the spa every day either. We were on the beach, in the pool, playing chess, participating in the daily games (when you do participate in the games, you earn "funny money" that you can then go to a night auction and bid on tee shirts, etc...) AND we hit the spa. Do it!! All of you go at once and experience it together...it is still relaxing and a great experience for the entire family.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Bring some cash with you but credit card works fine to book adventures. Don't worry so much about doing the lobster dinner or the romantic dinner by the water. You are on the water and if you want, order room service and bring it down to the beach yourself!!

If I could recommend anything to this location, I would say that the "kids game room area" (billiard tables, ping pong, basketball court, electric bull) needs a HUGE UPGRADE. The bull doesn't work and it didn't look like it was going to be fixed. The billiard tables don't have the right balls and some tables have ripped up base to them. Last, the basketball rim is too old and malformed as well as the basketballs having little air. They need to upgrade that area.

But on a whole, you will thoroughly enjoy the trip here. The staff and cleaning crew are very considerate. And if you go to the gym, tell Rene Guillen I said hi.

Room Tip: Walls are thick but I recommend getting the highest floor rooms. That way, less traffic walking by...
4 Thank limby12345
Dear Guest

We so pleased to hear that after such stressful recent events your stay here at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we are so pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We have taken on board all of your feedback, and thank you kindly for taking the time to share this with us, we hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Rosedale, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at Dreams La Romana Aug 10-17 2014. we were greeted with champagne and warm face towels. All the employees especially, Mary at the Preferred Club, the lady bar tender at the Pool Preferred Club and Benny at the world cafe were very nice. We spent everyday at their wonderful beach. Many resturants to choose from, if you dine at the Boredeaux, French cuIsine, try the shrimp cocktail with mango sauce, OMG. I saw so many people eat the shrimp without touching the sauce. People eat the shrimp with the sauce -- "MUY EXCELENTE".

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thebranchs
Dear Guests

We are delighted that you have rated your experience here at our beautiful hotel as 5 stars and we thank you kindly for the time you have taken to tell us about your experience.

We are so pleased that your recent vacation met with your expectations, and we will certainly pass on your great comments to those mentioned who helped make your stay even better.

Come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The resort was beautiful & clean with a great selection of restaurants. The good was delicious and the kids menu had a lot of variety. 2 employees made our stay excellent....Emmanuel Mercedes was a phenomenal waiter who went out of his way to cater to us. Lino Kelvin Berroa was on the entertainment crew and ensured that our kids were included in all activities. Both employees should be commended for their work ethic as they took great pride in making our stay a pleasurable one!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank LED202
Dear Guest

We are thrilled to discover that your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations and we thank you kindly for all of your feedback, we will certainly pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned who helped make your stay with us even better.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon

Chester
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We travelled to the Dreams La Romana from 9/8/2014 to 23/8/2014 as a family of threeWe had a lovely relaxing holiday in the resort . We have travelled to the Dominican twice before staying in the Iberostar Punts Cana 2 yrs ago and then The Royalton this Feb.

The positives about this resort as follows:

Beach

The beach was lovely , calm water , where you could walk out quite far (just watch for the occasional sea urchin), there were plenty of loungers on the beach.

The beach waitresses were very attentive and worked really hard to cover the whole area

We felt there was a good mix of full sun and shaded areas on the beach

The gardening team and general cleaning team do a great job raking the sand and removing cigarette ends and general litter, even using a small tractor to rake and clear the beach everyday

Great mix of beach and pool activities daily

The fruit boat was great being able to get fresh fruit each day

Entertainment team are excellent they work exceptionally hard and put on great shows......the day time they work tirelessly to encourage young and old to get involved...with all sorts of different activities from water polo to darts and a great painting competition, what I also thought was great if you took part they gave prizes which I've never seen before and also funny money for kids joining in which they can exchange in daily auctions as they build up the money which was really innovative and fun for the kids

The following staff stood out for me , as I work in customer service you have really got to embrace what great service should look like and the following demonstrated exceptional service, Ronnie in the buffet in a morning nothing was too much trouble , a lovely young !an with a great attitude, Benny in the buffet really lovely man who worked really hard, Yubaris and Maria C pool waitresses were lovely and friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble....they represented their employees exceptionally well and I hope that the management read this review and reward them accordingly

The staff 99% of the time were fantastic with just a couple letting it down...Eva the room maid did an exceptional job

I thought the singers ,pianist,live band,circus did a great job and of all the Caribbean resorts Cuba,Dom Rep and Cuba this was by far the best

