“just returned from our wedding at Iberostar Paraiso Beach”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor MIchigan
“just returned from our wedding at Iberostar Paraiso Beach”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Overall I was very impressed with the resort I was a little nervous about its size, but it isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong It's HUGE, but you get used to it.

We chose Iberostar for its family friendliness. We have a nine year old that was part of our wedding. They really go out of their way to keep the kids entertained. Our son said it was the best vacation he has ever been on.

The wedding:
10/10 I could not have asked for better. It was perfect. if you are staying at the beach or the delmar the wedding location is the same, in front of the del mar. I was surprised how little we had to meet with the wedding coordinator (only about 1 hour) to get everything worked out as far a planning. We used one of the pool bars for our reception and hired the DJ. I have heard many mixed reviews of the DJ but let me just say he was AWESOME! anything I requested he had and played. everything from journey to back that [--] up. one hint guys bring a hankerchef with you it gets real hot standing in the sun for 30 minutes waiting for your bride to walk down. especially in july. after the reception we went to the Galaxy club, kinda corny, but fun is what you make it and who you are there with. again we had a blast, and the DJ there is the same one that they use for the weddings.

Rooms:
9/10 not many complaints on the room they were very clean the A/C was hit or miss. there were 21 of us there about half of us had A/C that kept the room cold the other half it just cooled it off a bit. Not only that everytime housekeeping cleans the room and props the door open for more than a minute or two the A/C shuts off so you come back to a sweat box. I understand why they have it set up that way to save money, but it sucks in july. we were upgraded to building 31 because we were getting married. they also upgraded her sister, the maid of honor. make sure any family members mention that they are family when checking in.

Service:
10/10 Everyone is so friendly. you can not walk by anyone that works there with out a smile and an Hola. the pool bar gets a little busy, I would like to see them hire another bartender, I can't imagine what it is like when it is at full occupency. I would say the resort was about 50% full. othere than that I have no compaints. the drinks were a little watered down, but that is a good thing when it is 95 degrees

Food:
I will not rate the food because everyone has different tastes and benchmarks for what they like. I will tell you it was clean and I really enjoyed the Japanease and the brazilian resturants. If you like meat you will love the brazillian. Go hungry.

Entertainment:
7/10 I was not impressed with entertainment at all, however If you asked my son he would probably give it a 10/10 so if you have kids I guess it was good, if not don't waste your time. especially if it is hot that night. there is no air movement in the outdoor theater. it was real muggy. you will hate that song the star friends sing by the time you leave. "hey hey baby. I gotta know if you'll be my girl."

Beach:
9/10 the waves were nice, there are a few rocky spots in front of the lindo and the maya be careful. If you really want a nice beach go south past the grand there is a little outcropping of rock, about 75 meters past that there is the best beach in the world, crystal clear water and no one there. Iberostar doesn't own it but there is currently nothing there.

overall:
9/10 Great place to get married especially if you have a large group going. the resort is huge, we are both runners and our feet hurt after a week there, you do a ton of walking. there is a shuttle that comes every 15 minutes (or whenever it wants to)

we also did the Tulum Extreme tour I highly reccomend it

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kimandeddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We stayed July 16 and 17. Had we not spent the previous week at the Grand Palladium Riviera, we might not have been so disappointed with our stay at the Beach. GP was several hundred dollars less for our family of four (children 12 and 14), and in most ways far superior to our experience at the Beach. On the positive side, rooms are nice and grounds are mostly well kept. But the pool area in my opinion was a disaster. Not in great shape and not cleaned up during the day. We enjoyed the Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants, but it we hated that ridiculous "go to the lobby and see if you can get a reservation" each day thing. While the buffet had good food, it was outdoors. In the evening, we didn't want to sit out there--not because of the heat, but because of the mosquitoes (this is a problem all over the Mayan Riviera--all resorts have mosquitoes--I just don't want to bother with them while I am eating).

The beach area is lovely, but there is a strange charade that goes on every day at 5:00 p.m. The hotel sends down a poor soul whose job is to whistle at all the people in the water and tell them to come out. He says, "Now the beach is closed." We finally found the sign that does in fact say that the beach is closed at 5:00, but it is also posted "swim at your own risk." The first day we actually complied for a little while until we noticed no one else paid any attention to him. Then he disappeared, and returned again with another employee and they did the same thing again. People finally got out of the water around 7:00 p.m. What was the point?

We took a walk over to the Lindo side and saw that things were completely different and much better. Even though the resorts share the same beach, no one comes over and yells at you to get out of the water. Pool area is immaculately kept. Air conditioned buffet. Restaurant dinners every night with the concierge in the lobby of your hotel building making the reservation. We went over to the Maya lobby and asked about an upgrade. The price wasn't too much so we switched. The spa privileges alone were worth what we paid for the upgrade. Maya and Lindo are in a different league so I'm a little unclear about how these resorts are graded with stars--there is no way the Beach is four star and the Maya is three star.

We loved the Maya--it's a great resort. But at the price point of the Beach, I think that there are better alternatives. I have some reservations about recommending it--I think that you can do better.

