“Did not disappoint, but be aware of resort size.”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Did not disappoint, but be aware of resort size.”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I recently suffered a great loss and needed to get away for a while. A lull in my work schedule allowed me to take advantage of an incredible discounted package in mid-November. I had considered various properties and not having been to the Riviera Maya previously I really put weight in other reviews. I also wanted to be relatively close to the activities that interested me including visiting friends in Playa del Carmen.

Due to the last minute nature I ended up travelling alone so the all inclusive resort concept seemed the safest bet. The Iberostar did not disappoint!

Check-in was a bit disorganized after arriving on my tour operator's shuttle as there was no formal queue, but hey, it's Mexico and you're on vacation. The lobby bar was happy to serve cocktails even if you did not have on your resort bracelet yet. The desk clerks usually group guests to go over the property amenities and information. (Note that the exchange rate at the hotel was very competitive however US dollars are accepted everywhere.)

Rooms are in blocks with multiple buildings between the main building and restaurant complex and the beach. I requested and received one midway near the pool (bldg 36). It is a huge resort so if you want to be nearer the food and lobby request a higher number building. I also requested a room facing the pool area as opposed to an outside room that faces the cart path and sister resort next door. All rooms have balconies and it's not unusual to see the peacocks taking perch on a main floor railing - so you might want to consider the 2nd or 3rd floor (there are no elevators however). Rooms are a great size with a couch, chair, small table and desk. There are no real drawers for clothes but ample shelving. Everything was clean, bright and in good repair. The housekeeper made a new towel animal everyday.

The grounds are beautiful with lush greenery and colourful birds and small mammals roaming free. In talking to other visitors staying elsewhere this resort's grounds do rank up there.

The staff is very friendly - EVERYONE says "Ola" and smiles, which on a trip like a did, was a great mood booster. The pool area is large, well designed and very pretty, with a great swim-up bar. This was a slower season so there were ample chaises and "huts" to park yourself. The beach was beautiful, with a bar, lots of chaises, trees and a great view. Swimming was not ideal right in front but a few feet over it was quite nice. It seemed to be windy on the beach all the time so beware little ones and the strong waves and undertow! I was not on the beach too much but it was nice not to be harassed by vendors all the time.

The food, as mentioned in other reviews was not necessarily 5 star but it was good, varied and tasty. And the set-up and view of the grounds from the restaurant could not be beat. With a 7 night stay I was allowed reservations at 3 à-la-carte restaurants. Skip the Italian (I was not the only one who thought so when I was there!). But the Japanese and Steakshouse were excellent.

There are quite a few bars however only one is really open in the evening and the one late night is a bit of a hike away (at the disco). Bring lots of dollar bills to tip the bartender and be sure to request premium brands for straight up drinks (not available at the beach though). The mixed drinks are great and you can ask them for extra tequila no problem.

The main gift shop is actually not badly priced. There is a whole shopping complex and other higher end stores on the site as well. I also found the sister resort next door's gift shop had a few different products.

Could be better:
Even with all the restaurants there are certain times of day where the only place to eat is the pool restaurant or some other small option. So don't miss breakfast! (However there is always 24 hour room service.)

The room service menu is a bit weak but I did try it once for a snack and it was ok. Took the edge off before my late dinner reservation. It came extremely quickly and with a nice presentation.

The mini bar is only restocked every second day (they say). There was always plenty of water however only 3 beers which would not go far if a couple wanted to have cocktails on the balcony before dinner. Ultimately I did not drink even one during my entire stay. (Hint: grab a beer or drink at a bar before heading back to your room and ask for a 2nd to put in the fridge for later.)

I had a running toilet that they came to fix without my asking (not sure how they knew!) however the problem persisted on and off throughout my stay. They ask you to be sure to take any concerns to their attention immediately however just when I would think to call the problem would stop.

The shuttle throughout the resort is not frequent or regular. I gave up and started using the more direct interior path as opposed to the outside path that the shuttle and all the carts use. The walk is very pleasant so this was really not an issue.

