“You get what you pay for.”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This place is HUGE, so be prepared to get your exercise to'ing and fro'ing lobby/beach/room. No place to get a cup of coffee unless you make it in your room or wait until restaurants open at 9am. Don't misplace your towel at the pool, or you will be charged $25. No food at the pool. Internet is free in lobby, $10/day for open access that was hit or miss. Food was hit or miss and other than the French restaurant, was largely buffet style. Excelletn meal at teh French restaurant. Pool staff and pool was good. Check-in staff was borderline rude. Was given ride to where our rooms were, but we had to wrestle our bags up 2-3 flights of stairs. Booking dinner was a pain in the .... We booked dinners before we got here and they had no record, so we got 9 pm meals every night and when tried to change was told everything was booked, yet never saw a restaurant more than 50% full. Septic system overflowed for two days making a 2 building corridor smell horrid and when asked about moving, they said the hotel was full (lie) and they were working on fixing it. Beach is not kite friendly as were were told that flying was not allowed (lie - its a public beach). Beds are extremely hard. This is our 5th "all-inclusive" Riviera Maya trip and the 3 times we did not go to a DREAMS resort have left wishing we had.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear guest,

Let us begin by extending a special word of thanks for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to spend your vacations with us. We extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort.

Our restaurants are very popular in our resort, and all of our guests love to visit them, when our guests make their dinner reservations in advance, our concierge department sends them the confirmation numbers and upon arrival those numbers are changed for their ticket reservation. At IBEROSTAR we have the 4 different timings which we do to fill to their complete capacity, this is due to the reason that we try to guarantee our guests a good personalized service which would not be the same if we had a full restaurant, plus this way we give our guests more time to enjoy their dinning without feeling pressured to have to leave the restaurant for the following sitting coming. Although sometimes guests do not show up, we have to give them a 20 minutes courtesy time, after this time, due to availability, we are able to receive other guests before their reservation time. However please be sure that your comments will be reviewed and considered.

We regret you did not find our accommodations to be adequate; Our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on improving our facilities and the preventive maintenance program is continuously taking place. So your feedback is very useful for us to identify areas of concern that must be fixed straight away. We apologize for the inconvenience experienced.

Please be sure that we will do our best to improve our service to avoid unhappy guests. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions or requirements.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,053)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We got married here on the 29th June 2012, it was absolutely amazing. We couldn't think of a bad thing to say about it. If you go here you will have a wonderful holiday and Lily the wedding planner took care of everything. We went as a medium size group and all had a wonderful time. Great food, fun entertainment and lovely grounds and great rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SS9ER
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Lindo we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. Your fabulous experience may encourage other travelers to choose us as their wedding destination in Mexico.

We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable vacation and that you were pleased with the facilities and services provided by the hotel and its friendly hard working staff. We really appreciate your recognition for our service. We will forward your comments to Ms. Lilly who will be very glad to know that she was part of your happiness

We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the near future!

Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at the Lindo for Spring break with our 3 boys, ages 13, 11 and 9. We had a great time. Boys insisted that I give it a 5 rating. Rooms are fine and you are hardly in them. Pool was fantastic, and we spent most of our time there. Water was pretty rough down at beach, and it is a little rocky, so we didn't spend as much time down there as I expected. My boys loved the daily activities... rifle shooting, archery, pool games. Star Friends do a great job - know you by name, encouraging you to participate, making sure you are having a good time. Many thanks to Diego, especially, but also Gil and Rocco. I sent an email a few weeks ahead of time to make sure we had dinner reservations at a few restaurants. We particularly liked the Japanese and the Steak restaurants. My only complaint on restaurants is appetizers and desserts are still buffet-style. I didn't love someone getting up and down from the table constantly. Not very relaxing or conducive to conversation. Otherwise, shows were fun. We loved segway tour. And enjoyed hitting balls on the driving range at the Golf Course. Boys also loved the animals roaming the resort. All in all, a great trip and I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Triona S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thanks for your lovely feedback, we work very hard in order to provide great experiences, and thanks to your comments we realize that we have reached our main goal which is to meet and exceed your satisfaction.

We are happy to read that our pools, rooms, our food in our restaurants, and our friendly staff helped you have a great stay. We will congratulate Diego, Gil and Rocco for the excellent service provided during your visit. Likewise we will share your comment on the appetizers and desserts with our Executive chef to take into account.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Warm Regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I have been to Mexico many times, four times to the Cancun/Riviera Maya area. This time my mom and our three kids came as well. I read tons of reviews and posts about Paraiso Lindo. We arrived at the resort, driving past hedges of fuscia flowers, seeing peacocks and coconut palms everywhere, and now stood gazing at beautiful palapa-covered raised walkways dividing blue pools and fountains. and wondered why there had been so many negative reviews.
From what I'd heard, I expected things to look a little run down. With the exception of the shortage of and half-inflated tubes in the wave pool, everything looked well-cared for by hard-working and busy employees. We saw them painting huge walls with rollers alone, hand-trimming hedges, hauling luggage up and down stairs.

