“Very nice, relaxing environment”

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a great vacation to DR. I can not say enough how Grande the hotel is. From the time I stepped out of the car I enjoyed the decor and the heart felt attention given. Alberto and Cesar checked us in, which was great because they were two of the few that spoke great English. We arrived early so went to have lunch in the buffet the food was ok, we tried most things some not good but usually had no trouble finding something that we could eat. My room was in building 3 which was very close to the pool and the beach. My only complaint regarding the lack of beach and pool chairs is that inconsiderate people would occupy chairs all day long even when they were doing other activities. I noticed by 10am all the chairs at the pool were taken and maybe only a handful of people in or around the pool. If people would be thoughtful and only reserve chairs when they were actually at the pool the lack of chairs would not be an issue. that is my only complaint and that is no fault of the resort's. Hats off to Andres, and Sobeida who took great care of us in the restaurants. Also Lenny and Smiley were very entertaining. Only went to one show the Lion king was very good. Never made it to the disco was exhausted by the end of day. Utilized the room service daily and the mixed sandwich was simply a grilled ham and cheese but really good.

• Stayed: April 2014
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we thank you for taking time to post a review about the IBEROSTAR Hacienda Dominicus Hotel and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive lines referring the variety of our gastronomy and friendliness and excellent service of our staff. We have congratulated Alberto, Cesar, Andres, Sobeida, Lenny and Smiley for delivering you the best service.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you might have experienced during your stay. We welcome your feedback concerning the reservation of sunbeds at the beach. We have delivered these and all suggestions from your publication to our departmental heads so we can work together and offer the best experience to our valuable costumers.
We kindly invite you to visit us once again and to contact us before your next visit.
With regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (9,248)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We've just arrived back from a week long stay and we have to agree with the other reviewers that this hotel is just wonderful.
We flew from Lisbon to Punta Cana and we were the only couple on our flight to come to this resort. A good transfer with one other couple and their teenage daughter in an air-conditioned taxi van which only took around 30/40 mins. The other couple went on to GBP and when we shared the transfer back they were disappointed in their choice. A huge sigh of relief as we were originally thinking of going there but were put off by the River Chalon flowing into the sea in front of the hotel which makes the water murky. The other couple confirmed that the water was murkey every day.
Check in speedy (we were the only ones!!!). Like others I also emailed the hotel and asked for villa 4 - ended up top floor corner room in villa 3 which is right next door so near both the pool and the beach. Lovely room, spotless both bathroom and bedroom, plasma TV, bar etc. Shampoo and shower gel dispensers in the shower and lots of miniature toiletries. And here is my ONLY complaint - ALL the plugs in the room were 110V so nothing we brought with us from Portugal would work - my hair curlers, the camera battery charger - nothing. We asked at reception and she told us that all the plugs were 110V. I was very disappointed - needless to say I wasn't able to do anything with my frizzy hair all week and once the battery went on the camera, that was it (luckily only went on the last day). To charge my mobile phone I had to leave it at reception. This was our 5th visit to the DR but only 1st to Iberostar (stayed in Iberostar Cape Verde twice before) and in all the other DR hotels there was always one plug that let us use our european appliances. Maybe the management could consider this option for the future.
Apart from that, we had a fantastic week. Water was lovely and warm every day, although a little rough at the beginning of the week, which is quite unusual for this area. Were up early every morning - 6.30/6.45 as we had a large bird outside our room who decided that if he was up, everyone had to be too!!! We didn't mind as we never needed an alarm clock and had had breakfast and were on the beach most days by 8!! We did have to go down and 'reserve' a palota and beds every day as that's what everyone does, and when in Rome..........
Food and drink were great all week. Service in the main restaurant was good, although better in some areas than others - try and find Devi and his area - back right side and you'll be in good hands. We ate just once at the El Colonial and had grilled lobster which was really nice.
The animation team are great - as in most of these all inclusives they work really long hours but are always cheerful and dancing around.
Congratulations to all the staff and management for the wonderful hotel they run and for making our holiday one that we will always remember. We had a brilliant time and are definitely planning to return next year for another fabulous week of R & R.

