The beaches were amazing, lots of room, very clean, quiet (despite occasional, momentary staff dance parties). Go early if you want a grass hut/shaded area. People left their belongings there overnight to keep for the next morning which was a turn off. The grounds and landscaping was immaculate. The staff was extremely helpful and kind. We somehow got upgraded to the "Privileged" package, maybe because it was our one year anniversary? Either way, I highly suggest upgrading to that. Many upgrades with it! We originally had a room with two beds, unnecessary, and we asked to move, the front desk was more than happy to move us, and to an even better room. I'm personally a neat-freak, so the cleanliness was subpar. Food wasn't bad, for as much as you can have, as often as you like, I can't complain. Two downfalls, if they apply to you, was nightlife, there really wasn't any unless you buddied with a staff member. We went to the "Disco" one night, which was great, but once was enough for us. Second, humidity and the musty smell. Really though, you're in the tropics so it's to be expected and it was tolerable. Some people mentioned it was "too big", or "a lot of walking". It was good for us to walk because we laid on the beach for 9 hours a day. I liked that it was big and spaced out, it felt like you were in your own little town. In addition, the drive from the hotel to the airport is quite a haul. It was comfortable but not very quick, about an hour and a half. Overall, I would absolutely, in a heartbeat, go back. If you're looking to relax, take in the ocean, have a drink and get a tan, this is perfect paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus is an all-inclusive resort located on the south-east coast of the Dominican Republic and overlooks the white sandy beach of Bayahibe; 25 km. from the famous Caribbean art centre Altos de Chavon and 4.5 km. from the tiny fishing of Bayahibe, close to the Natural Park of the East, home of the biggest remains from the Island's first inhabitants, the Taino Indians; only 30 minutes by boat from Saona and Catalina both wonderful virgin islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Gran Dominicus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus Hotel Bayahibe
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus La Romana
- Gran Dominicus
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus Dominican Republic/Bayahibe