“Iberostar ......... The Best!”

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

What can I say that has not been said before about this Hotel? Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus is at No. 1 because it is No.1.
Let me firstly say I was disappointed at check in because they never had my party of 8 on their check in list. I had my written confirmation from Thomascook so there was no problem there. But after a 15 hour journey we had to wait an hour for check in because no rooms were ready for us.
Right now that I have my moan out of the way!
The rooms once allocated were large, spacious, fridge with beer water and several juices, and tea and coffee making facilities. Air conditioning was superb with a large ceiling fan also in the centre of the room. The maids were superb in the different designs they left with your curtains and towels, a work of art.
There are plenty of beds around the pool but we tended to spend our time on the beach near “The Best Beach Bar in the Dominican” a Lighthouse Design Bar tended by the always smiling Yan.
Just a note to there is wheelchair access to the beach bar by a wooden walkway and also positions on the beach where wheelchairs can access beach beds via a wooden walkway.
The entertainment team are superb, you cannot feel anything but “Happy Happy” with them all especially Lenny. Well done to the whole team.
The food was brilliant, breakfast, lunch, and dinner such a variety. The secret is to pick something different each day instead of taking a bit of everything, then it is not repetitive ….. Easy huh!
All the restaurants were superb especially the Steakhouse and the Colonial (many thanks to Nelson who manage to get us a late booking). The restaurants are easy to book each morning at the entrance to Block 4. Nelson and Esther were our waiters in the buffet restaurant where nothing was too much trouble. Esther would even fan me if I was too hot (thanks Esther lol).
The night time shows are good with a lot of effort put in by the entertainment staff. The bar staff are brilliant to say the least, many thanks to Carlos, Florimont, Ramona,

This is a fabulous resort and is one I will be visiting again when going to Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Mike4golf
Write a ReviewReviews (9,306)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Let me begin by stating the obvious, we LOVE this Hotel. We've tried many others in Dominican Republic and always return to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, Why? because the STAFF is the BEST! From Hotel Manager to gardeners and maids, everyone works with a BIG smile on their face, and go out of their way to make you feel special... So it that we decided to have our destination wedding here.. after 15 yrs together it had to be something very special and in a very special place. Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and event coordinator staff Evelyn, put together the perfect Beach wedding for us. Thanks to all for making our week stay so wonderful... Gracias ;-)

Room Tip: Any building is fine since property is not too big, Suites on Bld 4 are Ocean front
1  Thank VillySan
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My fiance and I just spent 4 nights, 5 days at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. We had done a lot of research on hotels before booking, and we were very satisfied with our choice.

The ride from the airport to the hotel took about an hour and 15 minutes, but it was scenic and interesting to see the countryside. We even passed a few shops close to the airport and stopped at one for cheese and dulce. I recommend the transportation company Amstar. We had an air-conditioned vehicle with plenty of room and courteous drivers. They were part of our all-inclusive package with cheap caribbean.

Our room was beautiful and clean. We had a third floor, corner room in building 1 with a wrap around balcony overlooking the private back part of the resort. I've read some reviews in which some people say they had a hard time with the TV. Our cable box was behind the TV, so it worked fine for us as long as we aimed our remote control there. The room comes with a fully stocked mini bar with sodas, water, and a beer. It's all free, and they'll keep refilling it.

The resort itself was a good size. We were able to easily walk from one end to the other, but there were plenty of things to do. The staff was constantly cleaning, and I was especially impressed by how clean the beach remained. One reason we selected this resort was because we had read complaints about the jellyfish in the ocean at some of the other La Romana hotels. I couldn't have been MORE satisfied with the ocean here. The water was crystal clear, and we swam out to a sand bar where we had beautiful, colorful fish swimming right around us. If you enjoy the beach and snorkeling, this is a great resort for that. The food was very good. My favorite part was the abundance of fresh fruit at all meals. We were only able to try one of the specialty restaurants (book your reservations early-- you can do it days in advance). They're good to break up the routine of the buffet. Overall we found the food to be of good quality, and the dishes changed from day to day, however avoid going at peak times to avoid people who don't understand the art of forming a line and waiting your turn. We enjoyed the entertainment and found the performers to be very talented. The dance club was hit or miss. The staff was super friendly and hospitable from the moment we arrived until we left.

A few things to be aware of before you go: Ladies, bring your own hairdryer. The rooms are equipped with a hairdryer that resembles a mini 1980s vacuum. You will be holding it for 25 minutes and your hair will still be wet (however your hand will be on fire from how hot the handle gets). Do not bring light colored swimsuits into the pool unless you want them to have spots of mildew green added. The pool is EXTREMELY chlorinated. Also, be careful if you have dyed light blonde hair for the same reason.

