“Jungle Breeze”

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Toronto, Canada
“Jungle Breeze”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I'm a travel agent who stayed here on a FAM trip to the Mayan Riviera and I saw about 40 other properties. We were literally the only people in the hotel. The staff was very helpful and accommodating, always answering our questions and tending to all of our needs.

There is only 1 a la carte restaurant at this property but all the food was quite delicious, if you're here for 7 nights you will most definitely get to try everything on the menu. The "delicatessen" is basically non existent.

The rooms were average but very spotless, I thought the bathroom was nicely upgraded. Since the property was so empty, there were some spiders in the room, a couple cockroaches outside- but this is Mexico so it's expected. The wifi is very spotty and isn't attainable in most of the rooms, sometimes in the hallways but mostly in the lobby.

The beach is indeed a 15min shuttle ride away to the Mayan Palace which is definitely a downfall if you're looking for a beach vacation. The beach itself is very rocky (Mayan Riviera does have the second largest barrier reef in the world) so please bring some water shoes. I hear there is fantastic scuba/snorkelling.

The Mayan Palace has a 24 hour pool, unlimited golfing, numerous restaurants & a buffet. There is no disco on either property and Playa del Carmen is a 25 minute cab ride away. For the cost of the Ocean Breeze you can definitely find something that is better value.

Room Tip: All rooms have jungle views. Might want to get a room on the second floor if you don't like spid...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank ExploreWithMaya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

When we booked this trip, we were told it had everything we asked for. When in actuality after we got there, we found out it was NOTHING like what we asked for nor expected. The staff at the hotel did not either understand what you were asking them or they acted like they did not care. There was virtually nothing to do on the premises unless you took the shuttle to the other sister hotels, and once you got there, you were treated like unwanted unexpected family coming to your house. There was no beach where you could walk or take your kids unless you liked walking over rocks. Although this was supposedly all inclusive, we found out like everything else that we were told that was not the case. All in all, I would have to say this was the worst all inclusive hotel I have ever stayed at, considering if you can call this all inclusive. We were misled.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank TD S
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I was a little nervous about this place at first from all the reviews I read but honestly best vacation We have had so far. Staff is amazing, food was great, rooms clean, beautiful grounds. Yes there is a shuttle to take to get to the big pool and other restuarants but they didnt take longer than 5 minutes to get there or to your destination. Plus your on vacation. . Why do you need to rush anywhere?!?!?!? Bar does not open until 11 but just go to Playa Del Carmen the first day to the walmart, that the other shuttle service drops you off at and grab a case of beer or a bottle of booze. Its cheap and u can drink them at the pool. Overall AMAZING PLACE, will be going back for sure.

• Stayed February 2012
9 Thank tetobones
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Small hotel associated with the Mayan Palace.
Quiet,small pool,simply beautiful.
Food was exceptional, wood fire pizza was one of the best I ever had.
Rooms were spotless.staff very accomodating,most spoke English.
Not the best view because we were not on the beach.
Beach is 15 minutes away, but the trolly was always available.
Value was great for an all inclusive.
Went scuba diving for the first time in my life(Mayan Palace).What a rush.
The people who taught me how to do scuba were pros and had so much patience.

WOULD RETURN IN A HEARTBEAT.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Tony S
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

I tried to do my reservation with a discount coupon of Groupon. When I called to reserve, receptionist says that "the system with Groupon is not working". Then, I called Groupon, and they tell me that "no problem was informed from the Hotel, the system is working and also many coupons were redempted". I called again to the Hotel: same answer. I sent an e-mail to Groupon, and the hotel NOW not accept more coupons, so I have to accept the refund from Groupon.
NO ONE MAIL WAS SENT FROM THE HOTEL STAFF...
Customers service? NO

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
48 Thank Gabriel V
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel is on the same property as Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan. The grounds are open for use to all hotels, but there is one pool that is solely for use by Grand Mayan guests. Absolutely gorgeous grounds with a 5 star staff. The Ocean Breeze is a bit damp, due to being in the jungle but after having the air conditioning on for a day or so, the musty smell subsides. Yeah, it's a fair piece from the bigger pools and the beach front. The trams will come get you in under 5 minutes any time - you just have to tell the staff you need a tram.

The food at La Terazza back by Ocean Breeze was amazing. No more than we'd have paid for a very nice dinner in a good Italian restaurant. The staff was incredible. The pool is small and secluded but still gorgeous.

The food at the Del Lago buffet on the property is good but a tad expensive for my price range for a buffet. The only other place we ate on property was Frida's. It was okay. Not good enough for my taste for the price paid but again, the staff was very good (By the way, ask for your bill when you are ready to leave or you will be there awhile. They have apparently been told or it is a cultural thing to not bring the bill until requested to do so).

The staff almost all speak some English with the exception of some of the tram drivers and one of the bell boy/security/concierge guys we had. They all try very hard, though, and are unfailingly nice, polite and patient.

The resort is about 15 minutes from Playa del Carmen (which is the best beach since the resort beach is too rocky for being in the water). It's about a $25 USD cab fare or I understand the shuttles run every 2 hours or so for much less.

We were not partiers, so we didn't notice drink prices and we are more read on the beach people than swim on the beach people so we were fine with the resort beach.

I purchased a stay online though a 3rd party broker and it was not advertised as requiring attendance at a timeshare presentation. After purchase, that portion was revealed. At that point, I should have walked away but I didn't. I wanted to take my mom on a nice trip for Christmas and this was an affordable way to do it. We might have been able to get out in under 6 hours if we had simply kept saying no, no, no. We failed in attempting to be humanly polite and not horribly rude. We pretty much spent an entire vacation day on this. I can't say if you could get out sooner or not, I only know that their presentation was different enough from my expectations of a timeshare that we were there for 6 hours.

So... if you are strong enough to keep saying no, early and often, and you run across the opportunity to stay here on the property, do so. If you can find a good deal without being required to attend a presentation, that's even better. Disregarding the big sell we had to waste time on, this was simply a gorgeous property with excellent and professional staff. Not a party place while we were there, but more laid back. That might change in the high season, though.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
17 Thank Dagony
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We booked this hotel and were told the hotel is doing some renovations so they offer us a great up grade to their sister property next door. We were really happy with the up grade and asked the front desk people to show us the ocean breeze even if the hotel was closed. The hotel is great and super private and secluded. We are ready to book again for January with a group of friends.

Room Tip: Great price and very close to Playa del carmen
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple