“Hope your vacation was as terrific as ours was.”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Four couples meet for the first time a week ago on a van ride from Punta Cana airport to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach. The conversation is dominated by shared concern about the widely divergent reviews we've read. First, I am thrilled to say we all had reservations and rooms ready when we arrived. The others may post their experiences, which I believe will be favorable, based on our discussion on the return airport trip.

As for my SO and I, the reception staff who greeted us could not have been nicer. I believe that when I am a guest in another country, it is encumbent on me to speak a few words in their language. As we checked in, I was able to explain in simple Spanish that we were looking forward to this special anniversary vacation. The receptionist suggested she would give us a very special room, and did she ever! We were in a newer building, in a completely updated suite, beautiful and well-located within the resort. Even the bellman seemed surprised at how lovely and spacious our rooms were. The king bed was great, and we slept generally well all week.

The next morning, at the suggestion of one of our new acquaintances, we booked all three of our ala carte restaurant evenings. As vegetarians, we didn't spring for the lobster dinner at Atlantis, but everyone we spoke with said it was great. Our favorite was 25, where the food, service and overall experience were top notch. The only downside is that it is indoors. La Roca is beautiful and beachside, where we found the food fine, but unremarkable; the same for the Mexican place, although there, our server was delightful. In all cases, the servers understood "vegetarian" reasonably well and helped accommodate us. We found a favorite corner at a window in La Terraza, the main buffet, and tipped $1-2 at each meal there in response to help bringing us beer or wine when the glasses at the self-serve beverage station ran out, which was frequently at the height of the dinner hour, or keeping the cafe con lechwe coming in the morning. The servers in our area were genuinely responsive and happy to see us. They seemed to enjoy our feeble attempts at Spanish and took the opportunity to practice a little English. My expectations for a buffet are generally low, but the omelet station and fresh fruit at breakfast and fresh salad bar at lunch satisfied me quite well. My honey developed a fondness for fresh, hot donuts. He did experience stomach discomfort for a couple days during our stay, although we did not pin down the source. The wood-fired pizza at the outdoor pizza joint was always fresh and tasty, and the place is open until 7 am. For $45/pp you can upgrade to VIP service for three days minimum, which we were told provided in room beer stock and access to a premium liquor bar. We were fine with the standard fare, and bartenders were happy to adjust strength up or down and to fill the large plastic cups we brought from home. Refilling extra water bottles was easy at every bar, and the in-room water was always sealed DaSani, in our experience. We did buy off the wine list at the ala carte restaurants, and enjoyed that.

Other reviews helped us prepare: we snorkeled with our own gear just off the beach, and a few pieces of bread from the buffet were all it took to attract a variety of fish. The beach IS beautiful, and we had no trouble finding chairs either in the quieter section near the towel station or in the more active "animation" area near La Terraza, depending on our mood, both steps away from a bar. We did not feel pressured to take part in activities at the beach. We did have a massage one day, and while mine was great, his aggravated soreness in his neck and shoulder that was really uncomfortable. And we met some lovely German, French and Italian guests, along with Americans from the Northeast and Midwest. Most of the evening shows were not quite to our taste, but others seemed to enjoy them. A steady chatter among Americans, at least, was that the scathing reviews did not seem to bear out our realities, even those who were in the dated bungalows.

The trip to Saona, which I'd done once before from a Punta Cana resort, was fun. The beach there is breathtaking and the Viva section was clean and comfortable. The trip leader and I shared our sadness at the decimation of the starfish population at the "natural bath tub" stop, due to the hundred of visitors daily. Our vacation objective was no-agenda R and R, so we didn't take other excursions. We did walk the Domincus Beach-Palace property end to end, and bargain-shopped at the beach shock market beyond the Palce as well as the village shops outside the main resort gate. We did not try the Italian place just outside that's mentioned in several reviews, but it was recommended to us by other guests as a reasonably priced and delicious alternative. We really liked the relatively intimate size: big enough to have numerous amenities and activities, but small enough to be within a comfortable stroll of everything.

