“fantastic ! better than the jungle book”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
South March
“fantastic ! better than the jungle book”
Reviewed 18 January 2009

My wife and I have been going to the Iberostar Paraiso beach side of this resort for three years now, and are booked for a fourth with eight of our friends in 2009/feb. This resort has everything from great food,service,landscaping, activities, to the friendly Star friends. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the resort is huge. Pools are wonderful and clean. We have brought our two teenage children with us twice and they love it. They are really mad that this year we are going without them. Beach is long and there are very few rocks , not enough to worry about. The buffet is great and there is always an assortment of snacks.
A la Carte restaurants you should book right away as to get the best nights available. There are nightly shows at the theater, star friends doing musicals and plays, very light and entertaining.
All in all it is a great resort, and we recommend it to everyone

• Liked — It was super clean and the service was excellent
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Mattscape

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2009

My wife and are a mid-forties couple. This was our 5th time to the Riviera Maya at an Iberostar property and our 3rd time to Playa Paraiso in the last 7 years. We've always been partial to Iberostar and have stayed at the Beach/Del Mar, the Tucan/Quetzal and the Lindo hotels. Although the Lindo is our favourite - it's right next door to the Beach and Del Mar, it is more expensive. The Beach and Del Mar hotels offer excellent value for the price. This time, our experience at the Beach and Del Mar was not as good as our first time here was several years ago but in hindsight I think that is only because we have been spoiled with a stay at the Lindo. The Beach and Del Mar property is spotlessly clean with beautifully landscaped gardens. The buildings are colorful and the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Buffet dining is above average, the food selection is varied with lots to choose from although the selections do not always change - they are somewhat repetitive as with any all-inclusive, particularly at breakfast and at the lunch buffets in the poolside palapas. A la carte dining is very good - on this trip we tried the Mexican, Japanese and Steakhouse restaurants and had delicious meals and excellent service at all three. The beach is lovely - very broad and deep. You can walk for miles, barefoot on the sand. At the resort beach there are plenty of lounge chairs - never a problem finding a vacant one and there are restrooms, a bar with self-service for water and soft drinks so you don't have to wait in line for the bartender, and a snack bar grill serving burgers, hot dogs, chicken, chicken wings, corn, sausage and a few other things daily until about 5PM. We spent no time at the pool but there appeared to be plenty of space there as well. The pool is fabulous and huge with a swim up bar and jacuzzis. The nightly entertainment ranges from silly to so-so to fabulous. We enjoyed the Magic Show - amazing!. The "Star Friends" activity staff work hard all day long to provide a wide range of pool and beach activities - volleyball, aerobics, yoga, and other games included. Each evening there is an awards ceremony for the daily tournament winners. Lobby bars are great and there are very good shops in both the Beach and Del Mar hotel lobbies - especially on the Del Mar side. The Playa Paraiso shopping centre is worth a visit - there are numerous shops offering a good mix of merchandise such as beach wear and T-shirts, mens and ladies fashions, shoes and boots, jewelry, cigars, tequila, and souvenirs, of course. There are a couple of places to eat there as well - a taco stand and a burger joint., both included in the all-inclusive package. Store prices are the same as in Playa del Carmen although in Playa there are more shops and more selection, of course. PDC is about a 20 minute taxi ride for 200 pesos or $20US. One taxi will take up to four passengers and you can get one right at the hotel entrance. I know you're waiting for the bad stuff - here it is, just because you won't believe that the place is so perfect... on a couple of days, the maid did not restock our mini-fridge with bottled water and we had to ask the front desk to have someone bring more. Pretty awful, huh? Sorry but that's the worst I can come up with. Truly, the place is that good. Service is terrific, food is great - just remember it's Mexico and don't go with expectations that everything is going to be like a 5-star hotel at home and you won't regret choosing this hotel. We won't hesitate to return but if we can afford it next time, we might splurge for the Lindo - it's just a bit more upscale. The Beach and Del Mar are outstanding for families - we don't have kids but we've heard that the kids club and activities program are terrific and we observed a lot of kids who looked like they were having a blast with the staff who run those programs. A final word - this resort is pretty big. Anyone with mobility challenges may find it difficult to get around, although there is an on-property shuttle to help with that and the shuttle service is excellent so there never seems to be a long wait. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any specific questions about this hotel that I can answer for you. I will also post a review on the Mayan Treasures cultural excursion to Coba.

• Liked — Beautiful resort
  • Disliked — No comment - everything was great
  • Stayed January 2009
8 Thank Wutzit2U
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Let me preface my short review of the Beach by giving you a little background on my trip. I started with 5 nights at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach which included my sister's wedding. After the wedding we spent 2 days at the Grand Hotel Paraiso, then after my family left, my friend flew down for 5 nights including 2 hotels in Playa del Carmen: Hotel Playa del Karma and Hotel Cielo.

