“After reading all of the Reviews.. I finially experienced the truths firsthand.”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We spent 10 nights at the Viva Wyndham Palace. We had 2 ocean front superior rooms for my husband and I, our son and our 2 friends. The rooms were large enough but with just the basics; therefore I could not imagine if we had not upgraded. The rooms may be all the same with the difference of location. Not sure. Housekeeping came in every day with fresh water, towels, and cleaned up room rather nicely. I found that a few dollars tips.. ($3 - $5) went a long way in ensuring good service. The earlier reviews were correct in stating that the mattresses were very uncomfortable, and the only blanket available was a thin coverlet. We got cold at night and had to turn off the air. In addition, I had bought my son a small blanket after I read earlier reviews. Was glad to have done so. There is a safe in room that you can use for a $2.00 a day fee.

Contrary to prior reviews I had no problems at check in. The staff was great and could speak English
very well. They did not try to relocate us to another hotel. They did not add extra fees to our bill. Our bill was absolutely correct - no hidden fees. They were very polite, courteous, and accommodating. The only problem I had at resort was obtaining cash. There is only one ATM machine and it is on the sister property (which is connected and made available for full use). The ATM was always "Out of Service". There is a currency window that will charge you $62.00 for obtaining $50.00. They will also not give it in change. The most I was able to receive was five ones, 1 five, and 2 twenties. Small amounts of cash are invaluable while at resort. A dollar in the hand when you step up to bar will get you quick expedited service. Small tip to housekeeping will get you extra towels, water, etc... Tips to the cab drivers, valet, luggage carryers, etc... Even is these tips are in $1.00 to $2.00 amounts they make a big difference.. European's do not tip like American's do; especially in an all inclusive. A little goes a long way. I would recommend bringing $50.00 in ones with you for that purpose.

The grounds were immaculate and beautiful.. I was truly scared of what to expect once I arrived because of all the negative reviews. Therefore, it was much better then I expected it to be. The beauty of the resort took my breath away. I was very please with the grounds, the pools, and the ocean front. There were lots of lounges and beach beds available. They give you two cards to check out towels but if lost or towel missing a $20.00 fee is assessed. I brought 2 of our own beach towels with us and hung them out to dry at night.. It was perfect. We placed the cards in the safe and did not pull them out until checkout. We were very close to the pool, pool bar and beach. These areas were absolute perfection.

There is shopping in the resort and just outside in the village. Prices are somewhat higher in resort but you don't have to deal with the pressure outside. The minute you step through the resort gate there is a mob trying to get you into their shops. We stepped out on more then one occasion and did not feel like we were in any danger at all. There are very strong guidelines and consequences if someone was to touch a tourist for any reason. When you leave the gates at the Palace you may run into someone named Jimmy at the first shop. He is a young Dominican boy who works there and we found him to be quite delightful. He walked us to the nearest supermarket and we trusted him. Upon leaving my 13 year old son gave Jimmy his Nike's shirts... which Jimmy loved.. brand name is very expensive there.. for example a pair of Adidas costs them $200..

DO NOT BOOK ANY TRIPS / EXCURSONS FROM OUTSIDE THE RESORT AND DO NOT BOOK ANY TRIPS FROM SOMEONE THAT CALLS HIMSELF JAY Z'S BROTHER, aKA LEWIS, who misrepresented himself in the lobby of the resort. We got ripped off by both occurrences. I highly recommend booking all through hotel. Our best recommendation for excursion is the SNUBA. Its an hour bus ride (air-conditioned to Punta Cana) but it was amazing. Absolute highlight of our trip.

The worst aspect of the whole resort is the FOOD. There are two buffets, a pizza stand, a hamburger / hotdog stand and the specialty restaurants that you receive 3 on a 5 - 7 night stay. All were barely edible - some not edible at all.... An earlier review compared it to Carnival Cruise line food... It was worst. I filled up on express's from the lobby and bread type items. On day four I figured out that I could have the chef fry me an egg - which I ate every morning. However, we found the service to be excellent! Would the food stop me from returning? No.. everything else was great.. Would I pack some food items and bring with me upon return? Absolutely.

One more tip.. Inside the resort there is hair braiding and massage.. $65 + half hour massage... I thought about doing this because every beach vacation needs at least one massage... Well tip for the day... Right on left of the Palace beach is the public beach... literally you just walk a few feet out of the resort beachside and you are on the public beach. There is no gate or sign .. its just there.. You can tell my all of the colorful items hanging from the stores of the vendors. Just to the left is a hut where they offer massage and hair braiding for at least 1/2 if not more cheaper. I wandered over there and met Alexandria.. I asked how much for an hour massage and she told me $45.00. At the resort this would have been $120.00. ALEXANDRIA gave me the best massage I have ever had in my entire life.. I have visited Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Barbados, Jamaica, Cozumel, All over the United States, and I always get a massage.. She was the best I have ever had. I ended up getting four massages in the nine days. For that price and that quality I could not stay away. Every day we did not have an excursion - I wandered over there.... Please go see her... Ask for Alexandria.. and tell her Cherri sent you... :) You will not be disappointed...

Overall, our experience with the staff was wonderful. We don't speak and language but English but could communicate well enough with all staff. We had cappuccinos and espresso's every morning at the hotel lobby from an awesome server, and truly enjoyed the people there. At no time did we find the staff nicer to the Europeans as was reported in earlier posts.

In summary; It was a wonderful vacation. We would return (with more cash and our food items.. lol)... but I would give it 4 stars... :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Cherri B
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this traveler's forum.

We are glad that the overall experience in our property was wonderful and that you enjoyed our natural grounds and general service of our staff.

We deeply appreciated your observations and advices as a valuable input in our constant aim to always improve our visitor experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to be once again at your service.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Write a ReviewReviews (3,583)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I spent 7 beautiful nights at this resort. Food, beach, room services/facilities are phenomenal. I recommended the excursion to catalina island. It was a great experience. My only concern is the check in process. The restaurants a la carter are great.

Room Tip: Junior Suite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rancel H
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for posting you review and for choosing our resort for your past holidays.

We are happy to find out that you consider our hotel as meet your expectation regarding pierce and value.

I am glad that you consider our services as phenomenal and you enjoyed the excursion made as well the a la carte restaurants.

Your observation regarding the check in process is much appreciated because will assist us in our commitment to always improve positively all our visitor’s experience.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Viva Wyndham Palace. We had 2 ocean front superior rooms for myself, my husband and our 2 teens. The rooms were average. I'm glad we had the upgraded rooms because we may have been disappointed with less. When going out of the country we know standards can vary. It was acceptable to us. The room was very damp but had all the things we needed and the maid came every day. We had a wonderful location on the Palace side so that made all the difference for our experience. We were very close to the pool, pool bar and beach.

Grounds are beautiful and there is shopping in the resort and just outside in the village. The beach is gorgeous with plenty of chairs. The clientele is largely European, Italian specifically. So, don't be surprised to see topless women on the beach.

We mostly ate at the buffet just out of convenience. Not great. There were plenty of choices but the quality of food was a little disappointing. However, we found the service to be good. Guillermo was our server on several nights and he would set a table for us when he saw us coming. The kids thought that was awesome. Very friendly and attentive!

Overall, our experience with the staff was wonderful. Really. I wish I'd gotten the names of all the staff we liked so well. We don't speak Spanish but we tried, and we tipped. We got a couple of great cappuccinos every morning at the pool bar from a really nice server, and each afternoon we looked for Nancy at the pool bar, "Amiga :)". We smiled a lot and thanked everyone and they couldn't have been nicer to us. The only staff that seemed indifferent were the staff working at the reception desk. But, that's no different then I would find in the US, so, no biggie. Language was never a problem. We managed to cobble together enough to get by.

We did tip, as we tend to do, although I know each country/culture handles this differently. I will say that it was always graciously accepted.

For what we paid for the trip, it was a wonderful experience. We knew it was not a 5 star resort and we got what we expected. It was lovely!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GG124
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and good service in our dining room. We will share your nice comments with waiter staff.

We will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

We will be honored to welcome you back once again in a near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I would never recommend this resort to girls nor to Americans. Very unsafe! My friends and I been followed by Italian guests! We even caught them taking pictures of all the girls in the resort. They tried to give us drinks where we saw it 100% they put something in it! In our last night we had to sleep with the security next to our room. After all the stress and fear we had we forgot how stinky the room was and how bad the service was in general. Everything is awful but the beach itself! DO NOT GO THERE!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank VVLBG
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay. We regret to find out that your experience was not a positive one and the reported inconvenient caused by other guest’s.

Rest assured that your comments and observations regarding our service and room will be taken into consideration in our constant aim to improve all our guest satisfaction.
Once again, I really regret your negative impression and deeply apologize on behalf of all our staff.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

First, I'd like to start off by saying that I would give this property a 3.5 stars, not 4, if I could.

We chose this resort for our destination wedding because my husband and I are members of Club Viva and had a complimentary 8 day all-inclusive vacation to use. We had no idea what to expect but after staying at the Freeport Viva, I was worried about my guests' experience while they participated in our nuptials down in the Dominican Republic. (The Freeport Viva isn't very nice. Things were broken in our room and the food was not good.)

Anyway, the Viva Palace and Viva Beach resorts were only about 15 minutes from the La Romana airport which was nice, but if you fly into Santo Domingo, you're looking at 1–2 hours, depending on your method of transportation. I suggest you hire a private car or share a small private van with other members of your party, so you don't have to stop at other hotels. That seems to add on a significant amount of time according to some of my guests who decided to fly into Santo Domingo.

THE CUSTOMER SERVICE
• I think the guest service at reception sucks. They were okay for us when we checked in, but I witnessed some of the employees' poor attitudes towards my sisters and parents.
• So I agree with other reviews and would say their employees didn't really have the best attitude or treat people as well as they could at check-in and check-out. Personally, when we checked out, they didn't really know what they were doing nor could they answer why a charge was erroneously placed on our bill. It was a little frustrating but in the end we sorted it out.

THE CLUB VIP CUSTOMER SERVICE
• The VIVA Club VIP service is stellar, professional and such a contrast to the check-in/check-out people at the front
• The girl was always asking if we needed anything and how are vacation was going. She was very kind and courteous.

THE RESORT - VIVA DOMINICUS PALACE
• Located in the tiny town of Bayahibe, it lies right on the water next to it's sister resort, Viva Dominicus.
• If you stay in Palace, I hear you have access to the Beach side, but I never saw anyone really check bands or turn away guests from the other side. We had access to both sides with our reservation & membership.
• You can purchase with your reservation, the upgrade to have access to both sides.
• Viva Palace is definitely the quieter side of the resort and in my opinion, the nicer side, so I'm glad we chose this side and not the other.
• The night club is located in the front of the property, around the corner from the pizza spot, but it's rather quiet unless you are inside the club so I don't think it's a problem if your room is near that area.

THE RESORT - VIVA DOMINICUS BEACH
• If you are looking for more action during the day and a livelier bar at night, the Beach side is where it's at.
• They have cute thatched-roof huts and a quieter end at the opposite side, but in the center is the big bar and main pool which always had a ton of people.
• The VIP bar for both resorts is actually at the far end of the Beach property, but it's a welcoming, secluded area with chairs, jacuzzi and incredible ocean views.
• Viva Dominicus Beach is where the nightly entertainment performs, regardless of which side you are staying.

THE ROOMS - PALACE
• We were upgraded to the romance junior suite because of our wedding, so our room was nice and clean. It was spacious with a King bed and a jacuzzi for two.
• The bathroom functioned fine as did the A/C, so I was happy about that.
• It also had a mini fridge which was nice to keep some food in when I wanted to snack on fruit or have cold water).
• They replenish two bottles of water daily.
• We received wine (although not good; it was Dominican wine) and fresh fruit almost daily which is a nice benefit of the VIP membership and wedding package.

THE EXCURSION
• We did take a day trip to one of the neighboring islands, Saona. We traveled by catamaran so it was nice to be on the water. We stopped to swim at the "natural pool" but it's just the ocean and not special. At the island, we lounged around in a private VIVA section where they served an excellent BBQ lunch. We were there maybe 2 or 3 hours then left to go back to the resort. Overall, the excursion was fun. I'm not sure how much it was because it was included in our wedding package, but I might pay $50–$60pp. Anymore, I'm not sure I would go.

THE ACTIVITIES
• We were extremely lazy and only lounged in the bed/cabanas and by the water, but our friends participated in everything from kayaking to paddle boarding and the trapeze. They all had a great time without incident.

THE FOOD
• This is where I was most concerned as I have a strict diet of no gluten, no sugar and no dairy.
• Luckily, I was able to speak with the head chef who told me what I could have from each specialty restaurant, so I knew in advance what I could eat.
• The main dining room Yuca served a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner; I was surprised it had rather decent food. Now mind you, they don't really season with salt because of dietary limitations so you often had to add salt to things like the fresh omelets. However, in general, I was able to find a few things to eat when I dined there, and they have a great selection of fresh fruit and salad. I'd give the restaurant a B- for quality and A for diversity.
• We did eat at the Beach side's La Terraza which is like Yuca, but honestly, I didn't think the buffet food was as good as La Yuca.
• I didn't actually eat the salad because I was concerned about food handling, and I'm not a fan of iceberg, but they did offer some grilled vegetables and usually had a fresh pasta station for lunch.
• I didn't eat at either main pool's hamburger/pizza station, but my husband enjoyed the food, including french fries, hotdogs and a selection of sides.
• I loved the Italian restaurant on the Palace property, Il Palco. The gnocchi was divine! I had it made special without cream, just olive oil, garlic and herbs. I dined with two people who actually lived in Italy for several years and they both commented at the authenticity of their meals.
• The Mexican restaurant was surprisingly good. I ate the chicken enchiladas without the tortilla and just has a side of rice. The guacamole and chips were tasty...I didn't get sick!
• The restaurant 25 was just okay, but I really couldn't eat much on the menu, so I'm biased. My husband enjoyed his food fine.
• Viva Café is where our reception dinner was held. Our guests all said they enjoyed the set menu provided, and the wedding cake (although I couldn't eat it) was supposedly delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed the whipped yuca and a the caprese salad.

THE DRINKS
• The wine served at La Yuca is terrible (if you like good or even decent wine). It's reminiscent of grape juice. There is no body or aroma to it.
• There are two cash bars—one on each property—so you can buy wines by the glass to enjoy if you're thirsty for quality libations.
• Also, the specialty restaurants have a small selection of decent wines, so we purchased a few bottles during our stay.
• We bought a bottle of Grey Goose at the night club and were able to take what we didn't drink back to our room which was nice. The rest of the resort bars don't serve premium liquors, unless you go to the Club Viva VIP Bar.

THE SUMMARY
Overall, we had a rather enjoyable stay. Our ceremony was perfect and the resort is meticulously kept. Every day I saw law maintenance and building maintenance being performed. The amenities are great and the views are gorgeous. I do recommend visiting if you are looking for a budget to moderate type of all inclusive resort. The Dominicus beach side had a lot of families and younger children while the palace side seemed to be more of an older crowd and couples. The staff didn't really speak much English, but I wasn't expecting them to. The only people who know multiple languages were the front reception, concierge or excursions staff, so they can point you in the right direction and offer suggestions of activities or provide assistance when needed. If you need people to speak English to you all the time, then stay in a U.S. or U.K. resort.

If you are looking for an above average to excellent vacation experience, then you will need to pay more and stay at a high-end resort. However, for the price and the nice amenities, I think Viva Palace is a solid 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool if you want a little more quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarraC_12

Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had overall pleasant say and that your wedding ceremony was perfect.

We are delighted that your guest’s enjoyed the reception dinner and cake as well your romance room and VIP customer care service.

I also would like to thank for your suggestions and important remarks; please rests assure that all of our guest opinions are very important for us, as we consider it as the most reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to be at your service next time you visit Dominican Republic.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

There are dead honey bees everywhere... They kill them with some sort of bug spray. There are other ways of dealing with this problem without killing bees. They arent that important to Wyndham.

I am not joking when I said in the title that the airport was the better experience of the trip. We entered the property knowing that there would be noise and an older hotel. What we found there was a staff that was more interested in selling you excursions, Wyndham VIP vacation plans, and anything else they could use to extract money. If I was 25-35 and did not have kids and wanted to get drunk and party, be in a club like atmosphere 24 hours a day then this place if for you. If you have kids, want some quiet time, want to relax, and chill out: This place is not for you. From the moment you get there it is one large commercial. The first day you get there you must go to the lobby to meet with a travel consultant and he/she tries to sell you trips and it is a hard sell.

SUMMARY:

Not family friendly: If you would like to be on a Huge Carnival Cruise Line with a beach and a constant party then this place is for you. It was a party nearly 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The music was always loud everywhere. There was a DJ spewing non-sense a great deal too. The kids area is small and more like a prison yard.

You Get What you Pay for: Yes it was inexpensive, but never again will I go cheap on vacation. The hotel is dated and in need of an overhaul. It is almost like the 1980's. There is no wifi unless you were in the lobby and it didnt work most of the time. There was an internet cafe that was good but it will cost you.

Excursions: We went out on the day trip on one of the boats to an island. They show a sail boat taking you to an island and it looks very fun and restful. They will serve you lunch when you arrive and then you will go back to the hotel arriving around 5pm. From the minute we set sail the VERY loud music started. There was no escape. I like loud music but for 90 minutes straight and no break it was rough. By the time we got to the island we were worn out. When we did get there the food was terrible. We were constantly offered things for sale by vendors. We then got back on the boat and the music started up again. Again, it did not stop for 90 minutes. It was so loud that you couldnt speak to other people. Everyone was so warn out but the music pounded.

Staff: Most spoke spanish and the few spoke english. They were very unresponsive to basic requests. They have a program and they stick to it, do not expect them to go the extra mile even if you do tip them. My advise is to not tip anyone for anything, they simply do not care about money. The staff that does speak english will also lie. If you have a problem with the bill they will not negotiate with you even if you show receipts.

The beach, water, activities, and pools: The beach was clean and the pools were nice. The blue water is amazing. I would have liked more things to do, like horseback riding, wave runners, and other such things but there wasnt much. If you wanted to play foozball, table tennis, or pool you had to give them a $20 deposit per item. So two paddles and a ball will requires a $60 deposit.

FOOD: The food was ok, we arent big eaters but it was like the free food you get on a Carnival Cruise line buffet. The soft drink machines were often out of various beverages. My son really liked cocoa but it was often empty. The best place to eat is 25 but make reservations. Do not waste your time with any of the other off the buffet places they are not very good. One even charges $10 / person extra and it was not very good.

The WORD 'NO': When the cleaning lady came to clean the room she forgot to replace our bed spreads. We got in that evening and it took a phone call and three trips to finally have someone give us a two bed spreads. You will need bed spreads because the air conditioning works very well: It is either 50F in your room or 90F. It took 4 hours.

My wife caught a stomach flew and wanted me to get some food for her back at the room. I went down to the buffet and picked her up some food and as I was walking out with a plate full of toast grabbed my arm and said no. I said what are you doing? No, and she pointed at the plate. There were no to-go plates. I walked away and she came after me, I ignored her feeling pretty upset about this experience.

We wanted to change our time getting to the airport and we booked a private car through our travel agency. It took nearly 45 minutes after constant NO NO NO. You cant do that... We eventually were able to change our time to what we wanted but it took some serious nearly heated debate to get it done.

Checking OUT: WHen I checked out the bill was wrong and when we tried to negotiate through the issues they wont even look at you. They forget all the english they just knew 2 minutes ago. They refused to negotiate even when you showed them receipts.

All this hotel wants is your money. They know you will probably never come back. My whole opinion of the Wyndham company has been soured because of this experience and they will go to the bottom of the list of hotels when booking travel for any purpose. I stay in hotels roughly 120 nights a year for business.

Now the DR airport: Customs and boarder control were nicer than the hotel staff. The shopping was better. The food at the airport was better. The airport was cleaner than my hotel. The United Club people were so kind and so helpful. My wife and I joked about our next vacation being at an airport. Even my kids were relieved to be in the airport.

Let the buyer beware. If you book here, you have been warned.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank John T
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay. We regret to find out that our resort did not meet with your expectations.

We truly appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring these points to our attention. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated and rest assured that they have been forwarded to the corresponding departments in order to follow up on your concerns.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We purchased this vacation through groupon. For the price we paid, it was an alright vacation. The food was really amazing, but you have to be willing to try new things. If you are a picky eater, this isn't the place for you. The staff spoke Spanish first, but most of them also spoke very good English. The ocean was pretty, but the swimming sections had rocks throughout and we received some bumps, bruises, and scratches from them. Our room was the biggest disappointment. We had a garden view on the top floor. We had two beds and both of them were very hard. It was just a mattress set on top of a concrete "box spring". Like I said, for the price we paid, it was worth it. We enjoyed our stay but probably won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Memalko
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Dominicus as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed our gastronomic offer and beautiful beach.

We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Thank you once again for visiting us.

Best regards,

Diego Giribaldi
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!