The cab shuttle to Playa del Carmen was cheap however the last return is at 8 pm which is quite early if you want to enjoy the night life. A regular cab ride back is $25 however I am told you can negotiate in advance. Not bad for a 25 minute ride!

If you need to talk to the desk staff just hope you don't have a chatty couple in front of you as during off hours there are only one or two staff.

Internet is not included. Wifi time can be purchased and used in the lobby at a cost of about $3 for 15 minutes. Whatever time you buy has to be used in one "sitting" so unless you plan on surfing don't buy too much at one time. The cost can be added to your room bill.

The nightly shows were well attended and I did pop in to see what was going on however they seemed a bit amateurish. Everyone was having fun though and the staff works hard to have a lot of interactiveness in the programs.

You have to formally check out and when I saw a long line one morning I decided to try and clear my bill the night before. This was fine for outstanding charges and returning my pool towel card, however you do still need to turn in your key card in the morning. Fortunately this took no time at all on my check out day.

Overall the concerns were minor and I would highly recommend this property to everyone. I'm not sure what the cost would be during peak season but the value I received was incredible.It is easily a 4 star resort.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Roadtriplover64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My review and rating are based on the price which we paid. If you get it for a good deal (as we did) it will be worth it. If you pay a high price, expecting it to live up to other Iberostar Resorts, you will be disappointed. Other Iberostar resorts we have stayed at have been supieror.

Service: This resort has impeccable service. Any issue that occurred was resolved immediately.

Room: We changed our room because the cabinet door to the refrigerator would not open. Our shower in the next room was broken and had to be repaired. Both things were taken care of immediately. Rooms are large, but there aren’t any drawers to put your clothes in. There are a few shelves in the closet. The shower head is only around 5'5" tall but it is hand held and the head is removable.

Pool: The pool is very nice. It's large with plenty of shade spots under palapas. The quiet pool is winding and narrow, while the bar and activity pools were larger. The animation staff members are very personable. They work very hard to make sure you are having good time. I believe this is one of the main reasons why the resorts receives its high marks.

Food: Quite horrible considering this is a 5 star resort. The meat and seafood were often undercooked and they did not replenish the food quickly. There was not a large variety of fruit or deserts. A lot of the meat had bones and was over salted. The seafood selection was low.
The specialty restaurants were not very good, we preferred buffets. The specialty restaurants were very disorganized even though reservations were made. When it was time to let people in we would have to stand huddled near the attendant so we didn't get passed up in line. There was no organization as to who arrived first or later.

Beach: The beach does not have palm trees, only palapas. We were always able to find a seat under one. I'm not sure if it was because of the weather, but the waves were very rough. It created a steep erosion, so it was hard to walk up and down the beach. I enjoy the waves, but as I saw, it would not be fun for older people who were easily pushed down by them.

Trolley: The trolley runs all day, we never waited more than 5 minutes for one. This was a very nice feature since the resort is so large.

Collectivo to Playa Del Carmen: It meets at the lobby of the Del Mar during scheduled times. It's $5 one way, $10 round trip, per person. It lets you off at the start of phase 2 in Playa Del Carmen at a bar restaurant.

Shopping Mall across from the Iberostar Lindo: It looks like it was a nice area at one time, but has declined. Only a handful of stores remain open which charge outrageous prices. Many reviewers said to try the crepes and ice cream place. We did but it did not taste good at all. They have a merry-go-round for children, but it was deserted most times we visited.

Drinks: Not a big selection. They only had alcohol and wash drinks. We were hoping for a more fruity drinks.

Two tips: bring sneakers and bug repellant. The resort is in the middle of the jungle so even if you catch the trolley, you will still be doing a lot of walking around the landscaped jungle. While walking, is when the bugs like to attack and you will get bites.