We certainly would consider a return trip, although our "suite" experience may have spoiled us! We got home today and couldn't wait to post.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good breeze. The cabanas don't have windows other than the door wall, which...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Margaret M
VivaWyndhamDBeach, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guests,

We really appreciate your excellent review about your recent stay in our facilities. It is our pleasure and we are more than glad to read all the positive points mentioned that will help future guest to choose our hotel for their vacations. We are looking forward to have you back here and be able to provide you the best memories.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (8,162)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was nervous before going due to all the negative reviews! But I just got back a few days ago and had a great time. I rented a ocean front bungalow and it was so cute. A little dated but I didn't mind bc I was steps from a bar and the water. My friend rented a room in the main hotel and the rooms were updated and nice. The food was avg, I wasn't expecting a 5 star gourmet meal given what I was paying but the food was actually good. The grounds are stunning! Esp at the far end near the Atlantis restaurant. Beautiful rocky coasts reminds me of the Mediterranean! The disco tech there is def interesting but we had a lot of fun and there's a pizzeria open till really late. The drinks were very strong, and if you want them stronger you just have to ask.... Not sure why ppl were writing they were weak in other posts, ask for more liquor in it then dum dum! We went on a day excursion to soana island and it was beautiful! We all def had a good time and will be back!

Room Tip: Ocean front bungalow for location, main hotel for more comfort and nicer room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank TravelingFoodie3131
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guests,

We really appreciate your excellent review about your recent stay with us. It is our pleasure and we are more than glad to read all the positive points mentioned that will help future guest to choose our hotel for their vacations. We are looking forward to have you back here and be able to provide you the best memories.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I couldn't wait to write my review on this property! I had a wonderful time on this property. I was so nervous about this property after reading reviews I couldn't sleep the last week before my departure. Check in was very smooth, I will say my friend reserved a bungalow which they didn't have available but we didn't make a fuss about it was just grateful they had a room for all of us after reading the reviews from people who had been moved to another resort. The food is typical resort food but not bad at all. The property is very clean! Most of the staff don't speak English which sucks but we manage to communicate with the assistance of my husband who speaks Spanish. This resort caters to Italians and the French which is obvious but didn't bother me much. The staff is not really friendly if you don't speak they language but again I was ok because my husband helped with the language barrier. Over all if your looking for relaxation, peace and a beautiful beach you will fall love with the Viva. I'm spite of all the negative reviews this resort is extremely beautiful and very well kept meeting my expectations. I travel outside the U.S. at least twice a year for over ten years and I'm extremely anal and I must say I was impressed with this property. Go knowing if you don't speak French, Italian, Spanish you will have a slight language barrier but other than that you will fall in love..!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Trakida M
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guests,

We can’t find the words to express our happiness for your beautiful comments of our property and as well you recent stay with us.
It is our pleasure and we are more than glad to read all the positive points mentioned that will help future guest to choose our hotel for their vacations. Also we do appreciate you bringing to our attention the language barrier issue that you and your party had to faced. This comments have been brought to our GM attention and we hope that in your next visit to our hotel you can be able to experience non language barrier at all.

We are looking forward to have you back here and be able to provide you the best memories and services ever.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've recently traveled to vw db for my birthday and I can't say much about the resort due to the fact that when I arrived they were overbooked and had to be sent to Be Live Hotel which we were told is a 5 star sister hotel (far from the truth). We were told someone from viva wyndham would come to Be Live hotel to give us a complimentary stay for the same amount of days with fight included but no one from the viva wyndham hotel showed. We tired to have someone from Be live hotel contact them but since they worked together all we were told was that someone shows up from vw db everyday. Unfortunately we were 1 of 6 that were overbooked that day alone.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jmendez3178

Dear Guest,

Thanks for bringing to our attention your feedback regarding your recent visit to Bayahibe and some overbooking issues face by you during this stay. it’s sad to know that we didn’t meet your expectation with our services, and not just that, to know that your holidays weren’t comfortable at all.

