Iberostar Paraiso Beach
US$725
US$444
Bookit.com
US$309
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$452
US$416
  • Breakfast included
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa(Playa Maroma)
US$615
US$599
Kin Sol Soleil(Playa Maroma)
US$447
US$390
Catalonia Playa Maroma(Playa Maroma)
US$380
Orbitz.com
US$537
US$517
  • Breakfast included
Amarte Hotel(Playa Maroma)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$73
BestDay.com
5,571 results
All reviewsparaiso beachspecialty restaurantsstar friendsplaya del carmenjapanese restaurantice creamother resortsmain buffettacoslobby bara la cartesquiet areabuffet foodcrepescloser to the beachtaco shoprecommend this resort
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Iberostar Paraiso Beach hotel, outside Cancun.
5 hotels in the resort but we were not allowed in two of them.

We just returned last night from the Iberostar Paraiso Beach resort. It was OK. I would not rate it a 4 star, more a 3 star hotel.
Staff friendly, most spoke pretty good english

Food was routine, many times we went to the buffet only to find it closed
food that should have been hot, was luke warm
burgers were pink inside
Food that should have been cold was room temperature.

We had infestation of ants in our room, had to vacate the room.
We asked for two double beds, got a king bed, I had to sleep with my adult son, which was not great, so changed rooms
One night the lights and power went out so had to change rooms again.

entertainment was good
they had a magician at night in the buffet he was amazingly talented,

bars friendly

distance from our unit 33 to the buffet was a long walk, walked it about 10 times a day, as no transportation came, feet were sore and blistered so it was a painful walk.
At night it's not well lit along the pathways, and even the golf carts most of them didn't have headlights on.

grounds beautiful and well maintained

Star Friends were amazing, best part of our trip was talking to them every day.

lets face it, food was repetitive and unless you went when it opened, food was cold or luke warm
best part was breakfast where I had them make an omlette for me while I waited.

The butter was disgusting seemed rotten to me.
Fruit was over ripe all the time, so could not eat that.
Beef was absolutely tough as shoe leather impossible to eat.
Food was a problem there.

Coffee was fantastic.

Room Tip: Get a room in the 4000 series or somewhere in the middle, we were down near the pool and the walk 10 times a day back and forth to the reception or buffet was long and hot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank linda m
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing our property for your recent stay in Mexico!

I am very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the restaurant. We have already shared it with our chef and restaurant manager in order to improve and enhance quality. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal,

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the very near future and all remain at your disposal.

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Travelled here for Xmas 2011 for one week from Dec. 21. I'll go backwards in this review. Overall I'd give it an 8 on 10 scale. A lovely resort and fully decorated for xmas with style and not over-the -top like some resorts. The whole structure was clean and staff friendly. Restaurants were good, the best, we believe was the buffet main restaurant at the Beach, to not be confused with the buffet at the Del Mare which is the sister and connected hotel. The only thing that divides them is the huge, fantastic pool in the middle of the two resorts and the two separate check-in receptions. Aside those 2 points, they are the SAME hotel so don't freak if they move you at checkin to the DelMare. Acutally they told us at checkin it was an upgrade and rooms were larger. I'm still not sure, but did see some smaller rooms at the Beach hotel so could be true.
Room (del Mare hotel) - we were in block 11 and thus almost on the beach (10 is beachfront). The advantage is that obviously you a very close to the beach, close to a part of the pool and right by our block was a restaurant for breakfast and lunch and therefore didn't have to trek to the main buffet restaurant. This said, YES IT IS A LONG WALK..I adore walking but after a day in the sun and swimming, etc, go back and forth is a long haul. Do keep this in mind when booking your rooms. If you want to be near the main restaurants where you eat each evening, say so when you book. Likewise is you prefer the pool or the beach. The room was fine, normal and accomadating. Cleaning fine too. It has a nice balcony with table and chairs.
Restaurants - At iberstar you always have access to main buffet restaurants for all meals and you also have the option of booking 3 speciality restaurants. We enjoyed the Steakhouse and thought it was the best. Mexican and French ok too. You get more waiter attention at specialty restaurants but less choice of food.
Xmas Gala - You had to book in advance for the hour and then went to the great meal. Had tons of choices and was very nice. Would love to see other guests dressed up as, hello folks, it's xmas so at least one nite, dress up. I think it would be nice if this was enforced for the special events as that too adds festivity to the meal. Some people were in tshirts and baseball hats....
BEACH - Of all the iberostar hotels (5 I believe) in this complex, the BEACH hotel has the BEST beach area..larger, more chairs, more service and near the sub school. Unfortunately the sea WAS ALWAYS red flag and so therefore could get in, fight with the waves and get out. almost impossbile to swim. A nice picnic type grill restaurant right on beach so no need to change or use coverup..
ACTIVITIES - not overwhelming but present. My 14 yr old liked the activity pool games each day and dance lessons. Nice animators and not pushy.
Families - I think this would be an ideal resort for big families, or reunions as it's big so you're not on top of each other and loads of choices so you can be together or be apart without causing friction. A lot of groups for Xmas and seemed to love love love it.
COMPARISON - Altho' an excellent resort, we went to Iberostar in Dom. Republic, Bayihibe, and must say we preferred it to this one. The reason: it's smaller and thus can get around easier and not so tiring but will all the perks. The structure and design IS IDENTICAL!! Even the xmas decorations the same. The Bayahibe was just a bit more select and international and since smaller, the teens and kids got to meet other kids easier. Interesting to see all the different cultures as that was fun too, whereas at Beach it was 90% americans and canadians.
If you go, you'll have a great time. Be aware that golf and anything outside of the resort is EXPENSIVE, even the transfer to Playa Carmen. You'll probably end up spending 90 percent time at the resort as it's quite a way from other areas.
Have fun.

