“Playa Paraiso and other Adjacent Iberostar Properties are Good Quality”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Playa Paraiso and other Adjacent Iberostar Properties are Good Quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Playa Paraiso Beach near Playa del Carmen from May 31-June 5 for a Senior Class Trip. The Iberostar Hotels are good solid hotels. The food was good except for the Mediterranean Restaurant which was just fair. The pasta was undercooked and the shrimp was not shelled. The general cafeteria food was excellent and there was a large variety of food. The Beach was excellent and the Iberostar provided great entertainment and things to do. Their beach crew was very energetic and a lot of fun.
The room was very clean and the house keeping staff was very attentive. The only complaint was the shower/bathtub setup was in need of serious repair (the tub) but the shower worked very well. We did have other people in our group that had toilet, telephone and other small issues but the Iberostar resolved them quickly.
The area of the Iberostar resorts is very large so there is a lot of walking but the bellhops are very punctual for rides and do a great job of taking care of people's needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool and beach. It will save a lot of walking.
4 Thank kgoil
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations in Mexico.

We are more than glad to know your recent experience was amazing and enjoyable. It is a pleasure to know that the service provided by our Staff was great and the animation team, servers and maintenance were always serviceable.

We have passed your feedback on to the Maintenance Department and to the Head Chef to review with them the information you shared with us. It is truly important to us, since it guides us to identify areas of concern that need addressing.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again the warm hospitality of our Staff.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Where do I start? Well I've stayed in the Mayan Riviera four times and the Iberostar is so far the best. It's been three weeks since I've been back and still I find myself lost in thoughts of this place. The service here is top notch from the bar tenders, servers, bell boys,concierge,cleaning staff and grounds keepers. All employee's take tremendous pride in their work and it definitely shows. Nightly entertainment/shows were lots of fun. Bartenders and servers always had a way of remembering your drink of choice. A La cart restaurants were good. Loved the Brazilian steak house. Plenty of activities to do throughout resort. The golf course is amazing!!! If I had to complain which I don't really like to do is that the bed and pillows were a bit stiff. Would definitely recommend this resort to any friend or family. Would love to go back. Definitely trust this chain.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MaBalzaHarry
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso Beach for your vacations.

It is an honor to know that you found everything to be exceptional at our Hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us since it provides us a motivational tool for our Staff.

We are thrilled that you found the service to be top notch and we contributed to making this vacation an unforgettable experience.

We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our vacation was outstanding at Iberostar Playa Paraíso Beach June 6th – 9th. I want to thank Monica Galvan for answering all my questions via email and making dinner reservations for us at the Gourmet restaurant. We stayed in building 32 very near the beach. Bring your walking shoes because the resort is huge. The beach and pools were very nice. The food was great especially the Gourmet, Japanese and Mediterranean restaurants. The disco was fun and my family enjoyed the taco shop at the shopping center. Also, free Wi-Fi at the shopping center complex.

Room Tip: Building 32 is very near the beach.
7 Thank Rudy2011
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We are more than glad to know that your vacations were wonderful and that you enjoyed so much our hotel along with your family. It is an honor to read your comments on the nice work of our Public Relations Manager, Ms. Monica. We will share your comments with her, as it is always very motivational to receive such nice praise.

It would be a true pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy once again our paradisiacal beach and environment.

moline
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I normally write these reviews with my "worked in the industry" hat on. Unfortunately, that hat has a small "7 months pregnant" bird perched on top of it at the moment. I freely admit that somethings may appeal to/bother me based on that fact.

THE GOOD: Mostly everything! The food was generally ok. My Significant Other and I were split down the middle about which Iberostar we've been to had better food. My taste in food might be compromised by pregnancy though. The good news is that even if there were somethings I didn't like, there were so many choices that it was easy to find something I would like. My whole family (all 7 of us) greatly enjoyed the buffets and the Japanese restaurant. The beach was pretty. We barely saw any people selling things. The pools were well maintained (but I'd stay away from the swim up bar unless you're prepared to swim though people who are a bit on the more boisterous side). The employees, outside of one occasion which I'll get to further down, were amazing. I appreciated that they were very solicitous of my elderly father.

THE BAD: The beds in my room were hard. It may have just been my room as we had two other rooms and the rest of my family slept well. I had a horrible time sleeping because it felt like I was sleeping on a slab. I read a few reviews from others about the hard beds and I can see where they are coming from. I almost hesitated to put it under the "bad" section as it may be the fact that I'm pregnant but even my Significant Other said "the bed could be a bit softer". This may be an issue that the hotel can fix for the customer. I had no desire to change rooms though as I was right next to my father's room and wanted to be close in case he needed anything.