We respect all your comments and points before mentioned since our goal is to offer our guest the best service and satisfaction.

Receive our deepest apologies and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to have you back again in our facilities like our mutual guest and offer you our best attentions. Please contact our customer care department to the following e-mail address so they can offer you the Certificate that you was not able to receive during your stay. customercaredominicus@vivaresorts.com

Best regards

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I visited with 5 other friends the first week of December, 2013. Chosen by one of my friends as we know the trapeze artist there (who is AMAZING, by the way! yay Libby!) but would not have been my first choice of resort and our visit confirmed my thoughts.
I will start with the good points:
The beach is wonderful. Lovely sand. Lovely water. Clean. Lots of chairs so you never get stuck without one.
The food wasn't too bad for an all-inclusive and while not the best food I've ever had, it definitely wasn't the worst and there was a good selection daily and good rotation of dishes.
The grounds are well-kept and quite beautiful and while most of the shops are quite pricey, there is one that has reasonably priced souvenirs.
Bad points:
I swear I never got drunk once there. Not sure what was going on, as my friends seemingly were getting drunk, but I couldn't stomach the mixed drinks, the wine was horrendous and for some reason the beer just wasn't doing its job. The few times I managed to get a mixed drink down I felt NOTHING. I am guessing they don't have a very great alcohol to mix ratio.
While none of the staff was unpleasant, I didn't have any outstanding experiences with any of them like I might have at another resort. They did their jobs, but I didn't feel terribly welcomed. I have read other reviews that commend the entertainment crew, but quite frankly most of them annoyed the hell out of me.
While this is not the fault of the resort, I wish we had known beforehand that this resort caters to the European crowd. Most of the staff does not speak English fluently, which is fine, but I really kind of felt "out of it" surrounded by mainly Italians.
The room was adequate, although somewhat outdated and not very clean. When we checked in the sink was dirty as was the full-length mirror. While the staff came in every day and took their tip and replaced the water bottles (which is all that is provided in the fridge, IF you get a fridge at all) the only thing they did in the room was replace towels and toilet paper and make the beds. They did no cleaning at all, from what I could see.
The walls in the rooms are very thin and you can hear everything in the rooms next door. Additionally, our room had a "lovely" view of the mud/garbage pit of a construction zone at the resort building next door. We considered asking for a change of room due to how awful it looked and the fact that the construction started at some ungodly hour in the morning and woke us up, but our other friends were on another floor of the same building as us and we wanted to stay close to them. Couldn't use our balcony the entire time we were there as the construction workers were chipping the stucco off the next door building on a scaffolding that was RIGHT at level with our balcony which for one offered NO privacy as there were workers 5 feet away but it also meant the balcony was continually showered with bits of stucco.
You would think that the resort would take this construction into consideration and not place guests in rooms facing the construction zone.
As a further beef in regards to the rooms, we had all specifically asked for an upgrade in rooms (3 rooms in total) as we were assured these rooms came with fridges and bathtubs. One of the three rooms did NOT have a fridge and NONE had bathtubs (only showers with a half glass door that allowed water to get all over the bathroom floor so that you had to put towels all over or else slip and break your neck).
Additionally, there are no coffee makers in the room and the provided water bottles are clearly refilled bottles (seal is broken on caps and water levels vary from bottle to bottle) which makes one question if the bottles are cleaned properly in between?
My last gripe is that the towel station is nowhere near the beach or the main pool which is annoying and makes no sense (never mind that the towel staff is somewhat surly when you finally get there).
In all.....if you get an amazing deal to go here and are fluent in at least one (and preferably several) European languages, by all means snap the deal up but make sure you inquire about construction at the resort. Otherwise.....go somewhere else as I am fairly certain the great beach doesn't make up for the rest of the inadequacies here.

