“No way again”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Of course, my family was relocated ! Because I read reviews, I call in advance to find out my status and was told that I am not in the system ! I booked 11/6/13 and still not in ! I call my travel agent to rearrange my vacation in order to avoid going to this hotel. Thank GOD, I did not go to Wyhdham. today is the 3rd day of my vacation in Be Live Canoa. Nothing but excellent! I'm from NY.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank snim10
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent visit to Domincan Republic (Bayahibe); regarding the relocation issues also we are sorry that you was not able to stay with us, but in the other hand we are glad to hear that your agency find you a good hotel, and that your stay in the other property was a pleasant one.

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations and that you can experience our services.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,633)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had booked 2 rooms for 2 families, 7 people. We arrived and were told that they had overbooked and we would be relocated to another hotel. We saw people arrive after us and they were getting rooms. Finally Marivel, an English speaking associate, helped us. She was fantastic. She explained the hotel we were being moved to and why. It turns out that they give priority to bookings with a certain travel agency, which happens to be European, because they have worked with them for so many years. That helped clear up why us. She told us about the new hotel and it turned out to be an upgrade. I have to admit we were disappointed and frustrated but the hotel we were moved to turned out to be beautiful. My kids were disappointed about missing the trapeze and rock wall but the other hotel had lots to do and was nicer. Overall it worked out by I would recommend if it happens to you to make sure you find out which hotel first and have an associate from Wyndham come with you.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Wajopar
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent visit to Domincan Republic (Bayahibe); regarding the relocation, we are so sorry that you was not able to stay at our hotel and enjoy our services

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We did not actually end up staying here as they were overbooked and we were sent to a different hotel however I wanted to give a shout out to the guest services manager Aida Cabrera. She was very easy to work with and made sure that we were relocated to another resort that met our needs. Despite what others may say about the customer service with this resort, our experience was fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mylo5765

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent visit to Domincan Republic (Bayahibe); regarding the relocation, we are sorry that you was not able to stay with us, but in the other hand we are Glad to hear that our Guest Service Manager was able to ensure you a plesant stay in the other property.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife, 12 yr old son and I stayed here from 3/21 to 3/28. The property is well maintained, but has some inconsistencies. As noted by many others, this resort caters to Europeans. You will hear a lot of French, Spanish, and German - very little English. A little Spanish goes a long way here.

We had a 1st floor oceanview room, 5904. The view was fine, but go with a higher floor for a better view. The room was pretty boring, more like a Holiday Inn. We had a few minor maintenance issues, but they were resolved fairly promptly. We paid for the VIP option so we received a coffee maker, robes and slippers, a bottle of DR wine (pass) and a fruit plate for the room.

Food Buffets: If you stay at the Palace you can eat at Yuca, La Terrazza, or La Roca. La Roca is near the beach on the right side of the Beach property and is a smaller buffet. La Terrazza is more towards the middle of the beachfront. We ate at all three. Breakfast had a lot of options, but at times food items, like eggs, were lukewarm. Meats tended to be overcooked. At dinner, the buffets have a different theme each night, such as French or International. If you are VIP, there is a VIP section in each buffet which has slightly better tables and a server who takes care of your needs. The Pizzeria is open 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The wood fired pizza is good, but the amount of toppings is very limited. All of the buffets have house beer and wine available. For breakfast, you will find vodka and champage for mimosas and bloody marys.

Ala Carte Restaurants: You get three reservations for a seven day stay. Typically, you order 3-4 courses. We ate at 25 degrees which has fusion cuisine. The food was pretty good. Il Paco is the Italian restaurant. It was excellent. Octopus carpaccio! Great gnocchi. La Roca and Viva Cafe are open area restaurants with great oceanviews. We enjoyed both of them.

Activities: We tried paddle boarding, kayaking, boogie board, trapeze, ping pong, and the rock wall. The staff often speak limited English so you don't get a long of instruction. Young girls really like to try the trapeze. The instructor is Canadian and speaks English very well. The rock wall is outside and not really for kids. The posted hours were 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., but I was told one day to come at 3 p.m. and the next day 4 p.m. Kind of unclear. My son and I played ping pong near La Roca and often had to track down the person who was supposed to be working the sport desk booth because she was playing cards near the pool. You have to put down a $20 deposit for ping pong.

Beach: The beach is great for kids. Very shallow. There is a VIP section on each end of the beach, but the beach was never so crowded that I couldn't find a chair outside the VIP area. Snorkeling is not good here, but head out to the left of the lighthouse and there is a section of artificial reef which is pretty good. There is a VIP bar at the very right of the property (facing the ocean) on the beach. We went there a lot because it is very quiet and we never had to wait for drinks. Good bartenders - Alberto and Santana. The staff do water aerobics in the ocean and in the pools. You will see a few topless bathers so don't be surprised.

