“Momma needed a vacation!”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Momma needed a vacation!”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Awesome vacation! This was my first time to Mexico and I was traveling by myself, but with a group from my city. The resort is wonderful! I made sure to eat at the buffets and at 3 of the speciality restaurants. I did the Japanese, the Mexican, and the Mediterranean. The hibachi was fun and tasty, except for the octopus. The Mexican was laid back and delicious as well. My favorite was the Mediterranean, I had surf and surf for dinner, with 2 lobster tails. YUM! But the best part was a chocolate dessert the had. Dark chocolate shell with chocolate mousse inside. OMG! so good! The buffets never ran out of food that tasted good and was hot when it needed to be.
I stayed in building 37 and felt it was close enough for everything. The room was clean and large with a walk in shower. The A/C worked well and kept me cool at night. The only day I was offered a shuttle was on the last day. Otherwise they never stopped to pick us up. I was ok with that. With all the eating, the walking was worth it. I found that if I didn't want to walk on the main path, I just cut through all the buildings on the way in.
The beach was wonderful. The flags were red every day, but you could still go in. There was never a shortage of chairs on the beach. The bar on the beach was easy to order drinks from, with self serve soda/water on the side of the building. Bring an insulted mug, it holds more and keeps your drink nice and cold.
The pool area was nicely setup. It was hard to find the towel stand right away, but after I found it, I never lost it. It was hard to find a chair around the pools. It seemed that all of them were already claimed. At that point, I just put my stuff on a planter near the pool I was in. The service at the pool bar depended on how busy it was. But I never had to wait very long.
I went to the disco one night. The smell that hits your nose as you walk in....hold your breath. It smells like cat urine. You do get used to it after awhile. The drinks were good, with lots of shots going around. The dance floor is big enough to handle everyone. I didn't shop at the attached shopping area, but decided instead to take the shuttle into Playa to shop. The driver picked us up exactly where he said he would and at the correct time too. I got a lot of good deals.
Overall, the trip was wonderful! The resort is beautiful! The staff was very friendly. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank smurf2001
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such a positive comment about Iberostar Paraiso Beach on trip advisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay so much with us.

We really appreciate that you treasure the hotel facilities, our cuisine and our staff.

It is vey important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded.

It’s a pleasure to hear this all has made your holiday in Mexico special and we will try to make our best to hold our standards as well as to move forwards. It would be a pleasur to welcome you again in Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

Kindest regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Helpful and friendly staff. Quick checkin. Iberostar Paraiso Beach Resort "hotel room" (privileges@delMar) had everything we requested/needed. Room clean, lots of hot water, good A/C, frig. Buffet has good selection, we did Steak house, Italian (least favorite) and Brazilian ala cartes. Food was good,certainly did not go hungry.....again very hard to keep buffet food warm. Bar service fast and good variety. Beach is the jewel, huge, lots of shade, first resort we did not have to do the 6 am reserving a palapa......also there was beach bar service. We took a late checkout for a nominal fee.......great for us since we did not leave till 4pm. Best Day travel works with Westjet, thanks to Jackie for her assistance.......we luved Xel-ha. Prompt transport from/to Cancun airport. Grounds are stunning - peacocks, flamingos, "racoons" all over the place. We found this resort, even though huge to be very quiet. We did not spend time @the pool as we are beach people. There was lots of stuff for kids to do.The property has 5 resorts: delMar, Beach, Lindo, Maya and Grande
Westjet flight, March 3-10th out of Hamilton, Ontario. Wow, nice smooth departure/return. Much better than Toronto's Pearson.......
We would return here......

Room Tip: we stayed in 3100 building, this was close to beach, pool, bar, beach grill, and the Brazilian resta...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mypelican
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your detailed review about your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach. We appreciate that you took the time to generously give some details about your experinece with the Restaurants, food, beach, ground. We are also pleased to learn that you enjoyed your holidays and you had a great day at Xel-ha.

As a hotel, guest satisfaction is our top priority and reviews like yours are encouraging us to keep working hard.

Thank you for your feedback and for considering us for a next vacation. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may need. We will be more than pleased to welcome you back.

Warmest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife, 4 year old son, 2 year old daughter, and I returned from the Iberostar Paraiso Beach (February 22 to February 29, 2012). This was our second trip here and this was the only place we’ve ever thought about coming back to. I thought I’d try to answer some common questions to help you decide if this place is right for you.

Is it safe?
We’ve all heard news stories that make Mexico seem dangerous for travelers. Take it with a grain of salt and get the facts straight. I felt very safe in the resort and in the Mayan overall. I have a family and I take their well being seriously. Trust me; I would never put them in harms way. The staff at the resort were all friendly and one instance really stood out for us. One night we left the buffet but we forgot our beach bag behind. In it were my wife’s digital SLR camera and my digital video camera. Sergio, the head waiter, came running after us with the bag. He insisted we check it to make sure nothing was missing; everything was there. We certainly appreciated his honesty and his constant checking on us.

Is it a big resort?
Yes, it is – as is many others in the Riviera Maya. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the top where the lobby is to the bottom at the beach. There is a shuttle you can take up and down or you can burn off the calories and walk. The benefit of the size is the scenery. The resort is extremely beautiful and well maintained. There are lots of animals to view – look for the white peacock.

How is the food?
If you like authentic Mexican food then you’ll like the food here. If you don’t, then perhaps Mexico isn’t right for you. We enjoyed the food. My wife had pico de gallo for every meal all week long. If you want something to eat 24 hours a day, there is always somewhere to eat. If you want variety, the a la carte restaurants are a good choice – I recommend the Mexican and Japanese. The buffet has variety but the menu choices don’t change too much from one day to the next. There was a Mexican night with more authentic Mexican options and one night even had sushi, which was OK. My favourite was the paella on the beach. It was so good and it had huge shrimp, clams, and mussels.

How is the alcohol?
I have to admit I was a lush at times with a mojito in both hands. But hey, I was on vacation. The mojitos were great and I tried other drinks too. At the Mexican restaurant I asked for Tequila – they brought around a cart full of Tequila to choose from. You might ask: are the drinks watered down? I didn’t think so. I hear this as a common complaint at many all-inclusive resorts. Guess what, there is a simple solution if the alcohol content isn’t high enough for you – ask for a double. You’re at an all-inclusive – you can get more alcohol if you ask – duh.

Is the beach clean?
Last year at the same time, I remember the beach was very clean. This year there was quite a bit of sea weed. This isn’t isolated to this resort as other travelers up and down the coast commented on it. I did see the staff one early morning cleaning it all from the beach. Is the beach rocky or sandy? There is a rocky part (in front of the broken pier) but if you move over (to the right) about 20 feet or so you’ll get to the soft sand. I didn’t need water socks or anything. If anyone complains about the rocks, they didn’t move over enough.

How is the service?
The staff work very hard to make you happy. As return guests, we had a few perks but the front desk registration was great, quick and we got the building we requested. The Star Friends (animacion team) are fantastic. I’ve been to other resorts where the animacion team focuses their attention only on young attractive women. At the Iberostar Paraiso Beach, they work hard to include everyone regardless of their age or gender. They were great to my kids – thanks Lulu and Jessica in Lucy’s Club – thanks Miguel, Daniella and Joshua. Overall, everyone is very friendly. My kids said “hola” to everyone in ear shot and my kids received an “hola” back.

Would I go back?
Yes. This was our second trip here and we’ll certainly come again. Feel free to check out my last review on this resort a year ago.

Is this resort right for you?
This is a personal question; the resort was right for us. I strongly suggest you think about what is important to you. Go to the forums and learn as much as you can from others who have been to the resort - some many times. Browse or ask your questions. The more informed you are, the more likely you'll pick a place that matches your expectations. Most importantly, (sorry if I sound philosophical) life is an echo - you get what you give. Show up with a crabby attitude and you may not find people around you very happy. Come with a smile and you'll get a smile. Finally, remember you are in a beautiful place and the employees work for little money but strive to make you happy. Just appreciate it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
17 Thank Kretikos
Dear Guest,

We express our sincere gratitude for your kind review. It is nice to hear that the hotel setting, wildlife scenery, bars, restaurants and staff made your vacation so memorable.
It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again and help in creating new memories.