Room Tip: Ensure that you ask about any renovations going on and request a room facing AWAY from that building...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have just returned from a week's stay at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach resort and wanted to write a very honest review about my experience whilst it was still fresh in my mind. Despite reading a variety of recent negative reviews on the resort I decided to proceed and stay at the resort as I usually read reviews with a 'pinch of salt' and find that my experience is very often different to the other reviewers. However, on this one occasion my experience at VW DB resort completely mirrored the experiences of a large number of recent reviewers and to sum what lets this resort down is the absolute appalling customer service and in particular the unhelpfulness and poor attitude of the check in and guest services staff.

Customer Service - What can I say. This was truly shockingly bad from the very outset. For a so called 4 star resort I had expected better. When I had initially made my booking via Hotels.com a few months prior I immediately emailed the resort directly to ask them for a list of all the inclusive items included in my booking, to arrange a transfer to/from Punta Cana airport, a list of diving schools they recommend and a room request. I did not receive any reply for several weeks and then sent the email again and still no reply over a month later. I then called the resort directly who then directed me to reservations who told me on various occasions there was no one to around to assist me nor was anyone available who could understand English that I could speak to. I called back a few days later and during working hours where someone directed me to Guest Services who then told me they had not received my email. I then asked for another email address to direct my questions to and then sent my previous email to this email address. Still a few days later no reply. I called back and then someone I spoke to in Guest Services said they had received it and they will email me back immediately. Finally a few days later someone only partially responded to my email and only with transfer details but at that point I had given up in following up on my other questions/requests as it was only less than 2 weeks before I was due to stay there so I just left it.

Check in staff - This process was certainly a struggle especially if you do not speak Spanish or Italian as the check in staff spoke minimal English and were not able to understand any of our questions. When we checked in, we were immediately told that our Oceanfront Bungalow which we had booked was not available and that we would have to stay in a room in the Palace for 2 nights before moving to our bungalow. No explanation was given as to why this happened despite me querying why this happened as I had booked months ago. This really should not have been a big deal but I was disappointed by the lack of apology or explanation and obviously annoyed that we would have to unpack, pack and unpack 2-3 days into our holiday and moving from one end of the resort to another. Also a very poor explanation was given about how the restaurant booking system worked and we were immediately directed to the Guest Services desk across the reception. In addition, the check-in staff failed to tell us that 2 out of the 4 plastic cards they gave us was for obtaining beach towels on the beach and we only found this out after we turned up at the beach towel kiosk without our cards. To sum, the information provided by the check in staff upon check in was non-existent and I had only found out certain information after prompting them. The guest service staff were also not very forthcoming in providing information that I had asked. Answers were one word and required both my husband and I to ask for clarification. It really was like trying to squeeze blood from a stone and were the most unhelpful and unfriendliest Guest service staff I have ever encountered.

Another example of the attitude of the staff was when our beach towels and my husband's beach hat was stolen from our beach loungers in the afternoon whilst we were sorting out our luggage to deal with our room change as VW DB had over-booked this room. So 2 things to note here is that beach towels do get stolen from your loungers. Of course you leave items at your own risk but pretty much most guests leave their towels behind when they go to the bar or escape for a while to eat their lunch so we certainly found it strange how our towels got stolen despite everyone on the beach being cramped like sardines. One thing that VW do not tell you is that if you lose your towel or indeed even if it gets stolen you have to pay USD$20 to obtain a new towel card. When we found out that our towels were stolen we immediately reported it to the Check in desk only for the Hotel Manager to immediately say that we have to pay $20. No apologies or sympathy that these things happen but immediately said that we shouldn't have left our towels and hat behind and we would still have to pay $20. All he cared about was that we would have to pay $20. We later then found our towels and hat dumped on a chair later that afternoon which was very strange. However, we did notice that during the later part of the day we did see some people blantantly take left over towels on the loungers who had perhaps had lost or had their towels stolen themselves. So beware these things do happen and the resort does not offer any sympathy or help if this happens. You are on your own.

