“Back Again and Still Pleased!”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Santiago, Chile
“Back Again and Still Pleased!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We went back to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace - this time for two weeks - and we had a BLAST once again! The staff was great as always - especially Lorenzo from the omelette station who always had a smile for us :-) Some of the things I love about the resort is 1) how family-friendly it is - ideal for families travelling with young kids 2) The BEACH with all of the palm trees so we can easily find shade if that's what we wanted 3) All of the pools - especially the fact that there are two large pools ideal for younger kids 4) The Restaurant La Roca for lunch - you can sit next to the pool watching the kids while you have lunch and appreciate the amazing ocean view! Plus, the pizza and chicken served there was delicious! 5) The Kids Club - although my kids only participated twice they still really enjoyed themselves and the ladies in charge were friendly and responsible. In terms of constructive criticism, all I can suggest is that they implement some sort of loyalty or "frequent-flyer" program for guests who go there often...It would have been nice to have had some special treatment for the fact that I had been there before and will likely go again (like a free upgrade to an ocean-view room and/or the VIP bracelet!) When I asked for a free upgrade, I was turned down :-( Also, I think that the a la carte restaurants should have a child menu (or a couple of simple, child-friendly items) as the dishes that were on the regular menu did not appeal at all to my kids!

3 Thank Penny O
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciated your kindest, honest comments and your loyalty choosing our hotel for a second time.

Please be advice that all guest requests are subject to availability, but we will always do our utmost to please it, especially if received previous arrival and from our very much appreciated repeater guest.

Thank you for recommending us and please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back any time!

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had a terrible experince with my trip booked through CheapCaribbean.com. Starting with my private transportation to the resort, when met at the airport I was talked out of the private shuttle and drove to the resort with another family because that drivers said it was "better" that way. The room I had was disgusting and even though I tipped the maids very well from day one, my room looked dirty and never felt really clean. The resort workers were rude and unhelpful as well as catered to the European clientel. The food was just average at best. To end the trip, our travel rep at the resort asked us to meet with him the morning before our last day to confirm our flight back home, and even though his schedule which was posted on the lobby wall stated he was supposed to be there that day and at a certain time, he never showed up. When asked we got two different responses (1: he's on holiday, 2: he had an emergency), so when we asked for help, we were given a phone number which we had to call ourselves, using our cell phone and paid international fees because the people from the resort would not dial the number or let us use the hotel's phone. The best part....when CheapCaribbean.com sent me an email to submit a review of our trip, I recieved another email from them stating that my review had been declined. I've been to Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) before and had a great time, although it was at a different part of the island and a different resort, none the less I will never book again with Viva Wyndham.

Room Tip: Choose a diferent hotel.
5 Thank Kevin C
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Resorts for your vacation. The opinions of our guests are of the utmost importance to us and our main source of information to improve our facilities and service.

We extremely regret that in the past visit the quality of the service received and your overall expectation were not meet.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as our main concern and commitment is our customer satisfaction.

We really hope you reconsider and give us another chance to recover your trust in our company.

Kind Regards,

Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our crew was there for nine days and overall did not enjoy the stay. Very European inspired resort which means that they do not and will not cater to anything American. The beach was the best part of the trip. Food is almost not edible. I vomited one day right after eating. Rude Europeans as well. Never again would I ever go to this resort.

Room Tip: Do not pay for the upgrade to the Oceanfront. Its pointless and you cant see the Ocean because of al...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chuntley76
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback.

In Viva Wyndham Resorts our main concern and commitment is to satisfy our customers and really regret you did not enjoy our services.

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced and rest assure that your insightful comments are highly appreciated and assist us in our commitment of continuously improve our services.