3  Thank Gill C

Dear Guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Hacienda Dominicus for your vacations and for sharing with us and with the online community your experience.
We are thankful for your positive and motivating publication referring the beauty of our accommodations, our beach, variety of gastronomy and exquisite drinks and the excellent service which ensured you a memorable stay as it is our goal in IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts.
We are looking forward to welcome you back, please contact us before your next visit,
With best regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Ive been 4 different All Inclusive Resorts several times, In Punta Cana, another AI in La Romana, and 2 in Mexico, and I can honestly say, Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus stands out from them all on the list. I visited back in April 2012, and still think of the times I've had here, I did not catch a "bug" all drinks were refreshing, food was great, I LOVED that they had authentic dominican queso frito (fried cheese) at the buffet area for breakfast. The property was HUGE and my room was far from everything but thats ok got to see and appreciate the grounds and peacocks (he was LOUD), precious flamengos, and the pool was clean all the time.
There is only two things I can think of that come to mind that I noticed, The Sports Lounge was a little dated the pool table was broken, to the point if you made a pocket the ball would fall right through. and by the light tower bar where you should walk with sandals, I stepped on a couple splinters on the rocks in the area
But did the ruin my experience? HELL NO, I stll had a drink in my hand while I went to the medic as they took it out for me enjoying my stay while we were there and went right back to the beach
Overall such an excellent resort and I hope to be back soon

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Henry E

Dear Guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we thank you for your loyalty when choosing IBEROSTAR Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays, and for taking time to post a review about your recent experience among us.
We want to express you our satisfaction and how honored to acknowledge that our beautiful grounds and exquisite international cuisine have been ensure you a second unforgettable experiences as it is our goal in IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts.
We have delivered your suggestions from your publication to our departmental heads so we can work together and offer the best experience to our valuable costumers.
With regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Was with a group of about 15 for a week, and we all enjoyed the stay but found several "misses". As a side note, this group previously stayed at Viva Wyndham (just about next door), and - to a person - everyone said they impressed with the quality of the food and beverages. Not a sick person from anything all week.

Service is great. The staff are all friendly, right down to the groundskeepers. That said, Spanish is necessary to communicate with most as lots of staff will smile and say, "Si" when they don't have a clue what you've said. Also, we noticed if you went to the front desk and asked for a key to a room, you would get the key without showing any type of ID. Nice beach bar, but service will be mostly self-serve.

Now the down notes. Room was not 5-star. Floors were sandy as if not cleaned every day. Toilet seat was only half on the throne. Sink handle was off. I called the hotel to ask for assistance with transfer from La Romana airport and no one met me. Apparently, this is well known as the instructions were, "show your taxi receipt to the hotel, and they will deduct the charge for the transfer". Taxi ride is $35US. Bring exact change (or get from hotel lobby) because otherwise the driver will say, "No change" and immediately get in his car to drive away.