The food was excellent, particularly El Museo y El Mediterraneo. The buffet was good as well. It would have been nice to be able to get into the Mexican restaurant, but it is in the Maya, and their guests get first pick.
As another reviewer commented, this is Mexico. Expect the food and everything else, I'd add, to be a bit different. We were impressed by the abundance of Mexican food, something lacking at Barcelo. if you want the best food, choose what they do best. Seafood and Mexican. Wonderful lobster, fabulous tacos. The waiter at El Mediterraneo even gave us a plate of extra lobster.

We chose Lindo because it was supposed to be good for families, and because of the wave pool and lazy river. My kids did enjoy the lazy river, but preferred the real waves to the wave pool. The pools were absolutely gorgeous, but the kids preferred to be on the beach. Who can blame them? Soft, white sand, easy to walk on, clear turquoise water.
We did see lots of little kids in the wave pool, so perhaps it's better for the under 12 set. It was nice that the buffets had selections for kids, since our kids may be 12 and over, but still eat like kids. El Fogon had its own kids' section that always included chicken nuggets, fries, and plenty of desserts.

The Iberostar staff work very hard to create a pleasant experience. We had a serious mix-up with our reservation that could have ruined our vacation. The manager, Evelyn Martinez, a lovely woman with an ever-present smile, helped us out. She put a lot of time and effort into fixing what was our (unintentional) mistake.
Jose, who took us to our room that first day, was also very kind and helped us find our way back to the buffet when he saw us a few minutes later.

Compared to Barcelo and Mayakoba, where we've stayed before, it was pleasant to have a (comparatively) short walk to the beach and restaurants. There is lots of walking, and no elevators in the buildings.

We liked the on-property shopping center. Unlike some cruise ships that charge extra for specialty shops, the creperie/ice cream and taqueria in the center were free. We watched a fascinating Mayan show there with music, dancing, etc.

THINGS TO KNOW: Lindo shares a fitness center with the Del Mar part of Paradiso. It's across the street from the Shopping Center, adjacent to the Del Mar entrance, so factor a 5-10 minute walk into your workout time. The gym is large, with a decent selection of weight equipment and some exercise machines.
The pool chairs do fill up by around 8 a.m. or earlier. The policy says not to reserve, but no one is there to enforce it, so everyone reserves it anyway, and if you wait, you'll be out of luck. We were usually able to find places on the beach, but get there early as well.
Towel Cards: You have to turn the towels back in for your key cards at the end of your stay. My daughter lost one. They said, "The first one is on us, the second on you." We were careful not to lose more towels. The room keys demagnetize easily. You can ask the concierge in your building to call for a replacement, but this takes a while. Someone has to deliver them, and you can only get two. Getting two more keys deactivates your current key. It's better to walk to lobby where you can get up to three keys at the same time.
Junior Suites: If someone would make actual two-room suites in Mexico, we'd love it. These are slightly bigger than the regular rooms, but it's all open, and only one bath. From the photos, we assumed the couch is a hide-a-bed. Not so. Fortunately we were able to get cots in the rooms.

52 is the only building with suites. We liked the location, close to the beach and pool. It would have been nice to be on the second floor, since we've heard the first floor has lots of ants (we had a few, but not a problem). We were on the third floor, which meant my mother had a lot of stairs to climb, but she was a good sport. 52 is further from the nice buffet: Laguna/Pagoda. We were close to El Fogon, across from the pool, a casual buffet by day and the steakhouse/Mediterranean restaurant by night. There is also a grill right on the beach, and an ice cream place above the swim-up bar in the main pool.

There were always lots of activities for people who chose to participate, from games in the pool to volleyball to airsoft and archery. I enjoyed the amusing water aerobics, as well. The teacher showed up one day in a Carmen Miranda type outfit. He was hilarious!

Sure, people who spend this much on airfare, hotel, and transfers expect a lot. But if you know not to expect two-room junior suite, and if you can appreciate that the food will be good but not the same as home (isn't "different" one reason for travel?), if you can handle stairs instead of an elevator, and appreciate how hard everyone works so you can have a good time, then you will enjoy Iberostar as much as we did. We were sad to leave.

My husband's only negative comment was that the resort was crowded. Yes, but this is Spring Break, and there were lots of college students, some taking the all-you-can drink perk a little too literally. I would like to return, but will try to avoid the Spring Break crowds. The Grand, next door, didn't seem crowded, however, so it might be a better option for April.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Bslovetravel
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your great comments about our resort.

We are very grateful to know that you enjoyed our resort and our services and that you had a great time during your visit. Our staff will be very happy to know that they contributed to your happiness, be sure we will share your comments with them.

At IBEROSTAR we work hard to provide the best for our guests in order to fulfill their expectations; we really appreciate your feedback as it is thanks to your comments we realize that our effort are worth it.