Overall, I would give the resort 3.5 stars. The property is well maintained with several small ponds with live turtles and birds. Food is plentiful, but some items just don't work. Very walkable property. The benefits of VIP are not spelled out well. At another DR resort, VIPs have a separate check-in and can make more restaurant reservations. One night, the VIP bar had a really nice reception with a singer. We didn't have any information about it; we just happened to be over there. Thanks to Sandra at Guest Services; she was very helpful.

Room Tip: Building 59 is very near the VIP beach area and the sport desk. Good location. Bring your own cup...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank nalawyer

Dear Guest

We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your family vacations and for bringing to our attention your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us; at the same time we are quite distressed to read your disappointment in some aspect of our service and to know that we were not at the height of your expectations, especially with the room accommodations.

In reference to our helpful staff we will gladly send your comments to area manager so they can receive it; we thank you for letting us know.

All your comments are very important for us, since they offer us the invaluable and constantly opportunity to detect which areas need improvement to get the total satisfaction of each one of our visitors.

Once again, we sincerely thank you for your review and wish to have another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We just returned from a trip to La Romana, Dominican Republic. We booked our all-inclusive vacation through Travelocity to the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace. Upon arrival, we were told that the resort was having mechanical problems with two of their buildings, resulting in them having 50 less rooms. We were told that we would have to relocate to another resort that was comparable. We were told that we would be compensated with another all-inclusive week at their resort within the next year. All we had to do was go to this other resort and sign a release form. When we said that we did not feel that we would be able to utilize a trip within the next year, we were told that they would make it right by offering compensation in other ways and were given a name of a supervisor who would contact us. We were taken to another nearby resort. After waiting for over 2 hours at the new resort, and being told by Viva Wyndham that we would get an upgrade, we finally got a room.....and it was not an upgrade, just a standard room. The following day, a representative showed up from the Viva Wyndham Palace and told everyone waiting that the best he could do, unless we were willing to sign a release and accepting their offer to get another all-inclusive week within the year, was to cover one excursion from their resort. We refused, stating that we would wait to hear from the supervisor who we had dealt with. We spent the remainder of the week trying to connect with this supervisor. We were given a huge run- around all week. Twice, we were told that a rep would be showing up at the resort we were moved to, only to be stood up. To make a long story short, we never received ANY compensation. We also talked to people who came in several days after us who had the same thing happen to them, only to be told that the resort had overbooked. Whatever you do, I would highly suggest that you avoid this resort at all costs! We feel like we spent a week that we had booked in the hopes of relaxing in a warm and inviting environment, dealing with scams put in place by Viva Wyndham.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 17 March 2014

+’s:
•Beautiful and well maintained property that has undergone some renovations since we were here in 2006.
•Small enough to feel like a community.
•Great weather – rain 1 night & 1/2 of 1 day, 80 degrees F. Only windy 1 afternoon enough so that we needed to leave the beach (same day as rain).
•Coral with fish at the beach, loved the pipefish that circled us. No jelly fish. Bring snorkel or just a pair of goggles. Lots of fun!
•Scenic sunsets on the beach which means you can stay on the beach until 6:30 p.m.
•Friendly, attentive staff. I miss Juan who services the buffet. Lots of food choices.
•Renovated room with small patios/porches which were cleaned daily.
•Safe to walk around quaint village right outside the front of resort. Lots of souvenir shops.
•Shops available in both resorts. Can get chips, Gatorade & other beverages, sunscreen, swabs etc. but pricey.
•May use the facilities at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, including both a-la-carte and buffet restaurants, just down the path to the right. Check out their night life!
•Two small kiddie pools, one large pool.
•No need to get up early to save pool or beach seating. There are limited palm umbrellas that DO get "reserved", but the beach has plenty of shade from palm trees.
•Could find music to dance to almost every night either at VWD Beach or Palace.
•Decent evening shows, occasionally with outside entertainers. However English is not the primary language (it's Italian) and is sometimes not spoken at all.
•No one ever came around asking us to buy anything like time shares.
•A-La-Carte restaurants and snack bars available, but we rarely used due in part to my food allergies. There is an all night snack bar.