Another issue we had was that the hotel arranged our transfers with an external company called Nelo Tours. When making this booking via email I was asked for my inbound and outbound flight details which I provided. On the day before we were due to fly back home we received a note through our door saying that our pick up was at 12.30pm which we thought was a bit too early and wanted to allow enough time for us to have lunch before we left. We then went to the Guest Services desk to ask if we could change the pick up time to 1pm, a simple request which we have done plenty of times on previous trips. The Guest services rep told us that this was not possible as they cannot change the times with no explanation as to why. He then told us that it is a Sunday and that no one at Nelo Tours works on Sundays despite them providing transfers for guests even on the Sunday. My husband then asked if they were a big company and he said yes and he said so despite them being a large company they cannot provide a telephone number so even we ourselves could change the time, to which he replied no you can't. He made no attempt to try and help us and just said it was not possible to change the time at all. I think this pretty much sums the attitude of the staff there and they are unwilling to help to assist with any specific guest requests.

Food - Now for something positive to say about the resort. The choice of a la carte restaurants, the main buffet and the Pizzeria certainly offered a variety of eating options. The a la carte restaurants have to be pre-booked and you can only eat at 3 restaurants of our choice of 6 restaurants once per your stay. This information was only unwillingly provided at the Guest Services desk and not at check in. Whilst the service was overall superb at each of the restaurants we ate at the food was only mediocre with the meats and fish typically being over-cooked and served dry and cold but having been to the Caribbean on a number of occasions I know not to expect gourmet food at these all inclusive resorts and set my expectations accordingly. The main buffet offered a variety of food each day and was different for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Overall for buffet food the quality was average whilst the variety on offer was impressive. The highlight for my husband and I was the Pizzeria (situated in the Palace). The freshly made pasta (with a choice of spaghetti or fuselli or tomato based or cream based sauce) and the fire oven pizzas were very tasty and the great thing is that it is a buffet style in that you can eat as much as you want.

Facilities - VW (Beach and Palace resorts) have access to a large stretch of beach compared to other resorts which is a definite plus if you fancy a nice stroll on the beach during the day or night or if you fancy lounging in different areas during your stay. One negative is that the beach is overfilled with beach loungers and the beaches feel cramp but my favourite part of the beach is by the main pool and beach bar by VW Palace resort. The water here is also the clearest and has less rocks in the ocean. Overall there is easy access to a number of pools and beach bars throughout the resort especially if you want to use the toilet or want to get a drink or some food. There are also 2 places where you can take out hobby cats, canoes on the (which are included in the all inclusive option as are all non-motorised watersports) and for non-water sport lovers there is an archery section, tennis courts and table football/table tennis in the main VW DB building. So to sum there is something for everyone.
Entertainment - VW DB offers a free show (mainly dance orientated) each night in the main building which on the whole were highly entertaining so I highly recommend going along to these. During the day the resort reps try to hassle guests on the beach to participate in beach volleyball, one of their dance classes or yoga classes during the day which is also highly entertaining and gives you a good workout in the hot heat.

Rooms - Both resorts are jam packed with rooms. It seems that some of the rooms are incredibly dated and could do with some maintenance or a lick of paint whilst some rooms we could see walking around the resort looked brand new/newly rennovated and the photos of which VW use on the various hotel websites to 'sell' their rooms. So beware - the room you may be allocated may not look like the one you see online. Our first room (before we got moved into the oceanfront bungalow that we had originally booked) was one of the 'tired rooms' facing the beach/ocean. It was incredibly dated, paint was coming off and looked like it had not been cleaned properly in a while. In addition, there were some suspicious looking stains on the sheets. Despite this, we were happy to overlook the flaws as we simply just wanted to enjoy the holiday and did not want the hassle of changing rooms again before moving to the bungalow. It was spacious with 2 double beds and were thankful that the AC was working and was in a quiet part of the building and were able to get a few nights good sleep to shake off the jet lag. The oceanfront bungalow was even more disappointing. Tired looking, incredibly small and not sound proof at all (you can hear guests in the adjoining bungalow talking very clearly) where I had to resort to wearing ear plugs to get a good night's sleep. On the plus side, the bungalows are situated near to the main VW DB building and near to the main buffet area.