Thanking you once again for your comments and visit, we send you our warmest regards,

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was by far the worst Caribbean and/or all-inclusive vacation I have ever taken. We booked through Cheap Caribbean. I typically do my homework, but assumed that a Wyndham would be nice, Cheap Caribbean would be simple, and I could get out of the city for a long weekend. Here are the negatives

-Deal had us fly into Santo Domingo, 1.5 hours away
-Rooms are super basic, but clean. Beds are incredibly uncomfortable.
-My boyfriend compared the smell of the buffet to his uncle's dairy farm. Aside from the smell, the food was basically inedible. Powdered milk, overcooked meat, warm yogurt, mushy pasta, etc etc.
-The resort is primarily Italian guests. Not really a big deal, but also cuts down on the amount of general chit chat you might get into with other guests. Also, the buffet we ate was on Italian night and it still wasn't good.
-There were a ton of kids and they didn't always seem to have parents.
-We hoped the bar would be better. Line for small cups to self-serve at beer taps, small cups of what was supposed to be a daiquiri but was just syrup, ice chunks and rum, and few bartenders and servers, the wine at the buffet was really gross.
-only get 1-3 reservations (depending on the length of your stay) per week at the restaurants, so you are stuck with the inedible buffet. Even breakfast was gross.
-Wifi doesn't work. You need to go to their internet cafe (2 computers with the attendant playing games at a high volume) and play $7 for 30 minutes. I wouldn't even care, but we needed to find another resort.

Positives
-Reception was nice, welcoming, and almost all spoke English fluently.
-The beach is beautiful and has access to water sport equipment.
-the late night pizza place is edible. Is it great? no, but totally stopped me from starving.

Overall, this place is cheap and it shows. I like a pretty beach, but I also want an all inclusive to have reasonable food, good drinks, and great service. This place was just way below expectations and can't believe it is a Wyndham. We lasted one day before we checked out and went to another resort ... which was amazing. Do your homework, the reviews are primarily terrible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lhdrisc
Dear guest,

We appreciate the fact that you have shared your thoughts on this traveler’s forum.

We strive to create the best possible experience for our guests so it was disappointing to learn that our services did not meet with your expectations.
Please be advice that out property maintain a very positive score in our internal and external guest feedback; our aim is to please every one of our valuable visitors, nevertheless every guest has unique expectation, not to mention experiences.

We encourage our guests to share their concerns during their stay so that we may address them immediately and create the experience they come to expect

We really regret your negative impression and deeply apologize on behalf of all our staff.

Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at this resort this July and a nice experience. Upon arrival, the reception area is not grand but once you enter the resort, it opens up to beautiful grounds. The landscaping is wonderful and the beach is awesome. While at the resort, you will have access to both the Palace and the sister hotel, Beach. The two resorts are attached and you may use amenities at both resorts. We stayed for 7 days, and were allowed to book 3 different reservations at the restaurants. Only one restaurant has a fee (Atlantis). We enjoyed the view while eating at the Viva Café, which is on the water and we ate at the Mexican restaurant; food was awesome here.
Don't plan on using the "free" wifi...waste of time. My two daughters spent too much time trying to get on, painfully slow, unsuccessful for all of the guests we spoke to about it. (My girls ended up paying $25 for 25 hours for one device and shared the device. As this was about vacationing and not texting, they ended up with about 20 hours left over after a week.)
The food at the buffet was pretty good. As the other reviewers wrote, recycling is to be expected, but you could always find fresh choices. Each evening, the theme was changed, so there was variety. As my title states, be careful with the rocks in the water. In certain areas, you will find rocks and spend time trying to maneuver around them. They are not sharp but when you land on one while bouncing in the waves, it definitely smarts. My husband and daughter borrowed the floatation devices (mini surfboard looking toys) and when a wave hit, the board drove my husband underwater and banged him into an underwater rock. Lesson here--don't use the boards to float. Recommendations--go to the La Pizzeria! Serving fresh pizza 12:30-3:00 p.m. and 7 p.m.-7 a.m. Don't worry about exchanging U.S. currency; the shops will make change in U.S. dollars. Don't waste time on the Time Share tour. High pressure sales tactic, lasts more than the 60 minutes they promise and if you Google "Wyndham time shares", you can read many reviews/testimonials on the topic yourself. P.S. I would give 3 1/2 stars, but not an option.

