“Not respect Groupon”

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Not respect Groupon”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

I tried to do my reservation with a discount coupon of Groupon. When I called to reserve, receptionist says that "the system with Groupon is not working". Then, I called Groupon, and they tell me that "no problem was informed from the Hotel, the system is working and also many coupons were redempted". I called again to the Hotel: same answer. I sent an e-mail to Groupon, and the hotel NOW not accept more coupons, so I have to accept the refund from Groupon.
NO ONE MAIL WAS SENT FROM THE HOTEL STAFF...
Customers service? NO

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
48 Thank Gabriel V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel is on the same property as Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan. The grounds are open for use to all hotels, but there is one pool that is solely for use by Grand Mayan guests. Absolutely gorgeous grounds with a 5 star staff. The Ocean Breeze is a bit damp, due to being in the jungle but after having the air conditioning on for a day or so, the musty smell subsides. Yeah, it's a fair piece from the bigger pools and the beach front. The trams will come get you in under 5 minutes any time - you just have to tell the staff you need a tram.

The food at La Terazza back by Ocean Breeze was amazing. No more than we'd have paid for a very nice dinner in a good Italian restaurant. The staff was incredible. The pool is small and secluded but still gorgeous.

The food at the Del Lago buffet on the property is good but a tad expensive for my price range for a buffet. The only other place we ate on property was Frida's. It was okay. Not good enough for my taste for the price paid but again, the staff was very good (By the way, ask for your bill when you are ready to leave or you will be there awhile. They have apparently been told or it is a cultural thing to not bring the bill until requested to do so).

The staff almost all speak some English with the exception of some of the tram drivers and one of the bell boy/security/concierge guys we had. They all try very hard, though, and are unfailingly nice, polite and patient.

The resort is about 15 minutes from Playa del Carmen (which is the best beach since the resort beach is too rocky for being in the water). It's about a $25 USD cab fare or I understand the shuttles run every 2 hours or so for much less.

We were not partiers, so we didn't notice drink prices and we are more read on the beach people than swim on the beach people so we were fine with the resort beach.

I purchased a stay online though a 3rd party broker and it was not advertised as requiring attendance at a timeshare presentation. After purchase, that portion was revealed. At that point, I should have walked away but I didn't. I wanted to take my mom on a nice trip for Christmas and this was an affordable way to do it. We might have been able to get out in under 6 hours if we had simply kept saying no, no, no. We failed in attempting to be humanly polite and not horribly rude. We pretty much spent an entire vacation day on this. I can't say if you could get out sooner or not, I only know that their presentation was different enough from my expectations of a timeshare that we were there for 6 hours.

So... if you are strong enough to keep saying no, early and often, and you run across the opportunity to stay here on the property, do so. If you can find a good deal without being required to attend a presentation, that's even better. Disregarding the big sell we had to waste time on, this was simply a gorgeous property with excellent and professional staff. Not a party place while we were there, but more laid back. That might change in the high season, though.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
17 Thank Dagony
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We booked this hotel and were told the hotel is doing some renovations so they offer us a great up grade to their sister property next door. We were really happy with the up grade and asked the front desk people to show us the ocean breeze even if the hotel was closed. The hotel is great and super private and secluded. We are ready to book again for January with a group of friends.

Room Tip: Great price and very close to Playa del carmen
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank Nuevonena
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I made a reservation here in September for an October stay. When I arrived at CUN clutching my confirmation and arrival instructions there was no one there to meet me. A third party took me to the resort only to find it was closed.

Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
18 Thank klraus
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Me and my wife booked a vacation package through Expedia to stay 2 nights at the Ocean Breeze All Inclusive Hotel and 4 nights at another hotel. The airport shuttle took us the Grand Mayan hotel, which was supposed to be next door to the Ocean Breeze All inclusive hotel. We arrived to the check in counter and Jose the manager started to check us in. I started asking questions about the resort and was told Ocean Breeze All-Inclusive Hotel didn't exist. Jose tried giving us a room at the Grand Mayan Hotel but stated it wasn't all inclusive. So we spent 2 hours on the phone with a so called Ocean Breeze clerk and Expedia to get the issue fixed. 2 hours go by, Jose's listening to my conversation with Expedia and notices that Expedia's changing our reservation to stay at an All Inclusive hotel 15 minutes away. Jose tried offering us an all inclusive deal $70 per person per day after he found out Expedia was changing our hotel. We were suckered, I sent several emails and made a few phone calls before 7/5/11 asking questions about the resort.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
37 Thank TerranceC36
OceanBManager, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Breeze Riviera Maya Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
We are concerned to receive your letter regarding our hotel in Riviera Maya. Our main goal is to offer the best in attention and services at all times.
Please allow us to explain what happen with your booking. Due to the fact that you booked you holidays in our highest season and our hotel was fully booked during those dates so we decided to give you an up grade to our exclusive hotel The Grand Mayan.(within our resort complex).
Our property Ocean Breeze is located right next to the golf course and have access to the spectacular grounds of the Mayan Palace Resort and beach club.
Our hotel offers 2 different packages during the year. European Plan (no meals included) and All Inclusive. The booking received for your stay was European Plan, thats why the booking was made in this plan.
We are making sure all our partners have the correct information posted in their web sites to avoid any possible misunderstanding.
Ones again we apologize for the misunderstanding and hope you can gives a second opportunity to show you the beauty of our hotel grounds.
Best Regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

The hotel is tucked away behind the Grand Mayan in Playa Del Carmen. The resort is separate from the other hotels but still on the same property. Most amenities are at the bigger resorts which is just a 5-minute shuttle ride away (comes every 15 minutes). The Ocean Breeze pool is small but quiet and peaceful, depending on the time of the day, you could be the only guest there. The room service was fast and the staff were helpful. For a short 5-day vacation, I didn't have much to complain about, especially for the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sadakodo11
dedham, ma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in March before heading to Dreams PA. The best parts were: front desk staff very nice and helpful, use of the huge Mayan pool, delicious food and drink at La terreza and via room service. We did not mind the golf cart rides to the big pool at the mayan. We enjoyed walking around to see the flamingos and crocodiles at the other part of the resort. What needs improvement: food at La terreza is not really kid friendly, especially if you have a picky eater like my 10 yr old, also could not get pizza delivered like you can at the other parts of the Mayan resort (even if you pay extra). Our biggest complaint was the service...pretty slow at la terreza although the guys working there were super nice. Service at the beach bar was absolutely ridiculous and slow. Felt ignored sometimes. Come to find out, there was 1 waiter who was assigned to wait on Ocean Breeze patrons....could not recognize who that was and it was not clear what drinks were included in the all inclusive..some days you could get a Mojito and some days you could not. We did enjoy dinner at the Havana Moon 2 nights and $12 / person was credited for the adults. We liked the kids' menu there and the adult food was delicious. WOuld not go back with my kids, but would as a couple or solo traveler. Would also be a good spot if your were planning on making many tourist trips to other sites...would not stay here for a week just to hang at beach and pool.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family