“Awesome”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed 27 March 2009

As others we started to worry about some of the other reviews, but they were DEAD WRONG. We were there for 2 weeks and never saw a cockroach, after again looking at those pictures them the doors are not even like that, so don't know where they took those photos but it was NOT at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace.
We loved it. This is our 3rd time to Dominican 1st time to this Hotel. We arrived late MondayMar.9th. Check in was quick and easy. We got to our room Lambi 5823 on the 2nd floor, got settled and headed off for pizzaeria. The pzzas are great they cook them in a open oven. When we woke up we were in heaven, opened up the curtains to oceanview , BEAUTIFUL. Dolores was our maid, she was great at doing the towel art and keeping our fridge stocked. Front desk was fine they understood everything we asked. Yes we had to stand in line to reserve a la carte , but it went quick. We tried the Mexican and found it to be the best, we wished we would have tried it earlier because we would gone back a couple more times. We did the Santo Domingo trip left the Hotel at 8:00 am found it very interesting, the history is amazing. Lunch was good saw more history, then got to go shopping, my only complaint was shopping was only 1 hour long and it just wasn't long enough, we thought we would have more time. Wellington was our guide thought he did very well at explaining everything. At night we would go for our walk and end up at the El Trago Bar to listen to the great music and talk with Marco, his deep and high voice. He made great pina colodas and Dominican sunrises, when you go there say Hola Amego. If our kids got hungry at night we just headed off to the pizzaeria. During the day we lazed around the beach until lunch went to the Bar La Papaya, where you can get hot dogs, hamburgers, fruit, cakes. Danny at the bar was great all very friendly. My Husband and I went in to La Romana on the local bus (van) it was fine, went to Gumbo( like walmart) not what we were looking for. We saw how cigars are made. The girls making them get paid by the cigar not by the hour. We ended up with a guide but the next time we would like to explore more on our own. We left our teenagers at the Hotel and they were fine there by themselves. At th Buffet (La Yuca) all the girls in there were nice and all tried to communicate with you. Yes at times the food was luke warm but it is a buffet and its hard to keep all hot. Mabel, Angileca, Ruth were great. My Husband loved Iggy ( the iguana) Iggy loved to have his head rubbed and under his chin. The flea market on the beach is good, the one thing they tell you is that today is last day good price for you. They do barter but don't insult them. They wait by the ropes waiting for you to cross over them because they can't come on the Hotel side. My husband and son took out the hobie cat a few times. We took our own snorkels and flippers, and underwater camera. Snorkeling right off the beach was great, seen alot of coloured fish. It was fun and exciting to see, a great experience for our kids. Our kids went on the internet a few times it costs $ 3.00 for 15 mins. The sunsets are BEAUTIFUL on the south side of the Island. We never went down to the Beach Hotel for the night life if thats what you want then head down there. One thing also nice about the eateries is that NO SMOKING allowed in them. We never made it into any of the pools, i guess with a beach like that who wants a pool. We would go back there in a heart beat.

2  Thank hockeyrocks-7

Reviewed 23 March 2009

I am leaving this All-inclusive resort tomorrow and have never been so happy to leave a resort in my life. This resort neither needs nor wants Americans here, especially those with disabilities like myself. Mydaughter and I were placed in a room as far from the beach and cafe's as possible, although I had requested a room close to all since i wear a back brace and am just rehabilitating from surgery. That's why I came here, to enjoy the ocean and swim.
I think several small Italian villages emptied out during our stay, as 99% of the guests were italian. Which is great, but when the staff speak NO Engish, and the bartender askes my daughter if she is PREGNANT (she is 19 and is not)....well, suffice it to say, I will never return here. The food is fantastic, the lawns are immacualte, the beach is beautiful, the ocean is to die for....but this place cannot possibly be owned or operated by an American.

