“Refreshing”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Columbus, Ohio
“Refreshing”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This trip was very laid back and relaxing, the staff was super friendly, and the food was so delicious. We had to change rooms because of preference, nothing wrong with previous room, and we received a suite which was amazing. We did have an issue with a/c not working in that room but after going to front desk about it, they got someone right on it because when we went back a few hours later that day it was nice and cold. I loved the ambiance of it all, we walked down the beach to where it was no longer resort beach and met a local business owner that has a cool little shop on the beach, he was so pleasant to us that he made a bracelet for me to have and gave my husband a awesome necklace for free. The best part was when he asked if I wanted a coconut and he had a whole big coconut, used a machete to chop off the top of the coconut and stuck 2 straws in it for us which was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I loved the look of the bungalows close to the beach and the tiki umbrellas with a table underneath to set your drink and enjoy the cool ocean breeze. I have so many great memories from this place I will never forget the awesome experience.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the theater stage and main pool/bar area would be quieter if you like to go to be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Srmzor1
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Guest

It is a pleasure for us to read your positive comments regarding your stay with us and we feel very glad to know that we offered you a pleasant stay in our resort.

We hope to have you back soon to be able to provide you the best memories. Thank you very much for choosing us.

Best Regards

Aida Cabrera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was in this hotel with my cousin from May 5, 2014 to May 12, 2014, 8 days 7 nights. I had upgraded to a bungalow, the surprise came to us when we arrived to the hotel after 5 hour flight from Chicago to Punta Cana. The bungalow I had reserved, had no refrigerator, the lights in the room werent working.. I went to the front desk to report this problem, and was told a bungalow never comes with a refrigerator, on the web page everything is completely different. They downgraded me to a superior room, close to the lobby in which I have a condition that I can't walk too far because I have a severe back and knee problems. When they changed my room, they made me sign a waiver stating that they are not responsible for anything that would happen to me during my stay! When I got my room we didn't have a phone the entire time that we were there, the refrigerator wasn't working, being that I had back from walking problems I need water! This location is the epitome of a false advertisement!

Room Tip: do not stay at this location!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank rita151
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations.
In reference to your comment related to the Garden View Bungalow, it seems that unfortunately some misunderstanding occurred because on our web page the Garden View Bungalow do not included in it description the refrigerator. We are so sorry for this inconvenience faced by you and we want to sincere apologies.

Your comments are very important for u and are use by our Management in order to improve our services.

We would like to have a second opportunity to recover your trust in our products, for which we invite you to visit us in the near future.

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I just loved it...
So easy going, bungalow are the very best!
The beach is spectacular, crystal clear and I can assure you one of the best of the island (I have been in all of them)
What I liked the mos was the food; the hotel is highly populated by italian tourists and I think this is the main reason why the food standards are so high. The pasta is made right in front of you with a super fresh veriety of sauce; real parmesan cheese is freely offered and at breakfast you can find all kind of yumminess (including healthy oatmeal with no sugar)
Of course for me the quality of coffee was a star point!
It is an awesome environement for families and couples
I definitely loved the ambiance too. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lmiss
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, it is a pleasure fir us to know you spent a great time in our properties.

About your comments regarding the coffe have been seriously considered.

Hope you could have the chance to return and let us offer you our best attentions.

Best Regards

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

First I must admit that it was my first vacation strictly with friends. Any hotel with all inclusive drinks/food was going to be great for ten 20 year olds.

As soon as we walked in I thought it was a beautiful resort, especially for the price we paid. It is huge, and those who stay on the "Beach" side can also use the pools etc from "Palace". Everything seemed clean. No problems with the rooms although if I booked again I would get a bungalow. One of our friends booked a bungalow, and it was great! Cold a/c in the rooms, good tvs, bathrooms, etc. The food was about a 3/5 but the fact that you can get something to eat at any time of the day or night is awesome. Drinks are alright but a but watered down. I would suggest just getting rum based drinks and ask for Brugal rum.

Now by far the best part of our stay was the night life. The animation staff always encourages guests to dance and party and it worked! We had non stop partying for 5 nights starting in the afternoon until 2:30 am. After the club, "La Locura", closes everyone heads over to the pizza place which also has beer on tap. Overall just a really amazing place for younger crowd. I can see how older guests might get annoyed of loud music all night.

Want to party for a great price, go to Viva Wyndham Dominicus!

Room Tip: Go with a Bungalow!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Andres L
Dear Guest

It’s a pleasure for us to read your positive comments. We are very glad to know that you and your friends spent a great vacation and you had a pleasant experience in our facility.

We hope to have you back soon to be able to provide you the best memories and also provide you that room you like. Thank you very much for choosing us.

