“Beautiful but Pricey”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The rooms at the Grand Luxxe are just that, very Luxxe. Getting around is by shuttle but there is a central area and once you arrive you can walk to the many pools and restaurants. The prices at the restaurants are pricey and the Wine is over the top high priced. The food is very good and the service is top notch. I found that 2 persons couls share an appetizer and a meal and be sufficiently full but over priced for the serving amounts. Take water shoes to swim or snorkle as the beach has an abundance of coral and no swimming area.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the third level unless you like looking into the jungle.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank golfman62
There are newer reviews for Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wonderful accommodations, very clean, excellent service orientated staff.
Restaurants were just OK, with the exception of the Burger Place at the Grand Luxxe POOL. It was exceptional, too bad it closed by 5:00pm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Probably the nicest property at GRAND MAYAN RESORT. You feel as if you are in a jungle setting. Very relaxing surroundings. We stayed in a two bedroom unit. It had a balcony off each bedroom and complete privacy. The service on the entire resort is impeccable. Friendliest staff of anywhere we have been. One draw back to this resort is that there is very little to do other than swimming in their beautiful pool complex or relaxing. This is definately an adult centered resort. We stayed on the second level and were very happy with the view and peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Second level is much better than ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tedv0706
Reviewed 28 August 2013

if you're lucky enough to stay here, enjoy! Best without kids. I wish that people with kids would go to the other areas of the resorts though. The grand luxxe area is better suited for an adult only part of the resort

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shlossman
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am actually writing this review on my final day at this resort. It's raining outside and it has been since morning. And honestly, there is NOTHING to do in the rain. I have visited the gift shop plenty, there is little to watch on tv, I finished the book I was reading and so I thought I would write the review that I promised the concierge I would write before my visit.

The week started out very well but, by day three -- I was exhausted by having to take a golf cart everywhere. There are about 5/6 restaurants on site which offer okay food. It's certainly not the best I have ever had and there are no lower priced meals to speak of. Fortunately, with the exchange rate, we are spending a bit less than what is noted on the menu but still.....

There are so many things the staff will not share with you starting with the fact you can easily take public transportation to town. Instead, they push the resort shuttle, which costs 5 US dollars, per person, per trip. If one wants to dine in Playa del Carmen, it's an expensive venture, unless you know how to get to the main road. Ask about the shuttle with the blue flag. One of the staff members shared with us (on day five) that you can take a taxi to the main entrance as well. That turned out to be the most reasonable and convenient way to travel to Playa. Had we known this earlier in the week, we would have spent more nights in town. But I suppose that's the idea -- they want to keep you on site because you will spend more here.

The resort was clean and the studio room was large but there was no kitchen facility where we could cook. We rented this "villa" through Interval and I emailed the concierge many times requesting an upgrade to a one BR villa but they ignored the request for weeks and wouldn't even consider it -- even when I offered to pay for the upgrade. When we arrived, they "checked" to see if there were any one BR villas WITH kitchens available and then told us there were not as it was the "high" season. While writing this review, I heard other guests check in (owners) who asked if one of the restaurants was open today. The woman at the concierge said, "no, because it's low season." I am a little confused about that. Regardless, it does feel as though many of the people here are insincere (not all of them) and mostly interested in selling, selling, selling their timeshare to people. If they aren't interested in pleasing Interval members, then it might be a good idea for them to stop offering units to them. Honestly, I think they reserve a few studios strictly for II members to lure them here for their EXTREMELY pushy timeshare presentation.

Again, the place is really beautiful looking but after three days, it starts to wear on you. I read the reviews before arriving and when I first arrived, felt happy as it seemed the more negative reviews were a little harsh. But after a few days, I started to get fed up with the whole thing. And I am really looking forward to getting back home tomorrow.