All in all it was a great vacation because of the animation staff and price.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank cancundec2011
NYC, NY
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This was our 2nd visit to the Iberostar Paraiso Beach and of all the hotels we've been to in the area, still consider the Iberostar family one of the best. Beautiful hotel with nice jungle-like grounds (unlike some of the newer resorts), good food and mostly great service. Great place if you have small children. My daughter loved the clown who goes around making balloon animals and the kids club there really tries to engage. A clown who makes balloon animals might seem like a small thing, but it shows an attention to detail that a lot of other Riviera Maya resorts lack (we've been to the area more than 5 times).

We only have 3 gripes: (1) unlike our last visit, the mosquitoes were a problem this time, (2) the mattresses were way too soft (Iberostar management - this property has been around for close to a decade now, please put down a few bucks for some new mattresses!) and (3) trolley frequency was a joke. My husband, daughter and I all have about 10 mosquito bites each, which really put a damper on our vacation. The mattresses were so soft that my husband had to get 2 massages. As for the trolley, they come so rarely, good luck getting one. We waited a half an hour for one the other night.

Overall, it's still a great resort though and one that we would definitely revisit!

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank alice
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My husband and I have stayed at an Iberostar property twice previously in Jamaica, and talked our friends from Colorado into staying at the Iberostar in Riviera Maya. As expected the property was beautiful. The grounds were immaculate, rooms were comfortable and clean. I did think the food selection in the buffet restaurant was not as good as we expected from previous experiences.

We did upon arrival ask for rooms in a specific building because of other reviews I had read on Trip Advisor which warned of the size of the property and the walking distances. The staff was very accommodating, we were in building 34 about half way between the beach and the lobby. We actually didn't mind the walkiing especially after dinner, not so much though when it rained.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank lhanko
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Too spread out , even though shuttle carts available, never one when you want it. Also only exchange privelege with 1 of the other 4 resorts in the complex.
Buffet food was plain, boring, repetitive and not as much selection as others we have stayed at. Both wife and I got Mexican flu -first time of 5 trip to Mexico. Also the service was not great, although they were freindly and tried. Could not get wash cloths for 3 days, even after calling 3 tiimes and being assured they would be sent. Bartenders would not/could not mix fancy drinks available at other resorts, only basic mixes.
Although they advetised snorkelling equipment available, nowhere to see anything locally and staff promoted boat trips to other sites($). Resort appeared run down, tarps on roofs that needed repair, chipped floor tiles, limited sports equipment and no replacements available if something broke - like archery arrows down to 1 at the end of the week.

Room Tip: Try a different resort.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gd454
Chicoutimi, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The rooms at the hotel were probably the best I've seen at any four-star resort. The rooms were very clean, and spacious. I was lucky enough to get a king size bed with a walking shower which was very nice.

The only bad thing about the rooms is that the hotel is stretched out over a large area and if you were located far from the lobby, you had to walk a fairly long distance which could become very annoying.

The food was what you can typically expect from an all-inclusive. I am not very difficult when it comes to food and I don't think there is anything different from this resort compared to others. If you like all-inclusive buffet then you should be okay. There were a five à la carte restaurants which were pretty good. I went to the Asian themed restaurant twice during my week and it was pretty good.

During my week, the people that were there provided a pretty good atmosphere at the pool area. The pool area is fairly big and there are different pools which allow for different family situations to be accommodated [young families, young adults, singles,...]. The drinks served at the pool were pretty watered down but that is to be expected at an all-inclusive.

The beach was very nice. The area was generally clean and there was no rocks at the beach area. many people that have visited the area before said that this hotel probably had the best speech of the area.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. They were always making efforts to please the guests at the hotel. The evening shows are what you could expect from an all-inclusive resort but in general, the evenings were pretty packed during the nightly representations.

One of the big downfalls from this hotel is that you had to pay for the Internet. The price came out to about $12 an hour which is pretty ridiculous. I have been that all-inclusive hotels before and I usually pick one that has free Internet. But this one didn't and when we had to stay in because we had to tell and of a hurricane there was not much to do, free Internet would have been nice to have as I refuse to pay an insane amount of money for Internet.

My overall experience at this hotel was very positive and I would probably return if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
#70 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#42 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!