Not sure if I would stay here again or try Dreams up the street.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank withliberty
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I hesitate to write such a glowing review because I don't want this resort to get so popular that it changes how wonderful it is! We visited Punta Cana last year and wanted to try something different this year. We are so happy that we did! This resort is one of maybe only 5 in the area. It is a 50 minute easy ride from the Punta Cana airport. We booked with Apple Tours and our transportation was easily found after exiting baggage claim. We were one of two couples heading to our resort in a comfortable, air conditioned van.
Check in was easy-there were very few people checking in (we went Tues to Tues) We asked to be switched to building 4 which was closest to the beach on an upper floor. They did try to move us to an upper floor but we decided we liked our quiet 1st floor room facing the back of the building. After being there a while, we realized any of the buildings would be great, but we would not want blg 1 because of it's close proximity to the entertainment and buffet. Although some people with mobility issues may want that. Rooms were quiet-just bird sounds early-peacocks and other types of bird. I loved it, but it was around 5 in morning.
We went the first week of April. This week was extremely quiet. We are morning pool and afternoon/sunset beach people and we never had trouble getting chairs under a palapa-even the front row. There were few if any towels left on the chairs to save seats. This was very different from Punta Cana where everyone saved seats with their towels by 8 am. There were very few English speaking visitors there. We really enjoyed that. It is great to see people from all over enjoying themselves. Most visitors were European-French, German and Italian. If you are young and want crazy nightlife there is a disco, but this resort may be a little quiet for what you want.
We loved the food. If you can't find anything to eat in a buffet like that you are just too picky. It must be extremely hard to please so many people from so many countries. We eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, fish etc. The made to order omelets in the morning were amazing. Our favorite part of visiting the buffet was meeting and visiting with our amazing waiter, Deivi. He was always there to get us anything we needed during our meals. He was attentive and we had so much fun visiting with him. We loved to see his smiling face every day. Most of the bars outside close near sunset (all but the lobby bar) but there is beer and wine at lunch and dinner buffets so you never have a problem finding a drink.
The beach and water has been talked about a lot in reviews. We have been to both-Punta Cana and here and both are different. The beach here is rockier in that it has big smooth rocks under the water. You didn't need water shoes unless you were near the lighthouse.There wasn't a long, long stretch of sandy beach to walk down if that is your thing. If it is, Punta Cana is probably for you. Neither bothered us-the beach was lovely and we enjoyed walking down to the state park with it's rocky coast.
The resorts here are on the Caribbean Sea, not the Atlantic like Punta Cana so the water is calmer. The biggest reason we like this area better is that you watch the beautiful sunsets here. Punta Cana is on the east coast so you get the sunrise. We like a cocktail at sunset better than a cup of coffee at sunrise, but that's just us.
The grounds were immaculate as everyone has said. I love the Dominican architecture. The lobby areas were gorgeous and detailed. I loved to sit on the lounges overlooking the gardens to have my morning tea. There were so many different variety of birds, ducks, etc. The flowering bushes, mango and banana trees, orchids were amazing.
There was a fitness studio which I hadn't read about. It had 4 stationary bikes, 2 elliptical machines and 2 treadmills. There was a weight room and a beautiful room for stretching and classes. My husband preferred to run outside and was told about a path from Dominicus to Bayahibe which was probably 5-6 miles there and back. He met a horse, roosters and a few other people and enjoyed it a lot. Access to the path was tricky as you had to pick it up on the other side of Dominicus. Dominicus is a cute little town-mostly Italian that was walking distance from the resort, but we had trouble finding it at first. The easiest way to find it was exiting our resort to the right (facing the water) Walk behind the little stores on the beach. You walk past Las Palmas restaurant into the Dominicus public beach parking lot. Walk down the road in between the Wyndham and the Iberostar. It looks like it goes nowhere but keep walking-you will eventually find it. The town is behind the Wyndham-not on the water. It has residential and shops and restaurants and is great if you want to go off resort. It was safe. We also loved going to the town of Bayahibe. We picked up the local guagua outside of our gate. Just tell the guard and he will point it out. It is a van and they cram as many people in as possible-we had 19. It was an adventure and very affordable.($1 a piece one way) We took a taxi back at night ($10 one way) The town of Bayahibe is a fishing village and is picturesque. There are restaurants-try the Saona Café. If you want a real taste of the DR, try this.
I could go on forever, but here are a few last tips that we found helpful. We bring an envelope full of dollar bills for tipping. They make so little here and the staff so wonderful. They appreciated it. We tipped for drinks, waitstaff and even the omelet maker. Do you have to do this?-no, they still will treat you wonderfully, but it was something we wanted to do. We didn't see a lot of this. We also bring traveler's mugs to the bar and they will fill it up with whatever drink you want. Then we could take our cold drink down the beach or wherever. We rinsed them out with bottled water.
If you are still reading this long review-you can't make a better choice in the Bayahibe area. The staff, grounds and everything about this resort is superb. We will be back next year!

11  Thank Spisak
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Highlights of this resort include the helpful and friendly staff, all the different birds (including swans, peacocks and flamingos) to be encountered all over the property, the unexpected QUIET for how many people are there, the sailboats and kayaks available for guests, the comfortable rooms, and the beach. Some other reviewers have complained about the deep sand and rocks in the water, but really? It's a real beach in the real world, and the deep sand and the few rocks are no problem whatsoever. And the water is warm and calm. My only small complaints might be that the hot tub water should be at least warm! (It's colder than the pool), and I rated the room as a 4 instead of 5 because we had an air conditioner problem that took a few days to get resolved.

Room Tip: Building 4 is near the pool AND the beach. Plus it's where you make your dinner reservations.