Pools and Beach: The pool was large and beautiful. It didn't look like finding a sun chair would have been a problem, probably because the water in the pool was ice cold during my stay. The beach itself was rather nice, somewhat crowded, but clean and large enough to accommodate the resort while at 50% capacity. It might be frightening to see this place at full capacity.

Food: Here is where my biggest complaints are. We were staying at this resort for 5 nights, so we were given only 2 nights reservations. This is a horrible policy, especially since our wedding with 55 guests brought in over $100,000 to this place. So we made our reservations for 2 nights, which seemed like a massive inconvenience for guest services. One night when we tried to walk in to a restaurant without a reservation we were turned away due to the restaurant being full. Let me tell you, the place was never more than half full, with plenty of unused tables. "No you cannot eat here, we are full" with a very rude tone and a dismissive attitude. The buffets were below average at best, even on New Years Eve for the Gala Buffet. Overall, the buffet food was frightening and screamed health hazard. The temperature inside the buffet would probably near 90 degrees F even when it was 70F outside in the evening. Horrible horrible buffet food for all meals. They wondered why we were begging to get into an ala carte restaurant. I can't put into words how disappointing the food was at this resort. We were paying $200 a night and consuming mostly stale chips and runny guacamole. If you are looking for good food, go on a cruise for half the price, or stay at the Grand Hotel for 50% more.

Service: Average to below average at best. For instance, we had a wedding on January 3rd at 4 pm. We had to pay for day passes for our guests that were not staying at the Iberostar. Those guests arrived to the Beach lobby at 2:30pm on the day of the wedding and had to fight with the staff to let them in utilizing the daypasses we had pre-arranged for them. "No you cannot come in to this resort." Our family that had to deal with this process were only minutes early to the wedding, having also to deal with a broken down golf cart--since the lobby is a 20 minute walk to the beach wedding site. The whole restaurant reservation service was also horrible. When we did manage to walk in to a restaurant with a reservation, we were treated very poorly and sat in a dark corner table. Only after I bribed our sour waiter did he begin to take notice of us. Absolutely horrible. Once again, go to the Grand Hotel or on any cruise for good service.

Rooms: Our room itself was fine had a nice view of gardens, and it was kept very clean and stocked with soda, beer, and water. There was hot water with plenty of pressure. The style was certainly outdated. The mattresses were atrocious. Get used to sleeping on lumpy rocks before you stay at the Beach. Also, our air conditioning refused to get to a comfortable sleeping temperature. So getting drunk before sleeping here is necessary. We were in building 41, which, being close to the lobby was convenient for the feeding frenzy at the buffet, but was a 20 minute walk from the beach, and a 10 minute walk from the pool. There was a trolley, but it wasn't worth the wait.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone that has stayed at any true 4 star accommodation, or even 3 stars for that matter. The food and service were truly a huge weakness for this hotel. If you are seeking either of these, or a strong connection to the ocean, go on any cruise (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess) or stay at the Grand Hotel in the same complex, see review.

• Liked — The lush grounds
  • Disliked — Service, Food, Mattress, Lack of Temperature control everywhere
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank constant_traveler87
Bismarck, ND
Reviewed 14 January 2009