Dubendorf, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

stay of 5 nights, 3 people, April 21, 2014:
arrogance and the none-focus on customer service, especially experienced at the reception desk just after arrival messed up the thrill of anticipation of this stay. It took us more than two hours to get finally the room. we had to fight for the booked bungalow and did not want to be "upgraded" for a junior suite. Looking today at the room prices I need to point, that it even wasn’t an upgrade but only a “change of room”. Today’s prices for two is identical for both categories of room. very disappointing, that the information was given to us after the settlement of payment by credit card. we picked-out this village due to the fact, that the hotel was offering bungalows. Booking has been made a month before departure. we wanted to spend a few days in a resort just next to this beach. and this was the reason for having chosen Viva Wyndham. if the hotel management is not able to train their staff for appropriate overbooking handling and insures quality control of behavior an manner’s at that desk this hotel does not deserves 4 stars.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Angela A
Dear Visitor,
Thanks for bringing to our attention your feedback regarding your recent stay in our property, it’s sad to know that we didn’meet your expectation with our services, and not just that, to know that our reception staff was not helpful or friendly at all.
We apologies for any misunderstanding regarding the room categories and for not offering you since the very first time the room booked by you.

We respect all your comments and points before mentioned and for this reason some improvement project have started in order to give to all our guest the best service and satisfaction.
Receive our deepest apologies and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to have you back again in our facilities and offer you our best attentions and services.

At your service,

Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Booked 5 nights for myself, my husband and 12 year old son at the Viva Wyndham Beach before reading all of the negative reviews about overbooking and rude staff. I always try to take negative reviews with a grain of salt and thought "how bad can it be?" Ha! Got there and was told our bungalow was not available and they were "upgrading" us to the sister "4 star" hotel, The Palace - they assured us we could have our bungalow the next day - which I only believed after it actually happened. Inconvenient to arrange the next day, and moving was a drag but worth it. The experience made the first 24 hours of our vacation quite stressful. The bungalow was "rustic" but fine and had Adirondack style chairs to sit outside under the covered thatched roof - which we really liked.

The staff in the reception area are beyond unhelpful. Language barriers aside, I felt like I was inconveniencing them to make any type of request or even to schedule our dinners. There also tended to be a line of unhappy guests so you had to wait. I think the staff are bombarded with complaints (not just by Americans) 24/7 and they don't even try to make it a pleasant experience to interact with them.

The reception area over at the Palace was much nicer (and newer) and yes friendlier - I guess that is why they get the 4 stars. There was a nice sitting area with a cappuccino/espresso bar in the morning and alcoholic drinks in the evening. The evening we were there - waiting to go into the buffet dinner, there was a live band which was quite pleasant and festive. We did not care for our room over at the palace. The door abutted an ugly wall with an opening to a parking lot. The sliding glass door opened to a sitting area with plastic chairs and a bleak "garden view".

The plus side of our room mess up was that we got wrist bands that allowed us to go to The Palace a-la-cart Italian restaurant without paying the $10 per person up-charge. Hands down - the best food we had at the resort. We liked it so much we went back a 2nd night. The eggplant appetizer and the tiramisu were both delicious. We also tried the Mexican (avoid) and La Roca (beautiful setting - pesto pasta was good but didn't care for much else).

The beach was beautiful. We stayed over to the side where it was less crowded. My son loved playing in the waves. Sand bars of white sand - very few rocks. To get a good spot at the beach (I needed shade) you had to get up fairly early and place your beach towels on some chairs. I didn't mind this as it allowed me to get a couple of cappuccinos to bring back to the bungalow. Again, the staff at the beach shack were just not very friendly. After traveling all day, getting put in the wrong room, we walked over to get our beach towels (around 3pm) and were told "no towels-come back tomorrow." They also don't allow children to use the kayaks. Which in hindsight might be a good policy because I'm sure you couldn't count on them in any type of emergency. My husband watched two of the guys sink their "rescue boat" and when my husband tried to tell the other guys still on land, he was all but ignored until they saw the two guys waving their arms in the water. It was actually quite entertaining to watch. "Bozo's to the Rescue". It went on for several hours. And then the next day we got to watch part II as they tried to fix the engine.

We did ultimately have a nice vacation - but I would not return to this resort. If you have already booked this hotel then you can probably make the best of it. Just be prepared for some frustrations. If you are still trying to decide - DON"T DO IT! They don't deserve our hard earned travel dollars. I'm sure there are better options - even if you have to pay a bit more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Rebecca J
Dear Guest

We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend you vacations and for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay, but at the same time we are quite distressed to read your disappointment and to know that we were not at the height of your expectations.

We want you to know that each one of your comments are very important for us, since they offer us the invaluable and constantly opportunity to detect in the areas we need to improve to get the total satisfaction of each one of our visitors.

We sincerely thank you and hopefully have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future and so you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful.

Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My daughter and I visited this resort and we had an excellent time. From check in to check out. We had a garden view when we got there but it had a king bed and we didn't want to sleep together plus we wanted to upgrade to VIP any way. We received a beach view bungalow and the drinks in VIP was premium alcohol. We brought our own cups due to their cups are very small, but in VIP you get regular drink glasses and better drinks. We ate at Atlantis and the food was awesome and we ate at La Roca and it was excellent too. Overall we ate, slept and drank and that was our goal.

Room Tip: Upgrade to VIP and you will have what you want. They said they didn't have beach front and I gav...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank pattywedge
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent stay in our property, we are more than glad to read all of your positive comments and also glad to know that we are reaching our goal which is the total satisfaction of each one of our visitor. is more than an honor have guest like you who appreciate our services.

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations.

Aida Cabrera
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!