Our only disappointment was that we had a reservation for the Mexican specialty restaurant and were not notified when the reservation was cancelled. Apparently the A/C broke and when we arrived for our reservation, the host at the Hibachi restaurant let us know that the Mexican restaurant was closed. He accommodated us at the Hibachi restaurant (our second night in a row), but a notification from the hotel would've been nice and appropriate. I was happy the employees had the autonomy to handle the problem on their own, and we appreciated that we didn't have to speak to management to be seated at a specialty restaurant that night. Even though we were disappointed, the evening turned out fine, and we wouldn't let one small incident keep us from coming back. It was a great experience.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a large wrap-around balcony. The buildings are walk-ups so if you have kids, pick...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jenny and Jorge H
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We share all the good reviews there are made. This was our second vacation at this hotel. In the other reviews you can read perfect descriptions about the hotel and we agree to all of them. I think the hotel is now 12 years old and ofcourse it is not new. But the employees are the best. They made our vacation perfect. So we are seriously thinking about coming next year again.

2  Thank 129Martin
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, clean and personnel helpful. The internet signal is not strong and one day the antenna was broken and we got no refund. My wife got food sick one day and I have also had my share although not as bad. It is not eco-friendly. Also, we think animals should not be kept captive to be used for pictures with guests.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fadnuned
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My name is Joao Sousa, Portugal 47 years old. Spent last week in Iberostar Domenicus and I would like to express my opinion
Resort: very nice look, beautifull gardens, lots of nature, birds like pink flamingos, peacocks, ducks, etc, very weel maintained and preserved.
Swimming pool: very nice, always being cleaned a nice bar in it, althogh, for me was a less pleasant part of all... the tiles in very bad shape, falling apart and even the patched parts look like a very bad job.
Restaurants: All with good presentation, recommend the grill one... lovely stakes... wonderful.
One restaurant always open during the day on the beach not lots of variaty but we need to understand that its just for a quick bite... burgers, sausages, fries (sometimes), saladas, nachos... The main restaurant the food is good but once its starting to get close to close... start to fail on replaninishing... so... go early for dinner and lunch.
EMployees... wonderful people, always with a smile, singing always saying hello, how r u...
Rooms: very pleasant rooms, towels changed every days, bar refilled every 2 days...
Internet: Free on the lobby.
Overall... would I stay there in a next trip ??? Yes!!!! I would.
Cheers

Joao Sousa

6  Thank jjnsousa2004
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I have been to Cancun, Hawaii and other smaller places, but this one definitely will stay in our memories forever. Yes, the extra expense from the airport and back is a draw back (120USD each way) but being away from Punta Cana gave us a little more privacy and seclusion from other party crowds. Upon arrival we were met by the friendliest staff, which took care of everything, including our luggage. All employees there, do NOT expect a tip, but my wife and I dropped a Dollar here and there. We are not rich in any means, but showing generosity to the service people is always a great idea! I know for a fact that we were treated a little extra special...on the 3rd dinner at the steak house, we received the largest lobster tails ever! Even, when the waiter opened our enclosed plates and the tails were shown, he said "wow, those are huge!" :)
We were told from other sites that exchanging money at the airport is the way to go..NO, Don't do it! Airport gave us a rate of 36 pesos to $1 and at the hotel, we got 41 pesos. The food, the beach, the bars were amazing! The drinks were real. Nothing watered down like we have experienced in Mexico. The buffet was fresh, big, the choices we had was amazing, I can't see someone going there and saying they couldn't find something to eat?! haha
The room. At first, we walked in it had a mildew smell. We unpacked and left to see the beach meanwhile had the AC on. After return the smell was gone for the remaining of our trip. The grounds were amazing too. Live flamingos, a swan and even peacocks would visit us by the balcony of our room. Nightly shows were a little on the amateur side, but it was nice to sit down, relax n grab a drink
The bad:
We could only find couple things :)
One being the TV! It was the hardest thing to operate ever. I am electronically inclined and still took me 10-15min to get a picture on the screen. It's satellite reception and TV remote in one....horrible. Usually we don't watch TV at all but there was a world crisis going on being shot down of the Malaysian flight over Ukraine, so we just wanted to keep up with the events.
The second, no night club at all. Maybe because we were there in the off season? Personally, I loved it, wife wanted to go dancing a bit...
I will also add, that I read in one of the reviews somewhere that guests were bitten by mosquitoes...Not this time. I saw a bug man every day spraying all the trees....wow

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank SkinJuju
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Catalonia Royal La Romana
#2 of 16 in Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!