-‘s:
•Inability to change from first floor room, we should have requested 2nd or 3rd floor when we signed up. Each day they told us tomorrow, because they were "over booked". After 3 days, we gave up. That’s probably what they were hoping we would do.
•No food marked GF, I brought my own GF carbohydrates and there was plenty of other fruit, vegetables and protein that my sensitivity allowed me to eat. GF – Gluten Free
•Little socializing since few guests spoke English. My minimal Spanish did allow conversations with staff who were very friendly and helpful. NO free BOOKs in English, so we left a few. Shows were not translated into English. We only attended a couple since it wasn’t a big priority for us.
•No mini toiletries, bring your own conditioner. There was a dispenser in the shower (no tub) but was it shampoo or body wash or both?
•No face cloths. Bring your own or something suitable.
•No stopper in sink in order to soak bathing suits. I used a plastic bag.
- 2 very lumpy pillows!!
•SOME animation staff were unfriendly. Maybe we offended them because we were too shy to dance with them (??), or was it because we were American. Anyone else experience this? Weird and unusual. But we would still go back to the resort and there were some very friendly staffers.
•Minimal mosquito bites early a.m. or p.m. Did not get ill from them.
•I think some people save the thatched umbrellas with towels left on loungers over night. I checked at 6:20 a.m. and they were all already taken. So we happily used the shade under the palms which also meant we didn’t have to move around so much nor wake up early.
•Don’t use tap water to drink or brush teeth. You only receive 2 bottles of water each day but you can refill them at bars or buffets.
•Bar service, especially at the beach/pool, can be slow because of limited staff.

Hints:
>Bring extra zip plastic bags for food to take from buffet like when we left for our flight or for me to carry my GF bread. Also handy to keep items dry at beach.
>Bring big insulated cups for beverages. Helpful for carrying extra filtered water. Ours were inexpensive, so we left them behind.

Over all, we plan on going back to this resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jane1108
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Each one of your positive and constructive remarks have been seriously taken by our general direction in order to improve day by day our visitor experience.

We are more than glad, since it will help future guest to choose our properties for their vacation.

We hope that you could give us in the near future the chance to offer you once again our service and so, you could appreciate how helpful were your comments.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We booked this trip at Christmas to arrive March 7th, 2014. Upon our arrival we are informed that they overbooked the hotel. How does that happen? So they move our entire group to a neighboring resort and advise us that they will be giving us a voucher for another week stay within one year at any Viva Wyndham resort. I spent the better part of my vacation chasing these vouchers and received them the night before we left only to find out that they were only good for this resort and with several restrictions! They had me sign a legal disclaimer which basically absolved them from any wrong doing or responsibility. In other words, these vouchers are useless and worthless! Now are are also told that the voucher will only be good at their Bayahibe resort and must be taken when they tell us. Their story completely changed now. They have very poor customer service and treat people (especially Canadians and Americans) with great disrespect. They put our group out and I had to chase them all week to be compensated. Everyone we spoke to told us something different. If you are European or speak Spanish then the Bayahibe side of DR is for you. Americans and Canadians should stay away and stick with the Bavaro beach side. Spoke to several other Americans who had the same issue. There was a group of young girls and boys from the US there who this happened to as well. They ended up separating their group accommodating 3 of the girls and shipping the rest of the group to another hotel. This hotel advised us that everyone checking in on March 7th was affected the same and were all being relocated. All the while telling us this, a large group that arrived after us checked into their rooms while we waited for a taxi to take us to our other hotel which they claimed would be a 5 star hotel. The other hotel that we stayed at was far from a 5 star hotel but a 3.5 star at best. If the Bayahibe side of the island is struggling to make money then it is their own fault as I know that we will NEVER return to that side of DR and we will be advising all we know to avoid any resort on this side at all cost! We booked through Expedia who promotes this hotel all day long by posting banners like "Only 7 rooms left at this price" all the while over booking his hotel to help fill the surrounding ones. It is obvious that they only want to accommodate the Europeans so perhaps they should get out of the All-Inclusive market and go back to the European Plan market as it is very apparent that they do not know how to operate otherwise. Unlike Canadian and Americans, Europeans are very cheap and rude so keep catering to them, North Americans will take their business elsewhere!

About the vouchers, upon further investigation, we found out that we can only book 30 days before travel so in other words if their resort is not full then you can use them. Pretty sure that they will ensure that never happens. Then if they are never able to accommodate you the voucher expires and they are free and clear. Furthermore, we have learned that if you do happen to find a window in which you can use them, then upon arrival, you will be charged $60/day/person as the voucher does not cover everything. So quick math, family of 4 at $240/day X 7 days equals $1,680.00 plus $2,000.00+ for airfare. Gee, sounds like a deal!! No thanks, I think we will just use the vouchers as spare toilet paper for our next visit to the Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana!!

We would like to thank the staff and management of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace for the great experience and display of poor customer service and for making our family vacation such a fun and pleasant adventure! Wyndham Hotels must be so proud to have partnered up with the Viva group! Needless to say I will never book anywhere named Viva or Wyndham!

Room Tip: You will be advised that there are no rooms available here so don't bother even booking!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family