2 Thank breezes97
Homewood, IL
Reviewed 27 July 2009

This was our 3rd time going to this resort and as always we had a terrific time. As we told one of the Star Friends, we tried a different resort last year but found that Iberostar did a much better job keeping us entertained both during the day and at night than the other place, so we returned! We arrived on July 11, and it looked like things were still a little slow for them, although they weren't upgrading anyone anymore. We didn't really like the room choice that was given to us and knew what we wanted, so we asked and the front desk was very accommodating! We had learned in years past to get to the dinner reservation desk as soon as we could, so at 4pm we went and were able to get everything we wanted, which was a first! We chose the Japanese Steakhouse, which we have loved every time. The portions were smaller than in years past, but it was still excellent. We also chose the Mexican restaurant where I had the best Mexican coffee ever! (Even better than the one they serve at the buffet during Mexican night) He made it right at our table with lots of liquor. It was quite a show he put on while making it. In talking with our waiter, it was clear that they had been hit by the decrease in tourism. Tables weren't filed because staff had been let go during the slow period. Everyone worked doubly hard to ensure a good time by the guests. The shows were good and you can't beat the fun games and Star Friend dance! The pools didn't seem to be as kept up as they usually are and one guest got sick after chemicals were poured in and she breathed in the fumes, but other than that, the drinks were plentiful and the swimming was great! The beach was raked ever night to pick up "stuff" and was beautiful every day. The rocks left from the hurricane of a few years ago are either gone or covered by sand, so it is wonderful gulf swimming. There were plenty of chairs both at the pool and the beach so it was easy to go back and forth between both. The food in the buffets was great. Everyone always found something they liked although we did notice that there weren't as many choices as there had been before. Overall, it is an excellent resort with top quality staff! My 12 year old has gone each time and still loves it! I would recommend it to anyone, families, couples, friends, etc! It is a terrific get away!

2 Thank MsCathy530
Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Just got back yesterday. My family and I went down there with some of our very best friends. There were 4 parents and family, ages 18-24. I have been there 2 times before and have always had a great stay. This time, however, seemed better. I think the Paraiso Beach has "kicked everything up a notch". The hotel is, and always has been, absolutely breathtaking. The landscaping is well maintained and the rooms are well kept and very comfortable. The only thing I would have hoped for, is my room to be a little cooler than 21 degrees celsius. (thats what the thermostat said. I think it was probably closer to 25 celsius or 78 degress fahrenheit). They do have ceiling fans in the rooms and they are quite clean and comfortable otherwise.

The staff, from the front door to the back is excellent. Everybody is very friendly and ready to help you with anything you need. Special recognition goes to Roger at the back swim-up bar. He is the best!! The buffet food is good. It's not going to make your think of Emeril, but it's well perpared and varied from day to day. The dining out meals you get to choose from are good - and some are great. I would recommend the Japanese and Steakhouse restaurants - but all seemed to be good from what I heard.

The entertainment from 10:00 a.m. at the pool and beach - until 11:00 p.m. at the entertainment venue is well organized, well produced and well executed. The "Star Team" is especially a lot of fun - as they are the group in charge of FUN. Most of them seem to enjoy what they do and helping you get the most from your time there. They also are part of the opening act entertainment in the evening. They are talented and energetic. The entertainment is what I thought had gotten better since I was there a couple of years ago. Top notch and well worth the evening out after dinner. My kids went to the Galaxy Disco, which stays open from 11 p.m. until 3 a.m. I didn't go there, myself, but our kids seemed to like it enough to go there almost every night.
Overall, I don't think you will find a better value on the Mayan Riviera. Is it perfect - NO - but it surpassed my expectations again - and then some.

8 Thank onekenny
Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach. (Pronouced "Parra eesso) It was a lovely vacation but I need at least a day or two to recover from the tremendous amount of walking we did. The resort is very long with the main buffet and theater being at one end of the property and the beach at the other end...hence, the walking. The resort does provide a tram that supposedly runs every 10 minutes, but we didn't often hit the trail at the right time apparently. There are 5 hotels in this one Iberostar Resort. The Del Mar is at one end of the beach, followed by the Paraiso Beach hotel, the Lindo, and the Grand. The "Maya" is in front of the Grand but doesn't actually front on the beach. If you are a guest at the Paraiso Beach hotel, you can use any of the facilities at the Del Mar. You are welcomed to visit the LIndo, Grand, and Maya but are not allowed to use their pools, lazy river, food or drink. My husband and I took a look around all the properties just to see what was there. For a little more money, you can upgrade to the Lindo and enjoy the lazy river and wave pool. If those things aren't important to you, Paraiso Beach is a better value.

I am not suggesting that you opt for another resort unless walking is especially difficult. It is very beautiful. The grounds are lush, there are a variety of animals....peacocks, swans, parrots, flamingos, cats and some cute furry little critters (I think they are named "Coatis", not sure). We only saw a couple of lizards and iguanas which was surprising. The resort even had a couple of deer on the grounds. So, if you are a nature lover, you will really enjoy this aspect. Buildings 34 and 35 are located in the center. I would suggest requesting one of these two buildings to cut down on the amount of time it takes to get to the buffet each morning and night.

