“Great vacation”

Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is definitely not a luxury hotel. The rooms are older and the bathrooms are in need of repair but I was rarely in the room as there was so much to enjoy. The buffet is not good either but the food at the restaurants and snack bars is a lot better. The beach is beautiful with plenty of chairs and shade. I loved the pool which was pretty large and with different levels. The entertainers do a great job and even their night shows were enjoyable. I loved the atmosphere by the pool bar at night. It was conducive to great conversation and a fun time dancing. There is plenty for the kids to do. The staff is so nice and attentive, they catered to our every need. The resort is small which in my opinion helps you feel more comfortable and allows for people to get to know each other and have a more intimate experience. I had a wonderful time and would recommend it to any of my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
grandominicus, Resident Manager at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear guest,

It is always great news to receive a review like yours. Thank you very much for your nice words on behalf of everyone in the staff. Once again, thank you very much for your kindness. Best regards from Paradise!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

First the good. The grounds are very clean and the beach is beautiful.
If you are willing to shell out another $600 per couple for a "privileged" room, it might be worth it. unless you book a "privileged" room you will get a very run down room with their idea of a fully stocked refrigerator of three bottles of water (which sometimes you have to raid the supply room to get). The hotel description does not mention this on expedia. The hotel description on expedia says that you get water, soft drinks and beer.. The A-la-carte restaurants are mediocre at best and the service is lacking. The meat is extremely though and hard to eat. the hotel most caters to Europeans. The drink service in that there is little variety and a frozen mixed drink is almost unheard of. I was not pleased with our bed in our room. I had requested a king sized bed only to arrive and find two double beds that were very hard and were ljust over the size of a twin bed. When I went back to the front desk to complain, I was told nothing could be done. I really enjoyed the beach and look forward to going to the Dominican Republic again, however, I would not stay at the Gran Dominicus and would not recommend it to someone else

Room Tip: If you do not book privileged expect a bare bones trip
3  Thank clintfranks
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Vacationed her in June 2014. It's not the most luxurious resort, but it's definitely not the worst. my review is based on the privileged room, so I can't comment on the regular. I was happy to pay for the upgrade as I wanted the upgraded room, freedom to eat at the a la carte restaurants and so on. The room itself was very satisfactory and spacious. The resort was not very crowded which is important to me. I like a crowd but I also like to be comfortable. The beach was not the best but satisfactory. The food was hit and miss but there was quite a variety to chose from. I think your enjoyment of this resort will depend on your expectations. English is a minority language of guests but the staff speaks and understands enough that it will not be a problem.

1  Thank RustBucket2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind review. I hope it will help our potential guests to make sure that they are doing the right decision in the moment of making a reservation for their holidays in Catalonia Gran Dominicus hotel. That is why we feel very grateful with you. We look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards from Dominican Republic.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I travel every year and this is my 3rd trip to Dominican Republic. I would not recommend this hotel for several reasons. AIR CONDITIONING; - if you think you will cool off when you spend the whole day in the sun, think again. The A/C in the rooms is horrible, does not get cool. I had to change my room because it wasnt working the first night. FOOD: food was average, not a large variety, thought there would be more fish or even chicken for that matter. The fish was scarce and the chicken was practically non-existant. Honestly, the Pizza was the best....lol... and I'm from NY, where we have great pizza.... WAIT STAFF: if your not hispanic or speak the language, they will completely ignore you. The staff is not friendly unless you waving $$ ...... This hotel needs major upgrading. The grounds on the other hand, are beautiful, lush, green, clean. The beach is amazing. The nightlife, needs major improvement. I honestly would not return to this resort and its to bad, because the beach truly is beautiful.

Room Tip: Take the ground floor, its cooler, as far as cool goes. The A/C is not adequate.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dvaldez352