Last summer, we vacationed for ten days at Sirena del Mar in Cabo. It was a small, personal resort and we completely LOVED every minute of it -- felt like we were leaving a small group of friends when we departed. Access to town was a piece of cake and there were many excellent local eateries and specials at the hotel pool. We never felt taken advantage of or trapped at the resort. Anyway, I think there are many other places that are more desirable.

I do appreciate the cleanliness and many of the people who are employed by the resort. The burger place is good (by the Luxxe pool) but it's only open until 5 p.m. I guess it's the low/high??? season.

Overall, not what I was hoping for. If we had been given the opportunity to upgrade, I believe our experience would have been better because we could have eaten some of our meals in our room. We had two studios because there were six of us. There was nowhere for us to gather together as a group unless we went out and spent a fortune eating in the hotel restaurants. It's been a long week and definitely not the relaxing week we had hoped for. Sorry, Luxxe.

Room Tip: A good room? I think they are all the same but it does seem like building one is a little better an...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Naplesinlove
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear timesharepa:

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a detailed review about your experience while staying at Grand Luxxe.We are pleased to learn you liked your accommodations and the resort.

Nonetheless, it was unfortunate though that it rained during your last day with us; still you had the chance to see the brilliant green scenery as the rain gives life to our resort’s foliage and gardens. Additionally, we are disappointed we did not meet your expectations and we take this opportunity to point out as well, that our prices are competitive compared to other luxury resorts.Rest assured this will be addressed by the appropriate areas as we always work hard to have a clear communication with our honored guests. This will help us to continue working hard to achieve excellence.

We hope you visit our resort again so you can truly see what we are about and you get to enjoy beautiful sunny days!

Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya Management.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

If you want a gorgeous room and great evening chocolates come here but I would never recommend this place. Takes forever to get anywhere around the resort as youre always waiting for a shuttle, its near impossible to leave the resort if you actually want to see a bit of mexico; rental cars are extremely over priced and have to be booked a few days in advance, and it takes about 20 minutes shuttle time just to get to your rental!! Food is decent but at your typically overpriced rate. Towards the end of my stay i could not sleep as these tropical birds did not stop ( I understand its nature so you cant control it, but considering all the negatives, it makes this place even harder to accept). Most importantly, I felt like nothing but someone with a fat wallet (which I do not have) and if youre not interested in their time share bit they will treat you not like a guest , but a much "less-than" type person. Its really a shame. They need to up their authenticity towards their GUEST, respect their guests and you get a real sense that this all needs to start at the top. Its all way too corporate for my taste and even tho many of the hotel staff seem to work very hard there is definitely something that is missing. I would never go here or recommend it to anyone unless they had a lot of money to burn, didnt want to leave the resort and wanted to be harassed by time share vultures.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank mmwalton2011

Dear mmwalton2011:

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at Grand Luxxe. We are delighted to find out that you enjoyed your room and the amenities.

We are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Nevertheless, this will be shared with the appropriate areas so they can look into each one of your observations, since they work tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience everand we always strive to make each and every one of our guests feel cared for, appreciated and respected.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Best regards,
Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya Management.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I traded a timeshare for a week at the Grand Luxxe. It was like the Ritz. Everyone just wanted to help you. The room was beautiful with a small frig and micrpwave. The bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch. The golf carts pick you up and bring you wherever you want to go. You have the entire resort to use. There were multiple pools, yet the Grand Luxxe pool was only for Grand Luxxe residents. The cabanas surrounding the pool and the ones on the beach were available all the time - not a rental. The bar and restaurant poolside has delicious burgers and drinks. The staff will bring them out to the beach for you. The food in the rest of the restaurants on the entire resort was delicious. The buffets were very good and the Mexican Fiesta was fun and worth it. Open bar for the night was a pleasant surprise. The night activities such as the Beach Party was also worth it. My only complaint was the beach area which is in need of sand.It was very hot in the end of July and the water was warm. I will definitely go back but probably at a different time of year.

Room Tip: I traded a timeshare and had no choice, but if I had one I would choose the studio again.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!