We are quite confident that you will be staying again at IBEROSTAR and we therefore anxiously await your next visit.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

6 of us stayed at this hotel March 16-23, 2014. The first day it rained hard and as myself and my friend were walking back from the beach I fell down a flight of their stairs. My main recommendation to the hotel is to put non-slip coating on the stairs at least. It was very painful and a manager told me if I needed a doctor I could bring my credit card with me to see their on site doctor. This was the only negative comment I have about the resort. The ocean was amazing some rocks but you could find an easy entry/exit without stepping on them. The drinks are amazing. They have a drink of the day which helps you when you get bored of drinking the same ol. I drank teliqulia with pineapple juice and a lime slice all week! Mmmm ! The food at the buffet was delicious. I wasn't impressed with the Mexican al a carte which is disappointing. The guacamole is the best I've ever tasted. I would definitely recommend this resort to everyone.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Sweetnyss
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the Manager, we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the IBEROSTAR Paraiso Lindo and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us in this paradisiacal spot in the Riviera Maya.

On the other hand, we are sorry you about the accident you had, we hope you are good now. Please know that our Maintenance department works on several methods to try and make the surface rougher. However you can be certain we will share your comments with them for their consideration.

Thank you for your preference and for your excellent review. We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel to pamper you with the excellent service that you and your family deserve!

Warm regards,

Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I read a lot of reviews a few weeks before we traveled. I have to say I was a bit nervous based on some of the negative comments. After the first day at the Lindo I was shocked by some of the negative thoughts. My husband and I have very discerning travel tastes. We've stayed at amazing resorts in Maui, Costa Rica, Cabo, New York, ect. This is Mexico, and it can't be compared to a place like the Trump in New York, however ... the Lindo is a fantastic place to spend a vacation, particularly with children. We traveled with extended family. We had 4 adults, and 5 kids aging from 14-8. All 9 of us had an amazing week.

The resort is well kept. There were people working all hours of the day. Often when we were heading back to our room late at night there were staff cleaning the pool. During the day workers were keeping up the grounds, painting, cleaning, sweeping ect. We enjoyed all the pools, the beach and the enormous assortment of activities. There was something to do all the time ... we had planned to take a few excursions but never ended up leaving the resort. The guys went into Playa del Carmen twice to take in March Madness basketball. There were not a lot of American TV channels to choose from.

The food was good. Not great but very good. Our kids all thought they died and went to food heaven. Fries, onion rings, grilled chicken, pizza, burgers, omelettes, donuts, pancakes, fruit, crepes, and ice cream Everywhere. They couldn't have been happier. We adults rated the food at a B or B-. That being said, there was always something to chose from. The pasta station at the dinner buffet was fantastic. We had lobster 3 nights (Meditterenean, Mexican & Buffet). The steakhouse was good. The Japanese was really good. Drinks were available all the time. I asked for name brand liquor at all the bars (Bicardi, Absolute, Jose Cuervo) and was always served with a smile. Some of the drinks were better than others. I took along $100 in $1s and frequently tipped the wait staff by the pool, as well as restaurant servers, the omelette chef & the maids. The pool bar servers came around often and would even take our Bubba Mugs back to the bar to be filled. Hard working staff!!

Our rooms were VERY clean, spacious and very good for Mexico. Again, nowhere close to a 5 star in other parts of the world, but for Mexico they were the best we've had (other than in Cabo). I took along some B&Body works room spray and used it regularly. Took care of any funky smells. The cleaning staff was by each morning, filled our refrigerators with whatever we requested, and often came back while we were at dinner to straighten, turn down and get rid of wet towels. We were on the 2nd floor in building 53 and were very pleased.

The shows at night were pretty good. Be SURE to see the Magic Show. Really REALLY good.

My husband and son golfed twice. Very good value for the course.

A few suggestions... Bring along tubes (they'll inflate them for you) and balls. Bring lots of $1s. Bring more sunscreen than you think you'll need. The sun is VERY intense and sunscreen is very expensive. Come with a great attitude expecting to have lots of fun. We would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank 971JessicaH2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chose to stay with us and for sharing your experience of your recent stay in Mexico.

Our main goal is to offer the best vacation experiences to our guests, so we really appreciate all the positive points you have mentioned.

Thank you for your preference and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and pamper you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was our second iberostar stay and we plan on more. It was amazing, beautiful and inviting. We enjoyed the Buffett restaurants the most as reservations to the others were cumbersome and not usually worth it. We do wish however that the resort would impose the no reserving chairs rule as we found it difficult to find an open chair even when no one was sitting there. Bartenders, waitstaff and bus girls and boys were amazing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank Acarey22
Dear guest,

Thank you for allowing us to host your holidays for the second occasion. Our mission is to make every stay as close to perfection as possible ensuring our guests with an ultimate relaxing experience. We are proud to know our staff members continue to accomplish this goal day by day.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to your now home away from home for another great experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!