Room Tip: If you want to be by the beach choose block 11, but it's a good 15 min. walk to reception and restaurant areas for evening meals. Try to get into DelMare as we believe the rooms are larger there, at least that is what we were told at checkin.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank sashacinus
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went with a group of 23 for spring break. The staff was extremely friendly. Grounds were beautiful, and constantly maintained. We marveled at the amount of staff that they must employ. The Star Friends staff tried to get everyone involved and the girls had a great time with the pool and beach games. It was nice having the shopping area nearby as well as the 24 hour medical center staffed by a doctor, which unfortunately, I had to use ( nothing serious, but needed attention). We used the shuttle service to Playa del Carmen ($5 each way), and the staff even adjusted the return time to accomodate us. We had asked to have all of our rooms near each other, and we were somewhat spread out when we arrived. They could not make any adjustments the night of our arrival, but moved us more together the next day. The best: the beach, the pool and the grounds. Food: buffet dinner was so-so, breakfast buffets were good. It was nice to have a buffet on the beach and another close to the beach and pool for lunch. Mexican and Italian restaurants were not great, Steak House and Mediterranean were very good. Many others have commented on the size and amount of walking and that is certainly true - be prepared. However, I had a problem with my foot and had to call several times for a cart to pick me up, and the staff picked me up within minutes each time I called. My one comment is that we wished there was more entertainment at night. The show was at 9:45 each night, and lasted about an hour (one night they had karaoke after the show and it was fun). It would have been nice to have some other options, similar to a cruise, since you really are kind of captive at the resort. All in all, though, we had a great time, and I would love to go back with the rest of my family.

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings 34-32 are closer to the pool, 30-31 closer to the beach, and 39-41 closer to the lobby and restaurants.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank soccermom51

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for all your comments and to inform you we really appreciate your recent stay.

We are glad to know that your stay with us was pleasant and nothing went bad even you had to go to the Medical Centre, we have also sent all your comments to the Chef and the other Departments at the Hotel, we are sure they would be glad to hear all your good reviews and also the improves we could make to make your stay completely enjoyable.

I hope to welcome you back at the Hotel to enjoy more vacations with your family.

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My family of 11 recently visited the Iberostar Paraiso Beach resort during the week of February 21 - 28 and LOVED IT. This was the first time that I had seen my family in over six months, so that alone could've given me a set of rose colour glasses, however I really enjoyed myself and this resort.

Check-In: We had 5 rooms with our group. 4 of the rooms arrived from Toronto midday, so they had to wait a few hours for their room, which is understandable, seeing as the reception was working to ensure that we were all in the same building, which was greatly appreciated. We were in building 35 which was perfectly situated between the lobby, restaurants and pool. It was also quite quiet which was nice.