Opportunities

Unfortunately the the swallows nesting in the palm shades on the beach frequently defecate on the beds and sometimes you...not really nice

The toilets near the beach are very busy and can be quote dirty....the staff work hard to keep on top but it is a mammouth task for them...with unfortunately some guests not being very hygienic

The reception desk staff overall were a different story to the buffet,beach and entertainment team, they were unhelpful and on occasion rude....we like to tip for great service and like to share it around average 3 to 5 dollars however the staff at the desk were exceptionally rude to my husband when he asked for change of his 10 dollars....which was uncalled for.I also observed one or two of the buffet female hosts making derogatory comments about what some of the guests were wearing...how I know I do not need to speak fluent Spanish to know when someone is being inappropriate...so this really is quote off putting

The rooms were outdated but to be honest we do not spend a great deal of time in them however are quite old and some fixtures hanging of the walls... The other thing there were small bugs coming out of the walls behind plugs ...I am not niave enough that we would not experience some encounters but it was quite bad.

The room towels are very old and not that sparkling.

The main pool is a great size nice depth....however nowhere enough lingers with security having to take loungers from the beach, and on occasion some more selfish guests were placing towels on the pool loungers and also at the beach which reduced availability for everyone.

The food was cooked well but we were really shocked to find that steak and prawns were a rarity and having to pay for a lobster dinner I thought was a cheek.

The service in the a la carte can be a little hit and miss particularly the Asian...the food at the sea food grill was very good......

The pizza at the pool was cooked fresh and was excellent
The burgers though were cold ( please do not think we are maoning we are trying to write an honest review to help people when they go to this resort to help make choices)

The landscaping and grounds are immaculate and the general cleaning team do a fantastic job....

We did a couple of trips quads/buggies this was tea?my good but we went through a couple of villages and to see this I did get really upset...seeing the conditions and refuse discarded everywhere

Outback safari was OK but felt we were being pumped for money at every stop and felt a little pressured to buy their goods.

In summary

Great beach.....excellent entertainment

Need to invest in more loungers at the pool , update the rooms/towels Retrain the reception staff
Reward the pool /beach waitresses Benny and Ronnie
Look at the buffet improve meat selection
Paying for WiFi is a big no no...we will not stay in a hotel in future where you pay for wifi

Room Tip: Some rooms flood with torrential rain...if weather poor so check it out 3 or 4rooms on our row on ou...
6 Thank deb23610
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to be your hosts during your recent vacation with us and we are grateful that you have taken the time to share your experience with us.

We are so pleased that certain aspects of your stay with us met with your expectations, we are happy you enjoyed the use of our stunning beach area, and we are happy to hear that our excellent entertainment team helped make your stay even more enjoyable.

However, we are disappointed to hear that other aspects of your stay with us did not meet with your expectations, we are very surprised to hear that certain members of our team did not offer you the level of service that we endeavor to provide, we thank you for bringing this to our attention and will certainly pass on these comments to the relevant departments.

We appreciate all of your feedback, both positive and otherwise as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon

Kind regards

Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just back from 10 days here! From the moment we arrived we were greeted with champagne and whisked through to the preferred club for canapés! The staff are amazing, particularly Dorka on the preferred beach, Locero our concierge, Willian at breakfast and David in the French restaurant! There is plenty of food choice and a different buffet theme each night. French was definitely our favourite restaurant, but all were pretty good, although we didn't try the Dominican one.

The maids do a fabulous job cleaning the rooms changing towels day and night.

Would definitely recommend upgrading to the preferred club as pool and beach were much quieter here and it was lovely to have the afternoon canapés in the club area and breakfast over looking the sea instead of in the buffet! Also free wifi in the rooms, however this was a little hit or miss, however it was great for our two teenagers!

Bavaro splash were an amazing company we used for a day out (booked through the tour office on site)$99 p person for a day of snuba(like scuba but no licence needed and from 8 years plus), snorkelling and driving speed boats, fantastic!

We also spent an afternoon in the spa having massages which were great.

All in all apart from a delayed flight home, our holiday was great and I would highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Upgrade to preferred club and don't forget your mosquito spray!
3 Thank Jackie20056
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Jackie

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us, we are so pleased to discover that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations,

It is great to know that you enjoyed being a member of our Preferred Club and we are pleased you enjoyed your spa treatments, '

Please come back and visit us soon

Chief Concierge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ocean Blue & Sand
#13 of 25 in Bavaro
4.0 of 5 bubbles 12,834 reviews
Now Larimar Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!