To summarise, this resort is adequate if you want a cheap holiday in the DR with decent food and have access to a nice beach. But this is anything but luxurious. Being non Spanish or Italian speaking we struggled with obtaining any clear communication on the issues raised above with customer services, guest services or at check in. I would warn future travellers who do not speak these languages to expect communication issues regarding any specific or non-standard requests. From our experience we can certainly say that language was a barrier in the communication with only pure English speaking guests as we could clearly see these staff having much longer and enthusiastic guests who either spoke Spanish or Italian. This in combintation of the poor attitude of these employees was a real disappointment. This really is not a resort for pure English speaking tourists. If anyone from VW Senior Management are reading this, do provide additional hospitality training to your guest services and check in staff in addition to having more fluent English speaking staff onsite that can deal effectively with English speaking guests. This is the one major thing from my experience which lets the resort down and my comments certainly echo what has been written recently from other guests so I hope my comments above are taken into consideration.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VDB2014_04
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.
We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Best regards

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had a fabulous time here!! We stayed the first week in February 2014. Great weather all day, I'd bring a light jacket for the evening if we go back. We would definitely stay here again!! Beautiful property, not crowded at all, plenty of room at the pools and at the beach. We spent most of our pool time at the Club Lookea end. We had an oceanfront bungalow. Yes, there were updates that could have been made to the room, and yes the pillows were a bit lumpy and there were scratchy towels, but WHO CARES if you are twenty steps from the pool and ocean!? Plenty of fun things to do at the resort: water aerobics, all kinds of water activities including snorkeling literally right in front of the resort, no need to take a taxi anywhere! Catamaran sailing lesson (small hobie cat) stand up paddle boards, kayaks, windsurfing, a freakin' trapeze, beach volleyball, ping pong, bocce ball, scuba (which we did, the Discovery Dive is totally worth it)! Plenty to do if you get bored just laying around.
I think most of the bad reviews come from whiny Americans (and yes, I am American). Most of the people at this resort are from Italy, Germany, Canada, and France. These languages plus Spanish of course, are heard more often than English. Most of the resort employees spoke varying degrees of English (very good at the front desk where payment occurs and this is most important), and we speak a little Spanish so we didn't think language barriers were a problem. It actually seemed quieter around the resort without loud Americans everywhere....
I thought the food was good, especially at the dinner restaurants that require a reservation. (If you can eat at both sides of the resort, Beach vs. Palace, the Palace buffet is MUCH better, and Bambu is a must eat at.) The buffets may carry things that seem odd to an American, but still plenty of options for everyone. Lots of delicious food! We did not eat at Atlantis, we heard the $20 wasn't really worth it, and the other restaurants were amazing. Especially loved the mexican place, viva la cafe was good, the Mediterranean place was delicious, and we got into 25 which was the favorite of our group. Get the filet!!
Please don't let the bad reviews deter you from going. I was very nervous at first I admit, but we had a fantastic time and would totally go back. No, this place isn't top of the line luxury, but with beautiful blue waters, hot temperatures, and tons of activities for the price we got, I have no complaints! We were asleep early each night, but they do have shows and a club for dancing. We caught one show and it was a lot of fun, wish we would have taken naps and gone out for more!
Be sure to book your shuttle to the hotel from the airport through the DB resort directly. We did have a mishap when I called Wyndham in general, and apparently it never got through.... There are tons of taxis looking for business, so we did not have a problem finding a ride. It's about $120 bucks to the resort, but we haggled for a lower price.

Wish we had never left!! So beautiful!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends