“Great value”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had mixed feelings before coming to this resort due to the different types of review. After staying here for 6 days i'm happy of the choice, unfortunately we could'nt stay longer as resort was sold out. The best things about this resort is that it is cozy and familiar, employees are all very nice, the spaces and rooms are large, clean, well furnished, basically we got a lot for what we paid for. All my guest where so happy of my choice. I understand bad reviews about food, buffet ect.... hey, i have not stayed yet at an all inclusive resort where some food is recycle, the good news is that there was always fresh food and fresh choices, for breakfast a cook will make fresh omelets, eggs and pancakes, for lunch and dinner a cook will do grilled vegetables, grilled meats/ fish, fresh pasta with the sauce of your choice. I started brwakfast everyday with fresh cut tropical fruit, never ate so much pineaple , mango and papaya! Another great thing i noticed is that for desert they will put full cakes and tarts and you could cut the slices, many more expensive resort put little squares and you don't know if the cake is fresh or was seating on a fridge for days. Also they had a pizza place running from 7 pm to 7 am and you can eat delicious pizza anytime you want, also there is a hamburger, hot dogs, french fries spot near the pools. The other side of the resort called " Beach" it's more informal and there is more fun for whoever wants to participate and be involved with the local animation, you can hang out there or at the Palace for a more peaceful place. Every morning i had a capuccino near the pool at 7 am, took a long walk at the beach and a swim after, by 9 am i was the happiest person on the resort. The rest of the day I enjoyed it with my loved ones. We will book again here next year.

Room Tip: I recommend the superior rooms, as i stayed in one.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Damaris R
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments on your family vacation at Viva Wyndham Dominicus.

We are extremely happy that your experience was a positive one and you enjoyed our gastronomic offer and general experience.

It is very important for us to receive feedbacks and to know that you had a pleasant vacation.

We will be glad to welcome you next year,

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Write a ReviewReviews (3,523)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I would not recommend this property to anyone. The rooms were damp and in need of some upgrading. Food was basic, with not much variety, if you wanted a decent drink, you needed to go to a pay bar even though we were all inclusive. We walked along to the sister hotel and were told we could not use their facilities. We all ende up ill, my daughter ended up on a drip.
At this time, 5 days into the holiday we were told not to use the water to clean our teeth
I would not recommend to my worst enemy

Room Tip: No tip, we paid for superior rooms, but don't know what the other rooms were like, but the first...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sunny12323
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate the fact that you have shared your thoughts on this traveler’s forum.

We strive to create the best possible experience for our guests so it was disappointing to learn that our services did not meet with your expectations.

We encourage our guests to share their concerns during their stay so that we may address them immediately and create the experience they come to expect.

We really regret your negative impression and deeply apologize on behalf of all our staff.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

PROS: comfortable updated rooms, some good selections at buffet, plenty of pools to choose from, animation was fun, beach location convenient.
COnS: lied to about VIP service - disgraceful, liquor is cheap and watered down - no top shelf liquor or even Presidente bottles only tap version (it's their national beer Wth), room safe never worked and after calling at least four times no one ever came to fix it so we had to lock up or stuff in our suitcase and hope we had luck in not getting robbed, leaving ask your luggage out in front by the main reception ars if you arrive before your room is ready - ridiculous and unsafe as we saw several people go to bags while we were waiting and no one questioned them.

This was out 3rd and most bizarre stay...simply unacceptable. My first visit was a few years ago (2012) and it was not a good experience overall but it had its moments and the Dominicus beach is my favorite stretch by far). We decided to try again in 2014 since we love the area and try to give the good hotels here our business. (Usually we go to the Dreams Preferrred club and Iberostar and certainly looks like that's where we should stay- yikes). Upon arrival on our 2nd trip on May 15-19 2014, we were greeted so nicely (a huge change from the terrible front desk service of 2012.) And since we had purchased the VIP package it seemed to go hand in hand? Yet before our June 19-22 2014 stay (we actually extended 1 more night through the 23rd but stayed at a different hotel that last night/day since the price they gave us before arriving was OUTRAGEOUS for one extra evening Smh). We had to also literally beg and convince them to add on my fiances two small kids for an extra fee since our reservation only included or infant. (We travel with our own portocrib and he's still on formula and baby food so why would they count him at all in the room - seemed ridiculous) thankfully they finally acquiesced. (We found out AfTER I had made the reservation he would have them for that time period so we had no alternative they said there weren't ANY extra rooms). I was told two days before arrival there was no more VIP service!!! Honestly the service was nothing extraordinary except it seemed you were a little more resources upon check in (the VIP bar is at the end of the sister property - totally absurd). When we arrived after a LONG predawn flight from NYC we were met with the exact same sourpuss faces and attitude of 2012. Incredible. I was not happy. One does not spend their hard earned vacation money to receive ANY attitude like this. Strangely enough we saw MANY with the Gold VIP bracelet we remembered from our May stay. I was furious and outraged andcomplained via email to the man that had taken over or reservation details and told me no more VIP service. Totally unprofessional. So although it's my favorite stretch of beach, and we did meet some very nice workers, and the room was nice ....unfortunately I won't be returning for our wedding (we are scouting resorts) or for or family reunion which I had initially convinced all twenty for members of my family THIS was the place to go. Looks like I'll be looking at the Iberostar or Dreams again. Truly a shame as it had the potential to be a great vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank BestTan2010
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Resorts for your vacation. The opinions of our guests are of the utmost importance to us and our main source of information to improve our facilities and service.