Dear guest,

We are very sorry the hotel did not fulfilled your expectations. It is quite obvious we did not do our best during your stay, please accept our apologies for it,
Regarding the AC in the first room, let us inform you that we recently signed on a new Head Maintenance who is working very hard to improve our air conditioning system in all hotel rooms.
Also after reading your review, we decided to check our menus to make sure that what you thought about it is not going to happen again.
Once again I hope you accept our apologies.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Catalonia Gran Dominicus for a week on an All Inclusive basis with my partner and our two children (8 & 4). We had an absolutely amazing time and really did feel we were in paradise. I was slightly worried about the transfer time as many people had said 90 minutes but we were at the hotel (albeit in a transfer with no-one else) in about 45 minutes. We were greeted by extremely friendly staff upon arrival and were made to feel very welcome. Our room which was at the reception end of the complex was perfectly adequate for our needs and had amazing air conditioning (in fact it was so cold we had to turn it down a few times). The room was cleaned and the beds made every day with towels changed very regulalry which was lovely. We were even treated to some 'towel sculptures' on the beds whcih the kids loved. There was a well stocked mini bar too and a safe in the room for which there was no extra charges. The room even had an ironing board. Yes the decor might have been a bit dated and dark but it certainly didnt have any negative impact on our holiday.

I have to say I was worried about the food with two younger children but the range of food available was second to none and they certainly didn't go hungry while we were there. The fresh omlettes and fruit at breakfast were a firm favourite with all the family. They also have a childrens buffet (which had a smaller selection off the main bufet) which they loved as they felt very independent. WIthin our package we were given tickets that allowed us to eat at the speciality restaurants too. Whilst the food here was extremely good I didnt feel they catered to the children as well as the buffet - that said my 8 year old managed to eat her way through a New York steak with no problems! The pancake bar on the beach was a favourite spot for us all and just filled the gaps between meals. This was also a great place for the kids to go and get their own drinks.

There is no denying that this is not a resort that has many British people visit it (I think we were the only brits there over our week) so if you were wanting to go and meet lots of people from home then I diont think this is the resort for you. That said we see enough Brits at home so we loved the opportunity to meet the European and American visitors. As per usual they all put us to shame by speaking perfect English so even the kids were able to communciate with the French and Sapnsih speaking children.

We found all the staff to be extremely pleasant and hard working individuals. It is not uncommon to see the same staff that have served you at the crack of dawn still beavering away late at night. In my oppinion they do this with very little complaint. When walkig around the complex I was amazed at how many employees they have and they were constantly working on the gardens and grounds. Every single employee who we walked past said Hola without fail which the kids loved. The same can be said of the entertainment staff. Yes the entertainment was not to my liking but I am not a huge fan of holiday entertainment anyway but I thought that the staff worked tirelessly all day long. There was a huge array of activities for all to do from pool activities, to volley ball, to water aerobics in the sea, boules, dancing etc. I didnt find the entertainment staff pushy at all. The shows were a little late in my opinion if you have children as they didn't start until 10 o'clock but when the kids managed to stay awake for the Michael Jackson show they were spell bound!

Finally the hotel has to be in one of the most beautiful spots I have ever stayed and we have many picture postcard images of the kids sitting in palm trees, lying on beautiful white sands or swimming in the bluest of seas. A truely perfect holiday in my mind and certainly great value for money.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay extra for the privilege rooms as soom of them were very close to the main buffet...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tillymint1975
grandominicus, Resident Manager at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice and extremely detailed review about all our services (food and beverage, rooms, entertainment activities…) . We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our resort that much. We are specially happy to read those wonderful compliments regarding all the hotel areas. Thank you very much again for your time and kindness. Best regards from Paradise!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had a nice week here from the 12th - 19th June. The best things have to be the beach and the price. For a cheap week in a paradise location then its great but there is little to do in terms of entertainment. Evening entertainment was lacking but they try. If you can't speak spanish then communication can be difficult, we felt that a lot of the tourists there didn't like us very much because we were English, but the staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable and huge and served us well. Food was okay, had a few hit and misses but generally good. Overall a nice hotel in a lovely setting and for the price was decent value for money.

Room Tip: I would ask for a second floor room otherwise the balcony opens onto ground level.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Fenners21
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend spent 5 nights at the hotel, absolutely amazing! clean rooms and facilities, very good food and drinks and a very friendly staff, I would recomend this hotel for anyone

The only comment I can make is that there is not a lot of information about how to get there and it would seem as if there are only taxis when you can actually book a transfer at a much cheaper price

Go to the national park which can be reached by walking along the coast for about a kilometre and pay the 100 Pesos fee. Bring a lot of repelent and cover your skin to avoid mosquitos!

Room Tip: Maybe try getting an upper floor room to enjoy a bit more of the balcony
2  Thank RodrigoCalcagni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Melia Caribe Tropical
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
#62 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Gran Dominicus? Share your experiences!