THE UGLY: Iberostar Employees (If you're reading this): Just because someone does not start a conversation in Spanish does not mean that he/she (in this case me) cannot understand what you're saying. While I did not have this problem with my section of the resort specifically (Paraiso Beach), Employees from another section (appeared to be the Lindo) felt the need to make fun of me while I was trying to secure a ride for my elderly father from the Spa at the shopping center back to his hotel room. The Spa called a ride for him but they either missed each other or it never came. I'm not sure because I wasn't there for that part. To the credit of the driver, he took my father no questions asked even though he wasn't technically from our section of the hotel and I was grateful that someone was considerate of the elderly. I won't repost what was said for the sake of the filters but it was commentary on my size/appearance. I simply walked past the women and said exactly what I typed above about not counting on a language barrier so they can gossip/make inappropriate comments. This is the second time I've been at an Iberostar where an employee has decided just to say whatever falls out of his/her mouth because he/she assumes that guests cannot understand them.

All in all, I would and probably will return to this resort because my family had a blast. The resort changed their views on what a vacation in Mexico could be like from guarded to enthusiastically planning another trip. One bad bit didn't ruin the whole trip because the service far outshone the negative.

9 Thank Tntt5
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We appreciate you took the time to share your great review with us. It is a pleasure for us to know that everything was so positive and you enjoyed our facilities, services and the environment along with your family.

We deeply regret to know that you experienced this situation during your stay, this is not the service we work hard to offer at our chain and certainly this is not the experience we want our guests to take home. Our Staff is committed to delivering unforgettable vacations to our guests, the management will verify what happened and will take the necessary measures to avoid these incidents in the future. We are terribly sorry and embarrassed about this.

We are glad you will still consider us for your vacations. It would be a true pleasure to offer you another nice stay.

Bathgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Since discovering the Iberostar chain I've been using them for my diving holidays ever since. They're some of the best hotels around I will continue to use them when I can. There's also the fact that they are teamed with a quality diving company, Dressel Divers, who run the watersports and dive centres for all their hotels. It means when I go away I know I'm pretty much assured of a decent quality room in a well appointed hotel, and I will be well looked after by the dive guides and instructors.

This hotel is part of a massive complex containing 5 Iberostar hotels, each slightly more luxurious than the next. The guests of the more expensive hotels get to use all the facilities of the cheaper hotels should they wish, whereas lowed ranked hotel guests are more limited in choice. You are free to wander around, but not to eat or drink at them. I wasn't particularly bothered by this as my day was quite full anyway, so i never made it as far as the Grand or the Mayan anyway. The complex is so large that there's a golf cart bus service running around the perimeter most of the day, particularly useful for the elderly. It takes an average person nearly 10 minutes to walk from the lobby to the beach in the Mexican heat, so the infirm would struggle without it.

The grounds are beautiful, with lots of native wildlife strolling around without a care amongst the guests. There are signs everywhere asking guests not to feed the animals, but they're rather redundant as the animals are quite capable of stealing your food the minute you move from your table anyway. Being so close to the animals is part of the fun of staying somewhere like this, and every guest must go home with dozens of photos of iguanas, coati's, agouti's and peacocks.

The rooms are nice and large, there's enough storage and a large flat-screen TV should you feel the need, but I never turned it on. Unlike some other hotels the small safe in the room is free of charge, but they do still charge for wifi access at about $40 a week. There's a mini-bar with some beer, water and a couple of soft drinks which is topped up at least once every 2 days, but as I dont drink beer I soon exhausted the limited supply of canned soft drink. They were often replaced with cans of mineral water, which isn't the same at all.

The pool area is massive, with several swim up bars, showers, waterfalls, jacuzzi areas, etc. It's freezing in the morning and like a hot bath in the afternoon, getting as high as 36 centigrade when I was there. There's very shallow areas for kids, submerged beds for sunbathing and an island in the middle with suspended beds that looks very nice. Every day the entertainment staff would try and prod lazy drunk people into doing sports, games and suchlike with varying results, and usually it was more fun to watch than participate.

Entertainment at night in the theatre seemed a bit variable, but I never watched more than a few minutes as I was usually off somewhere anyway. Playa Del Carmen is about 20 mins away by bus or taxi and is well worth a visit. It's bustling with bars and shops at all times of the day, and you can catch the ferry to Cozumel island if you want. It's only 145 pesos and takes about 40 minutes, and there's even a live band staggering around some of them which entertained me no end.

The only actual downside for me was the food. The selection at the buffet consisted mostly of Mexican and Italian, with a selection of European thrown in. There's a list in 4 languages posted above the counter saying what's there but its up to you to guess which dish is which. Often they use terms I'm not familiar with to describe them too, so there was the occasional accident where you would bite into a chicken nugget only to find it was cheese or squid. I admit I am a fussy eater and not into Mexican, so its my fault for going there.

However, at other Iberostars they varied more of the buffet each night (asian/US/italian) and always made sure to have relatively universal stuff like steak and potatos there too. Desserts were good, and there was loads of bread, fruit, etc. I didn't even use the themed restaurants this time as they either didn't interest me or I was told by others that the food was no better than the buffet. The Japanese restaurant was supposed to be worth a visit, but its not something I eat. Most of the time I lived on whatever meat I could find not covered in sauces with some fries or rice.

In summary, its a good hotel in a lovely location and if you're not a fussy eater you'll be fine. As with all these hotels there's only so much to do on site, but the nearby town is great for a night out and there's plenty so see and do in the countryside around. For divers its excellent, having plenty to see and ready access to Cenotes cave diving and Cozumels amazing reefs. I would certainly go back if I get the chance.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach are quieter, as they're well away from the theaters and restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank Kenny-10-Bellys
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacations.

We are glad to know that you chose us again for your vacations and you had an amazing experience with us and your family. It is a pleasure to know that the service, restaurants, and the Staff fulfilled your expectations.

We thank you for your feedback regarding the food. The Management is attentive to all our guests’ comments and we share detailed feedback to the people in charge of every department. The Executive Chef will take your feedback in consideration to keep improving our offerings and the labeling of the food.

It is a pleasure to know that you will still choose IBEROSTAR for your vacations in the future and sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the Riviera Maya.

lubbock
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you ever stayed at 5 star you would clearly know the difference. The property is beautiful and if that's all your looking for this is the place. 75% of the staff was great but the other 25% were terrible!! We just returned last night. My wife, I and 4 children from 15 to 23. The property is huge and offers a shuttle service. We waited as much as 25 minutes for a ride from the front to our room and waited many other times also comparable. The sad part is that was not because they were busy but rather hiding we believe.. Food was holiday inn express quality with better presentation. I've stayed at much nicer true 5 star resorts and spent much less! Do your homework and don't let a travel agent make you a sheep just following the Hurd blindly.

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank artibear
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear client,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations in Mexico.

We appreciate your mention of our beautifully landscaped grounds and service from many members of our staff.

We regret to know that your experience was diminished by the issues mentioned. We are sorry you did not receive top service from all our employees. Please know that we are paying close attention to this and have started a series of training programs in different departments to address certain issues that may affect our clients' stay.

As per the transportation, again, we are very sorry about the waiting you had to endure. We are also looking into it. One of the steps taken is the purchase of 2 new units to offer a faster service, and also improve the coordination of this service. We are sure the results of these actions will be palpable very soon.

We have also taken note of your comments on our gastronomy. All our guests' feedback is included in a report, which is then sent to our Management and Department Heads; in this case, to the Executive Chef. They then evaluate them and make appropriate changes, to try and adapt to all our guests' needs.

We sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future and restore your confidence in IBEROSTAR Paraiso Beach.

London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just returned yesterday after a 9 year absence from Mexico to explore many other vacation destinations,this was my 6 th time to Mexico.This property is actually 3 Iberostar properties side-by-side and the colour of your wristband determines where you can and can't eat,there is a lot of walking to and from room to beach to restaurants/bars.Travelled with Westjet and they were perfect as usual,the entire trip was exactly what I wanted and paid for.! Very clean inside and out,rooms spotless with the mini bar being refilled every other day.Beach had several chairs available,always a place to eat and the food was just fine for the week(always fresh).Staff were all friendly and accommodating and I received the same service whether I tipped or not,tipping is not expected but greatly appreciated.Lots of children at the pool and the security staff was very tolerant of the drunk 20 somethin' that thought they were farther north in Cancun.Only minor downside to the resort was it seemed that the building "woke up" exactly at 8 a.m every day and there was a lot of banging and slamming of doors so if you like to sleep in bring your earplugs...otherwise I would return to this resort...RELAX...you're on vacation.

Room Tip: Pick a room closer to the beach or you will have to listen to the nightly entertainment.Buildings 30...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank N0tan
Dear guest,

We appreciate you took the time to share your recent experience with us. We are glad to know that we were able to offer you an amazing vacation and you enjoyed your visit in Mexico. It is a pleasure for us to know that the Staff was always friendly and kind and this made your vacation excellent.

We will share your comments with our Staff since it offers a motivation opportunity for them. We will be looking forward for your next visit to our IBEROSTAR.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#97 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 9,040 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,542 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!