We extremely regret that in the past visit the quality of the service received and your overall expectation were not meet.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as our main concern and commitment is our customer satisfaction.

We really hope you reconsider and give us another chance to recover your trust in our company.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We spent 10 nights at the Viva Wyndham Palace. We had 2 ocean front superior rooms for my husband and I, our son and our 2 friends. The rooms were large enough but with just the basics; therefore I could not imagine if we had not upgraded. The rooms may be all the same with the difference of location. Not sure. Housekeeping came in every day with fresh water, towels, and cleaned up room rather nicely. I found that a few dollars tips.. ($3 - $5) went a long way in ensuring good service. The earlier reviews were correct in stating that the mattresses were very uncomfortable, and the only blanket available was a thin coverlet. We got cold at night and had to turn off the air. In addition, I had bought my son a small blanket after I read earlier reviews. Was glad to have done so. There is a safe in room that you can use for a $2.00 a day fee.

Contrary to prior reviews I had no problems at check in. The staff was great and could speak English
very well. They did not try to relocate us to another hotel. They did not add extra fees to our bill. Our bill was absolutely correct - no hidden fees. They were very polite, courteous, and accommodating. The only problem I had at resort was obtaining cash. There is only one ATM machine and it is on the sister property (which is connected and made available for full use). The ATM was always "Out of Service". There is a currency window that will charge you $62.00 for obtaining $50.00. They will also not give it in change. The most I was able to receive was five ones, 1 five, and 2 twenties. Small amounts of cash are invaluable while at resort. A dollar in the hand when you step up to bar will get you quick expedited service. Small tip to housekeeping will get you extra towels, water, etc... Tips to the cab drivers, valet, luggage carryers, etc... Even is these tips are in $1.00 to $2.00 amounts they make a big difference.. European's do not tip like American's do; especially in an all inclusive. A little goes a long way. I would recommend bringing $50.00 in ones with you for that purpose.

The grounds were immaculate and beautiful.. I was truly scared of what to expect once I arrived because of all the negative reviews. Therefore, it was much better then I expected it to be. The beauty of the resort took my breath away. I was very please with the grounds, the pools, and the ocean front. There were lots of lounges and beach beds available. They give you two cards to check out towels but if lost or towel missing a $20.00 fee is assessed. I brought 2 of our own beach towels with us and hung them out to dry at night.. It was perfect. We placed the cards in the safe and did not pull them out until checkout. We were very close to the pool, pool bar and beach. These areas were absolute perfection.

There is shopping in the resort and just outside in the village. Prices are somewhat higher in resort but you don't have to deal with the pressure outside. The minute you step through the resort gate there is a mob trying to get you into their shops. We stepped out on more then one occasion and did not feel like we were in any danger at all. There are very strong guidelines and consequences if someone was to touch a tourist for any reason. When you leave the gates at the Palace you may run into someone named Jimmy at the first shop. He is a young Dominican boy who works there and we found him to be quite delightful. He walked us to the nearest supermarket and we trusted him. Upon leaving my 13 year old son gave Jimmy his Nike's shirts... which Jimmy loved.. brand name is very expensive there.. for example a pair of Adidas costs them $200..

DO NOT BOOK ANY TRIPS / EXCURSONS FROM OUTSIDE THE RESORT AND DO NOT BOOK ANY TRIPS FROM SOMEONE THAT CALLS HIMSELF JAY Z'S BROTHER, aKA LEWIS, who misrepresented himself in the lobby of the resort. We got ripped off by both occurrences. I highly recommend booking all through hotel. Our best recommendation for excursion is the SNUBA. Its an hour bus ride (air-conditioned to Punta Cana) but it was amazing. Absolute highlight of our trip.

The worst aspect of the whole resort is the FOOD. There are two buffets, a pizza stand, a hamburger / hotdog stand and the specialty restaurants that you receive 3 on a 5 - 7 night stay. All were barely edible - some not edible at all.... An earlier review compared it to Carnival Cruise line food... It was worst. I filled up on express's from the lobby and bread type items. On day four I figured out that I could have the chef fry me an egg - which I ate every morning. However, we found the service to be excellent! Would the food stop me from returning? No.. everything else was great.. Would I pack some food items and bring with me upon return? Absolutely.

One more tip.. Inside the resort there is hair braiding and massage.. $65 + half hour massage... I thought about doing this because every beach vacation needs at least one massage... Well tip for the day... Right on left of the Palace beach is the public beach... literally you just walk a few feet out of the resort beachside and you are on the public beach. There is no gate or sign .. its just there.. You can tell my all of the colorful items hanging from the stores of the vendors. Just to the left is a hut where they offer massage and hair braiding for at least 1/2 if not more cheaper. I wandered over there and met Alexandria.. I asked how much for an hour massage and she told me $45.00. At the resort this would have been $120.00. ALEXANDRIA gave me the best massage I have ever had in my entire life.. I have visited Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Barbados, Jamaica, Cozumel, All over the United States, and I always get a massage.. She was the best I have ever had. I ended up getting four massages in the nine days. For that price and that quality I could not stay away. Every day we did not have an excursion - I wandered over there.... Please go see her... Ask for Alexandria.. and tell her Cherri sent you... :) You will not be disappointed...

Overall, our experience with the staff was wonderful. We don't speak and language but English but could communicate well enough with all staff. We had cappuccinos and espresso's every morning at the hotel lobby from an awesome server, and truly enjoyed the people there. At no time did we find the staff nicer to the Europeans as was reported in earlier posts.

In summary; It was a wonderful vacation. We would return (with more cash and our food items.. lol)... but I would give it 4 stars... :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Cherri B
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this traveler's forum.

We are glad that the overall experience in our property was wonderful and that you enjoyed our natural grounds and general service of our staff.

We deeply appreciated your observations and advices as a valuable input in our constant aim to always improve our visitor experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to be once again at your service.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I spent 7 beautiful nights at this resort. Food, beach, room services/facilities are phenomenal. I recommended the excursion to catalina island. It was a great experience. My only concern is the check in process. The restaurants a la carter are great.

Room Tip: Junior Suite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rancel H
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for posting you review and for choosing our resort for your past holidays.

We are happy to find out that you consider our hotel as meet your expectation regarding pierce and value.

I am glad that you consider our services as phenomenal and you enjoyed the excursion made as well the a la carte restaurants.

Your observation regarding the check in process is much appreciated because will assist us in our commitment to always improve positively all our visitor’s experience.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Viva Wyndham Palace. We had 2 ocean front superior rooms for myself, my husband and our 2 teens. The rooms were average. I'm glad we had the upgraded rooms because we may have been disappointed with less. When going out of the country we know standards can vary. It was acceptable to us. The room was very damp but had all the things we needed and the maid came every day. We had a wonderful location on the Palace side so that made all the difference for our experience. We were very close to the pool, pool bar and beach.

Grounds are beautiful and there is shopping in the resort and just outside in the village. The beach is gorgeous with plenty of chairs. The clientele is largely European, Italian specifically. So, don't be surprised to see topless women on the beach.

We mostly ate at the buffet just out of convenience. Not great. There were plenty of choices but the quality of food was a little disappointing. However, we found the service to be good. Guillermo was our server on several nights and he would set a table for us when he saw us coming. The kids thought that was awesome. Very friendly and attentive!

Overall, our experience with the staff was wonderful. Really. I wish I'd gotten the names of all the staff we liked so well. We don't speak Spanish but we tried, and we tipped. We got a couple of great cappuccinos every morning at the pool bar from a really nice server, and each afternoon we looked for Nancy at the pool bar, "Amiga :)". We smiled a lot and thanked everyone and they couldn't have been nicer to us. The only staff that seemed indifferent were the staff working at the reception desk. But, that's no different then I would find in the US, so, no biggie. Language was never a problem. We managed to cobble together enough to get by.

We did tip, as we tend to do, although I know each country/culture handles this differently. I will say that it was always graciously accepted.

For what we paid for the trip, it was a wonderful experience. We knew it was not a 5 star resort and we got what we expected. It was lovely!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GG124
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and good service in our dining room. We will share your nice comments with waiter staff.

We will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

We will be honored to welcome you back once again in a near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I would never recommend this resort to girls nor to Americans. Very unsafe! My friends and I been followed by Italian guests! We even caught them taking pictures of all the girls in the resort. They tried to give us drinks where we saw it 100% they put something in it! In our last night we had to sleep with the security next to our room. After all the stress and fear we had we forgot how stinky the room was and how bad the service was in general. Everything is awful but the beach itself! DO NOT GO THERE!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank VVLBG
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay. We regret to find out that your experience was not a positive one and the reported inconvenient caused by other guest’s.

Rest assured that your comments and observations regarding our service and room will be taken into consideration in our constant aim to improve all our guest satisfaction.
Once again, I really regret your negative impression and deeply apologize on behalf of all our staff.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!