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Iberostar resort from Dec. 31-Jan 5th. I would like to give you a complete review of the Iberostar Beach, but I am unable to do that because we were not allowed to stay there. Upon arrival at our hotel, we were "downgraded" to the del Mar because of overbooking at the Beach. There isn't a lot of difference between the two resorts (in fact everything is shared--beach, pool, restaurants, bars), but the rooms and hotels on the beach side are just a little bit nicer, and it was frustrating that we didn't get what we paid for. There wasn't anything we could do though.
That being said, our room at the del Mar was very clean, and it was kept clean throughout the week. We tipped the maid 2 dollars each day, and she restocked us with whatever we wanted in our fridge. Contrary to some other reviews, we had a great experience with the workers. They were very friendly and worked very hard to accomodate people. No one was rude to us at all. Hard to believe we stayed at the same place and at the same time as some of the other reviewers.
The others were correct on the food, however. It was average if not a little below. The chicken and nachos at the beach bar were pretty good, but the food at the buffets was just not very tasty. We still ate a lot because we paid for it, but I never felt very satisfied after eating there. We ate at 3 of the specialty restaurants. We slipped the hostess 5 bucks to get us in to the Mediterranean restaurant when we didn't have reservations, and we got in without any trouble. However, the food there was not good at all, and I would suggest not wasting your time there. We also ate at the Mexican--Ok, but not great, and the Japanese--by far the best meal on the resort--a must if you are staying there.
The beach area was crowded, but we never had trouble finding a chair--even if we went out there at noon. You may have to walk down the beach a little to find a spot, but we were there in high time and had no trouble. The beach was not very big--chairs took up a lot of the space, but the water was wonderful. There were a few rocks, but they were easy to avoid. Pool is a little cold, but we really didn't spend much time there...we enjoyed the beach better.
The drinks were not strong at all, so I stuck with Dos Equis (the beer on tap).
There were A LOT of families there, and we did not run into any other couple that was on their honeymoon. It is very family oriented, so if that is what you are looking for, this would be a great place for you. If this is your honeymoon, and you have already booked, don't worry, you will have a nice time, but if you haven't booked yet, I would suggest an adults only resort. If we had it to do again, that's what we would do.
If you do go to the Iberostar Beach, make sure you visit the Lomas travel people (take a left around the corner of the front desk) Ask for Diego (the best) Victor or Cesar. They took wonderful care of us, and booked a great excursion (Tulum Extreme-Tulum ruins, rappeling, zip-lining, and swimming in the cenote--underground cave--very cool) This excursion cost about $98, but it included a lot, and the chicken lunch at the end was exceptional. We only left the resort 2 other times, once for a few hours to Playa Del Carmen, and other for the Captain Hook trip in Cancun (if you get a chance, do this. It is a fun experience, and the Steak/Lobster dinner is delicious. A much needed break from the resort food.
My husband and I are middle class people (I'm a teacher and he works for the State of ND) but I have traveled a lot. This resort is OK and was very cost effective for us. If you want an inexpensive (for a Caribbean trip any way) vacation for your family, I think you would be happy here. If you want a romantic honeymoon, I would try somewhere else. I hope this helps.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Food and lack of romantic atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Frozenndgirl
Saskatchewan, canada
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We stayed at the iberostar beach resort over christmas. We went with our entire family children aged 2,4,12,16 and 17 and was much enjoyed. tThe resort was spectacular. Service was excellent and very,very clean. The staff could not have been more helpful and always had smiles on their faces. We would recommend this resort to any one who was thinking of a trip this way. It would be enjoyable for any ages as it is so large that even quiet get away is very possible, enjoy and relax it is great

Charmaine
Saskatchewan,Canada

Calgary
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We were upgraded to the Paraiso Beach from Paraiso Del Mar, and while the resort itself, the pool areas, and the beaches were beautiful, the food was so-so.

Gorgeous beach, lots of sand, kept very clean, a few rocks in the water, but not too bad (you could get around them), and TONS of lounge chairs. That was the one thing I appreciated compared to the Riu Tequila, where I stayed last year. We never had to fight for a lounge chair whether it be on the beach or by the pool. Lots and lots of space, which was great, so you didn't feel like you were overcrowded.

The pool area was beautiful too. Again, tons of lounge chairs, immaculate condition, and lots and lots of areas to swim in.

The food? Ugh... they definitely need to work on this one. The breakfast buffet was ok, lunch was ok (very similar to the Riu), but dinner?? They definitely needed some improvement on that. Not a huge selection, and what was there wasn't very appealing. (Ie: they had hot dogs as one of the options. Not gourmet sausages...I'm talking Oscar Meyer hot dogs) Their vegetables were swimming in butter and soggy, and a lot of things were just very, very bland.

We only tried one of the a la carte restaurants (we went to the Mexican one) and it was better than the buffet for sure.

The grounds are *amazing*. Absolutely gorgeous landscaping, lots of plants and flowers, lots of grass, etc. Just beautifully kept. They also had guinea fowl, swans, peacocks, and other exotic birds running around free on the property, which I thought was really nice.

When you walk around the main area of the resort where the lobby/restaurants are, the walkways are all up on a marble 'platform', and you are surrounded by water and fountains. The water looked a bit green and all, but it was still nice at night. Some ponds had koi, which was nice.

We also attended a wedding at this resort and they did an excellent job. It was very nice.

I would definitely recommend this resort, but don't expect really amazing food.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank SandraIK
niagara
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Just returned yesterday from this resort. All in all, the vacation was good. I was somewhat disappointed with the food and noted that they used cheap mixes for the alcohol. I make better margaritas at home. The service was great. The rooms were very nice. The a la carte dining was very good but the buffet was on the bland side with very little in the way of variety. Guacamole was very bland. They seemed to be very shy on the spicing of the food. I enjoyed the birds and the grounds were amazing. The beach was nice and the ocean was warm.

• Liked — rooms and cleanliness
  • Disliked — alcoholic beverages and food at the buffet
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank niagaranurse
#42 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
#44 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!