Janet Kelly

Reviewed 21 March 2009

Having read MANY not-so-great reviews, my sister and I decided to book a trip to this resort with an open mind. I am glad we did because most of the negative aspects we read about were not true (at least for us). We found that the staff were always helpful and willign to try to assist even if their English was not great. In fact, they seemed to appreciate our attempting Spanish while we coached them in English! It's true that we didn't run into many Americans while at the resort, but those we did meet, we enjoyed and spent alot of time with. Reviews warned that we might encounter roaches (we didn't see indications of any), have cement-hard beds (not true), flat pillows (we brought our own and it was a waste of space in luggage), bad food (we ate at most of the restaurants and buffets and found the selections and preparation of meals to be very good) and trouble at check-in (no problems encountered. In fact, when we arrived, we found that the resort was over-booked and Palace had arranged for us to be transported to and from a nearby luxury resort for the first night. We were compensated with a complementary trip to Saona Island). We loved the beach areas and never had difficulty finding an empty lounge chair of towel. The pools were lovely and not over crowded. The grounds were clean and well-manicured (though I never did spot the three-foot long iguana). Rooms were simply-decorated but spotless and we always had planty of hot water. We enjoyed walking the meandering path alongside the ocean that connects the Palace with the Beach, both during the day and at night, always feeling safe. Our only complaint was having to stand in a line before 8am for a restaurant reservation for the NEXT night. There has to be a better procedure than this! For the sake of readers, I offer the following suggestions. We appreciated similar tips from previous visitors to The Palace and hope others might benefit from them as well:
1) No need to waste space in your luggage by bringing your own snorklels, fins and masks as snorkeling isn't great even if you take the excursion to Saona Island.
2) If you are used to using a wash cloth when you bathe or shower, bring some of your own. The resort does not provide them even if you request them.
3) If you like or need to have Diet soda available in your fridge, you have to bring your own or buy it in the store at Beach because they will only stock the fridge with Sprite and Coke. There is Diet Coke on tap in the buffets and ice if desired Bars provide it as well.
4) Bring along a covered (insulated if possible) cup for your drinks from the bar especially if heading poolside or to the beach. The plastic cups the bars make their drinks in are on the small side and can easily get warm in the sun or get sand in them.
5) Don't pass up on the Pizzaria as a lunch, dinner or snack option. It is wonderful!
6) It is easier to bring questions or complaints directly to the hotel's front desk than to try to explain via the telephone if you speak English only. Hotel Manager, Mendoza, couldn't have been more accommodating and pleasant.
7) You might find yourselves with a new-found love for Bachata- the Dominican style of music that you will hear throughout your stay. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank debbeau55
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I'm not sure if I've ever been this disappointed in any place I have stayed before...We booked through cheapcaribbean.com and I have nothing but good things to say about their service and help. From the time we arrived at the Santo Domingo airport until we left was one continual stream of frustration and diappointment. Please don't waste your time and money on this imposter of a resort. We finally found the Turinter shuttle representative at the airport, who motioned us from place to place..a porter grabbed our bags and thinking he was going to load them on the shuttle bus ( not here yet) he pushed them approximately 30 feet and demanded a tip...no bus for another 30 minutes...the driver, an older gentleman was nice, but drove like a bat out of hell, no hands, talking on the cell phone, and passing on hills and curves...they say it's a 90 minute trip to the hotel...try 2 and a half hours. On arrival, they had our voucher, and appeared very pleasant...they placed us in two rooms side by side, not adjoining, as requested, next to the smoker's stand(we had requested no smoking)..the rooms backed on to a busy streeet, and were approximately 200 yards from the beach...note the promo says all rooms are just a FEW steps from the beach...without unpacking, I returned to the desk, and told them the rooms were unsatisfactory(in our small town of Joplin, Mo., we would have called these rooms meth labs)..the rooms were dirty, the furniture was old, chipped, and mismatched...several of the light bulbs were burned out, and the bathroom was dirty. I was informed the hotel was full, and to come back tomorrow. That's when I started my odyssey of trips to the main desk...they would greet you with a smile, which would turn into a frustrated pout, if you persisted in your quest for a satisfactory room...finally after four delays and trips to the desk, we were finally moved into rooms closer to the beach, bigger, and marginally cleaner...the tub and sink still leaked, and a one inch strip of fresh white caulk lined the bathroom, and would stain your clothing if it touched it. Again. the furnishings looked to have been gathered from 4 different goodwill stores in appalachia, andthe mattress was thin and uncomfortable. A liter of water was provided for each room each day, and don't ask for extra...coke and sprite were in a minifridge, and don't ask for diet. We would go a day with no towels, other than beach towels in the room...One of the reasons we had booked this specific hotel was because of the advertised kids' club and teen club...the kid's club was a joke and the teen club (per the kid's club manager did not exist.
the primary food was a buffet, which was very foreign to common American tastes, and oriented toward their primary population, Italian and French tourists...I know the French are fairly discriminating, so I imagine they were as disappointed as I was with the quality and lack of variety.
The specialty reataurants were a little better, but be sure to have dinner before you go there, or you'll leave hungry.
We reported a broken glass panel in our children's room because of the safety issue, and in turn, were blamed for the damage with the maid swearing that our children were fighting and caused the damage...I have no doubt they were fighting as they were bored out of their skulls, but I have replaced a lot of damaged windows, and that one wasn't caused by the boys...they weren't going to release us to the tour bus until I was billed 130.00 on my credit card....what choice did I have...in summary, if your're looking for a fun all -inclusive beach resort, keep looking, as this is truly the worst place I have ever stayed...many of the people on the bus and on the returning flight shared their experiences, which were essentially the same as ours...this resort has no concept of the term service or friendliness, and needs a serious makeover in maintenance and redecoration. It is not that this isn't a beautiful property, it is, but the service, food, and attitude of the staff leaves so much to be desired I would hate to wish this on any body else.