We certainly look forward to your third visit!

Warm regards,

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I travelled to the Iberostar Beach Resort for the fourth time this February and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine and experience from Feb 25 to March 3. Knowing what to expect did not in any way diminish the experience.
(If you land on a Saturday, be prepared to take 2 hours from landing to leaving the airport.)
I arrived at check in around 8 in the evening and as a returning visitor, was upgraded to a junior suite (Bldg 31) which was very nice. Always pleasant to be appreciated. A quick stop at my room and I started the vacation with dinner and the show.
Anyone who has been here knows the grounds are beautiful. Well-kept and clean, it was always a pleasure to stroll and I made sure I covered many different pathways, even if it meant going out of my way. That always helps to keep the weight down! Similarly, you need to know that you will do a lot of walking. This is a very large resort, and I can run 5-7 km without having to retrace my steps.
The food was fine. I ate at the buffet the whole week, not really wanting to go to the a la cartes, since I was on my own. I found the food tasty, maybe even a bit spicier than last year. There was always a good variety and I particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit, especially the guava and passion fruit. Skip the wine if you appreciate great wine, but the sparkling wine was fine.
The pools were lovely: a good temperature in the morning getting warmer as the day progressed. I was always near the dart board, which has been "my spot" each time. I never had trouble getting a chair. The bar was fine: Victor always remembered I was a beer guy. Cannot comment on the liquor-not my style. Occasional waitress service, but I never mind getting up and moving around, so I was not concerned with frequency.
The beach was lovely and always had room. The problem with the Mayan Riviera is the winds: I have rarely seen anything but a red flag here or at the other five resorts I have tried. I went in the ocean twice briefly and decided it was neither pleasant nor safe, because of the wave action. Back to the pool.
Great staff: energetic and friendly. I ended up participating more than I had planned because of that. With rare exception, the visitors were friendly too, and I had great chats with people from many parts of Canada, the US and Austria.
I'm thinking I have not said anything unique in this review. I like the place enough to go four times. I may even go back in a couple of years. As you read these reviews, remember everyone is different and some people have rose coloured glasses and some people wear blinders. Is it perfect? No, but pretty darn close, in my humble opinion.
Enjoy and relax!

Room Tip: Try not to be on the ground floor if you do not like peacocks. They will visit you!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank calgaryguy
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review commending our staff, rooms, restaurants, bars, daily activities, swimming pool, grounds. We are grateful for each review as each one assists us in evaluating our services.

We are committed to provide a high quality of service in relaxing atmosphere. It is rewarding to see that your 4th experience lived up to your expectation.

Thank you for being part of the "Iberostar family" and for contempling us for a next visit.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back!

Best Regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed 2 weeks from Feb 19-Mar04/12.
In the 4-4+ star rating this was an excellent resort and compares very favourably in quality with the IB Costa Dorada & IB Dominicana we've previously stayed in the Dominican Republic. We met many return visitors to this resort during our stay all of whom had high praise.
Beach - large with nice sand. Very swimmable. Beach bar & snack bar.
Pool - large, depth varied from waist to shoulder high which is nice. Very sculpted design and eyecatching features including waterfall at one end. Two swim-up bars very busy and noisy in afternoons.
Accomodations - Rooms are comfortable and cleaned daily. Shower and tub in BR.
Food - Buffet resaurant is very good, lots of variety, we never grew tired of eating there. And the restaurant location and layout is beautiful. A la cartes were very good. Service in all was excellent, friendly, and attentive.
Resort - grounds are extensive, beautiful, nicely lanscaped, clean. Animals abound.....peacocks, swans, racoon-like creatures roam in treed areas and mooch at poolside restaurant.
Transportation - somewhat disappointing. Advertised as scheduled service around property it was not so....more hit and miss....this is a large linear resort front (buffet & theatre) to beach so transport is necessary for those with limited mobility (us) and we waited too long at times for a cart to appear on a run. However I must say that the Bellboys at the front entrance would always cheerfully run a get a cart to drive us back to our room whenever we appeared at front lobby after dinner or the show. Several guests commented on the unreliable transportation issue and I complained to Guest Services....service improved our second week.
Highly recommend this resort & would return in a heartbeat. Our experience is that Iberostar is a reliable brand that offers a consistently high quality product.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Larry T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments about the Iberostar Paraiso Beach. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests. Please be assured that I will share your feedback with the rest of the team who will be very happy to read your comments.

