“Wonderful hotel, lovely time”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Middlesex, England
“Wonderful hotel, lovely time”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This is a lovely hotel set among lush gardens that are well maintained. Rooms are in small blocks of a dozen or so rooms, no more than 3 storeys high, and offer spacious accomadation. Beds were comfy. There is a good choice of restuarants and the selection is fine unless you are a very fussy eater. The staff were great; very friendly and helpful. There is a good entertainment programme during the day/evening that caters for all tastes and ages. The only downside was being bitten to bits so stock up on insect repellant and after bite. Overall we were very pleased with our choice and would recommend it although have no experience of other Mexican hotels to compare it with.

2 Thank Ian A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We just got back from the Paraiso Beach and had an amazing time. However, there are some things that will keep us from going back there in the near future.
As mentioned by the other reviewers, the hotel grounds are beautiful. I felt like I was in a village rather then a large resort. We enjoyed the shopping plaza and even went to the disco a few times. There was always something to do and we were never bored. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and always offer a friendly "Hola!" whenever they pass by. I am truly amazed at how hard they all work, from the groundskeepers to the Star Team (entertainment). We stayed in block 32 which is closer to the beach. Air-conditioning in the room worked well and was much needed! Thankfully, there are 2 buffets on each end of the hotel grounds so it wasn't a long walk to get breakfast in the morning. Speaking of walking...yes, it's a fair walk from one end of the hotel to the other but the waking never bothered me. The grounds are so beautiful and lush, there is always something to see, and the walk was needed after all of the buffet food.
All in all, I enjoyed the Iberostar Paraiso Beach but unfortunately, we probably won't be going back anytime soon.
Reason 1: We had to get up at 6:30 in the morning in order to get chairs by the beach that had shelter. It was crazy! Seriously. I read about this from other posts on this site but didn't really think that it would be that bad....but it was. After not finding shade on the first and second day, I woke up at 6:45 to find a spot. As I entered the main walkway, the dash was on as other guests were walking at a rapid pace to the beach. Even before 7, most of the chairs had towels on them and it was hard to find anywhere with shade. Another family and I worked together and we each woke up early every morning and raced down to find shade for one another. It's not a vacation when you have to get up at the crack of dawn just so that you can enjoy a day at the beach and not burn to a crisp. The sad thing was that, often times, towels were on chairs for the whole day without anyone ever sitting there. I'm not sure if it's always this bad but for the 10 days that we were there....it was. Iberostar REALLY needs to put up more palapas. How hard can it be?
Reason 2: The food was okay, but nothing great. And No, I am not a picky eater. We got sick of the food after a few days and there was nothing really that special about the a la cartes. (In my opinion). Also, I was getting pretty grossed out by all of the flies buzzing around and on the food at the open air buffets. (All of the buffets and the Brazilian are open). Some days were worse than others and the buffets closest to the beach were the worst for flies. The snack shack on the beach, though convenient, was especially bad for flies. I live in a city that has a lot of flies and mosquitos in the summer so I am used to them. However, more than once I scooped up a fly along with my eggs, salad, juice, etc. Blech!
Reason 3: After a hot day on the beach, air conditioning in the buffets and theatre would be nice especially in the summer when the nights are often hot and humid.
SO, though I had an awesome time (mostly due to the new friends that we met) there are enough pertinent negatives that would keep me from going back to the Paraiso Beach anytime in the near future. It's too bad, because I loved the hotel, staff, and various activities. I just can't justify going on a vacation where I have to get up so early in the morning.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ywgjets
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This was my first time in Mexico and I was pleased. My boyfriend and I spent a week
at this gorgeous resort and we loved every single minute of it! This hotel offers everything that you might need to relax and enjoy your tropical getaway. The grounds are massive, beautiful, and extremely well maintained. You find yourself surrounded by exotic animals and birds. The beach is breath-taking with its white sand and clear, turquoise water. The all inclusive bar makes it all seem even more perfect :) For those that are concerned about food, you should not worry; there is enough variety to suit everyone's tastes. The quality of food is also good. We were also happy with the entertainment on site. They try to accommodate and create a fun atmosphere for different age groups. If that is not enough, you can always go to Playa del Carmen (little tourist town 20 min. from the resort) and go crazy there.

2 Thank Info_Girl2011
Burdett, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2011

All in all this was a very nice hotel. It's very big but there are golf carts that can shuttle you around. Beach was crowded but still very nice, white sand, blue water. Rocky/coral areas all around so the snorkeling is probably pretty good although we never went. Shopping plaza within walking distance, and very safe. Staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Bell boy service is very fast....showed up right after I called. Room was nice. Only bad things were the mosquitoes and the food was just ok, nothing special. Great scenery with animals like peacocks, swans, flamingos, and coatis roaming around. Would definitely return to this resort. Would also recommend doing the Coba all day excursion.

Room Tip: I would recommend trying to get one halfway in between the beach and the main lobby.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank EmilyD87
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My trip was on July 10th. The weather was great, even though forecast for rain everyday, drizzled only on 2 days for no more than 5 mins. Resort is very big, clean rooms, many places to eat at all hours, will never go hungry.