Room Tip: As part of the package we bought through Travelocity, you can upgrade at no additional cost if a roo...
2 Thank Lisa L
Dear guest,

We are happy that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, views and of course the awesome food in our Mexican restaurant.

Thanks you for all your comments and recommendation because for us the opinions of our guests are of the utmost importance to us and our main source of information to improve our facilities and service.

Kind Regards,

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in this report in late June. The beach and ocean were amazing. The water was warm and inviting. I could have stayed in the ocean all day. The activities at the resort were pretty good. The paddle boarding was a lot of fun and I also did the Trapeze. The staff were friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

There were a few things in which I was disappointed. We booked this trip for a great price on Cheap Caribbean. When we arrived, we were informed that we could only visit the restaurants one night during our whole trip. I have been to a few all inclusives and this was certainly a first. This was disappointing. We were able to eat at Atlantis, and the food was amazing, but we had to pay extra for that dinner. We had to do the buffett for breakfast, lunch, and then all our other evenings for dinner. The buffett food was good, and they did a good job of mixing up the variety, but part of the fun for me is to get dressed up and have a nice dinner.

The 'free' wifi in the lobby... It's terrible. You'll see a lot of younger people hanging out in the lobby attempting to access the internet. Don't waste your time. I did not opt for the wifi for a fee.

Finally, I was annoyed that Wyndam would not give me any credit for my stay on my rewards card because I booked it through Cheap Caribbean. I have never experienced that with any other hotel companies. I did enjoy my stay here, but if I returned to the DR, I would most likely choose a different resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hjk131
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear customer,

Thank you for your review regarding the Viva Wyndham Dominicus. It is very nice to read your very positives remarks about our beach, the staff courtesy and sports facilities.

As per the a la carte dinner are subject to availability and we regret you did not get the chance to visit more restaurants.

As per the Wyndham policies comments, is established that rewards points will be only honored when booking are made directly without intermediary agencies; we apologize for any discomfort this may have caused you.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again having like that the chance to fully recover your trust in our services.

Lodi, Italy
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had mixed feelings before coming to this resort due to the different types of review. After staying here for 6 days i'm happy of the choice, unfortunately we could'nt stay longer as resort was sold out. The best things about this resort is that it is cozy and familiar, employees are all very nice, the spaces and rooms are large, clean, well furnished, basically we got a lot for what we paid for. All my guest where so happy of my choice. I understand bad reviews about food, buffet ect.... hey, i have not stayed yet at an all inclusive resort where some food is recycle, the good news is that there was always fresh food and fresh choices, for breakfast a cook will make fresh omelets, eggs and pancakes, for lunch and dinner a cook will do grilled vegetables, grilled meats/ fish, fresh pasta with the sauce of your choice. I started brwakfast everyday with fresh cut tropical fruit, never ate so much pineaple , mango and papaya! Another great thing i noticed is that for desert they will put full cakes and tarts and you could cut the slices, many more expensive resort put little squares and you don't know if the cake is fresh or was seating on a fridge for days. Also they had a pizza place running from 7 pm to 7 am and you can eat delicious pizza anytime you want, also there is a hamburger, hot dogs, french fries spot near the pools. The other side of the resort called " Beach" it's more informal and there is more fun for whoever wants to participate and be involved with the local animation, you can hang out there or at the Palace for a more peaceful place. Every morning i had a capuccino near the pool at 7 am, took a long walk at the beach and a swim after, by 9 am i was the happiest person on the resort. The rest of the day I enjoyed it with my loved ones. We will book again here next year.

Room Tip: I recommend the superior rooms, as i stayed in one.
3 Thank Damaris R
Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments on your family vacation at Viva Wyndham Dominicus.

We are extremely happy that your experience was a positive one and you enjoyed our gastronomic offer and general experience.

It is very important for us to receive feedbacks and to know that you had a pleasant vacation.

We will be glad to welcome you next year,

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Hotel Villa Iguana
Hotel Villa Iguana
#3 of 16 in Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!