Kind Regards,

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just got back from Iberostar Paraiso Beach and thought a review might be in order. My friend was got married at the resort, which is why I stayed here. Overall, I had a fine time. Here's my breakdown from best to worst:

The Wedding
This is, of course, the most important part of the review since this was the primary focus of the trip. I have to say, the resort and the wedding planner did a wonderful job arranging the wedding, setting up the space and trouble shooting some last minute glitches. Bride and groom were happy and the backdrop against the ocean was a perfect setting for their vows. I have to give a shout out to the wedding DJ too because I don't think I sat down for more than 5 minutes at the reception. Everyone was having way too much fun on the dance floor.

Drinks/Pool Area
The pool area was fantastic. We always found chairs and there was a good mix of sunny and shady spots. The water was a good temp and the facilities very clean. The beach was very windy so we spent most of the time at the pool and no one was disappointed. Drinks were great - tip $1 every so often and you'll get a better spike.

Beach
Beautiful Caribbean waters. Plenty of chairs. Lots of sun. People were enjoying their beach massages too. I didn't get one because I was sunburned but lots of people in our group did and they loved it (same with the spa).

Rooms
I had a Junior Suite in the 30 block and it was spacious, clean and close to the pool and beach area. No complaints.

Now the bad....

Internet Access
Iberostar - it's 2012. Can we find a way to get Wi-Fi in the rooms please? Also, I think $5/30 minutes is a little much, don't you? I felt like the resort was extorting its customers for internet access (which is only available in the lobby). Most every hotel in the world now has a computer center with free internet. If you have to charge for WiFi, fine, but you should provide a couple of computers with free internet for people that need it for travel/communications reasons.

Everyone in my group pretty much agreed that the food was terrible. I ate burgers every day because the prepared foods were sitting out and not at all appetizing. But even the burgers were overcooked and dry. My dinner at the Italian restaurant was inedible (penne arrabiata) - the noodles were falling apart and I've never had pasta sauce so salty. The Mexican restaurant was better, but still not up to par. I always try to find the good in something but there were no redeeming qualities here - not even with the food at the wedding.

Overall, I think this resort does a lot of things right (service, cleanliness, pools) but the food situation is a deal breaker for me. I would have a hard time paying to stay here again until it's addressed.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the 3000 blocks if you want to be close to the beach/pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank LindsayPaige
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much, for your comments, we really appreciate them since they help us to always improve our services and facilities.

We would like to apologize for any of the circumstances or expectations we had not been able to fulfill during your last stay at our hotel. Your comments are taken very seriously and they show us some of the areas where we should keep working to offer a better service for our guests. I can assure you, that we will be doing our best effort and the issues you are mentioning will be shared with the right areas to take them into consideration and try to improve them.
Once again we thank you so much for your comments, from which we are learning a bit more on how to be the best hotel for the best guests.

Sincerely yours,

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed at the Paraiso Beach from Jan. 2-9th, 2012.

This is quite a large resort. Long and narrow starting with the lobby area with most of the restaurants, then the buildings with rooms, pool...and finally the beach. The other Iberostar resorts run parallel to each other, and are all connected with paths. Some people found they got lost between the resorts, but the buildings in each resort have different rooves, so you can tell them apart.