Rooms: Rooms we clean and simple, just like you would expect in an all inclusive resort. Beds were quite firm, which would be one of my only complaints. I have read on some other reviews that you can ask for a bed cover which makes it softer, so if this is something that really could bother you, that might be a nice solution. Showers were tricky to manoeuvre, but once you figured it out it was fine. I would suggest bringing your own shampoo and hair dryer, some of my family who I travelled with said that the shampoo didn't lather properly and the hair dryer didn't work for me (I have a LOT of hair, if you have fine hair that dries easily, it shouldn't be a problem). Other then that we really enjoyed the luxury of complimentary ROOM SERVICE in an all inclusive. The food is quick and tasty, great for that light snack you might want between pool and dinner time. I had one of the cheese wraps, it was really good!

Food: Food here was really nice. Since we are late risers, we had at the breakfast buffet at one of the snack bars by the pool each morning which was open until 11:30. They certainly didn't have as much selection of the breakfast buffet in the Plaza restaurant in the lobby of the hotel, but they had your standard hot breakfast items. The Plaza restaurant had more of a pastry selection, multiple donuts, banana bread, and other things. We still ate well at the snack bar. Lunch was great, typical burgers, pizza, hotdogs, nachos type stuff. They often have a hot pasta dish which was usually good. Dinner buffets were really great. They had a different theme every night (cajun, Brazilian, oriental, wow, SO good!, etc) The à la carte restaurants we tried were Mediterranean, Italian and Japanese, all three were really good. Surf and Turf was well done, and the Almond Chicken was also really nice was well. Be sure to make your way up to the Shopping Centre. They have a taco bar and creperie which were both hidden gems. Its a little bit of a walk, and certainly in the mid-day heat is may seem like a hike, but the food is well worth it. Have a crepe with Vanilla and Chocolate, my mom really liked that one.

Service/Resort Qualities: All of the staff at this resort were extremely polite and kind. Sure, they are looking for tips, but take into consideration what their salary must be, and the tips are necessary. We tipped a few dollars each day to the pool bartender and he made sure you always had a drink. The disco was fun. They have different theme nights and the staff of the resort will join in and dress up. We went for "Boogie Night" and it was all 70s music. All the men had afros and the girls had jumpsuits. It was really fun. We saw a few of the shows. The props in these shows were AMAZING. The props were ones you'd see in a professional performance. The performers were great too. Each day in the pool, they had a couple "crazy pool games" which people love to get involved in. One day they played "crazy volleyball" where they used a yoga ball instead of a beach ball. The entertainment staff are devoted to there job and ensuring you are enjoying yourself, and you really notice that. You also notice that they are there from the moment you get to the pool in the morning, to the end of the show, which is at 11:00pm each day. Now thats hard work! Beach was nice. I'm quite frightened of birds, so I didn't frequent too much, because there were guests who insisted on feeding the darn birds so they would just swarm the beach. DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS. Don't spoil other guests relaxation!

One thing to remember, especially if you are reading other peoples reviews who may be concerned about the "moldy" smell. It is important that you keep your air conditioning on, and your doors closed. If you turn off your air, and open your doors, you will grow mold in your room from the humidity. That could certainly explain some of the "musty" smells.

All in all, I really really enjoyed this resort. Don't listen to the complaints about the size of the resort. We got rides in golf carts and trams at like 5-6 times in our trip. If you really need help, call the bellman or flag them down, they are more then happy to assist you.
I sincerely hope you enjoy your vacation the way me and my family did!

Room Tip: Building 35 was well centralized.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This all inclusive was a terrific place for couples or families. the entertainment was good, the bars friendly, the buffets quite nice and the rooms nice and clean. The only real downfall would be the distance from the room to certain areas depending on what you need most. So decide if you will be in the pool more than the beach if walking is an issue for you. There are cart/train pick ups but they are not as often as one might like.
The staff working with the teens were terrific. The catamarands are great but you must reserve a spot the day before.
The Brazillian restaurant was our least favorite as far as the food went but the japanese was entertaining and delicious.
The pool was very warm....sometimes a little too warm to feel refreshed but it was nice and clean.
One small issue was that people would put their towel on the lounge chairs early in the day and then never return to them. This made it difficult to find a spot that was not reserved. After a few days we noted that some chairs had towels on them overnight....so we hope the staff will start to clear the chairs regularly.

Overall...pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask if you want to be closest to restaurants, lobby, beach or pool. If stairs are a problem...ask for ground floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family