1  Thank jmmr49
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We held the reception to our wedding at this resort, and the entire wedding day came out better than we possibly could have imagined. Thank you Christina (at booking), Barbara, and all the staff for the hard work put into making our wedding perfect.
With the help of the staff at this resort, we were able to hold our marriage ceremony at the church at Altos de Chavon in the morning followed by a reception on the beach at the resort in the afternoon to evening. We were able to do this for under $12,000 USD inclusive of everything (air travel, tourist activities, gas, cellphone bill, groceries, wedding gown, tux, pearls, limo, invitations, photography, florist, church, cake, etc...) for 50 guests including rooms for one night for 28 guests. The beautiful bride even had a makeup artist that followed her around.
The resort staff put us in touch with a florist, Flora, in nearby La Romana that took care of a lot of extra details such as transportation and the wedding cake. We did need to drive to La Romana several times to work out some of the details.
We were impressed by Dominicus Palace because they were very easy to work with in accommodating our needs, and they only charged us for exactly what we used with no unexpected charges.
All the guests had an awesome time. I heard some say that this was by far the best wedding they had ever attended.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zero_muskrat
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I just came back from a 9-days vacation in the Dominicus Palace – Feb. 18 through 27th. I was there with my husband and 4 - year old daughter. We had a great time regardless of the small hiccups here and there. The resort is huge, with many different levels of rooms’ quality (which might be the reason why the reviews are so different), very busy entertaining program, shops and many restaurants, a theater with shows every night, etc

I think the trick is to make sure this is the right vacation for you. The positives first:
1. Lots of activities – free windsurfing and diving lessons, scuba, tennis, dancing…great party in the disco clubs (one enclosed, one on the beach, one on an open terrace).Usually until am hours. Great selection of shows every night.
2. The beach is absolutely beautiful. Never even tried the pools, no need of them.
3. Good quality and selection of food in the restaurants (dinner only with booking).
4. Grounds and parks in the resort are beautiful and very well maintained.
5. Great entertainment team, ongoing program through the day and night.

What you will have to give up on is:
1. 95% of the guests are Europeans, who smoke everywhere (on the beach, while they are walking, in the bathrooms…). For that reason I do not think it is a good place for couples with kids or people who do not have a good tolerance for cigarette smoke.
2. All shows and entertainment are either in Italian or French (very short English translation here and there).
3. Lunch and breakfast are ok, you got used to it. There is a huge variety of mostly ok food. If you are up for a 10 – 15 minutes walk (which we did every day after we discovered it), you can get good quality lunch in the Grill Restaurant (at the opposite corner of the resort). Dinner in the restaurants will be great if you book EARLY in the morning the day before. You can not show up without booking.
4. You may end up in one of those moldy, smelly rooms on the first floor that previous reviews are mentioning about. This is what happened to us (we were in 6210). We complained and next day they moved us on the third floor in a very nice room.
5. The beach gets crowded. You need to reserve a good spot there before 9am. After that it may be difficult to find towels and/or beach chairs.
6. If you book through Cheap Carribean – be aware that Santo Domingo is 3 hours away from the resort not 20 minutes (as they advertised it). That was the only complain that we had from our booking agent.

Try the trip to Saona Island – beautiful place, we dive for sea stars, saw the small fishing village, had fun on the beach and on the boat (again, the guide will be mainly in Italian or French, little translation in English).

I would recommend the place to young couples without kids or with older kids who will benefit from all the activities and free sports in the resort.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tizachary
Reviewed 7 March 2009

One couldn't really ask for more. If you take how little it cost it was near perfect. The food, the room, the people who worked there seemed to always be making sure everything was beyond satisfaction. the staff was incredible. Once you remembered you were on vacation the resort catered to relaxation. However if you wanted to participate there was also lots to do. There was always a bunch of like early 20's people out there to keep the fun going. Kids were kept much entertained as were the adults. If you want to learn to dance some hot Latin music there was always the chance.
The 'Palace' side of the hotel was more mellow with kids and lots of couples. Even the kids were well behaved. At night a couple of times I walked over the the 'Beach resort' side for some night club fun. Then walked back to the room via the great pizza place which was always open.
90% of the guests were Italian and French which added to the fun. The workers there speak five languages. Amazing. English was almost never spoken. Italian French German and Spanish was the dominant tongue.
I really cant think of anything that was not 'near perfect.'

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Hotel Villa Iguana
#4 of 16 in Bayahibe
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!