The rooms are very nice and comfortable. I think it was one of the better beds I've slept on in Mexico. Pillows are small, so I slept on two. We left a $5 tip for house cleaning each day and always had one of the cute "towel creations". I also used the door tag to request extra bottled water and our mini-bar always had plenty of bottled water.

The entertainment was good, but was much better at the Barcelo Maya when we stayed there a few years ago. The emcee at the Iberostar was magnetic and energetic, but his Spanish accent was so thick I almost never understood anything he said...and since he was speaking English, it wouldn't have helped much to know Spanish. He gets an A+ for energy and enthusiasm though! The after-show party was always fun. They would bring the kids up on stage after the show and let them perform some of the line dances they learned from the "Star Friends" (staff) during the day. Then the adults would form a conga line around the theater and continue with other line dances and Salsa dancing at the foot of the stage. All the theater performers would join in so nobody had to dance without a partner if they were single.

We arrived on Friday evening during the "Pre-Mexican (Mayan) Show. It was SO boring! But, we were delighted that the other shows turned out to be very entertaining. If you're planning an evening trip into Playa del Carmen or Cancun, I would suggest going on the night that the resort is doing the Mayan show. We had two 19 year olds and a 23 year old with us. They usually hung out after the show at The Galaxy night club. It's a little lame, (space themed) but they had a good time anyway.

The pool is huge! If you want peace and quiet, the waterfall pool area is the quietest. The activity pool is near the beach. Plenty of chaise lounges and palapas at the pool and beach. Lots of showers available to wash the sand and chlorine off as well. There are two swim up bars also.

There are two PADI dive centers on the beach also. The one that is situated in front of the Del Mar hotel area is where you can rent jet skis, banana boat rides, snorkeling trips, scuba trips, and parasail trips. My husband and I parasailed for the first time and loved it! It was nice that we didn't even have to leave the resort to do this too! There is another PADI dive center at the other end of the beach (near the Lindo and Grand hotels). Here you can check out free kayaks, wind surfing boards, and catamarans for an hour a day.

The Paraiso Beach hotel, Del Mar, Lindo, and Grand all front on the beach. The very best swimming area is right in front of the Paraiso Beach hotel and is marked off by bouys. There's no need for water shoes. We only encountered a couple of rocks near the farthest edge of the swimming area and minimal sea grass. Compared to the Barcelo Maya where we stayed a few years back, this is a superior beach, but we had a great time at both places.

I suggest having lunch either at the grills located right on the beach, or the snack bars located between the pool and the beach. It's too far to walk back to the main buffet.

We found out too late that there is a photography service located in the Del Mar lobby area. They take your photo on the beach or at the pool area. On specific days they schedule photos with either a spider monkey, iguana, parrots, or a toucan. You won't find any info about this in your room, or in the lobby of the Paraiso Beach Hotel, so if you are interested in this, call or visit the lobby of the Del Mar side.

Ice cream is served at the pool and most dining areas. I'm a big chocolate fan, but Mexican chocolate is a tad bitter. The chocolate chip ice cream was fabulous though! My husband really liked the hazelnut flavor also. This was a nice treat during after being in the sun a while.

There is a shopping complex with lots of shops...night clubs also located there. Gift shops are a little better in the Del Mar lobby than in the Paraiso Beach lobby.

Finally, if you are walking a great distance and don't want to wait on the tram, it is a much cooler, shadier walk along the pool pathway than along the road where the tram pick-ups are.

All in all, this resort was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Still, I think I will opt for a resort that doesn't have such a lengthy and linear layout next time. I have heard that the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal is nice and not so large. People we met on the transport to the airport highly recommend the RIU Playacar as well. You can't go too wrong at an all-inclusive on Mayan Riviera though. If you don't have fun, you might need to check your attitude!

3 Thank darcyharris
Wilmington,De. 19805
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Enjoyed everything --the pool is one of a kind,the food-entertainment-and the beach was far above what i expected,nothing like sitting on the beach with a cold refreshing drink,cant wait to go back.------------------------------------Buzz & Diane Schneider---PS-The prople that work there''Krystal--Carman--Luis'' go out of there way to make sure you have a great time.---Worth every penny--go for it--bye

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My wife and I stayed 5 nights with 2 17-year old girls and 2 18-year old boys. Everything was great. We arrived on a Saturday and learned that the hotel had been closed for 6 weeks (swine flu reaction?) and had just reopened two days earlier. We were told it was 80% full and there were no crowds anywhere and no problems finding palapas around the pool or on the beach. The food was typical all inclusive food and the variety was very good. We tried the Japanese specialty restaurant and it was very good. The rooms were clean and well attended. The Star Friends were very attentive and helpful and very nice. The place is huge but once you learn your way around it was not a problem other than a lengthy walk to and from the buffets. But, the walks were through very well maintained grounds and quite nice. Overall, a very nice trip. We would come back again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
#70 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#41 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!