My husband and I were in building 36 which was located towards the middle of the resort, just at the start of the endless pool area. My sister, brother-in-law and 78 year-old mom were in building 41 which was closest to the lobby area. Although Mom gets around quite well, this location was VERY good for them, as it was close to the lobby, buffet, most restaurants, and the evening entertainment. There is quite a bit of walking involved at this resort, but there is a trolley that circles around, but not on any particular schedule. There are golf carts always cruising around, and you can often stop one and ask for a ride. When we had dinner at a restaurant near the beach, they called for a golf cart to come and pick us up as that would be about a 10 minute walk for Mom back to her room at the end of the night. Their room was also on the main floor which was good as there are no elevators and stairs are a bit difficult for her. The buildings are 3 stories. Some complained about the peacocks being on the railings of the balconies of the main floor level, but we thought it was wonderful to be able to see the birds up close! The rooms were clean and comfortable.

Lots of wildlife to be seen at this resort! Peacocks, peahens, quinea fowl, coatis, parrots, swans, turtles, fish, geckos, iguanas, pelicans....

We did not require insect spray.

The pool area is gorgeus! Long, winding "river-like" pools, large open areas, volleyball area, lounges built into the water, 3 swim-up bars. There is no shortage of lounge chairs and cabanas at either the beach or the pool. If you are traveling with younger children, staying at the Lindo may be a good idea, as their kids club looked rather extensive, and they have a wave pool, kids water play area with a pirate ship and lazy river. Guests can access these pools from the sister resorts, but it may be more convenient to just stay there. The Paraiso did have a kids club as well.

The food at the buffet was decent. We enjoyed the mexican night the best. The pozole soup was amazing! The basa fish was always delicious, and made to order omelettes were great. For a la carte dining, we reserved the Brazilian, Steakhouse, and Mexican. The majority of us enjoyed the steakhouse the best, however, the ribs were quite fatty, with not a lot of meat on them...but they were tasty. Although we didn't particularly care for much of the food at the Brazilian restaurant, we did not starve, and it was entertaining! The Mexican was adequate. We heard too late that the steak and lobster at the Mediterranean was amazing. The coconut icecream, nachos with fresh guacamole, salsa and lime were favorites! In the shopping area, there are several places to eat that are ALL INCLUSIVE as well. We heard the tacos were amazing, and although we weren't hungry, we had to try them. We were NOT disappointed. They were VERY good. They are just little ones, so great for a snack, but you can order as many as you like. We heard the creperie was very good as well, but did not try it.

Others have mentioned that Daniel at the front desk was awesome, and spoke perfect English. We concure!

We booked tours through the tour desk at the hotel. Marisol (I think that was her name) was amazing! Very helpful, honest, and was always looking out for what would be best for our Mom. She went out of her way to come and meet Mom, and gave her a big hug. She personally met us in the lobby on the days of our excursions and made sure we were on the right van, knew where and when our pickup times would be, and that we had everything we needed. She worked very long hours, and was very efficient and always cheerful. Any excursion you book through her is full refundable if you decide not to go for whatever reason. We went to Xcaret and Xel-Ha, and enjoyed both immensly.

The beach was long and clean. Lots of big waves to play in. We are not sure if the water is ever calm there, as it was quite windy for most of our stay.

We traveled with Sunwing, and our rep never did show up for our orientation. I think he was eventually fired and replaced. It is a good thing we have traveled a lot, so we didn't REALLY need an orientation. Not good for 1st time travellers though.

Evening entertainment was so-so.

We took the shuttle to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen to shop one afternoon. $5US/person each way. Had to pick it up at the Maya next door. Mom didn't come which was a good thing, as it is a long street with a lot of walking on bricks, so would have been exhausting for her. Some working in the shops are a bit pushy and want you to barter. Others their prices are fixed and they are not at all pushy. A lot of the people are very hard-working. Two staff members from our resort were working in relatives' shops on 5th avenue on their days off from the resort. They both recognized us, and were very friendly.

Would we recomment this resort? Yes. Would we go back? Possibly, but we like to travel to different places.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lobby and on the main floor are good for those with mobility issues. You can aw...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
#97 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!