Lets start with the Bad of the hotel, as my trip started out that way.

Rooms
Was given 1st level at Blk 41, the first blk near the lobby. If you ever stay here and are given this blk, ask for change immediately. Peacocks and other wild birds live around the blk. At 0500 hrs, they start screaming something like this "help, help me please please please". Also they crap all over the balcony and you would not be able to use it. After the 3rd night I asked for change and they changed me to Blk 37 and it was quiet.

My wife's Brazilian and was looking forward to the Brazilian Rodizo restaurant. It is suppose to be all u can eat, but they bring 1 type of meat by 1 time and you never see them again. The meats were also lousy. Worst of all, after eating there, my wife and I got sick on our 3rd day there. Stay away from the Brazilian restaurant unless you want the runs and be nauseated for the next whole day.

The Buffets were average. Not a lot of variety for a big hotel. The cakes were also so so. Worse part is no air condition. Having dinner there is sweat sweat and being dined on by mosquitoes. In the mornings, birds will fly in and steal food off your plate if you sit near the ponds.

Theater also no air condition. Again sweat sweat while enjoying bar drinks, mosquitoes also enjoying bloody drinks.

Need to place towel at beach by 0730 hrs if you want a good shaded spot and at the pool by 0900. At those times, beach and pools are empty of humans but many towels sitting on chairs.

No free Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi cost $3 for 15 mins.

The Good -
Star team. They tried their best during the day and night to conduct activities for guest.

Mediterranean restaurant - Air conditioned and the food and dessert was very good. Would have been great if my surf and turf steak was medium rare instead of medium well. If you want medium rare, make sure to ask for rare.

Shopping Center had a ice cream parlor with crepes, 60's style dinner, taco shop and disco. Great place for kids to get snacks and play on the carousel.

The beach had rocks, but good overall. Water was clear and could see fishes swimming.
There was food right on the beach for people who are lazy to leave the beach.

Large pools - great for kids.

The rooms and resort was clean and safe.

My tip to you - pay extra and go next door to the Maya side. Much better looking and had air condition at the lobby, restaurants and bars.
However, if you are not a picky eater, don't mind perspiring at dinner time and at the night shows and do not go with high expectations, you will find the resort quite good and will have a good time.
If you want more service and something 4 stars and up, look else where.

Room Tip: Do not take 1st blk, blk 41. Peacocks start calling at 0500 hrs.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank illuminated2010
OHIO
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Just got back from the Paraiso Beach (July 12-17, 2011). We had a great time, and enjoyed our stay. The grounds are amazing with pools and swim up bars everywhere. We were there as a couple (kids stayed home this year) but there were families there as well and our kids would have loved this resort.
Iberostar Paraiso Beach and Paraiso Del Mar are sister resorts that were both included our all inclusive plan. Both resorts are very nice and have great facilities.
The only bad thing I can say about this resort was that the food was not good. It was edible, but as each day passed, my wife and I were more and more strongly craving better food. The buffet was the same every day with a "twist" of a different regional foods theme, but basically the same options for food. The same breads for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Actually several of the same sides were served for every meal! By our 5th day, we were dreading our trips to go eat becuase of the monotney of the food choices.
The resort also had 5 or 6 "fine resturants" as well. We were able to get a "reservation" for 3 of them for dinner. We ate in the "Steakhouse", The "Japanese" and the "Mexican" resturants. The Japanese grill was actually very good and by far the highlight of this resorts availiable food. Both the mexican and the Steakhouse were awful and we actually left before the meal was over due to the low quality of the food. Both of them offered the same side dish and appetizer options as the buffet (not to good) and served a diiferent main course that was also of very low quality.
This was a great resort with great people and a great beach. The real shame was that the food was so bad that it overshadowed our opinion of the entire place. I dont think that we would return but would instead choose to try another resort!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is halfway from the lobby area to the beach. This place is huge and you will do...
1 Thank MHfry1
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Paraiso Beach from July 10-17. We had a fabulous time and would love to go back. We didnt mind the walking but it was an easy 10 mins from our room to the front lobby area. There were shuttles and one could easily get on. The beach was beautiful. My husband would wake up early and save some chairs at the beach because they are hard to get as the beach gets really busy through out the day. The pool is huge! The room was nice and big, but the bed is on the firm side. The food was good but got redundant. Breakfast and dinner buffets are good but the lunch buffet is just fair. They basically put out the same food everyday. We got lucky and didnt eat at the buffet any nights. We would just go on the waitlist and got lucky...I would rate the restuarants like this:
#1 Mediterranean
#2 Japanese
#3 Steak House
#4 Brazillian
#5 Italian
#6 Mexican

We thought the spa was very pricey. We went to the resort club called galaxy one night and had a lot of fun. They have nightly shows and they are okay. There is no free wii fi...they charge like $5 for 15 minutes.

Overall, this resort is perfect for those wanting a nice relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: take mosquito repellant
1 Thank mb847
#97 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!