“Paradise Found”

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was our tenth stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. Upon arrival, we were first greeted by the Bell staff, who remembered us by name. Jose genuinely seemed happy to see us. After hugs all around, we proceeded to the reception desk where we were received by Antonia.
Antonia proceeded to check us in with no delay to a room in the building that we had requested. As we filled out the registration, a very nice rum punch was delivered to us. We were then shuttled to our room with our luggage via cart by Jose.
The room was immaculate. We unpacked, set the room safe combination and we were on vacation!
During our stay we were greeted warmly by all the staff, including the General Manager, Mr. Amando Puzo. We saw him numerous times during our stay and he was very friendly and said that we could contact him if we had any concerns or needs that were not met. (This did not happen as everything was simply great!)
Maid Service (Adalaida) was excellent. Bar Service was excellent. Star Friends were funny and entertaining. The Watersports staff and Dressel Diving staff were wonderful as always. The hotel grounds were beautiful.
At the end of our stay everyone asked when we would be returning. The experiences that we have had at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus are such that it is my "second" home.
While maintaining the infrastructure of a large all inclusive resort (not an easy task), the management of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus has been able to find the secret of running a successful enterprise. The attention of all staff members was always geared toward the guests comfort and enjoyment. This will always result in guests returning and recommending the resort to their friends. My thanks for an enjoyable holiday.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Bruce M
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have just returned today from staying at this hotel and had a lovely time.

The hotel is stunning with fountains all around, the gardens beautiful, the rooms relaxing and the staff are an absolute credit to the establishment. The peacocks and flamingos in the grounds (how fancy) just gave an air of how well maintained and stunning this backdrop is.

The pool did look inviting, although I am very much a beach person, but there always seemed to be plenty of places to sit and relax. The only complaints in this department are very small and niggles that hardly seem worth mentioning. It would be nice for there to be a non smoking area of the beach. My ideal holiday is to lie in the sun, getting a lungful of fresh air and listening to the waves. It just wasn't very nice to be taking it all in and then breathing in someone else's fumes (but that is just me, I get quite sensitive to smoke). And the second is just the loud activities on the beach. I always put the whole loud speakers and dancing thing as a poolside activity (probably why I always retreat to the beach for peace and quiet), so it can sometimes just get a bit loud and lively on the beach. Like I say, it is not really a problem, but I went to both ends of the beach and couldn't get away from the noise.

Regarding food, I am not the best person to comment being such a fussy eater so take what I say with a pinch if salt. I don't really get wowed by food, but I managed to find something I could eat each day and I really do want to sing the praises of the staff in the buffet restaurant. Their faces must ache with how much they smile, they are lovely people and nothing is too much trouble for them. I don't normally name people, but in this occasion, Maria Elena really was fantastic (as you walk into the buffet restaurant, sit to you right as you go through the door, this is her area). I must say she is a credit to the hotel!

The rooms are lovely, the minibars are filled apparently every other day, but I did find that it was everyday (maybe leaving a small tip helped? I don't know). There is also an ice machine in the building you can go and fill a cooler with to help keep your drinks cool in the room, a lovely touch.

Again, the only things I could mention for improvement are the number if plug sockets available (they are US plug sockets for info). I had to unplug a coffee machine and lamp so I could use the sockets. Also, there is a large tv in the room, but thought this could easily be replaced by a music docking station which would probably suit more people.

The safes in the rooms are $2 per day, but I do think in the day and age, it should be free and included in the total price. The free wifi in reception is usually very good.

On Tuesdays, the hotel has vendors come into the grounds on an evening, I think from about 5pm onwards. They are very friendly nice people, but it gets a bit tiresome being approach after every few steps by someone wanting to sell you something. I'm sure you have already notice by the above, but I like a quiet life. I suppose if you want to avoid all of that, maybe arrange to go to the steakhouse on the Tuesdays to avoid the hassle of it?

With regards to currency, I took Dominican Pesos and American dollars and both were accepted fine. You will obviously need the $10 to get in the country and $20 to leave, but other than that, either currency was fine in my experience. And if you are looking at excursions with Thomas Cook, they advertise those rates in dollars too. I have brought back a copy if the excursions list and prices so if you are interested and want to know anything, just drop me a message.

All in all, it was a great holiday and if you have already booked, I know you will have a wonderful time.

Room Tip: All blocks seem fine, block 4 is closest to the beach, but there really isn't a lot in it. Also...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank Natasha D
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great views, clean rooms, fantastic staff but I didn't like the food and was excited to go home for a good meal. The food lacked flavor. No variety either-lettuce, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, corn and potatoes were basically all of the vegetables. But the seafood (and el colonial restaurant) were good.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Silhouettedust
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned from 9 nights ,our 10th trip to Iberostar resorts. The staff, the grounds, and the service is excellent. Senor Pozo (G.M) went out of his way to welcome us and speak with us almost daily. We saw staff that have been welcoming us for years. The food is plentiful and presentation is always lovely. We can't say enough about our friends at the Dressel Diver dive center. They provide safe & excellent diving experiences every time we are there & go out of their way to make sure we are happy.
We feel this is our paradise home. I would suggest that décor in rooms be updated. While always clean & comfortable, the color schemes have not been changed in several years.

Room Tip: We prefer building 7, close to dive center. We ask for that & generally get it. It is close to p...
4  Thank 10Patty65
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel on first impression was exceptional. The staff were, without exception, very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The gardens are absolutely beautiful with peacocks roaming around and there is a huge duck pond which is home to flamingos, egrets, ducks, turtles and a swan. The rooms were very clean, spacious and well equipped, apart from the fact that there is very little English television. Yes, I know we don't go on holiday to watch the telly but we have it on for an hour when we get up and again in the evening while we get ready to go out, but 95% of the channels are in Spanish. The pool is large and clean with a whirlpool in the centre, and there are plenty of sunbeds both around the pool and on the beach, with shade for everyone even when the resort is full. There is a fair amount of activities around the pool during the day but unfortunately when it rains (and it did quite a lot) there is absolutely nothing to do because the table tennis is outside, there is no table football or darts and only 2 pool tables. The food in the buffet was pretty dismal, same things night after night and not a hint of seasoning or spices but it was a far better choice than the speciality restaurants. My husband (a joiner by trade) had "fillet" steak in the Steak House and said he wished he had taken one of his saws to cut it! Suffice to say, we didn't go again. All in all the resort is beautiful and the staff are lovely but if we go back to The Dominican Republic, we wont be staying here.

Room Tip: The peacocks roam around Blocks 1 and 5 and they make a lot of noise, especially in a morning, so if...
3  Thank Julie T
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was a full week (7 days) with my girlfriend in this hotel and it was a delightful experience. The installations are excellent, the personal is really kind and the ALL INCLUSIVE mode is accomplished 100%. The environment of the hotel as an hacienda is amazing (lot of exotic animals), the bedroom and bathroom are excellent, clean and look like new and the food and drinks are good enough (there are some premium drinks). Maybe, the only thing to keep on mind the beach is not beautiful enough like other Dominican beaches, but totally recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EmilianoV-CBA
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We visited Iberostar this past April, and as usual enjoyed the resort so much.
When the time comes to book our next vacation, we do not even consider any other resort.
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus has truly become our second home! Our origins are from Russia and because of it we started to call Hacienda "DACHA". In Russian language it means a lovely vocational home.
It was our fifth time at this resort. Typically, we are not the type of couple who likes to see the same movie twice or visit the same place twice. However, this particular mindset does not apply to this particular resort.
Upon our arrival we were brought to the reception area and warmly welcomed with a glass of champagne. Our luggage was brought to the room by Sasha who was very kind and helpful. This Dominican's guy is very talented. He is multilingual. He speaks Russian very well.
We had a beautiful and quiet room; room service was great. As always we had a steady supply of drinks, towels, toiletries and etc.
The customer service at this hotel does an outstanding job.
Our special THANK YOU to Mr. Rodolfo Santana, Guest Service Assistance Manager. He was our real guardian angel. He was attentive to our every need and desire, timely and responsive to all of our advanced inquiries.
The entertainment team is amazing. They surprised us with new show - "Iberostar Gala".
I am writing my third review of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus , it seems that I’ve already said everything in the previous reviews so I will not repeat myself. However, there is one new thing – a special party for returning guests. It was a very unexpected warm reception. We enjoyed it so much. Now that's true customer service and respect for the clients.
Our warmers wishes to the entire Iberostar team. We cannot wait til our next vacation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank natana p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!